Comic-Con

Exclusive: Bones' Comic-Con Panel Canceled — Find Out Why

This is going to hurt me more than it will you: Bones‘ Comic-Con panel — which I was supposed to be moderating — has been canceled.

According to a show rep, both Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz are unable to make the trek to San Diego for personal reasons. As a result, the session has been scrapped.

Bummer, I know.

Anyway, there’s some good news: The other panel I’m moderating — the Glee session on Sunday — is still very much a go. (Check out this week’s Ask Ausiello for a taste of what’s in store). And, while we’re on the subject of Con, I strong urge you to make TVLine.com your default homepage Thursday through Sunday, as the site will be a veritable Con-apalooza.

“How so?” you ask.

Here’s how, I answer: Team TVLine will be bringing you scoop and spoilers on your favorite shows via exclusive video, panel recaps, party highlights and more. Also, if you follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello, you’ll get exclusive behind-the-scenes pics, video and scoop from TVLine’s swanky interview lounge.

Bottom line: Let’s focus on the positive, people!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Ausiello Being Shameless, Comic-Con, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. lysa says:

OH…. S***********

2. KG says:

So we “found out why”…how?

• READ THE ARTICLE says:

By READING.

“both Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz are unable to make the trek to San Diego for personal reasons. As a result, the session has been scrapped.”

• jenisedai says:

DB was talking about having to get a crown on Twitter- maybe something went wrong with it.

• Eurydice says:

Oh, please. The whole point of reading Ausiello is to get inside scoop, and “Find out why” implies he knows something more than what everybody else is reporting.

• Jon88 says:

Meanwhile, over at tvg, one of their “reporters” announced that he’s not going to look into the story behind the PR spin of why Robert Wagner is out at “Charlie’s Angels.” Whatever happened to journalism?

• Amanda says:

So does this mean the show is canceled?

• angela says:

I love bones and not to beable to watch it , hurts me to hear…

3. Wendy says:

Too bad about the Bones panel, but with ED’s pregnancy as far along as it is, I had a feeling this was a possibility.

4. Hillary says:

I really thought your disappointing news would be no AA this week. This is the one thing that’s worse than that…

5. Piper says:

Major bummer! That’s the only panel I was interested in. Booo!

6. Danielle H. says:

Aww, sorry, A! Just make sure you don’t update too fast guys, I already have to take an hour at the end of the day to catch up on all the scoop! lol

7. lysa says:

well HH and SN could still come….

• Wendy says:

@lysa But I doubt half as many would show for just them, right or wrong.

It says a show rep gave the announcement. Maybe work related? No idea, just a guess on my part.

• lysa says:

well, Wendy… between professional and personal reasons, there is a lot of possibilities… I’m waiting the HH or SN’s announcement too.

• Kik says:

Well, I am not sure about that, since HH can not control his temper lately, maybe is better if he don’t go to this kind of panels. I saw his reaction to a valid question a few weeks ago on the Paley center event and it was disrespectful and totally over the top.
      That day he lost my respect…totally.

• sorry sack says:

Even assuming that you’re not a delusion fan nut who thinks producers owe them something – HH not answering a question the right way makes you lose respect for him totally. The understanding and forgiveness in your heart is truly admirable. I’m sure HH is losing sleep over losing YOUR respect. Bug off.

• Kik says:

I am not delusional, but his attitude that day was very bad, he disrespected a lady for a simple question…that and some other things he said this year made me feel dissapointed. I never disrespect him on twitter and I even got some messages from him. If he is in the public eye he must know that some people can think different about an storyline, and of course he can be mad, but being rude and harsh with someone who just had a question was too much. And even Michaela and Emily were surprised, it was over the top. Maybe it is just me, I am not american, maybe I can’t understand your humor, but what he said to this Andrea girl in my country is very vulgar and rude. You don’t said that to a lady. Just that.

• Amber says:

Yeah, I am thinking HH is just sick and tired of whiny/complaining, and the fans who give him and SN crap. Maybe he should be better about what he says but some fans need to just…I don’t know. I think I have an idea of what moment you are talking about from the Paley event. I think it’s the one where David took over after HH was like “…get a life, stop watching the show”. Something along those lines. He’s frustrated with fandom. He gets most of the um, I suppose I’ll use unhappy fans throwing crap at him. I personally went through a time where I just wanted to give a portion of fandom happy drugs so they would shut up. Sorry, my frustration is coming through.

• Amanda says:

lmao Hart Hanson isn’t from the USA, so I don’t think it was “American humor”. Unless you mean ~North American humor~

• sorry sack says:

Thanks for trying to be specific Amber. If that’s the incident Kik is referring to that clearly just sounds like someone who’s frustrated and cracks. Obviously not the kind of thing you want to do but it happens.

Since it didn’t involve a pointless blonde girl named Hannah, it’s not the worst thing he’s ever done. :-)

8. Michael Sacal says:

BRAVO!!

It’s COMIC-Con, not TV-Con.

9. Ann S says:

OK, not to be picky but I’m going to be:

“unspecified personal reasons”, although a very good reason, does not tell us WHY it was cancelled. Granted, however, they are personal reasons and therefore none of our business, but still. That’s a leading headline and I should know better by now reading Ausiello that he will be an… ‘Aushole’ and pull something like this.

• Jo says:

Actually unspecified personal reason is the why. You just aren’t happy because you weren’t told what the personal reason was. At least be honest it as opposed to attacking Ausillo because you didn’t get your dose of hollywood gossip about a show.

10. Bones Fangirl says:

I’m really upset about this. I understand that Emily and David couldn’t make it, but what about the four other REGULAR cast members and creators? I would have loved to see them come out. Some fans came from other countries to see the panel. All of us fans now have to wait so much longer to get information about this next season which is already starting two months late. It feels like we just keep getting the short end of the stick this year…

• Wendy says:

I don’t think any of the rest of the cast was invited to begin with.

• TV Gord says:

I understand what you’re saying, BFg. If David and Emily can’t make it, why not get the rest of the cast in. They are all equally as beloved by fans and that would probably be a hoot and a half!

11. ColleenC says:

that was the one part of ComiCon that sounded interesting, which just goes to show how far the event has come from its roots. Oh well. We’ll just have to wait for the November season premiere and be glad we’ve got the show at all.

12. CM says:

Ump for all you people who say this doesn’t explain why… Ummm read it. DB & ED can’t make it. Whatever their personal reasons are, are none of our business.

13. Jennifer says:

Wait– there is a Glee panel at Comicon? Why? How? Why?

• Michael Sacal says:

A Glee panel will attract an audience. A panel about Squirrel Girl or about Superboy will not.

• tripoli says:

Actually it will. It’s nerd heaven, full of people who like “Squirrel Girl” and “Super Bo”. Glee is completely out of place.

• infinite power says:

I think Squirrel Girl could sell a lot of hats or t-shirts at CC but yeah, a panel might be stretching the depth of that character.

14. Chris says:

Well, I was really upset that I wasn’t able to make it this year, but the main shows I wanted to see were Bones and Dexter. Now, I’m not as bummed that I can’t go. Still stinks that they wont be there though.

15. Blair says:

I’m not really that upset about the fact that the panel was cancelled so much as I am the fact that he misspelled cancelled. Doesn’t anyone proofread anymore? Come on.

16. raelee514 says:

Is David experiencing empathy pregnancy symptoms and that is why he can’t make it too?

17. Loving It!! says:

I’m laughing SO hard right now!! What are all of those crazy Bones fans who are travelling from various countries going to do now?? Seriously, THIS is why you don’t become as obsessed with a show as many of those BONEheadS do. Love it!!

• Wendy says:

You *are* aware that *every show* has “crazy” fans, right? Nice generalization there.

• Erin says:

Ummm, correct me if I’m wrong (and I’m sure someone will), but without those “crazy fans” of TV shows, movies, and comics…there would be no Comic-Con! So, I can empathize with all the people who had plans to see ED and DB there.

I had no plans to attend, but still am a bit disappointed. I agree with the others who’ve mentioned it would’ve been great if the creators and other cast members could’ve done the panel instead.

Oh well, good things come to those who wait…all the way until November… Sigh.

• mikes_at_home says:

Well, I’m one of those BONEheadS … just so ya know … and considering that the new Season has starting shooting this week, it comes as no surprise that the two leads in the show will be busy working.

• BonesCrazyFan says:

Lol being obsessed with Bones is not that bad of a thing. I am a major Bones fan and i am disappointed, but its not the end of the world. Good things come to those who wait :)

18. Robin says:

:( clearly this was the ‘bad news’ you must have been referring to earlier… ah well life will go on. :)

19. Rob J. says:

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, I’m bummed that they aren’t going to be there — they’re hysterical, especially given that Boreanaz is the poster child for ADD. On the other hand — now I can fit in a pee break on Friday!

20. Adrian says:

Yeah, Emily’s far along in her pregnancy but that’s not the only “personal reason” she could have had. I mean, definitely, if there is something wrong or she’s really just not up to it or whatever we want her to stay home and get better and have a healthy pregnancy even if it means we don’t get a panel, but it’s not as though she completely incapacitated by her pregnancy, she will basically be working through it until the pretty much the very end so…

21. Fan From Day 1 says:

Well, get used to the disappointments. Bones is canceled yet Finder is not at Comic-Con????? I just can’t sit and not comment about the dark clouds on the horizon for Bones. I am going to guess that holding that panel and facing a fanbase that really isn’t very happy with the latest season and how it was rushed to the pregnancy/hook up result, wasn’t something any of the actors or HH or SN was prepared for. The November start date and jumping the Bones and Booth relationship to six months into the pregnancy leaves me disappointed beyond words. The last two seasons were weakly written and the writers seemed to just throw stories out as a try out for the fans. Now, HH is saying that the season is maybe goo for 16 episodes and there will be a break from December to March?????

I have been a fan since day one with this series and lived through the fan complaint stages with this show, but have never seen so many fans post that after the six year wait, they feel cheated. I have to admit, it was a very, very lazy way out of the will they won’t they light that kept the series interesting. We all new it would happen, but not off screen in some producers head. Bones will stay on my DVR record list, but will be watched when I have time, this fan understands the writing on the wall for this show.

• tripoli says:

Get over it or move the eff on.

• Alittlerespect says:

This is SO rude Tripoli. Just because someone doesn’t agree with you, doesn’t mean they’re wrong or ridiculous. FWIW, I pretty much feel the same way as Fan From Day 1. And guess what, if we all take your advice and ‘move the eff on’, as you so delightfully put it, there won’t be any Bones for anyone to comment on anymore.

• alolololol says:

Well, I agree with you Alittlerespect about the “move the eff on” in that FFD1 didn’t come across like a whiney entitled fan, just one who thinks the show is on a downturn and is adjusting their watching accordingly.
          But tripoli wasn’t that bad. People get tired of hearing ANY fans say they don’t like where a show is going and sometimes forget to distinguish.

I DO think the show can pull itself together, stay focused on the gross-out murder cases, satisfy fans with the B&B relationship and throw in some baby complications that are fun, not dangerous to keep things fresh.

• Amber says:

I am sorry you are disappointed but I doubt the reason you gave is why the Bones panel is really cancelled. You know given the fact that Emily Deschanel is in fact pregnant and all that. This is also the reason that there is only 16 episodes. Emily Deschanel will be taking maternity leave and instead of doing a number of episodes without her they are taking a break then. She is after all one of the main leads. I understand you have a problem with the writing the last two seasons and like I said I am sorry. But do remember to take into consideration that life happens and just because they haven’t given us a very specific reason doesn’t mean doom ahead.

Now, I am going back to my happy land because the fact of the matter is I can’t wait for season 7 and I know there are a lot of fans who are excited. I know others that are not as much but are awaiting to see how they handle the pregnancy story line. I am excited to see what HH and company are going to do with the pregnancy and for when the baby actually comes. *skips off* :D

22. Jillian says:

I am very worried about this. What if she’s having complications? What if she can’t even film the six episodes…and we never get to see Brennan pregnant. They just come back in March with a 3 month old baby. I hope everything is ok.

I don’t know why HH and SN can’t go. I don’t know why David can’t go. David only wouldn’t go if something really bad is happening…because if Emily can’t go, I would think that they wold try to get David to go as much as possible. His wife tweeted that she was taking Jaden to a movie today…and DB tweeted a pic of Bozo the punching bag and how Booth has his game face on and season 7 is a go…so everything seems okay on his end. And possibly for Emily too. I don’t think they would all be tweeting if something really serious happened.

23. annie says:

OK! i know it is a stupid question to ask but…what is a comic con panel? secondly, guys, look on the bright side, at least season 7 is not cancelled.

• XK says:

Assuming you were serious, it’s a presentation / fan Q&A conducted in one of the many rooms of the San Diego convention center, during the San Diego International Comic Convention.

Because it’s close to L.A., and 40,000+ go every year, it’s also become as much about tv and film as comics.

24. Amanda says:

Awe tooo bad I guess emilys pregnancy got in the way I bet we will still. Get info as time progresses

25. Cori says:

I feel so awful for my coworker who’s a HUGE Bones fan. She saved up to fly to this and has been looking forward to it for months. How horrible! :(

26. stan says:

THe Bones show is on its way out. I agree with those who said David B. was on twitter. He does not seem to have any emergency going on that would prohibit him from the business obligation. Perphas his wife could not attend and she told him he couldn’t go. For those that need reminding ever since he announced he cheated and lied he’s not really seen to far out of her sight. She goes with him everywhere. Must be tiring follwoing him around to make sure he acts like a good boy. Anyway the other stars of the show could have filled in. Its very disappointing to the loyal fans that no one shows up.

• Wendy says:

He mentioned the show getting underway in a recent tweet. My guess is it has nada to do with DB’s wife and that perhaps the cast is filming and needs as much time as they can get before ED is due, so no time to hang out at SDCC and they use the time to tape.

IF that is the case, I cannot fault anyone due to the scheduling that is in place to account for ED’s pregnancy and getting episodes into the can.

• Jillian says:

I don’t think is anything to do with DB’s wife…but with filming. They only have a limited amount of time before Emily goes on maternity leave and get as much done before she’s due. I don’t really care…just as long as we continue to get spoilers as they film.

• Jillian says:

…also his wife only goes with him to red carpet events…which they should do together. She tweeted that she went to take their son to a move yesterday…and DB tweeted a pic of Bonzo the punching bag, so he must have been on-set preparing to shoot.

27. Edith says:

I’m angry :p

28. Bronzia says:

Can you please make the videos available for the rest of the world. Cause It will suck for us without videos.

29. Ellie says:

I do not bleieve the Bones cast cancelled because of
    Emily’s pregnancy.
    She attended some affair for her movie (The Pervect Family)
    recently.
    The cast returned to work on Bones episodes.

My guess… they did not want to appear with the cast
    of The FInder…. I won’t want to!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Wendy says:

I’m now almost certain it is simply due to filming S7. That starts today. HH said on Twitter yesterday was the last pre-production day w/filming to begin today. So the cast is likely busy now starting later. Which is supported by DB’s last tweets. And this is fine with me.

31. Laura says:

I agree with Ellie. HH has been pushing Bones aside for his
    new creation The Finder.
    Now they are expected to share a stage with this loser of
    a show (The Finder)

Also, I read that Emily attended some movie premier of a movie
    she was in …. so her pulling out of this event has nothing
    to do being pregnant.

• Bouncy Castle, London, UK says:

It may have something to do with the fact that she’s far along in her pregnancy, and she shouldn’t fly at this late stage.

32. Sarah says:

This I beleive has nothing to do with Emily being
    pregnant and unable to attend/travel.
    She could have attended via a Skype style setup…
    But like most things in Hoolywood….. stars do not
    really care about fans.
    It is the all about money…. the fans be dammed.

33. rehabber says:

The last ep was such a disappointment to me and a lot of fans that have been watching this show, waiting for the BIG HOOK UP and what do we get..nada, zip, just oh BTW I’m having your baby. This was a huge let down.

• Bonedigger says:

I loved the last episode. :/ I didn’t need to see them ‘hook-up’ to know they love each other.

• It'slikeyouwatchPBSonpurpose says:

I didn’t need to see a sex scene, but after the majority of season 6, I would have at least liked to have known that Booth *liked* Brennan again after falling madly in love with Hannah and showing mostly contempt for her during s6. It was a cheap ploy to end a season like that. And there’s no way that it would have ended with a pregnancy if ED herself hadn’t been pregnant.

34. Ellie says:

This is going to be the last season….. now even the stars of the
    show are disrespecting the fans who made them stars.

Sarah is correct…. if the issue was Deschanel being pregnant….
    She could have participated by video…
    Also, filming is starting…. so if she is able to film an
    episode. She could have attended in person or by video.

The issue of having The Finder actors in attendance at this
    event may have had something to do with Bones stars cancelling.

35. Bob says:

Personal reasons? Like, “I don’t feel like going to San Diego”? I can understand E.D., being with child, having some sort of reasonable excuse. But, D.B.?

• sorel says:

One would have to be mentally challenged or plain hateful to believe or imply that ANY ACTOR, not just DB, wouldn’t want to go to Comic Con to promote his show and himself. Comic Con is an indulgence of fan adoration for every popular actor. And DB IS very popular there, due to Buffy and Angel mostly. He’s been a regular at CC from 1999! If he’s not going this year it’s BECAUSE FOX DECIDED SO. Fox issued the quizzical “personal issues” public statement. And nobody’s going. Not Emily, not David, not Hart, not Stephen. FOX PULLED THE PLUG ON THE PANEL. Why? Take your pick: from “no ED=nobody else”, to weird shooting schedule, to Fox not caring about Bones promotion anymore. Like all popular actors with big genre following, DB loves to make people laugh and be adored by a room full of thousands of fans.
      But the blaming game is more convenient, so lets blame DB as a precaution. You know, just in case……..

36. Mike says:

For me, it’s just a great show, and I won’t let a Comic-Con appearance impact whether or not I watch the upcoming season. But regardless of the reasons behind the stars’ absence, I’m just as much of a fan — if not more — of the supporting cast!

Therefore, besides the 16 scheduled episodes, why couldn’t there be a few shows focusing on Cam and her team, along with Sweets, Caroline, and fan favorites from the past? Maybe DB could put in a cameo or two.

37. Alex says:

Two things:
    1. Its a shame the Bones panel had to be cancelled, but hey, at least the show’s not cancelled! hahaha, that would be the great tragedy here :)
    2. I find it amusing how some people are already stigmatizing this upcoming season as being a train wreck waiting to happen because of the season 6 finale. Well, it season 7 hasn’t started yet, so passing judgement would be naive and grossly premature. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t like the “rush” ending last season, if your a true fan, you will at least give the show a fighting chance. (IMO, I can’t wait to see what they will do in season 7!!)

38. Carol C says:

Emily could have remained home and used a video
    conference if she wanted.
    No idea why both leads pulled out. After 7 seasons
    I would not have a problem if Bones was cancelled.

It seems that The Finder if it lasts has been
    primed as a replacment already.

39. Karolina gil says:

Esta serie es estupenda kisiera k la pasaran d nuevo!!!!**
    Aaa y bud esta bien guapo

40. ana muller says:

After that finale this was the most necessary panel of all seasons! We need some bones scoop, why must they do that to us?