House Crisis, HIMYM Funeral, Friday Night Lights Finale and Others Eye Humanitas Prize

Get More: Awards, News

The finalists for the 37th annual Humanitas Prize — which honors writers from both television and film whose work “explores the human condition in a nuanced, meaningful way” — have been revealed, and several fan fave TV shows, buoyed by standout episodes, are vying for recognition.

In the 30-Minute category, How I Met Your Mother‘s Season 6 examination of death and grief will compete with Mitchell and Cameron’s first Modern Family kiss plus two Showtime standouts, while the 60-Minute category includes House’s Season 6 finale — the one from May of last year — and the Friday Night Lights series-ender (which aired on DirecTV last winter).

The eligibility period runs April to April. The 2010 winners on the TV front were The Good Wife and Glee (in a tie),  Modern Family and Nurse Jackie (tie), and Temple Grandin.

Below is a complete list of the 2011 Humanitas TV nominees:

Friday Night Lights — “Always,” written by Jason Katims
House — “Help Me,” written by Russel Friend, Garrett Lerner and Peter Blake
The Pacific — “Part 10,” written by Bruce McKenna and Robert Schenkkan

90-MINUTE CATEGORY:
Lifetime’s Reviving Ophelia, written by Teena Booth
Lifetime’s Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story , written by Michael Bortman
HBO’s Thurgood, written by George Stevens, Jr.

Winners of this year’s Humanitas Prize will be announced Friday, Sept. 16 at the annual ceremony in Beverly Hills.

Comments (20)

• Himym :) I loved the countdown during the episode

Comment by :) – July 18, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is actually for the episode following that one.

Comment by Steven – July 18, 2011 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that was an incredible episode

Comment by J – July 18, 2011 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was the “pocket dial” episode, when Marshall was back home for the funeral.

Comment by Rock Golf – July 19, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Да, эпизод заебца!

Comment by wtopar – July 20, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Humanitas award! ALWAYS watch something that wins a Humanitas!

Comment by TV Gord – July 18, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping for The Big C and Drop Dead Diva. The Emmys should split the categories 60 and 30 minutes.

Comment by Steven – July 18, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All worthy nominees, but I don’t think there’s a show out there that explores the human condition in a nuanced, meaningful way more than Friday Night Lights did. That show was such a great character study.

Comment by Amber – July 18, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. FNL was incredible, and deserves every accolade available.

Comment by Matt – July 19, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see HIMYM win this. For a show that’s supposed to make me laugh, it really made me cry and think deeply about when I lost my parents. I love that one show can make me laugh and cry and feel such emotions in only thirty minutes.

Comment by MollyS – July 18, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so Robert Schenkkan is Ben McKenzie’s uncle (his real last name is Schenkkan)…that’s right Ryan from the O.C.

Comment by quinn – July 18, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is completely relevant information! I was wondering who the nominees might be related to and if any of them were in any way famous and also having different last names. Thank you!

Comment by sadtroll – July 19, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope FNL and HIMYM get it!!

Comment by Rachel – July 20, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rooting for House. “Help Me” is one of my favorite episodes. Beautifully written directed, filmed, and acted.

Comment by Tiffany – July 20, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tiffany, I agree. At first I thought they meant the season finale of LAST season and thought, you’ve GOT to be kidding me. But Help Me, Season 6′s finale definitely was a stand out episode for every reason you mention.

Comment by Debbie – July 20, 2011 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Por favor, no pueden cortar la serie, me encanta y he seguido todos los capítulos no me he perdido ninguna temporada…..

Comment by Carolina Cantillana López – July 26, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Hugh Laurie wins. He deserves it. He works so hard on the show. He might play a cranky doctor, but he gets the job done. and some of the episodes do hit home. Sometimes I laugh, and cry, its called feelings, esspecially when House told Cuddy “You want to know how I feel” > > HURT ! ! I can connect on Hugh’s character he plays. Hugh is a great actor. TV should reconize people like Hugh for what he does. I love Hugh for what he does in life and who he is. He has come a long way in what he has done.

Comment by Linda K (HAPPY) – July 26, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House FTW!!!

Comment by John – July 26, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO HOUSE WRITER’S!!!

Comment by Amanda – August 4, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad that there are shows that can make us think and feel deeply and not just amuse us for a bit…House is one of those shows. Although I would never tolerate a doctor telling me not to pray (I have been spoiled by kind doctors!); I admire the character’s compassion for his patients, regardless of their income, race or whether they have health insurance…I would nominate ‘Broken” for that award just because it portrays House at his most vulnerable and unable to manipulate the system beyond the four walls of the Hospital. Also, the show portrayed the mentally ill in a positive instead of a stereotypical light;and one could not help but feel sad for Gregory House as he had to face his demons…the episode was beautifully filmed as well. Kudos to the actors, the extras and the writers for the episodes that make me cry. And it’s hard for me to get into a show…House is the only drama that I’ve actually managed to get into and even care about the characters…even the obnoxious ones ;) !

Comment by Kimberley – August 5, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post