Glee's Greatest? Quarterfinals Kick Off With 'Don't Stop Believing' Vs. 'Somebody to Love'

We’ve reached the Quarterfinals of’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament, and a battle looms between two of New Directions’ greatest hits.

Glee Shocker: Lea Michele, Cory Monteith and Chris Colfer Not Returning For Season 4

Yes, folks, it’s not just Journey vs. Queen, or red shirts vs. blue ones. It’s about which performance by Glee‘s central show choir ranks at No. 1 in your hearts and minds — and which deserves a slot in the final four of our month-long compeition. Choosing a winner won’t be easy, but alas, it’s the only way to determine which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next week, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you mentally humming your favorite Glee moments and anxiously wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Quarterfinals voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks — or in how we narrowed the field from 64 down to 8 — click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Vilya says:

This is so hard! I had to go with “Somebody to Love.” It was the first Glee single I ever bought, so it has sentimental value. :)

2. Mark S says:

This is a tough one. I am going for the underdog Somebody to Love. Don’t Stop Believing is the iconic song of the show, so I am guessing it will win. It is very close for me, but Mercedes killed her part at the end, which gives it the edge for me.

3. grace says:

i chose “Don’t Stop Believing”, when the show was actually good :|

4. Anne says:

Yeesh. This one actually required some consideration before voting. In any other face-off Don’t Stop Believing would have won my vote on sheer iconic value alone, but Somebody to Love, as my personal favorite, eeks out a slight victory in the internal debate.

5. gigi says:

6. lee says:

don’t stop believing sucked wayyy too overrated I am sorry

7. Stacy says:

Somebody to Love is my favorite Glee song and the one I’m hoping will win it all (though so far it doesn’t seem too likely). Unpretty/I Feel Pretty is my second choice though! Please anything but Teenage Dream.

8. Miah says:

whilst DSB is the iconic tune, STL is so much better. DSB is slightly overrated tbh.

9. Chris Halarewich says:

“Don’t Stop Believing” All the way

10. Liz says:

Aaaahhh!! That was hard but had to go with “Don’t Stop Believin” because when they did that in the first episode I knew this was going to be a great show

11. Rugby says:

If it had been the Regionals version of ‘Don’t Stop Beleivin’ then it would’ve got my vote. Somebody to Love was great, and still a Glee fav, everyone blended so well together, and Mercedes broke my eardrums with that note.

• Kathryn says:

I totally agree Rugby!! The Regionals version has Santana/Puck/Mercedez. When they get to the key change I get chills I LOVE that version

• e says:

Yuck the Regional version is in no way better. And Merceds not and unnecessary flair and Chris out no where high voice did nto help it at all.

The whole reason DSB is great is the original 6 singing it for the joy of singing.

12. Damien says:

Don’t Stop Believing hands DOWN. I actually forgot that they even did Somebody to Love.

13. Ashley says:

Hard choice, but I have to go with “Somebody to Love”. “Don’t Stop Believing” was the promise of Glee – first season hinted at; “Somebody to Love” was that promised fulfilled.

14. othfan says:

after seeing them live, I have to go with somebody to love. The first note Cory sang sent shivers down my spine and Amber at the end brought me to tears. No everytime I listen to this song I have all theses feelings back, it feels SO good!

15. Puckleberry says:

Don’t Stop Believing does it for me. That final scene is what made me a Gleek! Schuester being moved by his students, Puck, Sue and the cheerios witnessing that moment.
    Yup, Somebody to Love was quite good too. But my vote is for the Red shirts!

16. Rachel says:

Don’t Stop Believing is too iconic not to vote for. I loved “Somebody to Love”, but I think Don’t Stop Believing still really representative of the show. And really good.

17. Rob J. says:

Okay, the bracketing is officially irredeemable. If these two were going to go head-to-head, it should have been for the finals, not even for the semi-finals, much less for the *quarter*-finals.
    That’s it. I’m done with this joke.

18. Andi says:

The songs are about on par with each other quality wise. The show wasn’t as over preformed in the first few episodes.

That said, I just prefer Don’t Stop Believing as a song. I don’t really care much for Somebody To Love.

19. Marina says:

Hardest round yet. Went with Somebody to Love

20. Andrea says:

Hardest one yet! I went with Somebody to Love b/c it really was awesome..although Glee will always be associated with Don’t Stop Believing.

21. Jenny says:

Oh Lord! How to chose between these two. Overall I don’t care which one wins because they are my two absolute favorites. I ended up voting for Somebody to Love simply because I feel like with that song New Directions was born. It was the first performance we have with the full 12 together. They were a team at that moment. Don’t Stop is an iconic moment in the show. But the team wasn’t complete at that moment.

22. Carla says:

I love how in the picture that Mercedes is on the left of Rachel in both pictures lolol

• P says:

That is becasue since we are talking best songs so might as well just keep
      Rachel’s picture up all the time.

She is consistantly great.

23. Em says:

I went with Somebody To Love because from the very first note with Cory’s “Cannnn” to Amber’s glory note – CHILLS. What also made me pick STL over DSB – it was the first time the group came together – so that’s what makes it special to me.

24. RS says:

Mercedes killed my ears at the end of StL, which makes it an awful song for me. I am apparently the only person who feels this way, but I’m sticking to it.

• 66 says:

This is the one song that Mercedes wails on a note that I don’t hate.

I hate when people say she never get anything um except for this huge moment that was performed at the Invitational and Sectionals.

25. Jack S says:

I think they are both so over-rated. Neither would be in my top 50 Glee tracks, never mind top 2 (maybe slightly OTT, DSB might edge in).

My vote was easy, I do quite enjoy Don’t Stop Believin’, whereas Somebody To Love, sorry but whats so special about it? I really don’t understand the fuss.

This is not the fault of Glee, btw. I hate STL as a song, and Glee couldn’t really have done anything to save it for me.

26. JD says:

somebody to love is the best song/exhibition EVER!! don’t stop believing is SO overrated…

27. CMJ says:

gotta go with DSB because Justin Bieber is satan’s handmaiden.

• Sharon says:

The Somebody to Love they are talking about is Queen’s version, not JB’s. You can tell by the picture.

• Annoula says:

Yeah, what Sharon said, but CMJ, I feel your pain. Justin Bieber should not be allowed to steal a title from not one, but two great songs.

28. Annoula says:

While “Don’t Stop Believing” was a great song with which to start the show, I can’t vote for it because I am sick and tired of hearing it every time there’s some promotional thing for Glee. I have to vote for “Somebody to Love,” especially because it’s Queen, and I really didn’t like what Glee did to Bohemian Rhapsody (don’t get me wrong, I love that they mixed with Quinn giving birth, but I completely didn’t get why Jesse St. James was singing those lyrics). Somebody to Love was sung perfectly by all the voices, not just Mercedes’, and its lyrics were relevant to the episode and are basically permanently relevant to every episode. “Don’t Stop Believing” shares some of these qualities, but it’s overplayed to the point that I can’t hear the magic anymore.

29. Ben says:

Always thought Don’t Stop Believing was massively overrated, everybody says it’s the song that started the show but to me that was On My Own. Somebody to Love is still one of my favourite group numbers, and The Rhodes Not Taken is still one of my favourite episodes so it has to be STL.

30. Jennifer says:

This is a tough one cuz I like both but I am gonna pick Somebody to Love.

31. Emily says:

Can’t believe you put these two against each other. The two signature songs!

32. zarah says:

somebody to love is my favourite ever glee performance.

33. Kyle says:

While Somebody to Love is a truly great number, for me I had to go for Don’t Stop Believing for the simple fact that it really started it all in a matter of speaking.

34. Gleek says:

Don’t Stop Believing FTW!

35. barbara says:

My favourite song is:somebody_300 jajajajja kises

36. sophie says:

i love glee so much

37. Andrea says:

como van a quitar a los mejores de la serie!!! la serie será un coñazo!!además que pasa con el resto del reparto…??son todos tontos y repiten menos Lea, Cory Monteith and Chris Colfer!!!vengaaa no me lo tragooo

38. Jessica says:

Seriously? That’s a tuff choice. I felt both songs were preformed well. I’m not much for remakes but I think kudos should go out to not only the performers themselves but to the person who had the creativity too redirect and remake two classic well known songs. And with that note I vote “somebody to love” because it’s hard to hold up a candle next to Queen.

39. Aaron says:

My Final Four- Dont Stop Believing vs. Dream On and Like a Virgin(but Teenage Dream is its Runner-up) vs. Dont Rain on My Parade

Finals…. Dont Stop Believing vs. Dont Rain on My Parade

Winner- Dont Stop Believing!

40. emily says:

Its totally somebody to love I think that song was one of season ones top songs.also Mercedes did a great ending<3

41. gayle says:

I couldn’t decide i love them both

42. Brandon says:

these are my favorite songs in season 1 . !!

43. katty says:

DOn’t Stop believing ps no del cabro d ejustinnn !! de journeyy esa cancion es le mejor d eexo k tiene k ganar DOn’t Stop believing

44. sofia says:

the show was better when old songs were performed, i didn’t like the britney stuff and the popular new songs.. what’s the point in that? they’re not better than the originals, but hearing old songs in new voices is different. The other thing I don’t like is that there aren’t any international songs, only american ones.. that is boring.

45. Tadeja says:

Somebody to love <3 cuz it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when i think about Achele

46. ChrisColferForever100 says:

“Don’t Stop Believin'”!!!! It’s a CLASSIC from Glee!!!

47. kristenrene says:

Even though don’t stop believing Is like the main song for glee, after a while it kinda gets annoying, so im gonna have to go with somebody to love,which I LOVE,I play it nonstop on my iPod. :)