FX Picks Up Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk's American Horror Story, To Debut in October

A well-pedigreed American Horror Story will be told on FX, which has ordered to series the buzzy new drama from Glee bosses Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, and starring newly christened Emmy nominee Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights) and Dylan McDermott (The Practice).

“We’re thrilled to welcome Ryan and Brad back to their original home,” says FX president John Landgraf, referencing the pair’s collaboration on Nip/Tuck. “They have shown an uncanny ability to bring original series to the air unlike any that have come before, and to reconcile ‘wildly entertaining’ with the ‘creatively ambitious.’ This series is going to blow audiences back in their seats, and we can’t wait to have it on our air.”

While Horror Story‘s precise premise is being kept under wraps — FX only describes it as the story of “a family of three who move from Boston to Los Angeles as a means to reconcile past anguish” — this much is known: McDermott and Britton star as Ben Harmon, a sensitive therapist, and his wife Vivien, who is described as a force to be reckoned with in spite of her vulnerable demeanor. Two-time Oscar winner Jessica Lange will play their nosy neighbor, Constance, while Denis O’Hare (True Blood) fills the role of “Larry the burn guy.”

Jason Patric Lands Lead in FX’s Powers Pilot

Rounding out the cast — which is expected to change every season — are relative newcomer Taissa Farmiga (kid sis of Up in the Air‘s Vera) as the Harmons’ daughter, and Invasion/One Tree Hill grad Evan Peters as Tate, a patient of Ben’s who is described as “Charles Manson dangerous.”

Guest stars for the series include Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under) and Alexandra Breckenridge (Dirt) as the Harmon’s housekeepers; and Jamie Brewer as Constance’s daughter.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Sons of Anarchy and Much More!

American Horror Story is set to premiere its 13-episode first season sometime in October.

1. Tyler says:

How will Ryan and Brad be able to balance this with their great storytelling on Glee? Oh wait.

2. Jonathan says:

Good news!
    It’s expected to bow sometime this October? As in three months from now? Usually there’s a longer distance between series pickup and series premiere on a network like FX…

3. Mayra says:

I’m not ready to see ‘Mrs Coach’ playing anyone else’s wife!

4. Mike says:

Wait, so is the supporting cast expected to change, or the whole cast including the two leads?

5. boyd crowder says:

I’m pumped for this show! I CANNOT wait to see Connie Britton back on my tv!!!!

6. jeff says:

Isn’t the show set in san francisco?

7. Bee says:

YESSSS! FX makes good shows, i loved nip/tuck, what we know of the premise sounds very interesting, and above all, CONNIE’S BACK! so so excited for this. isn’t october a little late though? it’ll run right into late december.

8. Sam says:

I think this is right up Murphy’s alley. This type of serialized project wouldn’t allow him to drift into lazy writing (like what happened on Glee or Nip/Tuck). The lack of procedural elements might make him write at his best, which can be pretty darn good.

9. Cailin says:

Oh, great. Another show for Murphy and Co. to get people hooked on and then throw under a bus. After next season of “Glee” (and believe me, I’m only staying that long out of loyalty to the cast I’ve come to love so much) you couldn’t PAY me to watch anything with Murphy’s name attached ever again.

• Fred says:

You said it all, sister. And whats funny is Ryan Murphy said that true fans of Glee will stick around after the main cast is gone, haha, I was true fan by sticking around in Season Two, he got really lucky with the current cast. Lighting won’t strike in the same place, twice. RM has the Shondra Ryhmes thing going on, they create one phenomenon and then they’re TV gods.

10. Mockingbird says:

I saw Tim Minear (Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls, Drive, Terriers, etc) at a TV writers’ panel last month and he said he’s working on this show. Very excited to see this.

11. Phil says:

Yet another Storyline that says absolutely nothing what the series is about. Do you think we’re all stupid and don’t notice this bad reporting

• Chmarin says:

Are you blind or just plain stupid? It says in the article: “While Horror Story‘s precise premise is being kept under wraps…” The press release from FX is to blame here, it says absolutely nothing about what the show really is about. Get a grip. Jesus.

12. Phil Hersh says:

Nice how my posts calling out Chmarin but her posts calling me names are not. To reiterate the reporter could have tried to get more info. Instead all we’re reading is a Press Release. But Chmarin don’t get it

13. Fabricio says:

Ryan first created The WB’s Popular, then Nip Tuck, now Glee. With this new show he returns to the violence, sex scenes, strong languages and new dramas.

Glee is basically an idea from Ian Brennan with some elements from Murphy’s Popular tv-show and Mr. Falchuck, I think American Horror is more of Ryan’s twisted mind

14. KHS says:

I am very excited about this. People can criticize Ryan Murphy’s writing and ability to maintain a show all they want–you can NOT criticize the new, innovative show formats he has created (Oh hi, Popular, Nip/tuck, and Glee). Though I have never found myself to be a fan of the horror genre, I will certainly watch because there seems to be nothing like this on TV. I also love that it is on FX and, of course, the amazing cast. However, I am curious by something in this article: the cast will change every season? No, I’m already going through Connie Britton withdrawls–I don’t need another one!