House Crisis, HIMYM Funeral, Friday Night Lights Finale and Others Eye Humanitas Prize

The finalists for the 37th annual Humanitas Prize — which honors writers from both television and film whose work “explores the human condition in a nuanced, meaningful way” — have been revealed, and several fan fave TV shows, buoyed by standout episodes, are vying for recognition.

In the 30-Minute category, How I Met Your Mother‘s Season 6 examination of death and grief will compete with Mitchell and Cameron’s first Modern Family kiss plus two Showtime standouts, while the 60-Minute category includes House’s Season 6 finale — the one from May of last year — and the Friday Night Lights series-ender (which aired on DirecTV last winter).

The eligibility period runs April to April. The 2010 winners on the TV front were The Good Wife and Glee (in a tie),  Modern Family and Nurse Jackie (tie), and Temple Grandin.

Below is a complete list of the 2011 Humanitas TV nominees:

Friday Night Lights — “Always,” written by Jason Katims
House — “Help Me,” written by Russel Friend, Garrett Lerner and Peter Blake
The Pacific — “Part 10,” written by Bruce McKenna and Robert Schenkkan

90-MINUTE CATEGORY:
Lifetime’s Reviving Ophelia, written by Teena Booth
Lifetime’s Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story , written by Michael Bortman
HBO’s Thurgood, written by George Stevens, Jr.

Winners of this year’s Humanitas Prize will be announced Friday, Sept. 16 at the annual ceremony in Beverly Hills.

1. :) says:

Himym :) I loved the countdown during the episode

2. TV Gord says:

I love the Humanitas award! ALWAYS watch something that wins a Humanitas!

3. Steven says:

Hoping for The Big C and Drop Dead Diva. The Emmys should split the categories 60 and 30 minutes.

4. Amber says:

All worthy nominees, but I don’t think there’s a show out there that explores the human condition in a nuanced, meaningful way more than Friday Night Lights did. That show was such a great character study.

5. MollyS says:

I would love to see HIMYM win this. For a show that’s supposed to make me laugh, it really made me cry and think deeply about when I lost my parents. I love that one show can make me laugh and cry and feel such emotions in only thirty minutes.

6. quinn says:

so Robert Schenkkan is Ben McKenzie’s uncle (his real last name is Schenkkan)…that’s right Ryan from the O.C.

• sadtroll says:

That is completely relevant information! I was wondering who the nominees might be related to and if any of them were in any way famous and also having different last names. Thank you!

7. Rachel says:

I really hope FNL and HIMYM get it!!

8. Tiffany says:

Rooting for House. “Help Me” is one of my favorite episodes. Beautifully written directed, filmed, and acted.

• Debbie says:

Tiffany, I agree. At first I thought they meant the season finale of LAST season and thought, you’ve GOT to be kidding me. But Help Me, Season 6’s finale definitely was a stand out episode for every reason you mention.

9. Carolina Cantillana López says:

Por favor, no pueden cortar la serie, me encanta y he seguido todos los capítulos no me he perdido ninguna temporada…..

10. Linda K (HAPPY) says:

I hope Hugh Laurie wins. He deserves it. He works so hard on the show. He might play a cranky doctor, but he gets the job done. and some of the episodes do hit home. Sometimes I laugh, and cry, its called feelings, esspecially when House told Cuddy “You want to know how I feel” > > HURT ! ! I can connect on Hugh’s character he plays. Hugh is a great actor. TV should reconize people like Hugh for what he does. I love Hugh for what he does in life and who he is. He has come a long way in what he has done.

11. John says:

House FTW!!!

12. Amanda says:

GO HOUSE WRITER’S!!!

13. Kimberley says:

I am glad that there are shows that can make us think and feel deeply and not just amuse us for a bit…House is one of those shows. Although I would never tolerate a doctor telling me not to pray (I have been spoiled by kind doctors!); I admire the character’s compassion for his patients, regardless of their income, race or whether they have health insurance…I would nominate ‘Broken” for that award just because it portrays House at his most vulnerable and unable to manipulate the system beyond the four walls of the Hospital. Also, the show portrayed the mentally ill in a positive instead of a stereotypical light;and one could not help but feel sad for Gregory House as he had to face his demons…the episode was beautifully filmed as well. Kudos to the actors, the extras and the writers for the episodes that make me cry. And it’s hard for me to get into a show…House is the only drama that I’ve actually managed to get into and even care about the characters…even the obnoxious ones ;) !