Exclusive

Tree Hill Twist: Tyler Hilton Returns As [Spoiler]!

What you may already know: Tyler Hilton will reprise his role of One Tree Hill‘s trouble-making musician, Chris Keller, during the CW series’ upcoming ninth season, as our friends at Zap2it shared over the weekend. But what you don’t know — and only TVLine can exclusively reveal — is that the singer/songwriter is coming back as a series regular.

That’s right, Hill devotees, a studio source tells us that Hilton’s onetime bad boy — who hasn’t shown his face on the CW sudser since Season 4 — has received an out-of-left-field promotion to full-time status. And The Powers That Be aren’t wasting any time getting Chris back in the game: He’ll first resurface in the premiere episode, airing at midseason.

Details surrounding Hilton’s return are being kept tightly under wraps, but we can say that fans should look forward to hearing lots of tunes from the performer throughout OTH’s upcoming run, which has been billed by the network as its “farewell season.”

Our prediction: Chris comes back to town for a quick visit, then decides to stick around. (They always do.) He’s a changed man. He reconciles with both Nathan and Haley. He performs at Tric. He hooks up with someone. (Maybe Mia?) And they all live happily ever after.

Are you happy to see One Tree Hill getting back to some of its roots? What trouble would you like to see Hilton’s character get into?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Corrie says:

WHY?! God I hated him. I love this show, but now I’m pretty glad this is its last season.

2. Jamie says:

It’s irritating that great characters like Deb who deserve closer, seem to be going unmentioned.

3. Alyssa says:

I may actually watch the last season now. As long as it IS the last season. I swear this is the show that just won’t die.

• V says:

LMAO!! Thats how I feel about it too. In my opinion the last season should have been when Lucas and Peyton left.

But I am excited about Tyler coming back! :D

• stacey says:

Haha that’s exactly what I always say! I stopped watching 2 seasons ago…couldn’t take it anymore! It got way to cheesy when they added the kids!

• lorna says:

Agreed. I’m def watching now that Tyler Hilton is back!!! WOOO HOOO. Him and CMM are best friends so its likely CMM will be back. Cut back on the kids though.

• TayMads says:

COMPLETELY agree. I have been saying this ever since they announced they would be a season seven. Season six should have definitely been it’s last. It was the perfect ending for Peyton and Lucas, Nathan and Haley, and Brooke finally getting the perfect guy for her. It was perfect. Seasons seven and eight were pointless. But I might toon in for the final season.

4. sun says:

LMFAO. I love this! The show is SO past it’s glory days, any little thing that could make it feel like the old days is good in my book.

5. Dean says:

As a regular? I didn’t see that one coming. I thought it was just going to be a recurring guest star thing.

6. mandy says:

I LOVE THIS NEWS! I think Tyler is a fantastic singer and am looking forward to the music!

7. cibele says:

I rather have him than new characters like Quinn, Chase and others.

• Hayley says:

Chase isn’t a new character. He’s been around for a long time.

• TayMads says:

Chase is technically a new character. He was only in season 4 and made appearances in seasons 5 &6. He wasn’t made a regular until about season 7. He hasn’t been there since the beginning but in a way he is still kinda new.

• Magically Suspicious says:

I half agree with you. I adore Chase, but Quinn bugs me to no end. She’s so hammy and over-dramatic.

• isnei520 says:

Completely with you. They always make her do things that are supposed to come off cute, but just end up making me super annoyed (e.g., the toaster strudel song)

• Olivia says:

YES! Quinn bugs the crap out of me! Stop calling Clay lovie and baby and sweetie. they are too damn old!

8. Britney says:

Please not Mia. Alex/Chris would be perfect together. Alex is way too cool for useless Chase, so hopefully they drop that storyline and hook Chris/Alex up.

• MIna says:

I agree, I can see those two together!

Mia and Chase are the ones that need to be together. They are better together FOR SURE :)

9. Kaitlan Heaton says:

Ahhhh I just found out today that Chris Keller will be returning to Tree Hill. I am soo excited for his return, as much trouble that he created for one of our favorite Tree Hill couple I am beyond excited to see how the Chris Keller has changed and grown. Tree hill is know for showing the growth of its characters and this being the final season I would not expect anything less. :)

10. Linda says:

They should do everything in their powers to get Chad and Hilarie back to be regulars, eliminate the ones that are useless like Quinn.

Or maybe they should just have Jamie & sister, Lily, Sawyer, and Brooke’s baby as the stars and have it called OTH: The Next Generation

• Joni says:

Haha you’re final comment made me laugh!!
      Anyways I’m glad they are getting back an oldie! I wish Chad and Hilarie would come back for the final season or at least the final episode;

11. peter says:

he’s a hatefull caracter ” not a bad caracter ” he is funny

12. Hali says:

Further proof that this show went on four seasons too long. Too little too late.

13. Sarah says:

bring back Jake, Peyton, Lucas, Karen, Andy, Deb, Dan full time then I’ll be happy (I can dream right??)

• V says:

Heck yes!! It doesn’t even feel like One Tree Hill anymore. I remember when it first started and they said it was about TWO brothers playing basketball…..ummm where is the other brother? They should have retitled the show.

14. Serena says:

I love One Tree HIll and all, but every season since season 6 has seemed like it’s “farewell season”. It’s getting really old now.

HOWEVER, I LOVE Tyler HIlton so I’ll most likely be tuning in!

15. Christina Ogden-Schuette says:

I love One Tree Hill, Chris Keller is a great character and there is a lot about him that we don’t know and I think he actually has a lot of redeeming qualities deep down. It will be nice to see if he can be a better person and what he does as a character now that he is back.

16. abby says:

Uhmm y’all are stupid chris keller is amazing im so happy he’s coming back!!!

17. Kaila says:

I loved Chris Keller! And the carnage he brought to the show! Can’t wait to see what’s gonna unfold…it’s true the show has lost a little edge but hopefully the last season will be a great one!! All we need now is Lucas and Peyton =]

18. Peter says:

Awesome. Can’t wait.

19. kirstin says:

I love Tyler Hilton as a person and performer however when he was on the show the first time he did cause a lot of drama but those were some of the best episodes.. i can’t wait to seee what he brings to OTH personally..

20. Alberto says:

I love this! He is such a funny character!!
    And I hope this is just the first of many comebacks… Leyton, Deb, Karen, Whitey, Jake, Tim&Bevin… Please, OTH, give us an AMAZING season 9….

21. Felicity says:

YES SO HAPPY, something from the old oth <3 tyler hilton I love you.

22. Lisa says:

Im excited to have some familier faces back in the show. Why is “chris keller” back? Who knows, but im sure thar mark, joe & greg arent going to let us down. As for people that think the show is past its “glory days”, you must not have been a fan to begin with, because as a true fan of this show, you would want the show to continue & prosper. I believe that all good things come to an end, but theres still SO much life left in this show. Not just for the orginial characters but what about the younger generation? Jamie, chuck, madison, etc? Dont you think that they should be able to shine some light on our younger generation? Have them give the younger generation the same hope that the orginial generation gave us?

Anyway, thanks to all the writiers & directors that have decided to bring “chris keller back” and if this is the “farewell season” then in the words of chris “chris kellers work here is finally done” :)

• lorna says:

um i was a true fan, but this show is beyond its glory days. sorry that some of us have grown up and matured beyond the silliness of s7 and s8.

23. Lisa says:

24. shanice says:

I love chris keller and I’m so happy they are bringing him back. I was actually wishing that he’d be back for the last season

25. Lauren says:

If Chris and Mia hooked up, I WOULD DIE. OMG. That would be my dream come true!!!! I’m a huge fan of both Kate and Tyler and I’ve met them both (Kate actually knows me) and that would basically be the greatest thing ever! ha.

26. Miffy says:

Who really watches this show? Losers, I suppose. And fat people.

• tripoli says:

And clearly idiots like you who feel the need to read the article and comment.

• Jason says:

That’s the closest I’ve ever come to literally spitting coffee thru my nose and onto my computer. Funniest comment ever, Miffy.

27. sarah says:

i was hoping chad would come back=(

• kat says:

I thought Chad said he would if they wanted him. Not like indefinitely or anything, but for the very end. White Collar is filming now, so that might be a problem for Hilarie, who hasn’t really weighed in. As for Tyler, why he is coming back, I am guessing Chris Keller ain’t telling.

I totally did not recognize him on Single Ladies even after I read he was on there.

28. Samantha says:

I think the fact that OTH keeps coming back for more seasons should be proof enough to you guys that this is one LOVED show!! and its the fans that keep bring it back with all their petitions so please stop with the hate comments, nobody cares if you hate it!!! show some respect to one of the best made tv shows this world has ever had!!! As for Chris coming back I couldnt be happier, with the finale season we need some old face back but how about bring al the others to, Bevin, Tim, Rachel, Sam, Deb, Dan, Karen, Andy, Lily, Whitey and even Luke and Peyton with baby Sawyer and maybe a new baby to, hey how about bring Taylor back to!! Also please let Millie and Mouth marry or have a kid!!!! oh and leave Alex and Chase together, they sooooooo cute!!!!

29. Lisa says:

I love chris Keller! He’s freaking hilarious… So sexy and talented!

30. Allie Beech says:

How can all you people be happy that this is the final season?!?! I seriously might die without One Tree Hill…. But I’m excites about “Chris Keller” coming back makes me remeber the good old days. But I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Peyton and Lucas again.

31. gus says:

I think it may be fun to see Chris return. He’s been mentioned practically every season since season 4. But, I hope with his return, and many awaiting Leyton’s (hopefully this will happen) return, they find a way to bring back characters who actually need to return like Rachel. It’s the final season and everyone should have closure.

32. Angi says:

Yes!!!! I love Tyler his music is fantastic as well as his acting I love Chris Keller he was one of my favourites always made me laugh I know it says he’s a changed character but please leave him some of his cheekiness. Please Chad and Hilarie come back too.

33. Melissa says:

I admit that after Peyton and Lucas left, I only watched a few following episodes and then I was done. I lost interest. Too many new characters and the drama was too unbelievable. Now that Tyler Hilton is coming back, I’m definately giving the new (and final ?) season a shot. I’m excited for Tyler’s return! He’s an amazing song writer and performer. Excited for the upcoming season! :)

34. midesmiles says:

its ok 4tyler 2cm back buh i ope he doesnt cause 2much drama 4d favorite couples in tree…….buh its gonna b leyton 4lyf,pls bring dm bk……lol OTH

35. midesmiles says:

pls do all u cn 2bring lucas et peyton bk.OTH cnt end witout dm……plssssssss….

36. Tommy says:

I was so excited for the upcoming final season, but I honestly hate his character so much I’m not even sure I’ll be watching it anymore. He reruned the third season of the series for me and thought he was long gone.

Why not bring back characters that the fans actually like?

37. Ramanda says:

Funny how all of a sudden people are deciding to watch the show again, now that this idiot is coming back. The show has had its up and downs, but I never stopped watching.

38. Lisa says:

My favorite show is OTH. I am so happy that Chris Keller is back.

39. Janelle says:

So glad he’s coming back. Maybe he can stir up some trouble, cause Tree Hill is boring. I barely watched last season. And I would NEVER watch a Next Gen. The show died when Lucas and Peyton left (as awesome as Brooke is). Let it end already!

40. wooster182 says:

Damnit. Just when I thought I had finally quit this show (two years ago), they pull me right back in. I can’t ignore Chris Keller!

41. Natasha says:

couldnt they make season 10 the last ? oh.em.gee i love this how so much, but i lloved peyton and lucas more, yous gotta bring em back, oh and rachael, she was a cracker. :)

42. Adam says:

Delighted with Chris Keller returning, get Dan, Lucas and Peyton back and bring Deb in, one last return from Karen and round the show off nicely please.

43. Kristen says:

I can’t wait! I love Tyler Hilton and you are supposed to not like Chris Keller that was the whole point of his character on the show. To not like him and like Nathan, which everyone did. I loved his sarcasm so I am really excited to see him back on OTH!

44. Taylor says:

I LOVE that they’re bringing Tyler back on the show. I’m looking forward to hearing his music! Now, it would be perfectly PERFECT if they could get Chad and Hilarie back for at least one episode.

45. Jaclynn says:

im so excited to hear tyler hilton will be back on the show i love him hes amazing

46. Tara says:

Idk where I read this, but I read somewhere that when he comes back, he’s gonna have a gun in his hand. Suicide attempt? Then tree hill gives him something to live for? Idk if it’s true or not though. Just what I read.

47. nuria says:

cooooool!!!

48. Aakdfjdslk says:

Soooo glad Tyler is coming back! Love love love love love him! Took me awhile to get used to his character but once I did, I was sad to see him go. Went to see him in concert though and going again August 29th in NY! Haha. :) I’m sorry for all those who don’t like him though! :/ And I agree that there are other characters who should be more involved but have kind of faded away throughout the seasons but hey, that’s t.v I guess. All I know is that I can’t wait to see how this season pans out. :D

49. ell says:

Love Chris, just bring back a few more of the oldies. Even for just one or two episodes. Leave Tree Hill with the Characters who’s home it truly is. Give us a good season 9. I want to remember it.

50. Lesley says:

I absolutley LOVE Chris Keller Om(FREAKIN)G This last season will own all the other ones!!!! Yay THis just made my day!!