Glee's All-Time Best: 'Don't Rain on My Parade' Battles 'Songbird' for Last Spot in Semifinals

Santana and Rachel go head-to-head once more in the last Quarterfinal matchup of’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament.

Yes indeed, it’ll either be “Songbird” or “Don’t Rain on My Parade” that represents the “Solos” Division among the Final 4 performances vying to be ranked at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Wednesday and Thursday, July 20 and 21, around 4:00 p.m. ET, we’ll launch the semifinal battles, and voting for the finals will begin on Saturday, July 23. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinals voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in how we narrowed the field from 64 down to 8 — click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Paris says:

This is going to be an ugly battle but DROMP for the win. That performances is one of glee’s best in my opinion. It solidified my love for glee and was the high point of glee (first thirteen episodes of the season). The range and passion that Rachel showed was amazing!! Even though Songbird is a beautiful song and I know the Britanna fans love it, to me Dromp is the superior song that won them the Sectionals.

• Iris says:

I agree. DROMP is the most epic ever!

Anyway, why has Naya gotten so white? Is she ashamed of being back? Girl stop trying to be white and show your roots.

• Dakota says:

You know Naya is Hispanic, right?

• mk says:

so many things wrong with this comment, i dont know where to begin.

• Fleet1987 says:

Just so you know, Naya is part hispanic, black and german. The makeup, costume and general look of the cast is decided by the production crew of Glee. She has no control over it. And honey, I think you’re overreading/overreaching.

• Some chick says:

DROMP was preformed extremely well but just for a competition
          songbird was song amazingly and it had an meaning behind it giving it more deapth
          oh and before you start saying I must be a brittana fan I would just like to say

brittana are the best actors in the show they are both sensational singers and HeMo beats harry shun hands down in both looks and dance skill

• jim says:

But DRMOP meant more to Rachel the club and the show overall. And sorry but Heather is not one of the best actors or singers. I’ll give you dancer but please.

• Marisa says:

Really Iris??? – what does Naya’s look have anything to do with this? She is multi-ethnic anyway: half hispanic (Puerto Rican), quarter caucasian (German) and quarter african-american. If you watched Glee, you’d also know her character, Santana, is supposed to be hispanic. Anyway, she is beautiful and she sings equally beautifully.

• Ann Flynt says:

“Don’t Rain On My Parade,” is one of the best Streisand songs ever. I loved how the group just “put on a show,” especially when they had lost Finn (they thought), and then pulled up their dance shoes and led with Rachael. So sorry that Finn, Rachael and Curt won’t return. Kind of a sneaky move on the producer’s part, but guess that is why they are having “THE GLEE PROJECT” this summer. Still ticked off!

• GleEsin says:

Finn, Rachel* and Kurt* will return for Season 3. We always knew that they would graduate in the end. Why is this news such a surprise for you people??

• imi says:

The news is that those 3 were named and other were not.

Also shows have been know to change course and stretch things out or recon things too.

2. Glee kid says:

ugh. both are lame. Where is the dancing at? Spoiler alert…. Mike Chang is going to dance and sing and will get the #1 spot next. done. Go Mike Chang

• Lindsey K. says:

Honestly? I’d pick Brittany as a dancer over Mike. He’s cool and all, but she’s a lot more technical with her moves.

• Banon says:

True. If anything, Mike’s dancing is starting to look a little too repetitive..

• M. Chang says:

Hi. I must disagree. Have you ever heard of The LXD? Well Harry Shum Jr. is a part of that group. The person that runs The LXD makes all of the Step Up movies. Brittany isn’t even pretty. Leave now!

• Somebody says:

Excuse me? Heather Morris is gorgeous. And why are we talking about something that’s not even relevant to the poll?

• Fleet1987 says:

Sorry but I can’t take you seriously. “Brittany isn’t even pretty”? Really? Hilarity. And yes, I have heard of The LXD. I was talking about MIKE CHANG as a character, not Harry Shum’s affiliates outside the show. I was merely stating my observations because I call it like I see it. And “Leave now!” Hahahaha. I can’t even-

• Me says:

Uhm, you are so off the topic. Brittany isn’t even pretty? WOW. You definitely need to go to the nearest eye doctor. You have the worst case that I’ve encountered in my life. I would choose Heather Morris over Harry Shum, Jr.

• mila says:

I don’t think Heather is very pretty her eyes are kind of creepy. She is attractive enough but she is low on the list of the girls in attractiveness.

• M. Chang says:

Mila spits the truth. She has a good body but her face is ok. Other than Mila, be gone!

3. Stacie says:

This is a tough one. I am a huge Brittana fan and think Songbird is one of the best performances, but Don’t Rain On My Parade was ridiculously good. Songbird was so powerful and the emotions by Naya Rivera and Heather Morris help me vote for it, but Lea Michele’s take on this song will make it tough to beat.

4. joe says:

I love Naya and Songbird is great but DROMP is a classic and not only was great for Rachel arc but ti is great for the glee club overall.

What you don we are going to keep on going. Sue the bullies whoever are not going to rain on the glee club.

5. ASH says:

I actually didn’t think DROMP broke any new ground with that performance (though I love Lea Michelle otherwise). But I haven’t forgotten the goosebumps I felt when Santana sang “Songbird.” Here’s a song I’ve heard a zillion times over the years, and yet I felt as though I was hearing it for the first time. That performance is tops for me.

6. Chad says:

Songbird means more than DROMP!

• Lily says:

no it doesn’t. I see that you are a Britanna fan. I hope that the shippers won’t ruin the competition.

• Me says:

please learn how to spell Brittana.

• Natalie says:

HAHAHA!!! I agree with Chad…..yes, please learn how to spell the best fandom ever. This is just my opinion but Songbird did have more emotional depth to it than DROMP. The latter was just sung to win a competition, whereas Songbird was meant to convey real feelings to another person. I’m not saying Lea Michele didn’t do an amazing job, but it wasn’t as personal as Songbird. That’s why I voted for Songbird.

Plus, I’m a total Brittana fan and I will go down with my ship. Just saying…

• Kent says:

it was the second time for Santana to declared her love for Brittany. It was nice moment for only 2 members of glee.

DROMP mean the whole club wasn’t going to let anyone bring them down and it won them Sectionals so they could continue on.

• Joann says:

No it doesn’t! Get real.

• ck says:

yeah to Brittana fans…but that’s just about it

• gageasg says:

Yeah but to Lea Michele fans her vocals were just KILLER. Songbird and DROMP are my FAVORITES but DROMP is a CLASSIC, her voice was just so powerful and incredible.

7. RS says:

Bleh, hated both: one shouty and one whiny. So many better Lea solos…most of them not even on the poll.

8. Laure says:

DROMP is the best performance on Glee. Nothing else has ever come close to the power and emotion of that performance.

• Ben says:

Completely agree. I hope it wins the whole thing, but there are big hurdles to go yet.

• Daisy says:

I couldn’t agree more. I rewound that song over and over and Lea just nailed it and it just fit her character so well. I love Songbird–it’s one of my all-time favorite Fleetwood Mac songs–and it was sung well, but even remembering Lea singing DRoMP is giving me goosebumps as I write this. That was an AMAZING performance, while Songbird was a good performance (IMO).

• 10sirk says:

iawtc – it is the only performance that has given me goosebumps.

9. get it right says:

Sadly this will be all about a ship and not about the song as the rest of them.

When people go back to glee they will talk about DROMP.

It was the cumulative point in the first 13 and left a lasting impression.

It was performed at the Tonys, a part of both tours and will be in the 3D movie for a reason.

Get it right people even if you do ship a certain pair.

• Laure says:

DROMP is still the performance every competition performance is compared to. It set the standard and they still haven’t been able to match it.

10. Isa says:

I’m a hardcore Brittana shipper but i voted DROMP.

11. Amy says:

DROMP was absolutely brilliant. Lea/Rachel was so good it brought tears to my eyes. I love Songbird too, but it is not my favorite or my favorite Santana song.

12. Daniel says:

Um…Songbird is a Fleetwood Mac song – appearing in the Fleetwood Mac-inspired episode, ‘Rumours,’ as originally sung by Christie Mcvie – c’mon Slezak!

13. Kate says:

Darn it. I can’t choose. Absolutely love both songs. Nope, can’t choose, won’t choose.

14. raycho says:

I am a huge Brittana fan and Songbird really gave me chills and I loved it so so much. BUT I can not deny that DROPM was absolutely amazing and Lea Michele has such a powerful and mesmerizing voice.
    So I have to vote for DROMP.

Can I also say that people need to stop the hate. Glee is about aceptance and not hating others for their differences. So what if someone prefers Songbird? So what if they ship Brittana? That is no reason to insult them and get mean.

Sorry, it just angers me. Share love, not hate people.

• kent says:

i don’t really see any of that hate (yet) I just think people have seen the other songs and shippers have dominated. People are just asking folks to vote without bias to their ship if possible.

Both song are great but DROMP was a all and all show stopper.

15. Claire says:

Two terrific performances that couldn’t be more different in terms of style and circumstance. This is a tough choice, but whatever your vote, it’s not necessary to insult the other side. It’s just a TV show!

16. J says:

This is a very tough one. I’m a huge Brittana fan, but I’m also a huge fan of the DROMP performance. To me these are two of the best performances in the show’s history. DROMP is probably the best technical performance, while Songbird gets my vote for best emotional performance. Tough, tough, tough…

17. Valeska says:

Ow, both songs and either Naya Rivera or Lea Michele really deserve to win! But it was, is and always will be my favourite… Songbird!

18. vote turth says:

DROMP still talked about and as said is the highlight of competitions.

I understand Songbird was special for San/Brit, but DROMP was pivotal for the entire glee club.

Actually to be honest it was pivotal for the who show was a series. It was a showstopper and left the show off on such a highlight before along hiatus.

I think it might actually be what got Lea Michele a golden globe and emmy nomination.

19. A says:

I’m as big of a Brittana fan as you can get but I’ve gotta vote for DROMP. Rachel killed that song and it included the whole Glee club.

20. Red says:

I’m still waiting for someone to tell me what was so great about ‘Songbird’. It wasn’t that emotional? Didn’t she drop one tear? Oh, please. I know the shippers want it, but c’mon 1) the meaning of the song and emotion all left 10 minutes later when Santana denied Britany, 2) its not Santana’s best, and the orginal kicks ass. 3) When were Santana and Britany ever a couple, I must of missed that?

DROMP, was spectacular, I forgot I was watching a TV show. I was so in the moment, and I think that performance solidified Glee as a powerhouse and I really think it earned Lea Michele her Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. DROMP, FTW.

21. sophie says:

first of all, i am a rachel berry fan for life. number one, top of my charts, etc. that being said, season 2 santana and naya freaking rivera in general have made me so proud and happy of who i am.

this was a really hard choice, but i’m voting for songbird because of one thing: the story. if rachel had sung dromp because she was yelling at everyone she knows for trying to bring her down to their level, or if she’d been chosen initially to sing the solo at sectionals because the entire glee club supported and believed in her, i might’ve voted for it. but she wasn’t, and they didn’t.

santana, to contrast, sang songbird in an almost empty room to the love of her life because she wanted to let brittany know how much she cares about her. i was sobbing into my pillow by the time the song was done, and the raw emotion on naya’s face during this number makes it my choice, hands down.

brittana and faberry for life.

• Jamie says:

No she sang it becasue nobody was going to get any onf them down.

Sue and the rest who are against the glee club go ahead. They will not rain on thier parade.

Santana had just voiced her feeling for Brittany with Landslide. She had told her this was the third time in as many epsisodes.

It was nicely done yes, but…

Anyway DROMP is just a much more technically difficult song too and Lea nailed. it.

• Mark S says:

I voted for DROMP, but to play devil’s advocate, the only reason that song was done storyline wise was because Sue leaked the playlist and Rachel has been practicing that song since she was five. The club agreed that Rachel do a song because she had the best chance at a solo on the fly, but they didn’t know what she was going to sing. I will give you that the song does have meaning for the show, but they didn’t know that storyline wise.

• Jane says:

You are being to literal for glee.

The song was picked by the writers of reason. For all the writers, cast and crew knew this was the last episode ever.

So this was saying that these kids no matter what were not going to let other take away what was important to them.

• Ben says:

The writers, cast and crew all definitely knew they were getting picked up by the time that episode was filmed. Don’t be silly.

• Dem says:

No, they didn’t know they were being picked up for the full season yet. FOX didn’t order a full season until September 2009, and by this time, all 13 episodes had already been filmed. Basically, they filmed the first 13 episodes not knowing whether it would get picked up or not.

• oh please says:

I think you’re actually a Brittana fan pretending to be a Rachel Berry to make your opinion seem more “valid” and “convincing.” Because nobody who’s actually Rachel Berry’s number 1 fan would choose anything over DROMP or give such an asinine reason for doing so.

• sophie says:

actually, if you knew me you would know that i am one of the biggest rachel fans there is. i am rachel berry. however, i am also a lesbian who is incredibly proud of who she is, and i take extreme pride and comfort in the brittana storyline.

furthermore, who are you to say that being a brittana fan and being a rachel berry fan are mutually exclusive? i picked the song i thought was the right choice based entirely on how they each made me feel, not some whacked-out allegiance to fictional characters.

22. song says:

What’s so great about DROMP? It wasn’t Lea’s best song imo, while songbird not only was emotional and important for the brittana shippers, it also meant something for the storyline. We all know Lea is very very good, but Naya surprised me and she’s grown so much this season as actress as well. My vote will go to her song ALWAYS.

• L. says:

Out of curiosity, what is Lea’s best song in your opinion?

• Jeff says:

DROMP was great and was a great way to end the first 13 episode.
      NO one is going to get these kids down.

Songbird was nice, I personally don’t think was Naya’s best. I voted Valerie over Fireowrk.

DROMP was a show stopper and deserve it spot as best solo.

23. edwestwicksfuturewife says:

dude songbird was SO bad!!! listen to eva cassidy’s version and you will see just how flawed naya’s version is (as much as i like her) DROMP ftw!!!!

24. Phoebi says:

Songbird had a good run and thankfully it went much further than I thought it would. Top 8 isn’t bad :)

25. Fierce says:

DROMP was what made glee for me, it was the best performance of glee in my opinion, made me believe that new directions could beat any other team in the world.

26. Kris says:

For some reason, this article is not appearing on the home page of tvline. The only reason I knew it was up is that I happened to see it on Ausiello’s twitter. Is something going on with the site? (I also don’t see the White Collar article up there either.) Thanks!

27. S says:

DROMP hands down. Songbird sounds good and Naya did a great job, but DROMP is one of the best Glee covers to date.

28. Aims says:

songbird is important to the story in terms of ships (mainly brittana), but DROMP and the performance of it came to the club as a whole in a time where ND’s back was against the wall during competitions. that song was the shotgun that kicked off ND’s arrival to the glee club competition world. it was an amazing song and the scene was shot beautifully, from rachel’s entrance to the entrance of the whole club.

DROMP was the better overall song, both in terms of story and vocals.

29. sierra trimble says:

Okay, without a doubt, songbird should,& will winn, cuz its simply outstanding!!!(:

30. Gloria says:

DROMP is glee. Hands down. Best song. Best voice. Perfection. Glee is what it is thanx to Lea Michele!! Wasnt hard for me cuz I will vote for DROMP always.

31. Sofia says:

I’m not basing my decision on which people I “ship”.
    I adore both songs, Lea did amazingly and so did Naya. But the Songbird performance changed me, it touched me in so many ways. That’s why I vote for that song.

• Yara says:

This, this, this.

• thevoiceofreason says:

it touched you because you ship brittana…tada!clarified?

• Keith says:

I like Songbird but it didn’t touch me, becasue Santana had already told Birt she loved her. Valerie was a better song for Naya too. She is a bit wobbly at times in Songbird.

DROMP was the end of a story arc for Rachel and the club.

• mayberurvoiceisnthereasonone_pr says:

As if o.O…Are people really arguing the difference between Songibird and DROMP?! And by blaming Shippers preferences?! Hypocrite people are hypocrite. Ok, maybe she’s a hardcore shipper with a optical/earing tunel just for Naya/Brittana-smthrelated Or maybe she has a personal reason (as she hints) and this one of her ways to honour (going to far?! loool) it. So what if she’s a Brittana Fan. She still has the right to vote for whichever she wants. Isn’t this a Free Vote policy?! Everyone has the right to have an opinion, but offend demean, humiliate bla bla wtvah, isn’t the right option go.

All these discussions are pointless.

NGL my vote goes to DROMP and I Ship brittana heartfully. Songbird is brilliant (in so many ways!) but DROMP is just simply outstanding! I can’t even tell why! DROMP awesomeness makes me speechless ;D

• thevoiceofreasoninsomanyways says:

I’m not demeaning or humiliating anyone…maybe being a bit rude. But if the song touched her in so many ways it’s obvious that she relates to the storyline/is Naya’s fan and that’s why she voted for it. There’s no shame in that. But to imply that she’s voting regardless of who she ships or adores (even a tiny bit) is just naive.

And who’s being an hypocrite here? I didn’t even talk about DROMP.

And I’m not stopping her from voting for Songbird. I just find it obnoxious for people to say that -“I’m not a shipper but this song and the moment is so great/fabulous/etc” Vote and say you vote because you like them together. There’s no shame in that.

• i'mdone. says:

Why is it so hard to believe that people can actually like something without being a fan/stan/whoever ?! It could be once in a lifetime – I heard one. I heard the other. I liked one better. I didn’t like the latter thst much. I heard it once. I heard it twice. I could be fond of one and completely oblivious to the other, even if i just heard it like 5 secs ago. It simply didn’t “click”. No connection at all. Finitto. And i’m not even justcomparing songbird/dromp.
            Naivety aside, if i don’t like i don’t like. Being a fan doesnt mean that you have to 100% agree/adore everything you’r idol does. However if you love it, you love it. You’ve gotta shout it out loud. Yes, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. I agree. I’m with you in this point of view. Yey.
            When i said “hypocrite people” i was talking about Shippers in general, those who have the exactly same opinion as you but still does it anyways. Obnoxious to much?! How funny is that?! LOL.

32. Hyde says:

I gotta say… Dont Rain on My Parade has been done. and done. and done. Lea is a great singer but singing loud isn’t always singing better. Songbird is this amazing song full of feeling and Santana (Naya) KILLS it. Nails it.

also, what the eff is a “ship(per)”? (i’m probably aging myself asking that)

33. Renata says:

ugh!!! this is sooo hard! but i had to go with dont rain on my parade it was amazing! and you can feel her emotion

34. Lexi says:

Naya’s performance was perfection. Her voice, her body language, her facial expressions.. I could watch that scene over and over again. Plus Songbird is one of my all time favorite songs.

• Jennifer B. says:

This so much!

• maya says:

Lea was perfection and meant more to the series overall. Great show stopper for the end of the first 13.

Got people wanting more.

When people go talk about glee in a few years DROMP will be brought up in the song conversation. Songbird will not. IMO

• Kate says:

You have seriously never heard the original or Eva Cassidy version on songbird because anyone that has can never say Naya was perfection with this cover, nower near perfection, Eva Cassidy blows them all out of the water, and put a hell lot more emotion into it!
      it was a great moment for shippers but lets not go above that it was a mediocre performance with mediocre vocals!
      DROMP on the other hand completed an amazing 13 episode spam and is one of the mst rewound performances and o every list of critics favorite glee music numbers because of its impact! Now some can argue that she’ll never compare to Babs but she do it proud!

35. Damien says:

“…and I love you. I love you. I love you like never before.”

36. A says:

I really, really loved both songs, and I love both of their voices; but I have to go with Songbird. It touched me emotionally way more than DROMP.

37. Cas says:

DROMP made me get on my feet and cheer it was so good. So it gets my vote.

38. Brittnie says:

Don’t Rain On my Parade!!!

39. Hannah says:

It doesn’t matter which one “meant more” to the characters. DROMP was in a pressure-full time, at sectionals, and Lea/Rachel went out there and NAILED it to a T. That song is a classic, and the way she sung it made me have goosebumps. She is amazing. Not that I didn’t love Songbird. Great song, awesome vocals, deep meaning. But DROMP has always been a personal favorite of mine, and Lea Michele’s vocal technique and sound can’t be rivaled.

For me, DROMP takes the cake.

40. Muireann says:

Love both equally. ‘Don’t Rain On My Parade’ is SUCH a powerhouse performance, and is one of my all time favourite Glee songs. Lea Michele did a phenomenal job with it. But ‘Songbird’ is great on a different level. The emotion Naya Rivera poured into it cemented it’s status as one of the most beautiful songs in Glee history. For me it’s a tie, but as Songbird is currently losing, I’ll have to go with Naya and Santana for this one.

41. Derric says:

I’m not a Britanna shipper or whatever they’re called, but I voted for Songbird just because it was an amazing cover. I love the lyrics and honestly, I prefer it over the original.

42. jess says:

dromp just didn’t hit me like it hit the rest of you. voting songbird on this one. and don’t be all, omg another brittana shipper. stfu. dromp just did nothing for me. although lea is amazing.

43. Desni says:

I think it’s great that these songs are up against each other since both of them are basically each others opposites.

DROMP was a powerful spectacle, a raging river. Songbird was raw emotion. A story told through the smallest but most powerful of details – specific but equally strong.

My vote goes to Songbird. It changed my life.

44. Jos says:

I love Songbird, but Santana’s cover was a big disappointment. I’ll admit I laughed during the scene because it was so overdone. I’m voting for DROMP, that was impressive.

45. LisaJ says:

Santana is my favourite character, but i loved Rachel’s version!

46. Marie says:

I just voted for Songbird and here’s why. While I find that Lea Michele has an incredible voice, Don’t Rain on My Parade wasn’t her best solo. In my humble opinion, What I did for Love or even My Man were better performances overall. Lea didn’t blew Barbra out of the water with her rendition of DROMP. Naya, on the other hand, had a barely noticeable Fleetwood Mac track and tore. it. apart. She took this extremely simple ballad (only voice and piano) and poored emotions and beautiful textures to the melody with only her voice and her acting.

Lea is being Lea during her song. Naya is acting the whole time the camera is on her AND when the track is being recorded. Again, Ms Michele has an AMAZING voice and did Streisand proud, yet I find more enjoyable to watch/listen to Songbird than Don’t Rain on My Parade… Since the category is “Best Musical Number”, I take into consideration all the aspects of the term such as singing performance, stage performance and acting in the context of the scene.

Thank you for reading.

47. Jeanne says:

What happened to “Get It Right”? I liked that better than a carbon copy of a Streisand song with barely a note changed from the original. And sadly I don’t remember Santana’s “Songbird.” [It would be nice if video clips could appear here on the page where voting is happening.]

48. Kris says:

I adore Santana and I still think it was ridiculous she beat Firework just because she sang it to Brittany. If she had sung that to Sam, she wouldn’t have won.

49. CJH says:

Am I the only one who is very confused as to what we are actually voting for? I was under the impression that this was a poll about which song we thought was performed better, unless I am completely off base in which case I apologise profusely.

If we look at these two songs at face value, not focusing on how it impacted story lines or on whether the actors were in character or not, but rather on how each song was performed than DROMP is overall a better song.

I really love Songbird, it is a song I listen to constantly and I felt Naya Rivera did a wonderful job on it, however it cant now nor will it ever be as technically perfect as DROMP.

If this was truly a fair vote and we were all voting just once, based on song performance alone and not on whether we thought it was the best song performed by a certain character or because it was important to our ship…then DROMP would win this hands down.

50. Lucy Quinn says: