New Charlie Sheen Sitcom Is Officially Announced; Still Seeks Show Runner, Network

Get More: Casting News, News

Charlie Sheen is a teeny-tiny step closer to some form of winning, having booked a new gig that had been rumored in recent weeks, and on Monday was announced as a done deal by Mad Men producer Lionsgate and distributor Debmar-Mercury.

The project — which has yet to find a host network or a show runner — is based on the 2003 feature comedy Anger Management, with Sheen filling the Jack Nicholson role of a self-help instructor who is, ironically, volatile.

“We have been fielding numerous offers for Charlie since his departure from Two and a Half Men, but none were as creatively and financially compelling as [this],” Sheen’s manager, Mark Burg, is quoted as saying.

An excerpt from the press release follows:

Former Two and a Half Men star Charlie Sheen is planning his return to series television in Anger Management, a new sitcom loosely based on Revolution Studios’ 2003 hit comedy feature of the same name. Lionsgate-owned Debmar-Mercury, headed by Co-Presidents Mort Marcus and Ira Bernstein, will distribute the series that will be produced by Lionsgate Television, led by Television Group President Kevin Beggs and COO Sandra Stern; Joe Roth and Revolution Studios’ Vince Totino; Sheen manager Mark Burg’s production company, Evolution Management; and Robert Maron.

Sheen will retain a significant ownership stake in the series inspired by the film, in which a mild-mannered, non-confrontational man is ordered to attend group anger management sessions led by a therapist who could probably use some anger management himself.

“I chose Anger Management because, while it might be a big stretch for me to play a guy with serious anger management issues, I think it is a great concept,” Sheen said. “It also provides me with real ownership in the series, a certain amount of creative control and the chance to be back in business with one of my favorite movie producers of all time, Joe Roth.” Roth and Sheen have worked together on five features, including Major LeagueYoung Guns and Three Musketeers.

“Who better than Charlie Sheen to tackle Anger Management,” Roth said. “With Charlie’s incredible talent and comedic gifts, he remains the leading man of TV sitcoms. I’m excited to collaborate with him once again.”

“We always look for series ideas that are noisy, accessible and relevant,” said Lionsgate’s Kevin Beggs. “Charlie Sheen in Anger Management takes those criteria to a whole new level and we are thrilled to be in business with him, Evolution, Debmar-Mercury and Revolution Studios on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. With a star of Charlie’s magnitude, a producer as venerable as Joe Roth and a branded property as compelling as Anger Management, this show has unique upside while still adhering to our disciplined business model.”

Comments (55)

• Oh dear God. Save us.

Comment by xav – July 18, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully no well known show-runners or major networks will agree to work with this guy. Hopefully they have better class and taste.

Comment by Layne – July 18, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll make a prediction here.

Fall 2012 on NBC against 2.5 men or BBT.

Comment by Polly – July 18, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like a Charlie Sheen show would be network poison right now. Honestly how many fans does he still have…

Comment by J – July 18, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show sounds like possibly the worst thing to be on TV in a while – which means that obviously, it’s going to be a hit. Gross. Can’t Charlie Sheen just leave us all alone and disappear into oblivion?

Comment by S – July 18, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, S, we have the same opinions about television and television viewing audiences.

Comment by Amber – July 18, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC and NBC should be jumping to pick this up!

Comment by rob60990 – July 18, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I refuse to enable this troubled, self-destructive man by watching anything with him in it until he completes counseling for his problems and acknowledges his responsibility in the upheaval of so many lives. I would also seriously consider not watching any programs on any network that would choose to try to cash in on his recent notoriety.

Comment by Ashley – July 18, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • good for you. there are many of us who will (watch).

Comment by degamieste – July 18, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not that many, honey, and nobody who will put it on.

Comment by Amy – July 18, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We’ll see about that. Charlie Sheen is a good comedian and much funnier than A.Kutcher (I have nothing against the guy), which is the only thing that matters when you want to watch something. People’s work has nothing to do with their personal lives. So yes, I believe a great lot of people will watch Charlie’s project.

Comment by degamieste – July 18, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed.

I think Kutcher will be horrible on 2-1/2. And doesn’t Kutcher have his own bizarro end-of-the-world views that drive him? I don’t see how Kutcher is more mentally stable than Sheen at all. In fact, I’d say he’s less so.

Comment by Gretchen – July 18, 2011 01:50 PM PDT
          • I Love Two and a Half Men, always will, and am watching the re-runs as we speak. I have seen them all multiple times and still continue to view as they are humorous. I anxiously await his new sitcom and personally don’t feel like Aston can ever fill Charlie’s shoes. The reason for the success of Two and a Half Men was because of Charlie’s lifestyle etc. Guess what? It was his REAL lifestyle. So what???? That’s what made it a success. People who live in glass houses, shouldn’t throw stones. Congrats and Good Luck Charlie.

Comment by Lorna – September 4, 2011 07:09 PM PDT
  • Who in their right mind would employ this man??

Comment by Mikaylah – July 18, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, the haters are out early today. I hope it gets picked up and does well. It was clear that Charlie’s problems got worse when he was not working so this can only help. Besides having a financial interest in the show beyond a paycheck might motivate him. I think that many networks would be interested once the show runner and cast are more finalized.

Comment by billk – July 18, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think an ownership interest will motivate Charlie. I think it will make him feel like he can do whatever he wants with no repercussions. Charlie is still too toxic for any network (and advertisers) to get on board.

Comment by Steve T – July 18, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big stretch for him to play a character with anger management issues??? Come on..who is he really trying to kid???

Comment by Linda – July 18, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe that was sarcastic ;>

Comment by Rhonda – July 18, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I couldn’t decide if he was being sarcastic or not. The guy is a narcissistic megalomaniac, it’s entirely possible he was being sincere with that statement and believes he’s not the one with the anger problems, it’s everyone else who has them. But maybe he’s matured enough in the last few months to accept responsibility for his behavior, who really knows.

Comment by Amber – July 18, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about art imitating life! All Sheen has to do is show up.

Not sure what network in their right mind would risk another multi-million dollar project with Sheen. Now there’s one contract that will look more like a prenuptial!

Also wonder what advertisers would want to link their products to Sheen… maybe Zoloft, Grey Goose, the Betty Ford Clinic?

Comment by Suncatcher – July 18, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suppose it’s too much to wish for that his show lands on a cable network not on my service.

Comment by Jack – July 18, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh. A bit stretch to play a guy with serious anger management issues. Really.

Comment by Allie – July 18, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, maybe he found a new show, but which network is crazy enough to hire this man? They know what they are getting themselves into… guess company lawyers are already lining up to make sure that the networks are not getting involved in this mess…

Comment by J – July 18, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should be his OWN show-runner; that way he’ll have only himself to blame when the whole thing fails…

Comment by skyfan – July 18, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope ABC or NBS will pick this up! “Anger Management” is a great concept and would be a terrific vehicle for Sheen! I don’t care about Charlie’s personal life. I think is an incredibly talented actor and I want to be entertained – what he does offscreen is his own business. Congrats Charlie! Can’t wait to see you back on TV!

Comment by Donna – July 18, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When he beats up on women (he’s done it several times,) it’s not his own business, it’s law enforcement’s business. And no one should support someone like that. Doesn’t matter is you think he’s funny or talented, you should not support abusers.

Comment by Beth – July 18, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Donna’s an idiot. Don’t bother replying to idiots like her.

Comment by Bradley Johnson – July 19, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t normally do this , but REALLY! What are you 5? So what that Charlie Sheen will come back into comedy sitcoms, I ‘m actually looking forward to it, beats watching kutcher!

Comment by karma101 – September 28, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! We need funnier sitcoms and Charlie always delivers! C’mon networks! Give this show a home!

Comment by Kat – July 18, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am with Ashley……This is a man with some SERIOUS mental health concerns & we’d be enabling him…..I lost all respect for him after the Two & 1/2 Men debacle…Its not an issue of being a ‘hater’, its a choice to not encourage his childish, and dangerous behaviors….

Comment by Melissa – July 18, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t imagine what network (or showrunner) would take this on. Charlie has proved he likes to bite the hand that feeds him, and that he can at any time be too drugged up to work and/or in legal difficulty that makes show production difficult or impossible. The publicity is huge, of course, and were Sheen to actually get himself in a position to be a reliable, insurable lead again, somebody could potentially do well with this. (Potentially — this is an idea for a show, not a show, and without actual good scripts and story development, it is less of a series than it is a stunt.) But Sheen is not that guy and has no intention of being that guy.

Comment by Amy – July 18, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget trying to find a decent showrunner to work with Sheen (who has lots of creative control – i.e., who would really be running the show). But they’ll anoint someone. They probably won’t have any problems finding a cable network desperate for ratings (TBS?). Maybe even Starz or Showtime. Heck, even NBC might give it a go, they’re so desperate. They’d drop The Office in a heartbeat to get the Sheen draw (and he still has a draw) on Thursday nights.

Comment by Bob – July 18, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Sheen needs to get clean and sober first. He is still on the island of denial. Any showrunner or network stupid enough to pick up this show deserves all the real drama associated with this man. It is truly a shame to see people in the industry still enabling him so they can line their pockets with cash.

Comment by TVDIVA – July 18, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coming soon to C-Span. It will premeier right after a guy reads the paper to viewers and right before a repeat of a guy reading the paper to viewers.

Comment by Matt – July 18, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What do you think he will call his NEW bosses? The drug “Charlie Sheen” needs to be taken off the market!

Comment by Sherri – July 18, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d watch the first episode with unbias. I think he’s funny and he personally hasn’t done anything to me

Comment by Maria cornwell – July 18, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eeeeeewwwww! No, thanks. He’s frankly repulsive.

Comment by lori – July 18, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This may be the only time in history Mad Men and Charlie Sheen are mentioned in the same sentence. Who could afford to insure Charlie Sheen is what I wonder. That is a huge, huge financial risk for any company to take, they would have to be aware of that going in, you would think.

Comment by Amber – July 18, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no interest in watching anything Charlie Sheen is in, let alone something he’s in charge of (doesn’t anybody remember his Detroit show?) I think there IS someone willing to be a show runner, however, he/she is going to be someone new who’s trying to break into the business and who can be manipulated or FIRED if Charlie doesn’t get his way. Sounds like a no-win situation for everyone. Advertisers will be hard to find. I’m interested to see how far past the “talking” stages this show gets.

Comment by Melly – July 18, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do not like all his antics (except on the show), but love his hat!!

Comment by Mike – July 18, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice Hat. Roll Tide.
    Charlie Sheen somewhat redeemed himself when he came to Tuscaloosa after the tornadoes and donated money.

Comment by Tyler – July 18, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch any show with him in it.

Comment by Jamey – July 18, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have never found Charlie or Ashton to be funny, the penis jocks on 21/2 Men got old fast and I didn’t watch That 70′s Show because of Ashton. I always thought they should get rid of Charlie on 21/2 Men and keep Alan, Berta, Judith, Herb, Rose, Evelyn & the drug store guy and send Jake off to boarding school, he really never brought that much to the show and neither did Charlie! Just my opinion!

Comment by Lori – August 24, 2011 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes more sense than what was posted on EW, that Sheen would be playing the meek, mild-mannered guy. In any case, it still sounds to me like Frasier, only with Charlie Sheen. Or maybe, 2 1/2 Men, only Charlie’s got a different job and different issues. I imagine there’ll be the usual wacky family members, patients, office workers, best friends, blah, blah. Good luck to him on that creative control thing – he had creative control over his Volcano of Vomit tour and that went so very well.

Comment by Eurydice – July 19, 2011 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? Charlie Sheen, how many chances will he get before they realize it takes time for someone with his problems to rehabilitate. Unless its a reality how, I dont see it go beyond 2 episodes.

Comment by tahina – July 19, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can

Comment by Brayan – August 30, 2011 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can`t wait till it starts. Love this guy in everything he has done. Come on he is the reason 2 1/2 men was such a big success anyone denying it must be seriously brain dead. Say what you want about the man but he makes things happen.

Comment by Brayan – August 30, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “After reading the posts on this blog, I feel like I know a lot more about anger management. And based on the number of posts, I see I am not alone. My website, http://www.anger-management.txrus.com has not been up long, but I would like to refer people back to your website to read the info. Thanks again, Lisa Monroe.”

Comment by Lisa Monroe – September 1, 2011 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great prediction ! And now that Charlie is back in work-mode, there is no better way than this to get back at Mr Suck Lorre. Plus a Sheen-sitcom could really bring NBC back at top in sit-coms.
    I really hope there will be a time in near future when Charlie’s new sitcom runs opposite two and half men !

Comment by Harris – September 22, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Charlie Sheen is an outstanding actor and any new sitcom with him would do exceptionally well. The guy has a lot of magnetism and can still draw a large audience.I would definitely watch any new show that he stars in.

Comment by Alice Reid – October 12, 2011 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Alice. CS does make ppl laugh and 2.5 was an example!!

Comment by Sammie Jacob – October 24, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still need a time and what station Anger Management will be on thank you

Comment by Gail Middleton – September 13, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post