'Teenage Dream' Vs. 'Like a Virgin' in Day 2 of Glee's Greatest Tournament Quarterfinals!

Two songs that should probably never be mashed up — “Teenage Dream” and “Like a Virgin” — head into battle on Day 2 of the Quarterfinals of TVLine.com’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament.

Yes, folks, we’re coming down to the wire in our semi-scientific attempt to determine which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy. And either Madonna’s classic chart-topper about feeling shiny and new (so to speak) or Katy Perry’s anthem about someone else feeling her skin-tight jeans will advance to our final four.

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next week, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you mentally humming your favorite Glee moments and anxiously wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinals voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks — or in how we narrowed the field from 64 down to 8 — click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. Fla says:

Teenage Dream!!!!

2. John says:

Teenage Dream!!

3. Kurtsies4eva says:

I just love Teenage Dream because it means something special. Its the first Warblers song, popular for a similar reason DSB is popular(: Not to mention its amazingg!

4. Lily says:

I will vote for anything to make the overrated Teenage Dream lose

• Miranda says:

I’m with you. I don’t even like ‘Like a Virgin’ all that much, but I hate Teenage Dream, the Warblers bore me to death.

• MollyS says:

Ditto. Teenage Dream is a dumb song and had absolutely no point aside from introducing Darren Criss the Warblers.

• Minnie_88 says:

Me too… The Warblers are extremely irritating

• Dove says:

When the boys all turn to the side sing about their tight jeans, oh my. I love every second of Teenage Dream, it’s better than KP’s version.

5. Diogo says:

I’m voted in Like a Virgin, because it was the first time that we heard Santana’s voice. However, I’m pretty sure that Teenage Dream will win this poll. Hope not!

6. S says:

Teenage Dream of course

7. ugh says:

like a virgin forever but ugh ofc teenage dream will win because of all the blarren stans

so overrated

8. Matt says:

Not a huge fan of either one, but had to go with Virgin because Teenage Dream is so painfully auto-tuned. I wish they would fire whoever runs the auto-tune on this show.

9. Ant says:

I like Teenage Dream but I sincerely hope it doesn’t win the whole thing.

10. Captain says:

I kind of love Like a Virgin because it’s the first time Santana got a solo but the performance itself is meh. Teenage Dream was a much better performance even though it’s totally overrated and I half want it to lose.

11. Ashley says:

Like a Virgin. No contest.

12. Fabricio says:

Teenage Dream.. for better or worse.. this song and this episode was a turning point for the 2nd season.

• Bob says:

Yes when it all went downhill.

• Puckleberry says:

Yup, my thoughts exactly.
      This is the moment that marked the downhill race to mediocrity of a once-great show.
      And I did like the Warbler version of a not-so-great-a-song by K. Perry, let me point out.
      My vote’s for Like a Virgin.

13. maria says:

Teenage Dream <333

14. Kristin says:

Like a Virgin. Always Like a Virgin. I seriously cannot believe that Teenage Dream is winning. It was not true to the plot. You could have put any song in that scene and it would have fit. Like a Virgin was true to the storyline.

15. Jack S says:

Not keen of Like A Virgin at all, so I vote for Teenage Dream although I do find that to be slightly over-rated too.

16. Mallory says:

I would vote for anything to make Like a Virgin lose. It was corny and a ridiculous scene.

17. Demis says:

I do think Teenage Dream is overrated, but it was the first performance by the fairy princess himself—Blaine. The first time I saw the performance I liked it (BEFORE, I knew what Blaine/Darren would become, an overrated character), the performance was cute and would make anyone gay or straight swoon over Blaine. . .at the time.

Like A Virgin, was okay, but the song itself is just not a good song, it fit the moment but it was soo awkward to watch. I almost died of embarrasment for them. It was like really, ew. Next scene please.

18. Nicole says:

Like A Virgin because Wemma was sexy in it :P

19. ggny says:

DSB and Somebody to Love are going against each other but one of these 2 are gonna move on to next round? Why wasnt DSB and STL split up? I cant not believe one of these 2 are gonna go on to the next round but either DSB or STL wont…Such a shame that a overrated song from the horrible season 2 is gonna be some of the greats from season 1

• ggny says:

i meant beat not be

• CM says:

I totally agree with you. “Teenage Dream” is good. But not good enough, not good like “Don’t Stop Believing” and “Somebody to Love” are. And “Like a Virgin”? What were people actually thinking when they voted for that? This sh*t sucks. In the end “Teenage Dream” will win just because pretty much every girl is in love with Darren Criss (not me, I prefer Cory Monteith).
      The only songs I really do like from season 2 are “Sing” and “For Good”, and neither was in the competion.

20. lace says:

As much as I enjoyed Teenage Dream, Like a Virgin is the better song/performance for me. You get to hear a variety of voices and the performance was great!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Plus, the “Virgin” performance/sequence told a story and supported a plot point.

• Noelbelle says:

I agree. Like a Virgin worked really well with the storyline. I also liked that the lyrics had three different meanings for the three different couples. I thought it was really well-executed. I liked Teenage Dream, but I don’t get why people are so crazy about it.

• Darsy says:

To be honest, Like a Virgin felt like the entire plot was designed TO sing the song (See ‘Bust Your Windows’). I disagree with your inference that Teenage Dream wasn’t telling a story or supporting a plot point–sure, it was more subtle, but tell me you don’t think that Kurt was going through a LOT during that performance! There was more on his mind than ‘hey, the lead singer is hot,’ IMO. Not the least of which was ‘oh my god, I could fit in here’ and ‘there’s a school where the Glee club gets a reception like THIS?!’

• phylosaccount says:

that sounds like a lame excuse to vote for a lame song. Like a virgin was more of a choral piece, teenage dream was darren criss’ garbage. Making up theories about what Kurt was thinking is not just a little insane (obsessivo much?) but also plain contrived. Also Kurt is just one character, in like a virgin there were six, ergo it is more important.

21. Brittnie says:

Teenage Dream is so much better than Like a Virgin.

22. Allie says:

No competition here, Teenage Dream of course.

23. AB says:

HAHA I knew there would be hate for anything that includes Darren Criss or The Warblers.

It doesn’t surprise me. But I have to say, I’m totally in love with Jonathan Groff, but this song was just awkward and I don’t even own the download of it. Sure they used it in the right spot, but the whole thing behind it made me cringe.

Teenage Dream gets my vote.

24. gato says:

really dislike Katy Scarys “work” but love this version of the song!

25. airhead says:

Definitely Teenage Dream!
    Watching Like a Virgin was just really awkward… plus I’ve always sort of hated Emma and Will, so that kind of made the choice for me

• Kristy says:

I agree.
      I found Like a Virgin a very awkward scene to watch. While I LOVE Santana’s voice an appreciate that this was the first time we heard it, the “story” that this song was telling was very uncomfortable for me to watch…I can’t believe it’s made it this far.

26. Andi says:

I do like Teenage Dream. I’m hardly a Klaine fangirl but I honestly do like the song. Considering I hate pretty much everything that Katy Perry has every put up, anyone who can make one of her songs appealing to me has done something right in my book.

Like a Virgin was painful to watch for me. I don’t care for the song, even when Madonna did it. Glee didn’t do anything to make it better for me and actually managed to make it worse. I really wish Like a Prayer had been the Madonna tune to make it this far, at least that one deserved it for me.

27. Andrew says:

AHHH these posts are out of control. There are way too many of them. Just pick a final song already. It is flooding the site.

28. CMJ says:

Darren Criss is a much hotter fake gay than Jonathan Groff will ever hope or dream to be as a real one.

29. Jaime says:

Teenage Dream all the way!!

30. mandy says:

Teenage Dream! Heck I have this version on my I Pod and not Katy Perry’s! ;)

31. Noora says:

This one was easy. Teenage Dream is my favorite Glee song so naturally I’m voting for it.

32. Marco says:

It was really easy; Teenage Dream was the beginning of the ‘sellout’ phase of Glee, AND the first song by unnecessary, unneeded and definitely underwritten Plain Blanderson, not to mention it’s just plain bad, so I couldn’t do anything else but vote ‘Like A Virgin’.

33. O says:

I can’t believe how many votes Teenage dreams got! Like a virgin was way better. *sad*

34. Nick says:

I prefer Teenage Dream.

35. Lucy says:

I would vote for Like A Virgin except I hateee that song. the originals, the cover, humming it it’s enough to give me nauseas. The scene is fun but the music is awful and lol at the people saying it was the first time Naya sang therefore it’s a glorious song. People get a grip. Keep voting on Songbird and stop with the ridiculous spamming.

Voted for Teenage Dream. If Like a Prayer hadn’t been massacred I would’ve voted for it instead of TD.

36. Sarah says:

Teenage Dream all the way baby!!! Darren Criss is amazing and I love Blaine on the show. Great call by Ryan to bump him to series regular. Now if Klaine can just stay together…..

37. Kali says:

I didn’t really like the warblers story line. Kurt is my favourite character but he should have never left McKinley. I find Blaine sooo boring and overrated.

38. DanOregon says:

Teenage Dream – mainly because it came out of nowhere. The song is good, but one moment Kurt is feeling lost, and the next he’s in a room where the glee club is being supported and cheered. Kurt seeing the students grooving on the Warblers was what makes that song work.

39. sleziello fan says:

‘xcuse me, slezak. where’s GET IT RIGHT?
    competition is so invalid without this son.

40. Amber says:

I’m trying to tell myself that it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things what song wins this contest, but Like a Virgin losing is just making me sad.