Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Mystery: Who Will Community Cast as the Greendale Gang's New Professor?

School’s out for summer on NBC’s Community, but when Greendale’s elite study group returns for Season 3 come Sept. 22, which class will its members have in common? We got our hands on some casting intel that suggests Joel McHale’s Jeff Winger and his buddies are headed for a crash course in biology — with a brand new professor. The show’s casting department is looking for an African-American male in his late 30s or early 40s to fill the role. He’s said to be an “imposing,” sometimes scary guy who has just been released from jail — but is actually a darn good educator. Here, TVLine provides a few suggestions:

Common | Attention Community casting department: This is your man! In fact, anyone who saw Common score laughs as a corrupt cop opposite Steve Carell and Tina Fey in 2010′s Date Night has to wonder if Community‘s writers were envisioning the musician-turned-actor when they dreamed up this new role.

Idris Elba | He’s been a big bad boss on The Office, so we know he fits in on NBC’s Thursday night lineup. And he’s been a big bad druglord on HBO’s The Wire, so we know he can handle that whole “imposing” character thing. But can he handle going toe-to-toe with the big bad hosts of Troy and Abed in the Morning? Something tells us the answer is yes.

Morris Chestnut | Fresh off his stint as a scaly-skinned Visitor on ABC’s V, Chestnut could use a comedic palate cleanser — perhaps in the Greendale College dining hall.

Djimon Hounsou | That accent alone is enough send shivers up the spines of the Community gang — and make the girls weak in the knees. Added bonus: Perhaps the addition of an Academy Award nominee to the cast will help Community avoid getting snubbed at the 2012 Emmys.

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson | He’s part pro-wrestler, part Tooth Fairy — with a massive physical presence that’d be extra-imposing in a cramped, classroom setting. Plus, dude has more charm in his little (raised) eyebrow than most of us can muster up in a lifetime. Yep, here’s a casting choice who could take some names, kick some ass, and make us laugh.

Eriq La Salle | If ER‘s Dr. Carter can battle aliens over on TNT’s Falling Skies, we can certainly imagine Dr. Benton busting the chops of Greendale’s finest. It’s been years since La Salle’s had a substantial television role — let alone one that requires showcasing that megawatt smile of his — so why not return to the Peacock’s Thursday-night lineup and have some fun again?

Tyra Banks | So, she doesn’t fit the exact casting description (you know, being a lady and all), but who is more imposing — and more of a self-proclaimed “teacher” (um, America’s Next Top Model?!) — than this onetime catwalker? Added bonus: Anyone who follows McHale’s work on The Soup knows he’s got quite the past with Ty-Ty, so seeing these two play off of each other could be comedy gold.

Okay, TVLine readers, it’s your turn. Hit the comments with your suggestions for Community‘s next great professor.

Comments (68)

• I would prefer that Dwyane Johnson (The Rock) was not cast in this role. Not because I don’t like him, but because I’m partial to the idea of him being cast as Shadow in HBO’s American Gods. I know, I know – You think I’m crazy, but I really think he could pull it off. He’s actually a better actor than people give him credit for!

Comment by Erin – July 15, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The thought of Eriq La Salle in ‘Coming to America’ just made me snoff yo!

Comment by Josh – July 15, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ahhhhhh he would be GREAT as shadow!!!!

Comment by sp – July 15, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right?! I mean, he fits the character description perfectly!

Comment by Erin – July 15, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lavar Burton.

Comment by Drea – July 18, 2011 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ludacris

Comment by Matt – July 15, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Clarke Duncan

Comment by M – July 15, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he’s busy with “The Finder”.

Comment by Vixela – July 15, 2011 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • swing for the fences Community go after Dave Chappelle

Comment by ggny – July 15, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chappelle would be pretty amazing, and since they have a lot of comedians hanging around maybe it’s not so far-fetched. But he’s in no way imposing, he’d have to be scary in the Ben Linus way instead.

Comment by el – July 15, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote Eriq LaSalle! It’s always great to see the original ER cast back on TV.

Comment by Eline – July 15, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terry Crews

Comment by B – July 15, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samuel L. Jackson- who else can scare the stuffing out of a class.
    Billy D. Williams- could give Jeff a run for the Smooth operator title.

And a wild card (and one that, excluding the description) that popped into my mind- Jonathan Winters.

Comment by Ross – July 15, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wood Harris?

Comment by rich – July 15, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe a dumb suggestion, but since community is a very meta show, I feel like they should get Danny Glover to play the role. They make the Danny/Donald Glover joke outside of the show alot, so they should incorporate it into the show somehow.

Comment by Jamie – July 15, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THAT IS THE BEST IDEA EVER. EVER!!

Comment by Cecily – July 17, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wendy Williams.

Comment by Ryan – July 15, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isaiah washington

Comment by Joe – July 15, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have you seen Chappelle lately?

Comment by dodo – July 15, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The moment I read the description the one name that popped into my head was Wesley Snipes. The only problem is that they’d have to postpone filming for his episodes until 2013..

Besides Snipes, the best candidate for this role is the newly unemployed Andre Braugher.

Comment by Will – July 15, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Andre Braugher

Comment by Michael Sacal – July 15, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • adewale akinnuoye-agbaje!

Comment by Joe – July 15, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as I read the description, I thought Idris Elba…but what about Tim Meadows? What’s he up to?

Comment by Jess – July 15, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOLed at the Tyra suggestion…totally worth a bit of plot revamp.

Comment by cheryl – July 15, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He might be a few years older than what they have in mind, but I would submit one Chi McBride for consideration.

Comment by Ben P. – July 15, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta say, you guys are makin’ some excellent suggestions. Some of you even said exactly I was thinking.

MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN – “I assume you find me imposing? I was going for imposing” (props to whoever knows what that means)

TERRY CREWS – How awesome would he be? absolutely hilarious. especially if he just got out of jail! he’s on that Ice Cube show though, so who knows…

TOP CHOICE
    *TIM MEADOWS*!!! Spot on! He’d fit right in with all of them. I’m gonna go ahead and guess that they’ll choose him.

Comment by Chuck Bartowski – July 15, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Colt, your name gives it away as if it were enough explosives to put Arnold Schwarzenegger into orbit

Comment by Me – July 15, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TIM MEADOWS! I love it! He would be great!

Comment by Alisa – July 15, 2011 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they want, they could even go with the OLD SPICE guy: Mr. ISAIAH MUSTAFA!

Gosh I hope Dan Harmon is reading these suggestions…

Comment by Chuck Bartowski – July 15, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, wow, great suggestion — I LOVE me some Isaiah Mustafa. <3

Failing that, they should get the guy who played Terry Tate, Office Linebacker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

Comment by MockingbirdGirl – July 15, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree 200% with that suggestion.

Comment by Chris – July 15, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Omg yes yes yes! I can’t unsee it now.

Comment by Sal – July 18, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Yvette Nicole Brown would be wanting this to happen.

Comment by Chuck Me – July 15, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they’re looking for someone who can play wise, yet intimidating, I think those who suggested Michael Clarke Duncan, Samuel Jackson and Danny Glover had the best ideas. May I also add James Earl Jones. Michael Clarke Duncan seems like the one they would have the easiest time getting though.

Comment by Amber – July 15, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta go with Eamonn Walker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamonn_Walker) or (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0907708/).

He may be older in real life, but he definitely plays younger on TV and in Films. The guy has made a living playing “imposing” African-Americans, especially including his most famous role of Kareem Siad, the teacher and leader of the Muslim prison gang on HBO’s OZ.

Checklist:
    - African-American
    - Imposing Presence
    - Previous Experience (both Convict and Inspiring Educator)

Comment by Joe Blow – July 15, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wayne Brady

Comment by Flo – July 15, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A relatively-unknown actor that I think could do well is Charles Parnell. He made quite an impression on me in his episode of FRINGE. He can play good and bad well. If he can do comedy too, then, he’s good. Also FRINGE-related, Andre Royo could do COMMUNITY-like unhinged very well. For sheer intimidation, one can do no wrong by hiring Bill Duke.

Comment by Charles J – July 15, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see Andre Royo do this. He made a magnificent straight man (comedically, anyway) on his episode of Party Down.

Comment by NeedleKind – July 17, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they’re gonna cast a female I’d much rather see Regina King – I love her but I don’t see her enough.
    And I know she can do the funny.

Comment by Mikos – July 15, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought she was on Southland right now.

Comment by Snsetblaze – July 15, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ving Rhames would be a good choice.

Comment by G77 – July 15, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d be all over Dwayne Johnson being on Community. I would laugh my butt off just seeing him there.

I think Tyra’s handlers might maim Joel–plus, I watched her horrific “acting” on Gossip Girl, and Community is just too good for that.

Comment by Christie – July 15, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terry Crews would be AWESOME! Or, perhaps the REAL most interesting man in the world, Isaiah Mustafa. Though if you want imposing, Chiwetel Ejiofor. The Operative, enough said.

Comment by Me – July 15, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chiwetel Ejiofor “The Operative”. Took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MIND. (Did the Alliance get to you?)

He’s too hot for his own good, but man, can he menacing.

Or, if he’s out, Richard Brooks – Jubal Early himself! He does quietly menacing so extremely well. And you know he can spout reams and reams of academic-sounding stuff very convincingly. :) Love him!

Comment by Informantxgirl – July 16, 2011 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I ain’t no gorram purple belly!

Comment by Me – July 16, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I just read that Andre Braugher is now available.

Comment by Snsetblaze – July 15, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wendell Pierce (Dectective Bunk on the Wire), Clark Peters (Detective Lester Freamon on The Wire) or – and most particularly Michael K. Williams who was Omar Little on The Wire.

Comment by Snsetblaze – July 15, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon Wayans Jr. He can do three shows, right?

Comment by Justin – July 15, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is he going to do both of those shows? Is that even possible? They’re both 1/2 hour sitcoms with, I assume, 22 episodes planned.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – July 15, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except that he’s about 10-15 years too young :-) Oh, and he’s only doing Happy Endings, his role on New Girl has been recast for the second episode :-)

Comment by Gretchen – July 15, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about?

My first choice
    Dennis Haysbert
    -he is certainly imposing (see 24)
    -he can do comedy (see Major League)

My second choice
    Harold Perrineau

Comment by Matt – July 15, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tyra Banks?! Lmfao, remember in ‘Mixology Certification’ when Annie mentioned how Troy and Tyra Banks shared a birthday; the second her name left Annie’s mouth Jeff responded with, “UUUUGGGGHHHHH!”. LOL. But yeah, Terry Crews would be pretty ideal. TROY AND ABED IN THE MORRRNINNGGGGGGGGG.

Comment by kaitlyn – July 16, 2011 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DONALD FAISON!

Comment by Mafalda Neto – July 16, 2011 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Turk would be amazing.

Comment by kaitlyn – July 16, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keegan Michael Key

Comment by hello – July 16, 2011 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Allen Grier

Comment by hello – July 16, 2011 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terry Crews

Comment by hello – July 16, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Venus flytrap from WKRP – remember when he explained to us how neutrons using rival gangs? That was magical.

Comment by @teamadam76 – July 16, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really hope it is Idris Elba

Comment by ruby – July 16, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Levar Burton.

Comment by Benjamin Carr – July 16, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it’s because I’ve been watching a lot of Stargate lately, but I immediately thought of Christopher Judge. I’d LOVE to see that, actually!

Comment by Alex – July 17, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Reg E. Cathey? I always found him subtly imposing and terrible as Querns in Oz, plus I can already picture him telling to students “D0n’t f&@k with the professor”.

Comment by D – July 18, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wayne Brady

Or

Jimmie Walker

Comment by C – July 18, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASEEEEEE DO TYRAAAAAAAAA .
    or DANNY GLOVER