Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2011: Mad Men, Boardwalk and Modern Family Lead the Pack

Nominations for the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards were announced on Thursday, and AMC’s Mad Men has something to drink to, leading all series with 19 total nods. HBO’s Boardwalk Empire placed second with 18, while ABC’s Modern Family netted 17. Overall, HBO’s Mildred Pierce miniseries was the most-recognized piece of programming, with 21 noms.

Network-versus-network, HBO dominated with 104 nominations. Rounding out the Top 5 were CBS (50), NBC (46), PBS (43) and Fox (42).

Here now, the nominees in all the major categories. Your job, as fellow TV enthusiasts, is to hit the comments with euphoria… or outrage. (But err on the side of euphoria, ‘K?)

Emmy Nominations 2011: Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements

Emmy Nominations 2011: TVLine Names the 21 Biggest Snubs!

OUTSTANDING DRAMA

Julia Stiles, Dexter
Loretta Devine, Grey’s Anatomy
Randee Heller, Man Men
Cara Buono, Mad Men
Joan Cusack, Shameless
Alfre Woodard, True Blood

This Year’s Emmy Nominees React! See Who Said What!

OUTSTANDING COMEDY

Kristin Chenoweth, Glee
Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
Gwyneth Paltrow, Glee
Cloris Leachman, Raising Hope
Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live
Elizabeth Banks, 30 Rock

Video: Joel McHale Preps Melissa McCarthy For Emmy Nomination Day!

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST

Cinema Verite, HBO
Downton Abbey, PBS
The Kennedys, ReelzChannel
Mildred Pierce, HBO
The Pillars of the Earth, Starz
Too Big To Fail, HBO

The complete list of Emmy nominations can be found at Emmys.com.

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 18, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. Fox is broadcasting this year’s show, with Glee Emmy winner Jane Lynch serving as host.

1. Andrea says:

What a joke. The Vampire Diaries gets passed up again even after it’s stellar season 2. I have no faith left in the Emmys..

2. Jasmine says:

What happened to Sherlock? It was seriously the best thing on TV last year. Did it really get NOTHING?

3. Mandy says:

Hooray for Cat Deeley!
    There were some exciting noms and some disappointing ones.
    Don’t really love the results for Supporting Actor & actress in comedies. Could have used some diversity and recognition for Parks & Rec and Community.

4. MK204 says:

How is it that CASTLE did not receive one nod??? Nathan Fillion is terrific, as is the rest of the cast. Also…love Betty White, but the whole show, Hot In Cleveland is great. Everyone deserves a nomination. And no Kyra Sedgewick? Also…the guy who plays Provenza…overlooked constantly.

And finally…where’s Chris Harrison. The guy deserves an award just for being able to deal so well with so many dysfunctional people.

And finally…there’s a show on ABC Family…called Melissa and Joey. It stars Joey Lawrence and Melissa Joan Hart. It’s hysterical. Not even on their radar.

5. Ashley says:

I’m so glad Mariska Hargitay got nominated! No matter what anyone else says she totally deserves it!

6. Allie says:

While I am excited for The Good Wife noms, I have to say I feel bitter over the Commedy noms. It was for the most part, a joke. The fact Glee is there should be considered enough of a failure (And I don’t think Jane or Chris deserved as well). I’m glad to see Parks & Recreation there (But no Nick Offerman? Come on!), but the fact Community is not leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Considering the writing of the show is amazing (And Danny/Joel/Alison/Donald are all deserving) it’s a shame the show is always snubbed.

7. Justin says:

I’m very happy for Modern Family, Amy Poehler for Parks and Rec (finally!), and Idris Elba for his two nominations for the Big C and Luther. However, Nick Offerman and Fringe being snubbed blows big time!

8. Brandon says:

at least Shameless got one nom for Joan Cusack<s wonderful portrayal of Sheila

9. Amalthea says:

With a major cable channel leading the nominations, I think it’s time for the academy to really think about having separate awards for cable shows. Simply put, most of the cable shows that did get noms are from PREMIMUM CHANNELS(with the exception of Mad Men)!

Most, if not all subscribers don’t even get these channels, let alone can afford them or watch those shows. The Emmys should have a entire set awards just for cable. This way, the playing field is level for more rightfully deserving actors & shows.

With the noms for Glee, Modern Family & other “hip” shows, they are trying to reach new, dare I say youthful viewers.

But once again, most shows that have “different” subjects(i.e. scifi) still don’t get recognized by the Academy except for writing & technical awards.

It’s like, “We want to be trendy, but not geeky & nerdy..” And of those that have gotten the nom, its more of a “token” one, like if the show is ending(this happened with Star Trek: TNG & Buffy). God forbid a really great show is struggling in the ratings…those never even get seen by academy screeners!

We don’t want your pity, we just want acknowledgement of our work!!

• D says:

This is stupid. It’s not HBO’s fault networks can’t make better television(according to the Academy; not me). It’s an award show for the best shows and actors; there doesn’t need to be anymore segregation. I’m still of the opinion having an animation category is dumb.

I know, how about the category for “Outstanding Drama at 9 PM on Wednesday?” Playing field’s pretty slim there.

10. elr says:

So So Happy about So You Think You Can Dance and the exceptional Cat Deeley but, where the H*E*L*L is Fringe, John Noble and Anna Torv nominations.

11. jesse says:

fallon…seriously? That is the worst late night show by far, the only redeeming quality of his show is the roots

12. Mile says:

WHY IN THE WORLD IS GWYNEATH PALTROW GETTING A NOMINATION?
    She is awful in Glee.
    And her character is totally pointless.

13. Babygate says:

I think it’s outrageous for HBO, which a channel most people don’t get, to have swept the noms. And, how many times is Archie Panjabi going to be nominated? She’s good but she’s not that good. She plays her character in a more one-dimensional fashion. And although I love Modern Family, 4 noms is ridiculous and over the top. And I watch Glee too but it is far from being at outstanding show. Which leads me to believe that these noms are purely political. There is some type of hidden agenda that guides this process.

14. Brock says:

NEVER agree with the Drama noms. They’re always too slanted. Some great COMEDY noms (Martha Plimpton, Betty White and almost all others) but the BEST nom was CAT DEELY from SYTYCD, long robbed of a nom!

15. Kyle says:

Where the heck are Katey Sagal & Kyra Sedgewick? Why is Mariska whats-her-name on this list again?

16. Paoperez says:

Just one thing to say: WHAT ABOUT FRINGE!!!
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!

AND JHON NOBLE, AND ANNA TORV?????

This is Buffy all over again ¬¬

17. Jean says:

Love the Emmy love for TGW,FNL (it’s about time), and MF, but I would’ve traded one of the MF noms for more supporting noms for P&R. I’m also pleased for Martha Plimpton.

And, I agree with those who say, where is Community? And Fringe?

Chuck? White Collar? Castle? Those shows are fine lightweights, but I prefer the Emmys go to shows with a little more depth. Of the actors, I agree Nathan Fillion is most deserving of a nomination, but not moreso than the actors who actually did get a nomination.

I don’t agree with the Melissa McCarthy and Kathy Bates noms at all. Both are fine actresses, but their current television work isn’t their best.

18. Tahoe Mike says:

TREME got ignored, again ?!?!? Kandhi Alexander was breathtaking this season! This show is the best thing on TV, why is it getting no love??????

19. Jax says:

Oh MY GOD! I can’t believe that Mariska Hargitay is still getting nominated. Love her to death but she hasn’t deserved an Emmy nod for the past 3 years. And to have her on the list but not Segwick?!?!? WTF!!

20. LDSK says:

All I know is Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler are on the list. To H*** with everything else. I’m happy.

21. JohnDoe says:

Everyone has to remember, this is the Emmys. They try to stay as safe and boring as humanly possible.

22. JohnDoe says:

LOL@ the people that are actually serious about being mad because their favorite vampire show didn’t get nominated. Give me a break. I enjoy True Blood, but it’s junk-food entertainment.

23. Harmony says:

No Heather Morris? No Naya Rivera? No Max Adler? No Mike O’Mally? Why nottttttttt????????

• Jana says:

Because they really aren’t that great. And Glee simply isn’t funny. It’s entertaining but not a comedy.

24. D says:

I don’t how to feel. So much Justified love that I did not expect to come from the Academy; very pleasant surprised. And then, Weeds is snubbed all over again.

Really conflicted on whether to kiss or curse these people.

25. Rachel says:

Can I ask why or how Cloris Leachman is a guest star on Raising Hope? I thought she was part of the cast? Not that I love her on the show but still scratching head on that one

26. Amber says:

I’m going to jump the gun and pick my dream winners out of those nominated…

Friday Night Lights
    Two-way tie between Connie Britton and Elisabeth Moss
    Three-way tie between Kyle Chandler, Timothy Olyphant, and Jon Hamm (that category is too hard)
    Walton Goggins
    Margo Martindale (I think this one could really happen)
    Jeremy Davies (but will likely be Michael J. Fox, which I’m cool with)
    Julia Stiles
    Modern Family (should have been Community though!!)
    Amy Poehler
    Steve Carrell
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson (should have been Nick Offerman or Charlie Day)
    Julie Bowen
    Will Arnett
    Cloris Leachman
    Phil Keoghan
    DWTS
    Daily Show
    Mildred Pierce

27. PaulH says:

Louie, Emmys? Seriously? And to give this clown FOUR NOMINATIONS TO BOOT? Having Louis CK in this field diminishes the Emmys even more than they already are. It’s a crap show, pure and simple.

28. Melanie says:

I am actually fine with this list. My problem is that the same shows keep winning! Hello, Emmy Awards there are other shows on television besides ones found on HBO or other Premium channels!!!! Which, I am guessing not everyone gets with their cable package, including me. Ugh, can other good shows win like on NBC, FOX or ABC please?

29. Melanie says:

Also including other channels like TV Land in my comment above.

30. Hugh Laurie is amazing, and has been robed 5 times now. He really is the best TV actor today.Sorry your favor actor didn't get nominated, but let's be honest. says:

Hugh Laurie is amazing, and has been robbed 5 times already. He really is the best TV actor today, and he deserves his Emmy for its outstanding performance during all these years. Sorry your favor actor didn’t get nominated, but let’s be honest and not go against a great actor

• carla says:

Well said. Hugh Laurie is the best! Go Hugh!!

• Jana says:

I have to agree that he is a great actor. So they should just give him an emmy and get it over with so that other people can be nominated next year. Anyhow I think that his episode (where he cuts up his leg in the bathtube) was one of the best (and mostly creepiest) episodes this TV season.

• alisonfaith297 says:

while i have to agree that he is an amazing, wonderful, phenomenal, wonderful, awesome actor, i have to disagree with his 2011 emmy nom. i know he totally deserves one after deserving one for previous rounds. but the point of emmy, is only looking at what happen this past tv season. and with all due respect, his performance in the last season was not as good as the previous, and just lemme say i can think of a few other actors who deserves that spot more. well let me finish by saying, i understand that you are supporting him by saying that you dont want anyone to go against him. but can we be in agreement that everyone has a right to voice their opinion and i am not like forbidding you from saying not to go against him, but i just wanted to have a say.

31. Sharla says:

YES! Go Hugh! I love Hugh Laurie. Such a wonderful actor!!

32. Rich says:

“The Middle” is at least as (for me more)funny as all the other comedies mentioned. It deserved some recognition.

33. Ashley says:

OMG?! Where’s Emily Deschanel?!?!?! She deserved at the very least a nomination.

34. smith says:

still do not understand why mariska hargitay gets nominated year after year after year. surely there were far more outstanding performances this year from any of the women on parenthood, brothers and sisters or grey’s anatomy. kadee strickland should have gotten a nod for her work this season on private practice. and come on, courtney cox was snubbed year after year for friends and again for cougar town. tina fey may be a great writer but she’s a horrible actress, give her the writing nod and let some other more talented actress get her slot as actress. she is the reason why i can’t watch 30 rock.

35. Taylor says:

Shameless should have gotten more nods and community, nph, and emily deschanel all got snubbed. Glee was awful this season I lost interest half way thru the season

36. ilona says:

the list is ok but where is Lisa Edelstein???? she was great at House this sesons! too bed!

37. dudaynibarney says:

NO NPH or JASON SEGEL ?? come on EMMY ?? you’ve got to be kidding me .. i mean come on .. please tell us that your going to release another set of nominees // which will include this two !

38. Tagrid says:

The snubs this year are horrific! But the worst is not nominating RuPaul’s Drag Race – one of the greatest, most entertaining reality shows on TV! And RuPaul herself is one of the greatest hosts. It should’ve AT LEAST been nominated!

39. BillK says:

It is long past time for them to institute a one nomination per show per category rule. As much as I love Modern Family you can’t have the entire cast up of a single award.

40. Hannah says:

Sigh. Really? Not one dang nom for anything Castle? Stana alone deserves an Emmy for her performance in (especially) the finale AND the whole series! She’s AMAZING. Nathan is deserving too! Sigh. I give up on all the awards crap. Maybe next year. At least Kyle Chandler is recognized, but I’ve never seen FNL(don’t have the channel) but I LOVED him on Early Edition.

• Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic are the best actors ever, no one can tell me different. says:

Castle. Yes. Best actors EVER! Nathan Fillion is HOTTTT

41. Felicia says:

so happy for cat and her emmy nod. well deserved and super long overdue

42. Crystal says:

How I Met Your Mother? Nothing? I’m really surprised n disappointed.

43. Cailey says:

7 nominations for The Good Wife? OMG, I’m in heaven. I hope Josh Charles gets it. ( :

44. Cailey says:

And I hope the winners are:
    The Good Wife
    Julianna Margulies
    Josh Charles
    Christine Baranski
    Micheal J Fox
    And then anybody else. ( :

45. naked.heat389 says:

I-m glad for all the noms of The Good Wife, Cat Deeley and Timothy Olyphant…

But no NPH, Jason Segel?
    No John Noble, Anna Torv?
    No The Walking Dead?
    No Sean Bean?
    *sigh*

46. alisonfaith297 says:

wow, whole lotta glee, modern family and mad men noms…
    to be honest, i dont think glee deserves to get a nom for best comedy, first of all, the second season was so bad compared to the last one and furthermore, i dont even find my self laughing during the show. (i’m really sorry for those gleeks out there, i love glee but this time in dont think they deserved it)as for the actors noms for glee, i think they all deserve it especially chris colfer.
    MF: to be completely honest and biased (if tat even makes sense), i think modern family deserves all of them. i just love the show so much, never fails to brighten my day ;D but to be putting aside my love for MF, i have to say, might have been a little overated.
    as for mad men, really awesome show but also so overated.
    if i could say this and not to be insulting to any of the emmy people, but i think the entire show is rigged, i mean looking at the noms, makes you wonder if they even gave other shows a thought or even watch other shows, i mean think about it, a person has like 24hrs a day, with sleep and all other basic needs, how much time can one person spend on tv? so therefore, i somehow just think that this show is rigged.

47. Volcfom says:

The fact that Busy Phillips won the Critic’s Choice Award and doesn’t even get a nod is completely ridiculous.

48. CJS says:

OUTSTANDING DRAMA-Friday Night Lights
    OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA -Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights
    OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A DRAMA- Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights

49. jvassalo says:

Where tha *WASSACAMANAGO* is Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson’s *HULALA* nomination? Are you *AYCARARAMBA* kidding me??

50. Kate says:

I’m so sick of shows like The Good Wife, Glee, Modern Family and 30 Rock ALWAYS GETTING NOMINATED. Why not give other amazing shows, like Criminal Minds and its actors a chance?! CM has only ever been nominated for an Emmy twice. The Good Wife is nominated for 9 Emmys JUST this year. COME ON.