Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2011: The 21 Biggest Snubs

‘Tis the season to rejoice over our favorite Emmy nominees (listed here), but perhaps just as importantly, to gripe and kvetch over the annual onslaught of snubs that come with ‘em. Yes indeed, TVLine readers, consider this countdown of the 21 biggest snubs from Emmy’s Class of 2011 as your jumping off point to work through your feelings of rage, frustration, and disappointment. In other words, review this year’s contenders, then go forth and peruse our list of the most egregious omissions — and hit the comments to commiserate!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Commentary, Emmys, Lists, Photo Gallery

1. one says:

what about Naya Rivera?

2. Buffy Freak says:

Busy Phillips from Cougar Town, Lauren Graham and Mae Whitman from Parenthood, Nick Offerman and Adam Scott from Parks and Recreation. But outside the major categories, Archer snubbed from Best Animated Series but The Cleveland Show got nominated? And Jon Benjamin not nominated for his voice-over work on Archer but the woman who voices the dead woman on Desperate Housewives is? Come on!

3. Valerie says:

I am sad that Bob Newhart didn’t garner an Emmy nod for his poignant turn on NCIS. That’s just a travesty.

Oh and John Noble should win an Emmy simply for having the best hair on TV – let alone his stellar acting on Fringe. (Anna Torv gets an honorable mention for her attempt to channel Leonard Nimoy.)

4. Captain says:

No love for Naya, Heather, or Lea?

5. LA says:

“KaDee Strickland, Private Practice”

You’ve GOT to be kidding!

Offerman, McHale, Pudi, Community, robbed, yes indeed.

Nothing on Private Crapfest is Emmy worthy, NOTHING.

6. lila says:

I’m still in shock that Courteney Cox didn’t get a nod. SHE IS THE BEST COMEDY ACTRESS EVERRRRRR! C’MON

7. Fringe says:

No Anna Torv, no Fringe at all!? I still can’t believe Torv didn’t get a nomination. She was SUPERB this season. If anyone, she deserved the best actress award!

8. F. says:

Shocked that Naya Rivera or Jayma Mays didn’t get nominated. I hope next year they’ll both be! And no love for Cougar Town, HIMYM and Community? Wow just wow. :(

9. Zoe says:

Why does Hollywood continuously snub JJ Abrams? First Star Trek gets no Oscar love (Best Makeup does not count. It deserved a Best Picture nod, and some acting nominations too.) and Fringe has been totally snubbed three times. Seriously, JJ is one of the most brilliant directors out there. Give him and the actors that he directs so brilliantly the respect they deserve.

10. Holly says:

The biggest snubs for me are Nick Offerman and Bill Hader. Bill has been the only person over at SNL who ever makes the show watchable in my opinion (other than the occasionally good digital short). He really deserves some recognition.
    Nick Offerman is Ron Swanson. Enough said.

Also, Adam Scott, Danny Pudi, Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Community just in general.

11. docvap says:

I think Castle should be added to the Snub list too.

12. Jessica says:

No love for the guys on Parks & Rec is literally the worst news I’ve seen today.

Also, it would have been great for Parenthood’s Lauren Graham, Craig T. Nelson, and Peter Krause to get some recognition for their work on that amazing and moving show.

13. Mandy says:

The lack of recognition for Nick Offerman, Shawn Hatosy, Cougar Town and Community make me so angry at the Emmys. Modern Family is good, but no better than either of these two comedies.

14. Corinne says:

Biggest shocks were obviously Nick Offerman, Neil Patrick Harris, Katey Segal. But what about SOA for best drama. Also, I would have liked to seen David Duchovny for Californacation and Justin Kirk from Weeds. Also, I know Weeds went downhill for season 4 and 5, but I thought season 6 was great, and certainly better than lackluster sophomore season of Glee. I love me some Jane Lynch, but I don’t think she or the show deserved a nomination this year.

15. MG says:

Courteney Cox, Busy Phillips, Patricia Heaton, Eden Sher, and Emily Deschanel all deserved to be nominated! Cox is a versatile, hilarious actress and I just don’t understand why she hasn’t been nominated! It is an outrage that shows like Nurse Jackie and Glee can be nominated but I have never laughed out to either of them! Cougar Town is mature, intelligent and is witty and great! And the middle is ridiculously under rated!

16. Beth says:

KaDee Strickland, Sara Ramirez,and Jessica Capshaw should have been nominated! I know not everyone is a fan of Grey’s Anatomy or Private Practice but all three portrayed strong women who went through traumatic events (rape/assault, almost death, & car wreck). They were stunning and beautifully played! To have some shows with 4 out of the 5 nominations in a category and actresses like this not get any recognition seems like a crime!

• Josephine says:

I actually watch both shows and would not agree at all… i don’t think they deserve to be nominated… there are lots of other characters who have done things like that and done it amazing… but still have not been nominated for it… so that is just a bad reason to come up with…
      Paget Brewster should be nominated if you go from a point like that. Brennan in Bones should probably have been nominated every year if you as she have been almost killed a lot of times… and given some amazing scenes everytime…
      Plus if any one from Grey’s deserve an emmy nomination it is Ellen Pompeo… who have done amazing work on the show for years… but hey even I can see that is unrealistic at this point as the shows hit big amn amazing time was a couple of years ago… and it is starting to go down big time…

17. me says:

what baffles the hell out of me is that Modern Family, a less funny Office clone, got FOUR supporting actor nominations, when surely one of them (I’m looking at you Ed O’Neill) could have gone to Danny Pudi. And Betty White’s spot should be Alison Brie’s.

18. Go to guy says:

How about the snub of Yvonne Strahovski for supporting Actress for Chuck. She was sooo great in Phase Three episode, that alone should have been enough for a nod.She was fantastic this season.

• Asre says:

What? That girl just sucks… she’s a pretty face, and that’s all. God she is a horrible actress.

• GUS says:

Arse,

Is just what you are. She is a great actress and just as pretty.I bet you have never even seen Chuck, have you?

If you have , you would know what the Go to guy is talking about .He is absolutely right.She is an amazing actress.

19. Amy says:

Most upset by the lack of Nick Offerman or any of the Community snubs.

20. Xerophytes says:

Emmys are idiots.

They do not know what is sci-fi.

What are they thinking? Do they live in a world where the genre of a show is either DRAMA or COMEDY???

They got to be STUPID.

21. bmill2 says:

There are too many error so properly name but here goes…Busy Phillips, Nick Offerman, NPH, Justified, Kaley Cuoco, Katey Segal, Sons of Anarchy, John Noble, Community…and so many more. The two things I am genuinely happy about is Cat Deeley finally getting the recognition she deserves and Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins both getting nods for a great season on Justified

22. Nicole says:

I know it’s a “procedural drama,” but I still think NCIS should get recognition. Mark Harmon is a brilliant actor, as well as Michael Weatherly and the rest of the cast. Also, I definitely think Bob Newhart’s guest appearance was stunning. Even though it’s a crime show, I think TV’s #1 should get nominations.

23. Zahra says:

As an Brit watcher of lots of American shows, I’m shocked Community was snubbed for best comedy, best comedy actor for Joel McHale, best supporting comedy actress Alison Brie and best supporting comedy actor for Danny Pudi…arguably one of the funniest comedies in so longs, on par with many sharply written British comedies.
    Also Denis O’Hare was epic as Russell Edgington, I mean the spine ripping scene, arguably the most memorable scene on TV in 2010!
    Glee had a poor season 2, and terribly unfunny, did not deserve a best comedy show, it’s more a dramedy anyway; bring back the quality of the first 13 episodes in season 1, focussing on the core characters!
    Matt Le Blanc was not even the funnies character in Episodes (a BBC 6part comedy) Tamsin Greig as Beverly was the star.
    Mad Men to win all the drama categories!
    Sadly too many Emmy judges have poor taste, or taste stuck in 2006, choosing shows with terrible laugh tracks *cringe*.
    Rant over.

24. Jo says:

The fact that Danny Pudi did not even get nominated will make me teary for the next week. He is absolutely hilarious, unlike some of the others in that category.

25. Jessica says:

What about Emmy Rossum??? Almost all of Shameless was shut out except Joan Cusack. In fact, every single category you can practically guess where the nominees will be coming from…Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, the Good Wife, Mad Men, etc. Yes, those shows may be good, but it’s starting to make me think they decide we’re going to pick all the categories from these shows and not let anyone else in!

26. Lucia says:

Too bad that Max Adler didn’t get nominated, when Jon Cryer got his nomination out of pity for putting up with Charlie Sheen.

27. Darin Bunch says:

I’m a huge fan of many shows listed — Community, Walking Dead, Justified — but the biggest Emmy snub of them all was Nick Cannon not being nominated for Best Reality Show Host. His fun, kind likability is what makes America’s Got Talent a true guilty pleasure instead of something I have to shower after watching.

28. JillianLovesFood says:

All my favorite tv shows get snubbed of Emmy noms… even with Gilmore Girls. Currently my favs are; Psych, Bones, NCIS, Burn Notice, Parenthood, In Plain Sight, and Fringe. The people who pick the noms must be so out of touch with television and what is really important with deciding who truly deserves an Emmy. When my favorite shows DO get noms, which is a rare occasion; they never win. There should be a “Viewer Favorite” category for shows that don’t quite fit one specific genre and for us fans to finally get our votes in. Then we would be so much more satisfied.

• Laugh says:

I LOVE In Plain Sight! Mary always says the most salty things to everyone.

NCIS is always playing on a loop on USA, so we can quote most of that series. Plus, you can tell what season it is based on McGee’s weight. Love Abby, McGee, Tony, Gibbs, Ducky, Jimmy Palmer, even Vance and Ziva are fine. I REALLY miss Kate, though. I don’t care for her new show as much. Maybe they got some new writers on Rizzoli and Isles for Season 2.

29. Hillary says:

Michael Cudlitz. The main reason I watch Southland.

30. Tahoe Mike says:

Treme is a ridiculous snub. Kahndi Alexander was amazing for the last two seasons. Wendell Pierce was great too. The writing and the music were both deserving of recognition.

31. kkadaasda says:

Sorry but Kaley Cuoco and Anna Torv are the worst actresses ever. They only pull an idiot face in every scene. God they are awful performers. They suck.

32. Lauren says:

Can’t believe Denis O’Hare isn’t on this. He deserved to win IMO.

33. Katie says:

How is it that Simon Baker/The Mentalist were nommed for season one but James Roday/Psych have never been nommed? Especially for the first couple of seasons, he was stellar? I’ve given up on the Emmy’s.

34. Elexis says:

It’s a crime when such talent like Max Adler’s is not recognized by the Emmy’s. You would have to be blind and deaf for you not to see the scene stealing quality acting that is Max Adler.

35. sam says:

100% agree on KaDee Strickland, she had an amazing year and brought me to tears many, many times… Private Practice needs at least aa little love!!!

36. airhead says:

I can’t believe that Community & Cougar Town didn’t get a single nomination. That’s just stupid

37. chriscolferiswin says:

No love for Darren Criss…? :(

• Laugh says:

Yes, I agree that Darren Criss should have been given a guest nomination. Maybe he put himself in the Supporting Actor category which would’ve been a big misstep. The supporting categories are always the toughest since there are exponentially more supporting actors on every show.

38. Laugh says:

Many of the obvious snubs were listed and some under-the-radar too. Nice to see KaDee Strickland noticed at least by this site! I wish to see love for my wonderful ‘Psych’ boys as well, James Roday and Dule Hill!

39. Lois says:

Why do the Emmys hate Courtney Cox? She was the only “Friends” cast member to never have been nominated for the show, yet she was always truly wonderful in the show. Now they are ignoring her again, even though she’s terrific in Cougartown.

40. Bob says:

I can understand when someone’s favorite actor or show is not nominated. However, with one or two exceptions (Kathy Bates?), who/what would you remove from the list to make room for your favorite? Then what do you do with all the people who wanted that actor or show nominated? You can’t make everyone happy, otherwise you’d have 20 actors/shows in each category, so just go with the flow!

41. Decency says:

Community/Parks and Rec guys is the most egregious oversight. I was honestly shocked.

And also, I understand that Lea Michele/Rachel Berry may not be everyone’s cup of tea. She certainly didn’t deserve a nom in comparison to the nominated ladies on far more consistent shows; despite the fact that she’s been turning coal into diamonds all season long, not even she could could overcome the awful quality of writing she received this season. But she’s incredibly talented and works the absolute hardest of anyone on that show for the show. She’s being doing ll the heavy lifting for this show from the get-go, so all this gladness at her lack of a nomination is just petty, unnecessary, and just kind of sad.

42. Elizabeth says:

The fact that John Noble has once again been overlooked is downright inexcusable, and frankly undermines any legitimacy the Emmy voters delude themselves into believing they have.

And just a quick shoutout to all those who cried Emily Deschanel was robbed: thank you for making me laugh. I needed it today.

43. Bear75 says:

When you look down the list of Emmy nominations, I think its clear that the board only have certain programmes on their DVR. I mean, I love the Good Wife & Mad Men – the writing & ensemble acting is superb but are they so far ahead of everyone else?? No, I don’t think they are. I was utterly shocked to see that one of the highest watched dramas ‘Castle’ & its fab leads Fillion & Katic didn’t even get a wink in their direction let alone a nod. Parenthood S2 was amazing this year – with standout cast members Lauren Graham & Mae Whitman, William H Macy’s Frank in Shameless (US) was gut-wrenchingly exceptional & what about Alison ‘can do no wrong’ Janney in Mr Sunshine? Hello! I appreciate that we have 4 million channels worth of stuff on these days but Emmy need to broaden their viewing before it becomes deleted from my own DVR…

44. Victoria says:

I do not understand why Lisa Edelstein hasn’t even been considered by the Emmy committee or whoever comes up with these nominations to be in the category for Outstanding supporting actress in a drama series. For seven years this woman has poured her heart into the role of Lisa Cuddy and she doesnt even get recognised. I would of thought that her part in the 7th season of House, where she got alot of screentime that the HFP would be able to notice her more but still nothing???! I don’t know whats going on there…she is long overdue especially in the 5th season of House where she really shined! What shame she isnt coming back to House, but better then because now she might actually get recognised by recurring in the good wife. Go LisaE!

45. jonloblerocks says:

do emmy voters even watch fringe?
    there’s really no one better than mr. noble on tv right now.
    one week he’s crazy and vulnerable wlater
    then cold and almost scary walternate.
    yet both characters are so multi-faceted
    and nolbe just doesn’t miss a beat.
    name one actor that’s better, i challenge you.
    and i don’t say this just because i’m a fringe fan.

46. Amy says:

ugh i am so disappointed..Community deserves at least one nomination..the review were raving this year for many episodes..