Emmys

Emmy Nominations: My Snappy Judgments

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* The nods for Friday Night Lights‘ Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton — and finally the show itself!
* Parks and Recreation up for best comedy series.
* All the Justified love, including nods for Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Margo Martindale and Jeremy Davies.
* Martha Plimpton snagging a lead actress nod for Raising Hope.
* Ed O’Neill finally getting a Modern Family nod.
* Jim Parsons and Johnny Galecki snagging lead actor nods for The Big Bang Theory. Plus, the show itself squeaks into the best comedy race!
* The Good Wife‘s rockin’ female trio (Julianna Margulies, Archie Panjabi, and Christine Baranski) all making the cut again.
* Michelle Forbes’ supporting nod for The Killing. Ditto Mireille Enos for lead actress.
* Glee‘s stellar guest stars — Gwyneth Paltrow, Kristin Chenoweth and Dot Marie Jones — all making the cut.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Two words:
Kathy. Bates. Love her, but no.
* Two more words: The Kennedys.

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* Emmy flunking Community.
Again.
* No love for Cougar Town.
* The absence of Fringe‘s Anna Torv and John Noble.
* Southland getting bubkes.
* Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting screwed.
 Again.
* Diddlysquat for Parks and Recreation‘s stellar supporting cast, particularly Nick Offerman.
* No major nods for The Walking Dead.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Emmys, News

1. Polly says:

Another year passes without an emmy for Neil Patrick Harris.
    I’m so sad. So very very sad.

• Dave says:

I agree. It’s a travesty. I don’t expect NPH will get an Emmy for HIMYM until it ends in May 2013.

• Ellen says:

NPH will probably not be nominated again for HIMYM. Since he was not nominated this year, they tend not to be nominated again. I think it’s unfair. He should have had an Emmy for Barney a long time ago.

When a Hetro play gay they are almost always recognized, but when a gay play Hetro. They are ignored!! what is wrong with them? what must he do to get the damn Emmy??

• ScrubsGuy says:

What about Jason Segel? He’s been AMAZING this year. NPH is fantastic, but acting-wise, I think JS hit it out of the park this season. The great thing about HIMYM is that they’ve given every cast member the chance to shine over the past 6 years, and to not recognize JS for this year is like a kick in the balls (not that it wasn’t for previous years either).

Also, not a SINGLE nod for Fringe and Community. Emmy – you’ve lost all credibility.

• Rock Golf says:

Gays have been playing heteros forever. Rock Hudson, James Dean, Charles Laughton, Danny Kaye…

• Brock says:

Worse than that…..Why no nominees for “Mother” at all??

• PJM says:

Nothing against NPH, but HIMYM didn’t deserve any nods this year. Perhaps they deserved them more than they did for season 5, but the show just fell off the cliff at the end of this season. The Zoey storyline really screwed the show up.

• Shannon says:

Ok I completely agree that the Zooey storeline sucked but you can’t ignore the amazing performance by Jason Segal when his father died. Also, the growth Barney’s character had as a person when he met his dad and started thinking about having a relationship that lasted more than a couple months. I thought this season (with the exception of Zooey) was one of the best HIMYM seasons in a couple years. I was excited again every Monday to see a new episode which I hadn’t felt at all during Season 5.

• Kim R says:

Okay…IMHO…I think they should have a separate category for the HBO/Showtime programs. I miss the days when it was only network TV shows vying against each other. The networks have more rules to abide by & I don’t think it is fair to put them up against productions that have so much more freedom. NPH should be nominated & up against actors on other network sitcoms. Apples with apples…oranges with oranges people! :)

• Tiffany says:

co-sign. Cable shows, especially HBO/Showtime have a competitive advantage over network shows. They should separate them out.

• KevyB says:

That’s crap! Having the ability to show nudity and have lots of cussing does not mean HBO and Showtime have an advantage. There’s no way True Blood could ever appear on network television as is, but that doesn’t mean it’s better than The Good Wife or The Chicago Code. By that definition, it’s not fair for basic cable to have to compete against network since the networks spend so much more on their shows than cable can. Pay cable puts on better shows because they nurture their shows, the writing talent and they take chances. Networks, for the most part, don’t.

• JD says:

Well, a long time ago their used to be a whole seperate awards show…The Cable Ace Awards went away in the late 90’s after the Emmy’s finally had started recognizing original cable programming. I think the Emmy’s should take a page from the BAFTA’s – In England they have seperate awards for Serial Drama (shows that last about 3-13 episodes per season and have a storyline that continues from week to week – which is mostly the cable dramas here in US), and one for Continuing Drama (these shows must have at least 20 episodes per season and be comprised of mainly self-contained storylines – mainly what is on US network TV). They also seperate Comedy Program from Situation Comedy and give two seperate awards in those categories as well.

• Amalthea says:

ITA with you!! There should be an entire separate emmy awards just for cable shows! This way more shows, both cable & network CAN get nominated!! If they want to give cable recognition, then give it to them, on their terms!!

They are different than network, so treat them that way!!

• phantom says:

I don’t get how he could get overlooked every single year, he is not only the best thing on How I met your mother, but he IS one of the most hilarious scene-stealers on TV all together.

Having said that, I AM extremely happy for Michelle Forbes who gave probably THE best female performance on TV this year. I am also glad Mireille Enos made the cut AND that they REALLY went for my two favourites, The Good Wife (Margulies, Panjabi, Baranski, Charles, Cumming all made it!) and Modern Family (all 6 grown-ups made the cut, yay!).

• Philip says:

Neil Patrick Harris does have an Emmy. He won a Guest Actor Award last year for Glee!

• claudia says:

I agree with you… why NPH wasn’t been nominated after all???

• Rahma says:

Yes.. I was surprised that I didn’t found Neil Patrick Harris’s name on the Emmy 2011 nomination list. Barney just so hilarious.

2. Iulya says:

Criminal Minds and Paget Brewster deserved at least a nomination !!

• sandra says:

Completely agree

• Kim says:

I disagree. I’m huge Criminal Minds fan, but season six was really not that good. The Prentiss plot was alright, but it could have been so much better. So I’m not surprised.

• Vincent H. says:

Why is that? They should be honored for their worst season yet? Did u even watch the second half of the season? The way they wrote Prentiss off the show was TERRIBLE, Lazy, and stupid. Brewster was good as always but I am a hardcore CM fan since the pilot and season 6 was the weakest season yet. If anything they deserved a nomination for seasons 2 or 3

• Somebody says:

Definately- she really does… I mean DID >:(

3. Michele says:

Fringe is one of the best shows on tv and they get nothing. Emmy’s suck

• Kristy says:

I know the Emmys typically don’t reward amazing sci-fi shows (*cough*Battlestar Galactica*cough*) but I really thought John Noble had a shot this year :(

• Lisa says:

I completely agree! BSG, True Blood, how about an effects nom for caprica? I guess the shows I enjoy just don’t rank… they should have a scifi /fantasy Emmy awards show! Now THAT awards show I would watch!

• Kristy says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of a sci-fi/fantasy award show! Or maybe at least a category…the lack of sci-fi/fantasy noms when it has some of (if not THE) best acting/directing/writing on television is just horrible!

• Lisa says:

Absolutely! And the genre is so popular! Plus, its not like there is a shortage of programming to choose from! They have a category for reality shows, why not scifi/fantasy? I’m not gonna knock the majority of shows that did get noms, truth is, many of them I don’t watch! Seems to me its about time the television academy starts taking this genre serious! I have a huge family and kids…like I wanna sit down and watch shows like that?
            In another off topic vein- glee’s at comiccon? Wth?

• Smidnite says:

Sci-Fi/Fantasy should be given a seperate catagory.

• Keira says:

I agree! True Blood, Fringe, Supernatural, BSG, …etc all these shows are worthy of a nomination and yet they are always ignored. Some of the best stories and one-liners come from these shows. I’d watch a Sci-Fi/Fantasy awards show. There are the Scream Awards but I think there should be an additional category added to the Emmy’s to give these shows the proper credit they deserve. Plus…the actors of these shows are amazing! They are appreciative of their fans and it would be nice for them to finally get some recognition!

• Karen says:

This gets me pissed beyond words. And NO JOHN NOBLE!!!! He freaking deserves 2356 of those statues!

• Amy says:

Fringe should have definitely been nominated. John Noble, Ana Torv. Sound for Glee – seriously – such a walk and talk show in comparison to Fringe and let’s add Supernatural and even NCIS.

4. Ceecile says:

No John Noble! But Happy for Josh Charles, Alan Cumming and PETER DINKLAGE!
    No Community but Glee is nominated? … -_-‘

• Emma says:

I agree completely! Happy for Charles, Cumming, and Dinklage, but no Noble or Community? Makes me so frustrated.

5. Kristy says:

No John Noble…it’s just WRONG! :(

• guest says:

No Anna Torv is what really is wrong.

Anna Torv too good, it scared the Emmy voters?
      I hope the actresses nominated realise that they are only there because the rightful winner has been tricked out of the race.

6. Rachel says:

Where’s Community?

7. Tonya says:

Katey Sagal’s ommission hurts every time. SOA deserves more love.

• alr says:

I completely agree! Passing over Katey Segal for Kathy Bates was just wrong!

• Smidnite says:

While I agree that Katey should have gotten the nod, Kathy Bates deserves to be there more than Connie Britton.

• Kristy says:

Couldn’t agree with you more. Katey Sagal is amazing…and Kathy Bates REALLY????

• kiki says:

I was in shock about Katey Segal not making the Emmys…She is a fantastic actress….Sons of Anarchy is tv at its best…And what about the magnificant writing of Kurt Sutter…..as usual, it is just a popularity contest!!!

8. Ritz says:

Nothing for Bones, ouch.

• Mike says:

Second that for Emily Deschanel. One of her best seasons between Doctor in the Photo and Change in the game. A versatility of an actor with her makes Bones a believable character.

• Karen says:

Totally agree. The Doctor in the Photo was one of Emily Deschanel’s best performances on the show. David Boreanaz also had one of his best in The Daredevil in the Mold. After 6 seasons Bones deserves some Emmy love. Very disappointed.

9. Rebecca says:

I have to say, having FOUR of the cast of Modern Family nominated for best supporting actor is terrible. I mean really? Jason Segel had a really good year on HIMYM and deserved a nomination. NPH had a very good back end of the season too.

10. Chris says:

No love for John Noble or Denis O’Hare???

11. MV says:

Once again, no love for Community :(
    I don’t want to rag on Glee but it’s the only one of the best comedy noms that just DOES NOT belong there. A) I wouldn’t categorize it as a comedy and B) this season (yes, I watched) was just terrible and sloppy.

• Kristy says:

What bothers me with Glee being nominated for Best Comedy is the moments when the show shines are its dramatic scenes (ie Kurt bullying storyline, Santana struggling with her sexuality, Coach Beiste, etc)…the comedy never has been or will be on par with other comedies out there.

• MV says:

PREACH!
        And even at its best (re: dramatic arcs), it still pales in comparison with a lot of shows. Where it comes to the comedy cat, it irks me that it took the spot for an actual show that is deserving (in my opinion Community but really ANY other actual comedy show would deserve that spot more than Glee)

• L.A. says:

So agreed!
          I watch Glee, and i have to say, this nom is not fair. period. I mean, Chris Colfer getting a nom, fine, but Glee getting nominated is just not fair to so many great shows out there.
          Honestly it took me a lot of willpower to get through this season. It was like nothing made sense, everything was just a bunch of ideas thrown randomly in the script (if they still have one).

Now seriously, no John Noble? Nothing for Anna Torv, Emily Deschanel and Katey Segal? And they put Kathy Bates? Are they effing kidding me? And i’m not gonna mention Jon Cryer’s nomination, because seriously, i am revolted enough already. NPH ♥

12. Margo says:

Where’s the NPH love?? He more than deserves an Emmy as does HIMYM! I’m very glad to see Johnny Galecki finally getting nominated, although I would love to see Steve Carell get his way-overdue award for his portrayal of Michael Scott!!

13. Fred says:

NOTHING for Community wipes out any positives. Epic fail by the academy.

14. Jake says:

Love the comedy nominations, hate the drama nominations …

15. Tybois says:

Another year and still NOTHING for NCIS. It is either #1 or #2 (sometimes 3 if AI and DWTS are on) show of the week and still no Emmy noms for anyone on that show, from the actors to the writing staff. Nothing. Ponderous, man.

• Nancy says:

@Tybois: Gosh, I am so used to not seeing them nominated that I didn’t even notice it until I read yr post. “Ponderous”–indeed!

• Julie says:

I completely agree! I’ve been a big fan from the beginning and the actors improve every year! (Not to mention the writing). One of the best shows on TV gets no love!

16. Bob Smith says:

Yeah for:

Cat Deely
    Margo Martindale

Boo for:

Emmy Rossum
    Shameless

17. lostie48 says:

How come no one is talking about the Emmys totally snubbing Nick Offerman from Parks and Recreation!!!!!

• Jen says:

Travesty!

• Brock says:

That show is a gem. Nick Offerman deserved one of the Modern Family slots….I mean, four for Modern Family? Come on…

• MV says:

Oh I’m getting there :)
      Not only was he snubbed but ALL supporting P&R cast got the shaft. Unjust!
      But yay for Amy Poehler! I really feel it’s her year — of course, I thought Community was going to get recognized…

• JD says:

AGREE. I get that Modern Family is a good show, but to take up almost the entire category? And John Cryer, seriously? I know a lot of people watch Two and a Half Men but it really is a terrible show. Nick Offerman should have been in there, no question.

• Amy says:

I think Jon Cryer’s nomination was more of a “congratulations on surviving several years with Charlie Sheen” thing. Which is still not what the awards are supposed to be, but you get my drift.

• john says:

I’m bummed too, but the show now has Emmy-momentum on its side. Amy last year, now the show itself is nominated, I have a feeling that if they keep the quality high, next year could really be his year.

18. Pete says:

WTH Emmys? No love for Cougar Town at all?
    And don’t get me started on Jane Lynch for Best Supporting Actress – she’s done nothing noteworthy this year. Naya Rivera deserved a nomination ahead of her.

• Reena says:

Completely agree I love Glee but this past season has been a dissapointment really didnt think Lynch deserved it but I guess since she is hosting it this year they did it? I also really annoyed about Southland getting NO LOVE! it is one of the best shows on tv right now great writing great actors/actresses and yet nothing. I feel like this is more of a popularity contest than actually giving credit where it is due

• reena says:

before the grammar police get me….i did mean to type IM ALSO…not I ALSO…lol

• tvgirl48 says:

TOTALLY agree about Southland. I’m so proud of you Michael, for mentioning it. I feel like other critics are completely forgetting about how amazing it was.

• JD says:

Agree. if someone from Glee was going to be nominated it should have been Naya. Love Jane Lynch, but she wasn’t really around much this time. Glee was horrible last season, so I can’t even believe it got a best show nod.

19. Jen says:

Where is Nick Offerman? Ron Swanson deserves some Emmy love!

20. SOAFAN says:

I don’t think it’s fair that Sons of Anarchy gets ignored. It’s an awesome show with amazing actors and actresses. As a drama it leaves you on the edge of your seat each week but yet it gets ignored. Sad.. Wake up Emmy ppl! It’s time to give SOA some love!

21. sarah says:

Very happy that Johnny Galecki got a nod and not just Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco deserved a nod too; pleased about The Good Wife and it’s gang, especially Christine Baranski. Loved the way Josh Jackson revealed Melissa McCarthy’s nomination – he was so lovely with her. But, devastated that Fringe got nothing. What a travesty.

22. Lauren says:

Seriously, SO pissed that Community and Cougar Town both got snubbed. Especially that Courteney nor Busy got a nomination, yet Betty White did. SO EFFED UP. Happy that Parks and Rec got a nom! Also thrilled for Matt LeBlanc, Steve Carell and the guys from Big Bang.

23. Lauren says:

I’m disappointed that KaDee Strickland wasn’t nominated for Private Practice.

24. sudie says:

How did nick offerman or aziz ansari get passed over? Or chris pratt?

25. Monse says:

WTF, No fringe?!

26. sasha says:

No Courteney Cox AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m so angry right now!
    F*ck Emmy

27. Elena says:

No Bones… No Emily Deschanel.. I’m SUPER DUPER PISSED! what’s wrong with those emmy people.. like seriously… don’t they have eyes? or a HEART? ugh
    WHEN is it finally going to happen???????

28. wendyshena says:

No love for Fringe again. so mad right now. stupid emmy voters

29. Amy says:

The excellent actress Lisa Edelstein (House) was overlooked once again. Why? Every scene she performs is a master acting class unto itself.

• tristan says:

lol.

• Liz says:

Because she’s not good enough and there are tons of actresses out there who deserve the Emmy before she does. Sorry, it’s a fact.

• Fringefan says:

she’s not a good actress.So she doesn’t deserve a nomination

• Simon Jester says:

On the contrary, she’s a fine actress. There were just five performances this year that were deemed superior. There’s only so much the actors can do with the scripts they’re given… and much as I enjoy HOUSE, it’s past its prime.

30. Bob says:

Lol, Lisa Edelstein didn’t even get a nod or anything. *waits for teh crazy fans to invade tvline*

31. Lindsey says:

So thrilled Amy Poehler got nominated but so disappointed John Noble didn’t :/

32. Sharon Mc says:

No Community or Cougartown but John Cryer gets nominated AGAIN. Urgh.

33. Susan says:

How did Bob Newhart not get nominated for his guest star role on NCIS?

• Gitte says:

I’d like to know that too.
      I’ve kinda come to terms with the fact that NCIS will never get an Emmy nomination for the show itself, but guest actors have been nominated before and Bob Newhart did an amazing job in his episode.

• Catherine says:

No he didn’t. NCIS did not get a single Emmy nod.

34. Ann says:

Emily Deschanel :(

35. J says:

I am SUPER pumped about Josh Charles and Alan Cummings! In fact, I love ALL the Good Wife love!

BOO to Hugh Laurie, Jon Cryer, Kathy Bates (WTF?!?!?!), Laura Linney (that show is just not funny), everything 30 Rock and The Office got.

What I don’t know what to think: All The Kennedy’s love…for a show that was the black mark of Hollywood, the Emmy voters sure rewarded them.

36. Amy says:

For everyone pissed about no Fringe nominations, etc. you finally get why Friday Night Lights fans are so F’in ECSTATIC that Kyle, Connie, and the show were nominated. Emmys are like that cute boy/girl in high school that you were so damn happy talked to you in English class. F’ em. But damn it feels good to get a nod…

37. Mel says:

LOUIS CK!!!! That was really the best one of all. I love how his show makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Any yay for Alan Cumming, who is so wonderful on The Good Wife.

38. Margo says:

It really annoys me when shows like 30 Rock and now Modern Family almost completely hog the award categories, without giving an opportunity to other deserving actors/actresses. Also, how about the Emmy’s add a “dramedy” category for shows like Glee that aren’t quite a comedy, but also not really a traditional drama.

39. Xforce11 says:

Boo for no Fringe love! Sci-fi is a worthy genera!

• Suhara says:

Exactly! Where is Anna Torv’s/John Noble’s well-deserved Emmy nomination? I really don’t understand the Emmy bias against Sci-Fi! Just because it’s more intelligent and requires a higher IQ than the likes of Glee and Two And A Half Men etc? Its craaazy :(

40. Andyhartley says:

Mmm…I really don’t get why Glee keeps getting nominations, it was decent in its first season, but now…well yeah

Would’ve swapped Glee for Community anyday

41. Suhara says:

It’s utterly ridiculous! Not going to even bother watching the Emmys now that neither Anna Torv/Fringe nor Emily Deschanel/Bones got nominations….. Can’t believe that the likes of Glee and Two And A Half Men are getting nominations and nothing for the exceptionally good shows like Fringe and Bones…. What have the Emmys come to?!:(

42. Kristin says:

So annoyed that Fringe got left out. Esp. Anna Torv and John Noble. It’s always the same people. Reminds of me of high school and how the same girls always got nominated for Homecoming Queen. Guess this just proves if you have an original, thought-provoking show you lose out to the dreck that doesn’t require anything to stimulate you.

• Suhara says:

I couldn’t agree more! Its like if you run a show which is actually intelligent and requires a viewer IQ over 10 then you can’t get an Emmy nomination. Case in point Fringe and Bones… Very disappointing.

• Kristy says:

It’s so sad but so true. Every year I try not to get my hopes up, and every year I think “well maybe this year” and every year I get annoyed. Why do the Emmys hate well thought-out, thought-provoking television???

• Cordy says:

Do NOT put fringe and bones together like that. not even in the same league. Bones is that dreck. Fringe is one of the best shows on tv

43. kozmikg says:

Fringe, John and Anna were completely robbed!!

• Bob says:

It took 3 years before any actor (Gillian Anderson) was nominated for X-Files. Duchovny was only nominated twice and never won. Maybe they’ll finally show some love next year for Fringe.

• guest says:

Well it looked their year now, critics loved it, Anna and John great at the Paley’s, because it was now Anna Torv and John Noble both with a chance more attention from the media and the double act, in the case of Anna Torv triple plus the two mixes act was new.

On the other hand, if you se what does get nominated, may be they are too good, or may be Fringe has to move to Hollywood? Or being Australian in drama categorie does not go well? They already have the Brits invading, who knows.

If even the New York Times does not agree about Anna Torv not being nominated, well they may realise they got it wrong.

44. Andres says:

Julia Louis Dreyfus is absent from guest star (at 30 rock)!?

45. Pandora says:

What about Supernatural????? They got “only” a nomination back in the 2008… (for the sound editing…… It’s something, but…. come on è.é) They deserve more!!! WTH?!?!?!?

(sorry for my english)

46. nonabgo says:

Happy for:
    – Michael C. Hall and Hugh Laurie’s nominations
    – Game of Thrones being nominated, although S1 just ended. Also Peter Dinklage, who’s a genius.
    – Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons being both nominated, as well as the show for best comedy. The Big Bang Theory is probably my favorite sitcom ever.
    – Eddie Falco getting another nomination
    – Jeff Probst, who’s the best host ever.

Pissed because they forgot about Neil Patrick Harris, he’s the funniest man on TV right now. Sean Bean deserved a nomination.

47. B. says:

the Emmys are a joOoOoOoOoke!

48. Nicole says:

How the hell does Mariska Hargitay keep getting nominated? Is her girlfriend on the nominating committee, or what? Her name doesn’t even deserve to be mentioned with those other ladies. It’s sickening. Her portrayal of Saint Oliska has gotten old, and I’m tired of seeing her get rewarded for it. Though we know she’ll lose yet again.

• Danny says:

Nicole, you seem bitter. Mariska is a fine actress. How about some praise for things you’re happy about? Jeez

49. Franko says:

No love for Parenthood? Ugh…

• cesar says:

I was thinking the Same thing..this season was amazing!!! Mae Whitman deserved a emmy nod!!

• julie says:

me too. otherwise, fairly happy with the Friday Night Lights, Good Wife, and Justified love they showed in the Drama categories.

50. KMG says:

HOW CAN THESE PEOPLE NOT NOMINATE ANNA TORV AND JOHN NOBLE??????

Ahem. Excuse me.

Love Glee, but this was not it’s strongest season… several other shows deserved a best Comedy nod over it.

Also, I’m with you, MA… I love Kathy Bates, but I think she’s the weakest part of Harry’s Law right now.

So glad that Cat Deeley & SYTYCD finally got some Emmy love, though.