Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2011: The 21 Biggest Snubs

‘Tis the season to rejoice over our favorite Emmy nominees (listed here), but perhaps just as importantly, to gripe and kvetch over the annual onslaught of snubs that come with ‘em. Yes indeed, TVLine readers, consider this countdown of the 21 biggest snubs from Emmy’s Class of 2011 as your jumping off point to work through your feelings of rage, frustration, and disappointment. In other words, review this year’s contenders, then go forth and peruse our list of the most egregious omissions — and hit the comments to commiserate!

Comments (259)

• WORST SNUBS (in order):
    Nick Offerman
    Community for Comedy
    All/any of the actors from Community
    Courteney Cox
    Justified for Drama
    Patricia Heaton

Someone tell Ed O’Neill to switch to Best Actor so Offerman, Pudi, etc., have a shot.

Comment by John – July 14, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Donald Glover being snubbed is worse than Danny Pudi. Also no Offerman or the consistently great Vincent Kartheiser.

Comment by Kush – July 14, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Vincent Kartheiser! Yes! He’s fantastic and so versatile. I feel like he gets overlooked because he’s not as big of an ego as some of his other cast members.

Comment by Logistics – July 14, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The John Noble and Fringe snubs and the Justified one are the three that boggle. But whatever, John Cryer got a nod so all is logical in emmy land. Right? Right?

Comment by Kirstin – July 14, 2011 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do the Emmy voters only watch Modern Family? Look. I like it. But Nick Offerman is better than all of those guys. Sorry, but it’s true. And Katey Sagal was robbed too. And I’m going to also throw in a lament about the lack of NPH. Because what is an award show without NEIL PATRICK HARRIS?

Comment by Kaitlin – July 14, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To answer your question unlegen……..don’t wait for it cause it’s not worth it

Comment by Me – July 14, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re: Angel – Heather Morris did not get nearly enough screen time or good content to make her a contender. And honestly, I don’t think she’s a particularly great actress either. She gets some funny one-liners, but that’s about it.
    Max Adler and Naya Rivera would have been great to see up there, but they also both had primarily dramatic material – it’s the same reason why Chris Colfer didn’t really stand a chance at winning the Emmy last year, IMO. He gets nominated anyway because he does such a good job, but I’d be surprised if they actually gave it to him.
    Nick Offerman is probably the worst snub of the year. He does some amazing work on Parks & Rec.
    And I would have loved to see a Sara Ramirez nom too, but we all know that Grey’s is never going to be nominated for much. And rightly so, if we’re being realistic.

Comment by Sarah – July 14, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kyra Sedgewick and Nick Offerman.

Comment by sally – July 14, 2011 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mad Men, but when was the last time that show was in the air? I no longer get HBO, but I didn’t see anything for Treme :’(

Comment by banshee – July 14, 2011 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patricia Heaton is awesome, but her politics are “wrong” for the entertainment industry. So I’m not surprised at the snub’.

Comment by banshee – July 14, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Patricia Heaton was nominated for Emmys for Best Actress in a Comedy SEVEN times, and has WON TWICE. Her politics don’t matter at all.

Comment by Lois – July 15, 2011 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so disappointed that Stana Katic doesn’t get nomination. She did a fantastic job, esp. in season finale.
    feel bad for Anna Torv too.
    hope they get luckier next year (THIS I doubt though, unless Emmy itself changes)

Comment by l – July 14, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • danny pudi and nick offerman. the two of them are doing the best comedy on tv. i can’t make myself get with modern family, so i’m withholding any judgement, but it can’t possibly be good enough to merit 4/6 supporting actor noms, especially with all the amazing work on the air right now.

Comment by hydra – July 14, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said…I couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Kelly – July 14, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There should really be an award show for people/shows NOT nominated for Emmys, and it would likely be as good as, if not better than, the actual Emmys.

Steaming over Cougar Town, Community and Fringe snubs especially.

Comment by Rebecca Parker – July 14, 2011 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad Chloe Sevigne did not get a nomination. When she won at the Golden Globes she was rude, smug, and abrasive so why would emmy voters want he up there?

Comment by Lara – July 14, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BLOODY OUTRAGEOUS THAT KADEE STRICKLAND WAS LEFT OFF!

Love or hate the show this was one of the BEST performances of the year. I am an occasional watcher of Private and when i saw this i immediately thought WOW! Powerful performance and immediately thought Emmy nomination. Guess those Emmy nominators are stuck up people who watch a small amount of TV say 10-15 series overall because thats what the nominations look like.

Christine Baranski? Seriously? Are you freaking kidding me? It was ok but its not OUTSTANDING! I am snubbing these sort of award shows because they never ever recognise something. Go jump off a cliff cos i have had it every single year with these award IDIOTS!

Had my RANT probably will have a truckload more because these Emmy people have no idea of outstanding performances.

Comment by Guy – July 14, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’ve convinced me! It was also very good writing. She killed it!

Comment by Laugh – July 15, 2011 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Fringe snubs were the most painful, imo. However, as a sci-fi fan, I am used to it. :|

Comment by Pam – July 14, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA…I’m used to it too…but it never gets easier does it?

Comment by Kristy – July 14, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Deshanel – Bones
    Donnie Wahlberg and Tom Selleck – Blue Bloods
    Lauren Graham and Peter Krause – Parenthood

Comment by CAM – July 14, 2011 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. I was really surprised by the Blue Bloods and Parenthood omissions, especially.

Comment by Cat – July 14, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll never happen, but Bill Hader deserved a nomination for SNL. He was fabulous, and single-handedly made SNL watchable this year.

Comment by Logistics – July 14, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BIGGEST SNOB EVER: THE MENTALIST!!!

Comment by Shaia – July 14, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope you are joking, because before I would ever consider to nominate that copy cat of a show, I would nominate Psych. It is so much better, on so many levels that it is not even funny.

Comment by Rational Rachel – July 14, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Fringe snubs are outrageous. John Noble, Anna Torv and Fringe – all 3.

I also agree about Emily Deschanel.

Comment by Kay – July 14, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emilia Clarke got snubbed pretty bad as well for Best Supp. Actress Drama. For a young actress fresh out of acting school she knocked it clear out of the park in her performance as Daenerys Targarean on “Game of Thrones”. Ridiculous that they give two nominations in the same category to the same show. It would have been awesome to have Clarke, Margo Martindale, and Michelle Forbes fighting it out for that award as those were the three best supp. female roles on television this past season.

And another lead actress who deserved to be there over Hargitay and Bates is Emmy Rossum “Shameless”. You could have an entire category of snubbed lead actresses that are better than the actual nominees: Katey Sagal “Sons of Anarchy”, Lucy Lawless “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena”, Anna Torv “Fringe”, Emmy Rossum “Shameless”, Kathryn Erbe “Criminal Intent”, and Mary McCormack “In Plain Sight”.

Comment by BHM1304 – July 14, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emilia Clarke is the biggest snub to me. She may be the best young actress in the business.

Comment by Steve T – July 14, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two I’m really sorry about:

1. Denis O’Hare as Russell Edgington in “True Blood”

2. Kiernan Shipka as Sally Draper in “Mad Men”

I saw Denis O’Hare’s performance in “Assassins” on Broadway three times. It was one of the most exhilarating performances I’ve ever seen onstage. And I thought he was flat-out amazing in “True Blood.”

Comment by Jesse – July 14, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am near to tears about all of the Community snubs. It’s heartbreaking that a show that brilliant can’t get recognition.

Comment by Annoula – July 14, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t spell her name, but the girl on BIG BANG THEORY. I LOVE HER!
    But, I am SOOOOOOO HAPPY for HUGH LAURIE!!!
    I just wonder WHEN he is going to win.
    It is SOOOOOOOOOOO overdo!!
    CONGRATS Hugh! You are AWESOME!

Comment by Nancy – July 14, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, Hugh Laurie’s Emmy award has been long overdue. He has to win this time.

Comment by Amber – July 14, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hugh Laurie is absolutely overdue.

Comment by Maggie – July 14, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope they finally give an Emmy to Hugh Laurie. He deserves it.

Comment by Lois – July 15, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone at TVLine please explain the criteria that defines the difference between a comedy/drama and a mini-series? Take a couple examples, 1. Matt LeBlanc was nominated for a series that had about 6 episodes, yet he’s in the Comedy Series category. 2. People are putting The Walking Dead in the Drama series category again with only 6 episodes. 3. The Pillars of the Earth and Mildred Pierce (with 8 and 5 episodes) get placed in the mini-series category. I don’t understand. I always thought it unfair that the ~13 episode series that are run on basic cable (like Mad Men) were up against the 22-24 episode series, robbing them of chances, but now creeps in the 6 episode series that could even take nominations away from the middle length series! Basically, what constitutes a “mini-”series? (There, that’s my rant for the day……)

Comment by Dave – July 14, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My list of Emmy snubs.

Denis O’Hare – True Blood
    Sean Bean – Game of Thrones
    John Noble – Fringe
    Anna Torv – Fringe
    Sara Ramirez – Greys Anatomy
    KaDee Strickland – Private Practice

Comment by Talia – July 14, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Max was nominated, but there would have been more of a better chance if he was a guest actor. Oh well, I hope this season, he gets more screen time and prove his acting prowess! May it be Glee or any other show.

Comment by Amber – July 14, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biggest snubs were Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and “Sherlock.” Brilliant TV overlooked for trash like “The Kennedys.”

Comment by Maggie – July 14, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To name Anna Torv in the same context as Mary McDonnell is outrageous. It doesn’t matter how many versions of herself she plays, half of the BSG cast played more roles in a single season, than Anna Torv in 3 and none got nominated. It’s how they excell at their job. Out of the whole cast Mary McDonnell deserved a nomination for her outstanding talent at playing one role.

Anna Torv has improved over the seasons and I really like her take on Olivia, but there is nothing Emmy-worthy about it. Her Altolivia is limited and cliched, not to mention the appalling imitation of Leonard Nimoy.

And as much as I like Fringe, I’m not sure I would vote for it over the other nominated shows. Some argue that this season was uneven and that that the first half was better than the second, but I didn’t find the first half that good, either. There were too many glaring contrivances, that made it exasperating and annoying.

I have to agree that John Noble has been the biggest snub, because his recognition is long overdue. I feel sad for him, because his acting is truly breathtaking. However, I admit the nominees for Supporting Actor are worthy of their nominations. I can’t be angry.

Comment by br – July 14, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’m ecstatic that Parks & Rec got a much deserved nod, where are the nominations for Community – and the rest of the Parks & Rec cast?! Nick Offerman and Danny Pudi, especially, were severely overlooked. 4 nominations in one field for Modern Family? I get it, that show is good, but come on…recognize some other worthy actors. And nothing for Parenthood? I’m seriously disappointed.

Comment by Kelly – July 14, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Torv and John Noble deserved at least a nomination! No one that was nominated in their categories did a better job than them. Such a huge disappointment.

Comment by summer – July 14, 2011 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So bummed about KaDee Strickland, Parenthood, and Cougar Town :(

Comment by Becca – July 14, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill Macy shoul have been nominated for Shameless

Comment by Katie – July 14, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And John Noble for Fringe. I love House, but come on. Enough is enough.

Comment by Katie – July 14, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only glaring omissions for me are Matt Czuchry [most underrated], Kaley Cupco, and as someone above mentioned, Sherlock/Benedict Cumberbatch/Martin Freeman. I don’t watch most of the dreck that is nominated.

Comment by Templar – July 14, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry:meant Cuoco.

Comment by Templar – July 14, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to not see noms for Sean Bean, Busy Phillips, NPH, and Cougar Town for series.

Why isn’t there a younger actor/actress category? There are certainly enough potential nominees!

Comment by Jen – July 14, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • noy how i met your mother they get snubbed every year and no jimmy kimmell live booooo

Comment by tyler perez – July 14, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this is annoying. Nothing for Castle at all. It’s such a wonderful show that has such a large fan base. I’m disappointed that Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic didn’t get any nominations, it’s just a shame. The Emmys are always rigged and they’re a complete popularity contest.

Comment by Katr – July 14, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KaDee Strickland, Private Practice
    Def. got snub this year, she was the best acted in the whole season of PP and her storylines were the one that were great.

I also think Troian Bellisario should have gotten an emmy for best lead actess in a drama series, out of all the girls on Pretty Little Liars Troian acts the very best,like way better, and most of her scene are emmy wordy.

Comment by fernando – July 14, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree with all of the ones in the gallery above! I knew it was a long shot for both ‘Fringe’ and ‘Southland’, but those two shows had such fantastic seasons that I thought Anna Torv and Shawn Hatosy at least might get recognized. Grrrrr.

I’m beyond thrilled that FNL finally got a Best Drama nom, though! Boy, that’s been a long time coming.

Comment by Cat – July 14, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Say it again, William H Macy was a huge snub. Emmy Rosumm as well should of been nominated.

Comment by Rob – July 14, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Czuchry was so GOOD this year! SIGH! What a shame!

Comment by Luc – July 14, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that Parenthood is always over-looked sort of negates these entire awards. I mean, I never really expected a nomination. But that show consistently blows my mind like no other show on TV. Also, John Noble and Nick Offerman are glaring omissions. Such a travesty.

Comment by ListsAndGrades – July 14, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with you on almost everyone but where the hell is Lauren Graham and where is Parenthood!? -HUGE snubs!!

Comment by l – July 14, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Sandra Oh? She was brilliant in her portrayal of Christina’s recovery from PTSD on Grey’s.

Comment by Michelle T. – July 14, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can they snub Parenthood!? Its such an amazing show with an even more amazing cast!? :-O

And also how could they snub Nick Offerman and the Cougar Town cast…

the emmys are a joke!!

Comment by c – July 14, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would also add to this list Lauren Graham and Mae Whitman for Parenthood. I love Kathy Bates in The Office, but I thought Harry’s Law was a little beneath her. Still, it’s nice to see a woman over 30 getting a lead in a TV show that doesn’t require her to be uptight and married to her job, while secretly being in love with her colleague/partner/guy-who-bases-the-character-in-his-books-on-her.

Comment by Ann – July 14, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm… How about PSYCH? I can honestly say that it is the funniest show currently on television right now. And because it is on USA, no one will give it the recognition it deserves. The show has delivered five consistently hilarious seasons, which is something The Office can’t say. And, although I enjoy it, I would choose Psych over Glee any day. As for Mike and Molly, well, that show isn’t even funny. At all. Psych deserves a nomination. For five years now, the Academy has snubbed it. Psych needs an emmy nomination, for if no reason other than the fact that they have an outstanding show, cast and writers. Not to mention that Dule Hill and James Roday deserve acting nods as well.

Comment by Rational Rachel – July 14, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I am giddy with joy about all of the love for Mad Men and Downton Abbey, I can’t help but feel a tinge a sadness for the lack of Community appreciation. I thought for sure Joel McHale and Danny Pudi were going to get their nods this year. Not to mention the fact that Neil Patrick Harris was also snubbed.

Comment by Annie – July 14, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree with your comments about Shawn Hatosy. He should have been nominated for an Emmy when he was a guest star on ER. It was years ago but I still remember his performance.

Comment by Jane – July 14, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Jason Segel? He has been so good this season with the death of Marshall’s father!

Comment by CL – July 14, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sandra Oh, Kaydee Strickland, Eva Longoria

Comment by Linda – July 14, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Khandi Alexandar killed it this season on Treme! She gave probably one of the best performances I’ve seen all year. Better than Kadee Strickland, who I love, and definitely better than Kathy Bates. Much like the Wire, Treme has some of the best writing on TV… and no one watches it. Truly a shame.

Comment by Redbeard73 – July 14, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post