Breaking: TNT Cancels Men of a Certain Age

The midlife misadventures of Joe, Owen and Terry have come to an end.

TNT on Friday pulled the plug on Men of a Certain Age, which just aired its Season 2 finale on July 6.

A statement from the cabler reads: “TNT has been proud to be a part of Men of a Certain Age for two seasons. While the show has featured great storytelling and impeccable performances, the audience simply hasn’t built to the point where we can continue the series. This was an extremely difficult decision for us. We wish Ray Romano, [series creator] Mike Royce and the terrific cast and crew … the very best and look forward to exploring new programming possibilities in the future.”

Scott Bakula Teases ‘Funnier, Dramatic-er’ Men Of A Certain Age, Hopes for Chuck Encore

Though loved by many, MOACA‘s termination comes as little surprise to those who mind the numbers. Despite featuring heavy hitters like Everybody Loves Raymond headliner Ray Romano, Quantum Leap/Chuck vet Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher — who just netted his second Emmy nom for the TNT series — the dramedy was delivering barely 1.8 million viewers, while scoring a mere 0.4 demo rating.

1. sandydc says:

I will join the chorus of those who mourn this excellent series. I am hopeful that another network with lower ratings expectations might be persuaded to take it on.

2. Emgee says:

You mean I don’t even have to sit through previews of this boring show anymore? SCORE!

3. Matthew says:

The cancellation of “Men…” is just another indication as to the direction our society is going. I agree completely about the scheduling, about splitting the second season into two, it’s lousy planning.

To me, it points to a deliberate means of them guaranteeing the show would fail, so it would free up an hour. They may have had a contract, where if the show had decent (not stellar, but decent) ratings, they would have to keep it on, but by moving it, splitting it, they made sure it would wither on the vine.

However, the main reason it was canceled, in my opinion, is that it was simply too good for the average American. Look at the most popular shows: they are mindless drivel. An intelligently written show, that is well acted, without over the top antics, made up science is sadly not going to last. Networks learned during writer’s strike that stupid reality shows are cheap and don’t require much writing, and yet the American audience soaks them up.

It’s all about numbers, and the more unrealistic, over the top, bombastic the so-called “drama”, the better for ratings and thus dollars.

Just look at shows like CSI (unrealistic science, plots and characters), NCIS (just as ridiculous as CSI), Leverage (completely absurd), Burn Notice (a show I like somewhat, but absurd in many ways), Franklin & Bash (they would be disbarred in a week), Bones (again, completely unrealistic science and ridiculously dramatic), True Blood (please…), Grey’s Anatomy and House (I’m an ICU nurse, yet, somehow, these hospitals function with almost no nursing whatsoever, besides the idiotic plots of GA, do like the dialogue on House, though).

There is simply very little room in the American psyche for a well-written, well-acted show that depicts the happenings of three guys like “Men…”. Hell, even the reality shows aren’t as realistic as “Men…”. Reality shows are filled with people told to be as ridiculous and obnoxious as possible because that’s what people want to see.

The American population doesn’t want to see good, solid, well-written shows like “Men…” because they are no longer entertained by such shows. Such shows make you think, beg for introspection, make you identify with realistic characters. Yet, we reject them.

What does that say about us as a country?

• Emgee says:

“Leverage” is awesome. “Franklin & Bash” is hilarious (who cares if they would be disbarred in a week? It’s TV). “Burn Notice” is awesome, but “Burn Notice” is awesome, but like the rest of the shows you mentioned, irrelevant to the discussion since it is on a different network.

The real problem with “Men of a Certain Age” is that, well, to be blunt, it sucked. It sucked big time. I barely made it through the first episode, and even the previews for the show were flat out boring. Was it well-acted? It’s an irrelevant question since great acting can’t cover up poor writing. Great acting can’t save an otherwise awful show. Ben Affleck is a great actor, but even he couldn’t save “Gigli.”

Granted, there will be people who disagree. But the ratings speak for themselves. People just weren’t willing to take the time to tune in to “MoaCA.”

4. andrea williams says:

This was destination viewing for my boyfriend and me, mid-50’s, this is the ONLY show we actually enjoyed together. It spoke to so many themes of love, insecurity, parental relationships, friendship, low self-esteem, how many shows even attempt to do that?!?! The leads were so flawed and endearing, so well-developed, the writing was nuanced and hysterical. I have such respect for Ray Ramano for even attempting a show like this, he could be golfing in Palm Springs and living off royalties. BRAVO RAY!

5. Trish says:

Shocking! I loved this show! Do execs have any clue what they’re doing? In this day of realty TV – give some of us a break! This smart, well-acted show is a leader for others to follow. I sincerely hope another network is smart enough to recognize a winner and pick this one up. I’m not feeling endeared to TNT right now.

6. blingedup.susan says:

Ugh. This was one of my favorite shows on television.

Although I was a huge fan of the show, I had too much trouble knowing when it was starting and stopping. It was the only time I turned on TNT. I just entered it in my DVR and was pleasantly surprised when it popped up.

There’s a facebook group trying to save the show.

Save Men Of a Certain Age:

7. William says:

Emgee- Ben Affleck is NOT a great actor. Andre Braugher is a GREAT actor. I am a card holding, 20 year veteran of the actor’s union. This show is the most brilliant writing on TV in years. I will never watch TNT again. Your comments show me you are young, and your brain has not developed enough to determine what “Is” and “Isn’t” quality. Come back in a few years. Unfortunately, most shows are geared for folks with your intelligence- Limited intelligence. This show was brilliant and for folks that have “Lived” and come out burned, but still fighting. Grown up boy.

8. sailorgrl says:

I realize I’m late on this but Men…was a great show and am totally bummed on the cancellation. They should be proud of what they created.

9. Steph says:

This was a quality show about growing older. That’s what made it beautiful! Every person in their lives faces the choices and dilemmas portrayed in the show. It’s a coming of age commentary and touched on a lot of truths about getting older, and it did it with style and humor. This show go canceled because there were no speeding cop cars with their sirens blaring, so shootouts with anyone and no violence or gore. This is a SAD commentary about what we as Americans value in our television shows. Gruesome crime scenes trump deep meaningful storytelling every time. We should be ashamed of ourselves!

10. exqo says:

MOACA was a great show, I’ve enjoyed it. Good luck to the cast and crew.