Emmys

Emmy Nominations: My Snappy Judgments

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The nods for Friday Night Lights‘ Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton — and finally the show itself!
* Parks and Recreation up for best comedy series.
* All the Justified love, including nods for Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Margo Martindale and Jeremy Davies.
* Martha Plimpton snagging a lead actress nod for Raising Hope.
* Ed O’Neill finally getting a Modern Family nod.
* Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki snagging lead actor nods for The Big Bang Theory. Plus, the show itself squeaks into the best comedy race!
* The Good Wife‘s rockin’ female trio (Julianna Margulies, Archie Panjabi, and Christine Baranski) all making the cut again.
* Michelle Forbes’ supporting nod for The Killing. Ditto Mireille Enos for lead actress.
* Glee‘s stellar guest stars — Gwyneth Paltrow, Kristin Chenoweth and Dot Marie Jones — all making the cut.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Two words:
Kathy. Bates. Love her, but no.
* Two more words: The Kennedys.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* Emmy flunking Community.
Again.
* No love for Cougar Town.
* The absence of Fringe‘s Anna Torv and John Noble.
* Southland getting bubkes.
* Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting screwed.
 Again.
* Diddlysquat for Parks and Recreation‘s stellar supporting cast, particularly Nick Offerman.
* No major nods for The Walking Dead.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Emmys, News

1. Colleen says:

I know Harry’s Law has never been a critic darling, but I am glad to see Kathy be recognized for her work on the show!

2. Lauren says:

I don’t know why I still bother with the Emmys, they make me so angry!! Last year the complete lack of recognition for Community, and this year – COME ON!!!! DENIS O’HARE GAVE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR!!!! And Anna Torv, John Noble, Joel McHale, Alison Brie, Danny Pudi getting snubbed!! Ridiculous. And no Lea Michele for Glee, either. She is the only thing that keeps me watching that show, she is amazing in it. Can’t believe Community didn’t get nominated for Best Comedy, it is better than all of the others bar Parks and Rec. I constantly toss up each week which one I will watch first, they are both outstanding. TVLine needs to have their own awards where talent is actually recognized.

• hmmmmmmm says:

Seriously agree with Denis O’Hare being more deserving for a guest actor nom.

• Lisa says:

Completely agree! Emmys need a few scifi / fantasy awards! Quit snubbing the genre! I wont be tuning in to the show… O’Hare was stunning! Nobel & torv snubs are crazy! Pleased about dinklage & got, but look who they’re against…
        Done with emmy…

3. Leah says:

Kathy Bates & Mariska Hargitay??? Really?? And Lauren Graham was snubbed once again… I wish Parenthood would have some recognition after their beautiful second season (the whole cast is amazing).
    At least Friday Night Lights & Parks & Recs got some love and Glee not that much(especially Matthew Morrison)

4. l says:

No love for LAUREN GRAHAM or Parenthood!?

5. EllenDa says:

No Nathan Fillion & Stana Katic??!

• MCO says:

I am talking as a Castle fan here. And seeing who get snub and who are nominated, the omission of Nathan and Stana (or anything about Castle) while being excellent, aren’t that surprising nor upsetting.
      Same goes for Lisa Edelstein or Bones. Great shows, actress, actors, but there’s a competition and some are even better than them.
      That’s upsetting me, it’s that everything goes to the same shows…And some doesn’t deserve this. I love Glee, but an Emmy nod this year ? NO WAY.

6. Cortexifan says:

I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER USE THIS TERM BUT… WTF – NO FRINGE, ANNA TORV OR JOHN NOBLE.
    Fringe is also a Drama and should not be ignored.
    To the cast and crew of Fringe: The fans love you and would give you all the awards that are out there. Keep up the good work!

7. Adrian says:

Friday Night Lights love hell ya!! Finally!!!!!!

8. Brando says:

Best Drama: Boardwalk Empire
    Best Actor: Steve Buscemi
    Best Actress: Kathy Bates
    Best Supporting Actor: Andrew Braugher
    Best Supporting Actress: Kelly Macdonald

Best Comedy: Modern Family
    Best Actor: Steve Carrell
    Best Actress: Martha Plimpton
    Best Supporting Actor: Jesse Tyler Ferguson
    Best Supporting Actress: Sofia Vergara

9. jason says:

Ed o Neil *finally* getting one? Love the guy but there was only 1 year he was left out, unless yore referring to the years he was snubbed as Al.

Smh at Julie Chen and Cougar Town be snubbed =(

10. s says:

NPH had a fantastic year on HIMYM this year, he really deserved a nomination. Enough with freaking John Cyer already, he’s so one-dimensional.

Also, Sean Bean on GoT was amazing, he was robbed too.

Hopefully Connie and Kyle finally get the recognition they deserve.

• dudaynibarney says:

yeah ! it really pissed me off .. i am really disappointed with NPH not having a nomination for all his talents and work at HIMYM //

11. tony says:

I was really hoping for a Lauren Graham nomination for Parenthood, even though I knew it was a long shot.

12. Corrinne says:

Finally, Cat Deely is nominated!!!

13. Gt says:

Thought Brothers and Sisters was excellent this year and Sally Fields was amazing and overlooked. Too much Modern Family no prob with it but 4 noms ppl comeon! Friday Night Lights yes! The Kennedys really? Tried to watch couldn’t not Emmy nom worth. Glee is popular but overrated IMO. Glad to see the Good Wife again and Melissa McCartney has been excellent since the Gilmore Girls way to go!

14. jennifer says:

I definitely don’t think that Kristin Chenoweth or Gwyneth Paltrow should get an Emmy nod for Glee – Dot Marie Jones, YES! and while i love Chris Colfer – where is the Lea Michele love? or even focusing on other characters of the show for Emmy nods.

Ecstatic that The Good Wife and The Big Bang Theory have gotten major Emmy love. Those two shows deserve it.

A Community/Cougartown nom woulda been nice.

15. Michelle says:

Wait, Michael makes snappy judgements?

16. FC says:

I’m really ticked not to see Parenthood nominated for anything – it’s one of the best shows on TV. The acting and writing are both fabulous. Ugh – isn’t anyone watching it??

17. A says:

Katey Sagal is the biggest let down! She is awesome on SOA. I am excited about the love for Justified and Game of Thrones.

18. BadThings says:

Why can’t there be a sci-fi/fantasy genre category? That way shows like Fringe, The Walking Dead, Warehouse 13, True Blood and other awesome shows can compete. That category gets so overlooked. I’m glad to see Thrones get some nods, but I bet they don’t win any.

19. Shaia says:

I’m Super-Pissed About: The Mentalist getting completely screwed. =(

20. Mike says:

What about the major snub for Timothy Dalton as guest actor on Chuck?

21. CAM says:

Hurray! – Cat Deely and SYTYCD, Friday Night Lights, Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton.

What’s missing – Some love for Blue Bloods and Parenthood and their stellar casts.

22. Taryn says:

WHAT NO FRINGE! WTF!

23. mkr63 says:

So happy for all the actors from Justified. Wish the show had been nominated, but not sorry to see Friday Night Lights in a slot, finally! If TO or Kyle Chandler can steal the Emmy away from Jon Hamm I will be one very happy fangirl.

24. mrsb918 says:

Bummed Busy Phillips didn’t make the cut. It would be nice to have some new blood in this category. It’s basically the same as last year, and Betty White? Really? On the positive side, so happy for Friday Night Lights!!

25. Kay says:

I’m stunned at the lack of noms for John Noble, Anna Torv and Fringe. Especially about Noble. The bias shows very badly there.

I’m happy about the noms for Game of Thrones, but I was expecting many more acting noms. I hope they come with future seasons, including for the stunning child actors. However, Sean Bean was robbed this year. I mean Hugh Laurie instead of Sean Bean? ::rolls eyes::

26. aussiechuckster says:

I cannot believe that time and time again, John Noble is looked over…he is brilliant!

27. Mick says:

- They should switch out Jon Cryer for Jason Segel.

– John Noble not getting nominated is a crime.

– The Emmy’s hate Courtney Cox for some reason. Never giving her a single nomination. Not for Cougar Town. Not for Friends.

– Joel McHale should have gotten Matt LeBlancs spot.

– The supporting actress in a drama category is dead on.

– All four Modern Family guys nominated was very much deserved.

– Alfre Woodard getting nod for True Blood was a happy surprise.

28. Katy says:

I cannot believe Nick Offerman and Community got nominated for absolutely nothing. Are the Emmy people not watching TV or something?

29. Nick says:

Hey Michael,

Next year instead of all those silly “For Your Consideration” banner ads for the shows that always get nominated, how about you do one that just says “Hey Emmy Voters, Sci-Fi Shows Are Real Television, Too”, with pics of John Noble, Anna Torv, and other people who never got recognized.

30. gremel says:

Happy for:
    Parks and Rec
    Justified
    Game of thrones
    Glee guest stars (the only thing worthy this season)

Unhappy for:
    House was bad this year
    Glee was horrible this year
    Did they have to nominate everyone from Modern Family?
    What is their problem with Community? No, seriously?
    I’m not a big fan of Fringe but Noble should have been nominated

31. Lambsilencer says:

Love the nominations for FNL and Justified, especially Margo Martindale, who was stunning in that role.
    But I would have loved to see Kaytlin Dever getting nominated, too. She was equally awesome.

And speaking of child nominations:

Kiernan Shipka for “Mad Men” – that would have been a given, if I had something to say about it.

32. Riz says:

YAY for Cat Deeley and for Connine Britton/Klye Chandler/FNL! YAY!

33. Monie says:

Mostly dull, boring, unworthy choices and am angry about Anna Torv, John Noble, Charles Dance (guest star drama), Katey Segal, Garret Dillahunt, Community supporting cast, and the constant praise toward John Cryer and the Glee cast.

Back to my cellar until next year.

34. Elizabeth says:

Very upset Community was snubbed! Much more deserving than Glee!!!

Also, four noms for Modern Family in supporting actor = yuck.
    Nick Offerman deserved it over the majority of them!! Boo.

35. Bill says:

Southland and Parenthood got absolutely screwed. Meanwhile we have same old names… Baldwin, Fey, Falco, Laurie. All very good, but lets get some new blood in there. Kathy Bates? Seriously? Good actress, terrible show. Show’s that bad shouldn’t get rewarded.

36. Steve T says:

Kudos to Peter Dinklage for his nomination. But how could they leave out Emilia Clarke. Her performance got better and better each week and culminated in an outstanding performance in the season finale.

37. maria says:

Ok, i can “understand” the lack of Emily Descanel
    and Anna Torv, because they are obviously blind and
    don’t appreciate women’s acting skills.

But to ignore John Noble, AGAIN is pure blasphemy!
    Mr Noble didn’t just deserved a nomination, he 100%
    deserved the Emmy!

38. KJ says:

Sean Beam from Games of Thrones…enough said…

39. Denver says:

FINALLY CAT DEELY gets her nomination. FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!

40. D. says:

Completely agree…the Emmys totally suck
    Where is freaking NCIS or Bones two shows that are actually worth watching. Seriously WTF who watches Boardwalk Empire? And Kyra Sedgwick? She does a fantastic job AND she freakin won last year!! The Emmys are such a joke I’m not even going to bother watching. It’s the same unfairness people and terrible shows every year.

41. Yo says:

I am a woman. I loathe Cougartown, and you can start with the name. I mean, really, would a man vote for male characters that stereotypical, one dimensional and insipid?

42. Leslie says:

Yay for Peter Dinklage, but no John Noble or Emmy Rossum (or Shameless in general)? Sucks!!!

43. Dennis Dziadowicz says:

Garret Dilahunt should have been nominated.

44. Annie says:

So frustrated about the lack of nomination for Joel Kinnaman – his performance in The Killing was absolutely stellar!! He was the best part of the show. I personally through that he was even better than Michelle Forbes and that’s saying something.

45. Annie says:

Whoops – I meant to write “thought” of course…

46. AUST says:

Kadee Strickland deserved a nod. I don’t really watch or care for PP but she did a brilliant job this season. No nods for HIMYM and Cougar Town is a shame. NPH, Jason Segel, Busy Phillips would have deserved it. Glee again for best comedy *rolleyes*.

47. Katrina says:

True Blood wasnt nomminated for anything besides guest actress! wtf! So sick of these dumb shows getting nods! Who watches the emmys anyways.

48. TIffany says:

I’m not happy about Shameless getting snubbed for best Drama or that William H. Macy and Emmy Rossum were snubbed for there work as well! This was one of the best new shows of the season and it got no love except for Joan Cusacks guest spot – which IS well deserved!

49. Drw says:

Outrage over the complete snub of Courtney Cox, yet AGAIN!

50. Drw says:

Outrage over the complete snub of Courtney Cox, yet AGAIN!

I also think Emily Deschanel deserved a nod from this season of Bones, and it annoys me that HIMYM got none of the main nominations for comedy series, when 30 Rock or Modern Family get 4 or 5 in each category! Way to make it more boring…