Fringe Season 4 Teaser: What Does It Mean?

Fox’s first teaser for the fourth — and highly anticipated — season of Fringe is a big ol’ tease, indeed.

Fringe‘s John Noble, Anna Torn and 19 Other Major Emmy Snubs

“There are things happening here that I can’t even begin to explain,” the 10-second clip shows Peter telling Olivia. “And I am not going anywhere until I can.”

Check it out, then read on for more….

Fringe Scoop: Dirty Sexy Grad Michelle Krusiec Joins Cast… But Who Is She Playing?!

Thing is, the scene on display — while thematically relevant to the Season 3 cliffhanger that left us wondering about Peter’s “existence” — is not culled from a fresh episode but from “The Arrival,” the Season 1 entry that gave viewers their first good look at the odd Observers.

After the clip squiggles out (due to “interference”), the screen goes black, save for millisecond flashes of major moments from Fringe lore, leading up and including Peter’s vanishing. The title card meanwhile asks, in backwards type, “Where Is Peter Bishop?”

Fun fact, as many have noted: “The Arrival” was the fourth episode of Fringe‘s first season, while the premiere airing Friday, Sept. 23, at 9/8c, will be the first episode of Season 4. Do you think the show runners/boys in the promo department simply choose the above scene because of how the numbers mirror each other? And what’s your latest theory on “where” Peter went and, more importantly, how he will come back to us?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sarah says:

I’m probably alone on this, but I can’t stand Peter. He treats walter horribly (who makes the show) and he really doesn’t have all much relevance IMO.

• topoopon says:

Are we watching the same show? Peter is Walter’s main caretaker. He got him out of the hospital and without Peter, Walter couldn’t survive. As brilliant as Walter is, he’s forgotten how to take care of himself. All this while juggling the fact that this Walter basically was: a kidnapper.

As far as Peter’s brilliance, his may be a slightly different intellect, but no less intelligent than Walter. Plus, Peter also likes to get in on the action too. Many cases have boiled down to his connections, past experiences, cunning, and ability.

Lastly he provides a romantic outlet for our heroine Olivia. And in the recent season he also provided a romantic outlet for Fauxlivia.

He’s the glue of the series, and now that both universes are joined, he’s the bridge between the universes.

• Jacob says:

Did you accidentally repeat season 1 over and over again, missing their relationship’s development over seasons 2 and 3?

• Rach says:

I agree I dont like Peter either but for different reasons. As far as relevance goes he does have ‘out of the box’ knowledge that without him they wouldnt have been able to solve a case, so he is relevant to the fringe division. What irks me about him is that he has an arrogance about him that just puts me off.

I also think his relationship with Olivia was ruining the show, while I do like shows with relationship dramas Fringe just shouldn’t be one of them, I like sci fi as an outlet where it just concentrates on other aspects (action/paranormal/etc)

With the way he treats Walter… I kind of agree. You can understand why as he was kidnapped, but at the same time Walter saved his life. Its an interesting dynamic.

• Jo says:

Not alone but certainly in the minority of most Fringe fans. As a few other posters have noted — did you not watch the whole series to this point? Peter had his reasons for treating Walter that way he did but part of the shows greatest strengths is watching the Peter/Walter dynamic grow from episode one. There are polls out there that rate the Peter/Walter relationship is one of the best family ones currently on TV. As for Peter’s relevance — we gee considering his kidnapping by Walter from the Alternate Universe is pretty much what set all actions into motion, I would say the character of Peter is quite relevant. In fact, the Observes said as much — which is why this issue of Peter having never existed is such an intriguing one. I don’t think Fringe would be Fringe without all of the characters we’ve met.

• Erin says:

In the episode “Peter” from season 2, we see Peter as a child in the other universe as a child who idolizes his mom. Peter in our universe wanted to give his father his favorite coin before he died. The Peter we know from the other universe wanted to give his mom the coin. I think his feelings for his father were deep rooted before his kidnapping.

• aimee says:

Are you a troll or what?

• Aimee says:

Peter is the very heart of Fringe. It seems some women have issues with the character because he was written arrogantly in Season 1, but being with Walter and Olivia has grounded him. He helped Walter; remember how Walter was freaking when Peter was held hostage by the in S2 because “Peter, always helps me?” Then Peter found out that he was LIED to his entire life! I’d be mad too.

Over Season 3, he became closer to Walter again. Did you miss the finale?! He said to Walter, “No matter, who is at fault, you’re my dad.” And he tried to take blame for destroying the other universe! Yes, that is arrogant *sarcasm* Plus risking your existence to save the love of his life must not have counted with some of you Peter-bashers. Peter has grown to be the most forgiving and humble character on the show.

And I liked the romance between Olivia and Peter, and it hardly took over the show. But the “love triangle” did… didn’t care much for that.

It is my firm belief, that everything goes back to Peter. He is the key to the show. Even JJ Abrams said his story is extraordinary.

Walter does not *make* the show for everyone. For me, and many others, it is Peter/Walter, Peter/Olivia, and Walter/Peter/Olvia that make the show.

• Lu says:

It irks me when viewers go on like or dislike with Fringe characters. Or I like this person better than that one.
      This show has so much complexity that to respond to or reflect on the show with this kind of comment is lacking serious depth and missing the point. Obviously we are all going to connect with some characters and be challenged by others (Alt-via is mine) but the vision of this show is beyond Team Olivia or Team Peter like a Twilight series. The relationship dynamics on this show are so well-written that you can stand on both sides of the line of approval or disapproval and be right & wrong.

• runpaceyrun says:

Seriously Sarah….i think you are just stirring the pot here! Are you just trying to have some fun…make Fringe fans mad? Cos if thats what you were after…well, job done! Success achieved!
      You cant be a Fringe fan because you obviously dont understand the closely interwoven relationships that Fringe has as its core storyline. This is the very reason why i watch Fringe….the father son relationship between Peter and Walter is beautiful, unbreakable and runs very deep! There is nothing like it on tv. Adding Olivia to this unit further adds to the depth of relationships and love. I mean, Walter & Olivia have a special bond as do Peter & Olivia. Have you not noticed that the closer each of these 3 characters has become, the further the storyline has been propelled? This would not have happened if one of these characters didnt ‘have all that much relevance'(your words)
      Sarah…i really feel sorry for you. You just dont get the storyline of Fringe. I mean, the depth of the storyline. If you want to watch fluff and the trashy predictable pulp that is churned out by some networks then please feel free to watch that. But dont watch Fringe….and dont ever call yourself a Fringe fan. There is a reason why this show is critically acclaimed …and has a rabid fan base. You ‘dis’ one of the characters, cast, crew, writers or producers…..and we will eat you alive!

2. Cameron says:

Is it possible that they will go back and briefly show how things played out without Peter there? If thats it, seems like it would take up a ton of time. I dunno, wasn’t really sure what to think of that video.

• Jacob says:

They could pull it off in flashbacks when necessary.

I wouldn’t mind an episode of this, though, as long as the “revisted” episodes were actually part of a relatable arc. We’d need SOME way of knowing how Olivia got Walter and how Fringe Division was saved in season 2, for instance. And Fauxlivia’s kid.

I hope there are at least flashes of things Olivia recognizes as Peter being missing. She is a cortexiphan kid, after all, and the strongest.

• Jacob says:

*revisited scenes, not episodes, as it’d probably be kind of a montage set in an episode arc.

Or the pilot episode sans Peter, but with both sides (and significantly shorter). I’d love to find out how Fauxliv got involved with Fringe Over There. This is probably too risky though.

• bytes says:

anyone out there think that the first man, sam weiss, is the son of fauxlivia and peter? please tell me im not crazy thinking about it

• Cat says:

@bytes: I could see that happening. I wonder, though, if the Sam Weisses are prophets pointing to Peter and Fauxlivia’s baby — of course they could be prophets because they are descendants of him. Time travel shows get very circular and confusing sometimes!

3. Paul says:

Peter has major relevance D:!
    i think you need to rewatch and see how it basicallys all seems to revolve around him right now?

4. Dan says:

If you notice too, when the screen has the “Where is Peter Bishop?”, it’s beside the number 4.

5. Thom says:

i don’t think this has anything to do with the past…it’s in the now and they just used earlier scenes to add to the mystery. Loved how they used the 4 with the Where’s Peter Bishop for their fourth season. Bravo!!!

6. Bojan says:

I think that Peter’s gonna come back with Olivia gradually realizing that there’s something missing. In season 3 she kinda wanted Peter to have recognized that Fauxlivia was an impostor even though she looked exactly like her. Now it’s gonna be Olivia’s test to see if she can bring Peter back despite no one knowing that he even existed.

7. Michael Sacal says:

I wonder if Fringe will do with Peter the kind of thing that Dr. Who did with Donna Noble. That is, will they explore what the world would be like without him, like how certain situations from past episodes might have resolved differently (maybe for the worse) because he wasn’t there to ensure they ended well??

8. Dan says:

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry strange, I’ve literally just finished watching this episode (again) and came on here and saw this post.

9. wembe says:

thinking about fringe makes my head hurt.there are too many posibilities

• forrest says:

I haven’t seriously heard a comment like this since Lost or Doc Jensen’s reviews of Lost. Well Said Wembe! Just summed up another reason why I love Fringe.

10. Angel Heart says:

I wish September 23rd was here already because waiting is making me go crazy. Season 4 better be amazinggg especially since we now have David Fury as a writer/producer.

11. kirads09 says:

Holy Crap. I cannot wait to see how this plays out. I am on edge for the new season already.

12. claire says:

I don’t get why even if half of Peter DNA (through his kid) was enough to trigger the machine, Walternate didnt use his own…

To stay on topic, this teaser is quite teasing :D

• Aimee says:

Well, part of Peter’s DNA came from his mother – Elizabeth. So something about her contribution was needed… But yeah, using the blood from Peter’s son, Henry, still makes me scratch my head.

• claire says:

Yes, you must be right :) It is weird, but honestly what isn’t in that show ! That’s why it’s so great, and it gets better and better with time !

13. Jenn says:

If I were Peter I’d be angry at Walter too, however, I think he’s come to realize how fortunate he was that Walter took him. And this Walter is different now, grateful and more aware of what he has. I love the way all the characters interact with each other. But Peter and Walter’s relationship is my favorite, funny and sad at the same time-realism that keeps the scifi show grounded.

14. Michael Sacal says:

The paradox here is that without Peter there can be no baby, and if the baby doesn’t exist then Walternate can’t activate the machine, and if he doesn’t activate the machine then Walter has no reason to activate his machine… oops, I just went crosseyed.

But, seriously, can anyone answer one question for me?

Did Future Walter create one machine or did he create both machines? If he created both machines, how did he travel from one reality to the other all those millions of years ago?

I’d really, really like to see Fringe explore that plotline further and show us how the First People colonized the past and what they did there… maybe they can crossover with the people from Terra Firma (not really, heh).

• Corinne says:

I can’t answer your questions, out of fear that contemplating the possibilities will cause an a brain aneurysm. However, I don’t think the first people ever really existed. I think that the wormholes were used to place them in various locations throughout the universe, and people who discovered them assumed they were parts of an ancient civilization. But hell, with this show I am baffled so anything is possible.

• Michael Sacal says:

Peter said that the First People where them, that is their future versions.

I’m very curious to know what the size of that operation was like. Did half a dozen people go back in time, or was it thousands of people that went back to take the machines not only to the past of Earth One but also the past of Earth 2?

Did they create duplicate pieces for both machines and some were destroyed and that is why Walternate had to take bits and pieces from Earth One to complete the machine on Earth Two, or did Future Walter deliberately make it so he would have to take pieces from his Earth to build his machine?

While questions like these make Fringe as good as it is, the answers ultimately determine its worth, as if the answers disapoint or are noneexistant then the story becomes an experiment in futility. I’m sure no one wants to see what happened with Lost happen with Fringe.

• John Kidby says:

RE: the “two machines” bit – there’s just the one. The two universes started off as one; the evidence would suggest that they branched off from one another around 1850 or so. The machine was buried long before that, obviously, and as it was present at the point of divergence it remained in both universes. In fact, there should be an effectively infinite number of them; the “red” and “blue” ones are simply the only ones relevant to the story.

Walter explained all this much more elegantly on a chalkboard towards the back end of season 2, if I recall correctly.

• Michael Sacal says:

I have no recollection of that reveal, and I haven’t missed a single episode… then again, it has been awhile since I saw season 2.

15. Ribac says:

Ahem, am I the only one noticing typo about Anna Torv/n in link for Emmy snubs!?

16. Elizabeth says:

I have no idea what it could mean…and I love that I don’t. Bring on the crazy! I’m so ready.

17. Cat says:

Ugh, this show is so great!

18. Erik says:

I don’t know if this was mentioned. I didn’t bother reading all the posts. But has anybody considered the possibility of Peter being an Observer now? He was so important to them and at the end of season three the observers claimed he had “completed his purpose”. Let’s be honest, how many people go through life completing their main purpose for existing? Maybe doing so gets you a spot as an observer. And since the observer known as August died in season 2, it makes room for Peter to now be an observer as well.

19. Anonymous says:

Yeah, that’s a direction the show could go.

I think it would be cool if it turned out all the other observers have also sacrificed themselves in other timelines to try and save both the universes using the machine. So, Peter, Olivia and Walter are only trying to save the universes in one timeline, but there are so many going on at the same time. The Machine turns people into Observers when they make that sacrifice.

Super pumped for Season 4!

20. Veronica says:

I watched “The Arrival” again to try and get some clues for season 4. It is a VERY interesting episode! Here is one quote that jumped out at me =)

Olivia and Peter are questioning Walter, who is in custody because he injected Astrid to buy himself time to hide the cylinder, about where they can find the Observer.

Olivia-Where can we find him?

Walter-You won’t be able to find him

Peter-Well of course not because he’s in the 7th dimension!

When I watched that scene it just tripped me out, could that be a hint? lol I`m also wondering whether Season 4 will bring more details about the Observers, the cylinder, etc, things that I thought were so far from being discussed now (until that episode was used for a preview!)

PS – Can`t believe how many people loathe Peter!!!! lol I really want to know more about him, his life, his mother (on our side) and his sickness! Bell seemed to be quite surprised at his good condition… hmmm

21. fringeobsessed says:

I think Fringe will become one big “White Tulip,”
    and Peter Bishop will become like Dr. Alistair Peck trying to save his girl from death.
    So “give him the keys and save the girl”!