Breaking: TNT Cancels Men of a Certain Age

The midlife misadventures of Joe, Owen and Terry have come to an end.

TNT on Friday pulled the plug on Men of a Certain Age, which just aired its Season 2 finale on July 6.

A statement from the cabler reads: “TNT has been proud to be a part of Men of a Certain Age for two seasons. While the show has featured great storytelling and impeccable performances, the audience simply hasn’t built to the point where we can continue the series. This was an extremely difficult decision for us. We wish Ray Romano, [series creator] Mike Royce and the terrific cast and crew … the very best and look forward to exploring new programming possibilities in the future.”

Scott Bakula Teases ‘Funnier, Dramatic-er’ Men Of A Certain Age, Hopes for Chuck Encore

Though loved by many, MOACA‘s termination comes as little surprise to those who mind the numbers. Despite featuring heavy hitters like Everybody Loves Raymond headliner Ray Romano, Quantum Leap/Chuck vet Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher — who just netted his second Emmy nom for the TNT series — the dramedy was delivering barely 1.8 million viewers, while scoring a mere 0.4 demo rating.

1. mst3k says:

sad face. This show was good, even though little ever happened and it seemed to move real slow.

2. Holly says:

Does this mean Bakula’s available to reprise his role on Chuck? (flashback or otherwise.)

• Liz says:

my thoughts exactly.

• Ace says:

This, so hard. My first reaction to this news was “Aw man, that’s sad.” My second was “ORION’S BACK!!!”

• Scott says:

heh. I just saw the headline and followed the link just to posit that very thought!

• Chris says:

Every Chuck fan’s heart just skipped a beat, but did anyone else think Ray Romano could now be up for the role of the new Office boss??? lol

• Becca says:

By the way things ended in the finale I demand Bakula to help close the final season of Chuck in more than one episode hopefully. He can team up with his old buddy Winterbottom.

3. Rich says:

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING!!!! TNT YOU SUCK!!!!!

4. Somebody says:

Hmmm I thought it was a popular show for TNT?!

5. TV Gord says:

This is very disappointing. Hanging onto this should would have spoken volumes about TNT’s commitment to quality television. Now…?

6. Michelle says:

Disappointed. It truly a very good show and unlike anything else on tv. I swear how does TNT support shows like that 2 women cop show and that other 2 lawyer show. Now that is garbage tv

• theduck says:

To all those who are asking about TNT’s commitment to “quality television”…

It seems as if every time a show is cancelled (on any network) people will come out of the woodwork to whine about how wonderful the show is, and why the network won’t continue it. So in order to hopefully end this kind of thing (as if!), let me put it as simply as possible: television is a business, and a show that does not pull in ratings will be cancelled. It’s as simple as that. So, to answer your question, Michelle, TNT supports “that 2 women cop show and… 2 lawyer show” because they pull in a large enough audience to allow TNT to charge advertisers enough to cover the cost of the show and make a profit (of course, your proclaiming them “garbage tv” doesn’t make it so). That wasn’t the case for Men of a Certain Age. It’s unfortunate, as we’ve all had shows we like cancelled when they still had life in them, but can we please have an end to the griping about what is, ultimately, a business decision? Seriously, people, no one is cancelling your shows just to annoy you, OK?

• tvlover44 says:

Agreed, @theduck, that tv is a business and TNT had to function in that reality. However – the network made some decisions in regards to this show that certainly didn’t seem that bright, from a business point-of-view, such as airing only 6 episodes of season 2 in late 2010/early 2011, taking a six-month break, and then airing the second 6 episodes of season 2. Anyone with half a brain could see that kind of scheduling wasn’t going to do wonders for the show’s ratings, and the promotion could’ve been better as well. So, yes, we do have a right to be annoyed, as the network mishandled things from a business perspective and now our brilliant show is no more because of it.

• JB Smooove says:

EXACTLY TVLOVER, what in the hell was up with that pathetic scheduling. I missed the back half of season one and season two was huge clusterfudge. The show was great, tho I do agree story progression was a bit slow; however, I loved the characters and the journeys they were on. Damn TNT!

• Meg says:

I watch 3 shows on TNT. Men Of A Certain Age was advertised multiple times during each hour of viewing. They advertised the show well enough.

Truth be told, the series premiered with 5.4 million viewers. The first season finale only had 2.6 million viewers. They lost more than half their audience in the first season, and failed to retain that whole audience during their second season. If people really wanted to watch a show and were truly interested in it they would actively try to find out the date/time of the show and watch.

• theduck says:

No argument on your point – it’d be nice if networks learned that a months-long hiatus in the middle of a season is a bad thing for a series, and you’re right to be annoyed by this kind of mis-management. But as pointed out by Meg, the show lost half its audience between seasons 1 and 2, so the hiatus wasn’t the only problem. I just get annoyed by those who put down other shows that they think is “garbage tv” (and, by extension, their fans) because a show they enjoy is no more. This is counter-productive and doesn’t do anyone any good.

• Smokeydog43 says:

You got it Duck. This show will probably have a cult following. I remember being in college when they cancelled “Star Trek on television. We all griped then (before Twitter/Facebook/Email/Internet etc.. Didn’t bring the show back on television, except for many years of lucrative TV reruns and megabuck movie sequels…

• trenchant says:

Broadcast networks used to know that the news should not have to make money–but should be broadcast out of obligation. No more.
        TNT should give shows like “Men” a better chance, as plain, ole, good customer service. But, they don’t. Look at “Southland.” Barely made it.
        Except now and then on premium cable, anything I find on television that I just love, is either cancelled, or dumbed-down so much I can’t stand to watch it.
        I wish “Men” could find a new home. Fingers crossed for Southland.”

7. Karen says:

this is sad news – love this show :-(

8. Bill says:

This is horrible news. “Men…” was consistantly one of the best shows on TV – shuffling it in and out of the lineup for a month – and then changing the day the show aired didn’t help the series at all. Shame on you, TNT.

• Ann says:

I totally agree

• DJ says:

Agree, and this should have been addressed in the article. It’s the reason for the low ratings & the cancellation.

• tvlover44 says:

@dj – you’re right, and it’s annoying that press coverage is tending to focus on the upcoming ‘dallas’ reboot as if it’s a replacement for ‘men…’, rather than looking to the network’s own actions that surely contributed to the show’s difficulties in gaining a greater audience.

9. Rick B. says:

Tremendously disappointing – this was the only show I watched on TNT, and was always excellent viewing.

I can’t help but feel that it was a HUGE mistake to split Season 2 into two parts – both halves just started to get going, and then they were done. Better to run it over 12 consecutive weeks and let it build some momentum.

Fewer and fewer decent things to watch these days……..

• Aaron says:

You want good tv? Turn to HBO at 9pm eastern on Sunday, after that’s over head on over to AMC at 10pm…Best night on television starting Sunday

• Linda J says:

Your suggestions only work if you are lucky enough to have pay channels. AMC used to be good till they decided it was okay to air commercials in their broadcasts.

• Snsetblaze says:

The networks – both cable and regular – keep making that mistake. The entire season should be run together (except there should be 2 weeks off at Christmas – and two weeks only – not the entire month of December and 3/4 of January). The shows should also try and remain in the same time period, not change time periods when they return after a break (like Men did). I will miss this show.

• tvlover44 says:

I know what you mean, but there is a reason behind those long breaks in december/january – it’s called ‘sweeps’ which occurs in february (along with november and may). you’ll notice that in those months, in which ratings are collected that determine adversiser rates, there are rarely re-runs. there are frequently ‘stunt’ episodes of shows, though, as networks go after more eyeballs and thus those coveted advertiser dollars. a pretty crazy system (not to mention the problems with the neilsen family set-up for measurement), but that’s what we’ve got…

10. rich says:

Pity. It really was a quality program, very good viewing in off-peak short seasons.

11. Jason says:

3 of comments above seem to make it sound like TNT shut down the show because they are picking the wrong horse. Don’t forget that TNT has to do what is best for the company. If your co-worker had a high salary and didn’t get his work done, would it be a smart move for the company to keep him around? Whether a show is good or bad, they can’t keep shows on for charity sake.

• DJ says:

How about if he was a great salesman but he wasn’t allowed access to a phone or computer & could only work from Midnight to 2AM. It’s essentially the same thing. The show is great, but they split a 12 episode season & changed nights. The show didn’t stand a chance.

12. Paul says:

As a man of that certain age, I can only say…this sucks! Hard enough to find quality programs these days but to find such a great one about mature men is like finding hen’s teeth. Guess TNT should change it’s name to The Women’s Network since the only shows they keep showcase the problems of women!

• Meg says:

Seriously? The only shows I currently watch on TNT are Leverage, Falling Skies, and Franklin & Bash. None of those “showcase the problems of women.”

13. Ann says:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

14. Michelle says:

Jason, TNT didn’t help matters. They split the show season 2 into 2 seasons and only aired 6 episodes at a time. It’s not wonder people couldn’t figure out the schedule of the show.

15. HI says:

Another sad face. THR had a great article the other day on why they shouldn’t cancel the show. Another quality show lost.

What are the chances of another channel picking up the show, none?

16. Ann says:

Can it possibly and hopefully be picked up by another channel? I am so sad now and – how silly – worried about what will happen with those Men of a Certain Age. I will soooo miss you guys.

17. Em says:

I’ve been wanting to get into the show, but honestly, I never knew when it was on.

18. LeapDayBaby says:

With any luck, this means that Andre Braugher can be reeled in for a return to “House”! Lord knows that Dr. Crankypants could use some serious therapy right about now.

19. Lana says:

Well, that blows.

20. gigi says:

Quality, QUALITY SHOW! Heard the the return of Dallas would take it’s time slot, what garbage!

21. Kendall says:

Bummer Bummer Bummer. I totally love this show. It’s one of my favorites! I can’t believe there isn’t space for this quality of a show — Peabody Award and Emmy Nomination for Andre Braugher isn’t enough! Bummer!

• Linda J says:

Very well acted show and it only cemented my opinion of Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher as actors. Award worthy performances. Poignant and funny all in the same episode too.

• Lyn says:

Agree with you, Linda, and must add that even Ray Romano — kind of an annoying, passive-aggressive whiner on his “Raymond” series — gave touching, nuanced performances in this show. The writing was that good, and so were the supporting actors.

22. DarkHawe says:

Thanggod! Now Braugher can find something decent to star in, like the cruelly murdered “Thief,” for which he still won an Emmy. The fewer flaccid, boring and misandronistic shows on TV, the better. Good riddance!

23. Joe says:

QUICK! FIRE JAMES SPADER!

• Snsetblaze says:

Well, James won’t be relevant since he will be moving up the ladder at Sabre/Dunder Mifflin. But it does free Ray Romano (or Scott Bakula or Andre Braugher) to be the new regional manager on the office. I’d be curious to see Andre Braugher or Scott Bakula in a straight comedy (Quantum Leap doesn’t count – it had humor but was not really a “comedy” comedy).

24. mykey716 says:

For all the complaints about the show being ‘moved’ around the schedule; in NYC anyway, the show airs several times in the same week! I set my DVR up to record these shows based on new episdoes, all airings – this way I’m guaranteed to catch at least one of them. Then I can fine tune it to record at a specific time. I’ve not missed a single episode of ‘Men of A Certain Age’ and agree with others, it’s a shame it’s being cancelled, but we have ‘Franklin & Bash’, the stupidest lawyer show and ‘Rizzoli & Isles’, which is nowhere near as good as the books. Hopefully, ‘Southland’ won’t face the same fate!!

25. Rick says:

FU TNT!!

26. Rob J. says:

Seems to me that this is another one that would be perfect for DirecTV to pick up.

27. Anna says:

Thoroughly disappointing. The loss of this great show to make room for dumber, bigger hits, shows a lack of integrity on the part of TNT.

28. Disgusted with TNT says:

This was only series on TV worth giving my 43 minutes to (ff thru commercials). The breaking up the season was a stupid, stupid decision by the dimwits at TNT. These idiots had a GREAT show and didn’t provide the format that allowed a build-up.

Back to watching BO ruin our country on Fox News.

• Lyn says:

Yes — as soon as you figured out what night it was on, the six-show “season” would be over! Very disappointing that when there’s finally a show that isn’t filled with the usual cops/crimes/lawyers, it wasn’t on a network that would give it a fighting chance.

29. cheryl says:

i know the ratings were poor, but i’m still gonna mourn this one. wonderful portrayal of the nuances of true friendship with great commitment to characters both flawed and loveable

30. Wendy says:

A horrible decision really!! This was a great show! I just saw the season finale and I’m upset about this news! >:-/

31. Julie Harris says:

I wonder if they’ll change their minds if Andre Braugher wins an Emmy? Too bad TNT moved the time slot; I’m sure a lot of people had a hard time finding the show this year. It was also up against Top Chef Masters during the first part of the season which might have siphoned off some of the same demographic. Now I’ll never know how Joe does on the Senior Tour, if Terry managed to become successful directing, and worst of all, I’ll never find out how Owen dealt with his dad’s sale of the Chevy dealership. MOACA, you will be missed!

• Snsetblaze says:

Or if the bookie Man something or other gets better, or if Terry and Erin lasted, or if Joe finally dates his fantasy woman. I will miss this show.

32. 3dhouseofmagic says:

So sad, this was a great show with excellent writing for the stresses of life “of a certain age.” It may have been slow, but it engaged you in to what they were going through-that is quality tv.

Having on at 10/11 pm surely didn’t help anything!

33. Cass says:

That sucks. I didn’t watch the show, but am a big fan of Ray Romano and Scott Bakula, and I liked the idea that their talented selves were represented somewhere on television. Bummer. I hope all three leading men find wonderful new roles very soon.

34. Juan says:

I just started getting into this show in the softball episode this season.
    They deserved another shot.

35. thechick says:

Will really miss this show. Didn’t realize the season had been split into 2 but that explains why the season (and now the series) finale came so quickly.

36. Jerseygal says:

What a great show, the whole package, writing/acting. Will be sorely missed. So little to watch on tv.

37. Scott says:

I find it amusing people complain about TNT not spending a million or more an episode to keep a show that doesn’t have the ratings. No offense meant, but it is called The Entertainment BUSINESS for a reason. That’d be like saying a company keep making thousand of cars as they are classics but only 50 people actually buy them

• Bennett says:

Well, if that is the case, then the BUSINESS people at TNT should be fired. You can’t pull the horrible scheduling stunts with a product that you spent money to produce. Then it loses viewers and you wonder why? ALL the cable channels are pulling these stunts. Ten shows is not a season! Splitting a “season” into 6 shows and then 6 more shows 6 months later is a terrible BUSINESS decision!!

38. Jd says:

Best show on TNT. I wonder if people’s TiVo/DVR hits count towards the ratings? I’m truly disappointed. Great character development … Winder what the odds ate ofxa REAL network picking thus up are? Sone if the trash that makes it on those big networks compared to a real show like this blows my mind.

39. ex-producer says:

TV execs are frighteningly stupid and NONE of them will take any chances. They just shut up and enjoy their $300k a year salaries – (I know, I worked with them for 20 years). Not a creative bone, which is why we are saddled with nothing but dancing, legal or forensic shows. Sad… MOACA was about the only decent left show on TV. And they wonder why they are losing audience share?

• Miffy says:

Moron – they are losing audience share in the this particular case BECAUSE they left the show on. Did you read the part about the 0.4 rating? They gave the damned thing two years – more than it probably deserved, ratings-wise.

• ex-producer says:

Whats moronic… (thx for insult) is that these guys broke the show apart AFTER changing nights. If I didn’t have a DVR I would have never found it. But, oh yes, I forgot, the Execs NEVER do wrong. So glad to be out of that business and not dealing with the egos.

• tvlover44 says:

@ex-producer – word to both of your posts. clearly the scheduling was a nightmare and a major factor in the show’s struggle to find a larger audience. i, like you, was dependent on my dvr to help me keep up with the show, yet it seems that many folks aren’t even taking into account that there is still a large segment of the tv-viewing audience who don’t have a dvr. (maybe 2/3?)

40. James says:

TNT – Please reconsider. Ths was one of the best shows on television. Romano and Bakula were superb; Andre was an incredible suprise. It is my belief that the show was beginning to gain traction. The 3rd season was going to be the trick.

TNT – Please reconsider
    Other Networks – Take advantage if TNT doesnt. This show could be around for a long time. Everyone that I have turned on to the show has become hooked.

Good Luck to the cast and crew of MOACA

41. San says:

Andre Braugher was nominated for an Emmy yesterday for his character!! This sucks!!

42. Ben says:

Sorry for all MOCA fans but that hopefully frees up Scott Bakula for CHUCKs final season in whatever form!

43. Highlander says:

This was TNT’s only prestige series….why do your suits lack the vision to hang with it???

44. Hoomee says:

How can they expect to “build and audience” by splitting the season up and airing it as just 6 episodes at a time? Both times, by the time many people realized the show was airing some episodes, it was gone again.

45. tvlover44 says:

see this link for the astute comments of maureen ryan, over at aol.tv (formerally tvsquad), who was a huge fan (and who advocated for the show to continue):

note there is also an interview with show creator, mike royce, at the end of the piece.

46. kinsmed says:

A good program that had no equal.
    And I don’t ever remember seeing a commercial for it.

47. Terry says:

Probably one of the most disappointing cancellations in the last few years. A good show, for adults, no car chases, no murders, just stories about things that happen to real people. Hope some classier network will pick it up and let it continue.

48. laylagalise says:

It’s incredibly disappointing that TNT cancelled the excellent MOAC, the best program it had on the air (though I do like several of their other series). Romano, Braugher, and Bakula were revelations as their characters and performed their parts subtly and superbly. Just another wonderful show gone before its time. Shame on you, TNT.

49. PFitzDC says:

What a shame. I was just starting to get into this show. The first season was a little uneven, but this one was fantastic.

50. kirads09 says:

I am disheartened. This show was trying to do something I thought was original. It was intelligent and funny. Brilliantly written and acted. In fact, Braugher is nominated for an Emmy if I am not mistaken? So why didn’t it get the ratings to keep it on the air?
    I do hope another network picks it up – this show deserves it.