Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2011: Mad Men, Boardwalk and Modern Family Lead the Pack

Get More: Awards, Emmys, News

Nominations for the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards were announced on Thursday, and AMC’s Mad Men has something to drink to, leading all series with 19 total nods. HBO’s Boardwalk Empire placed second with 18, while ABC’s Modern Family netted 17. Overall, HBO’s Mildred Pierce miniseries was the most-recognized piece of programming, with 21 noms.

Network-versus-network, HBO dominated with 104 nominations. Rounding out the Top 5 were CBS (50), NBC (46), PBS (43) and Fox (42).

Here now, the nominees in all the major categories. Your job, as fellow TV enthusiasts, is to hit the comments with euphoria… or outrage. (But err on the side of euphoria, ‘K?)

Emmy Nominations 2011: Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements

Emmy Nominations 2011: TVLine Names the 21 Biggest Snubs!

OUTSTANDING DRAMA

Julia Stiles, Dexter
Loretta Devine, Grey’s Anatomy
Randee Heller, Man Men
Cara Buono, Mad Men
Joan Cusack, Shameless
Alfre Woodard, True Blood

This Year’s Emmy Nominees React! See Who Said What!

OUTSTANDING COMEDY

Kristin Chenoweth, Glee
Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
Gwyneth Paltrow, Glee
Cloris Leachman, Raising Hope
Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live
Elizabeth Banks, 30 Rock

Video: Joel McHale Preps Melissa McCarthy For Emmy Nomination Day!

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST

Cinema Verite, HBO
Downton Abbey, PBS
The Kennedys, ReelzChannel
Mildred Pierce, HBO
The Pillars of the Earth, Starz
Too Big To Fail, HBO

The complete list of Emmy nominations can be found at Emmys.com.

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 18, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. Fox is broadcasting this year’s show, with Glee Emmy winner Jane Lynch serving as host.

Tags:

Comments (327)

• Sad about no nominations for Parenthood. So many great actors/performances and just a great show all around. Ecstatic that FNL finally got nominated, though I imagine it won’t win against all the cable noms.

Comment by Alicia – July 14, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Justified, pity it didn’t make Outstanding Drama and where are Fringe and Communtiy!! Come on!

Comment by Liz – July 14, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cat Deeley gets a nomination! All is right with the world.

Comment by Angela – July 14, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community gets nothing! seriously no best comedy, best actor,best supporting actor ….nothing! and glee which had the worst season ever gets a nod…what a shame.

Comment by ruby – July 14, 2011 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again Katey Sagal, Courtney Cox and John Noble are snubbed.

Would also have liked to see The Walking Dead get some kind of recognition and Jason Segel get a nod for his work on HIMYM this season.

But happy to see Michelle Forbes get nominated. Totally deserved.
    I was also happily surprised to see Alfre Woodard getting recognition for her work on True Blood.

Comment by Mick – July 14, 2011 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The comedy nominations are a joke, and not a good one. NOTHING for “Community”? It’s one of the best shows on television right now and definitely one – if not THE – best comedy; and all of the actors and actresses could have been nominated and deserved it. And no Jason Segel for as Best Supporting Actor on HIMYM? He hit it out of the park this year!

Comment by Ashley – July 14, 2011 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s the deal with no John Noble or Anna Torv nominations? Geez. SNUBBED! AGAIN!

Comment by Fringe Talk Blog – July 14, 2011 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I suggest elsewhere that it may have to do with them bot being Australian, not belonging to the incrwod of Hollywood,like other Australians.

Or just may be: Anna Torv and John Noble are too good, they are scared to nominate them, in the case of Anna Torv she would compete against actresses who do not have a decent episode to submit and she has too many, that could win an Emmy each.
      Is I would be one of the nimnated above, especually Enos, Hagarty and Bates, I would be very much ashamed to be on that list, bit like Perabo at the Golden Globes.

Well from what I learned of Anna Torv so far, this will not get her down, she will just show them who really is the outstanding actress drama.

Comment by guest – July 14, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bit of hasty typing: what I meant was that any of the actresses above know that the one who should have won has been tricked out of competition, namely Anna Torv.

Comment by guest – July 14, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Timothy Olyphant, Justified, and all nods for The Good Wife!

Comment by MGl – July 14, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that Downton Abbey received a nomination as a miniseries? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it got some recognition–but it’s coming back with a second series? Is it just in that category because it was broadcasted through masterpiece theater? I’m a little puzzled.

Comment by Jessi – July 14, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess it’s because first season only had 7 episodes. I think it needs 10 to considered as Series. The same to Luther, btw.

Comment by Teresa – July 14, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • US and British TV look at series and miniseries differently; I think Teresa is right about the 10-episode rule. So a longer Materpiece Theatre run would allow for Emmy eligibility (for instance, “Upstairs Downstairs” won many Emmys in the 1970s.)

Comment by Amy – July 14, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Dinklage. Cat Deeley. “So You Think You Can Dance”. Martha Plimpton. “Modern Family”. “Conan”. My morning is now complete.

Comment by Vivi – July 14, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many worthy people were overlooked, so instead of griping, I’m just going to say YAY for nominations for Cat and SYTYCD! :)

Comment by Aprilcot26 – July 14, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read “Supporting Actor in Comedy Series” and I wonder if it’s a joke. O_O

Anyway… on of the best TV of the year didn´t get anything: treme.

Emmys sucks, as usually.

Comment by Teresa – July 14, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe John Noble and Anna Torv didn’t receive a nomination, IMHO (but I dare too say in many’s opinion) this is just outrageous!!
    Fringe has been completely IGNORED AGAIN!

Comment by Vittoria – July 14, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so tired of Fringe never getting nominations. Seriously John Noble should have an Emmy.

Comment by Amanda – July 14, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, Bones & Emily got screwed as usual. *sigh*

Comment by Sarah – July 14, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Parenthood? So disappointed. Lauren Graham and Mae Whitman are two of my favorites.

Comment by Libby – July 14, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick Offerman, you’re the best supporting actor in comedy series at least in my heart.

Comment by Teresa – July 14, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No nominations for Community? are they serious? So disappointing. (especially while Glee is nominated…)
    Glad (and surprised) to see Hugh Laurie there. He’s a wonderful actor, but this season was so crappy. He’s ever gonna win this, I guess

Comment by N – July 14, 2011 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PO’d!!! Where is Kadee Strickland from Private Practice and Sara Ramirez from Grey’s Anatomy? And where are all the amazing actors and actresses from Cougar Town and Community. As a die-hard fan of Glee, all their nominations infuriate me. Season 2 was worthless. I am not thrilled about any of this at all. Glad Loretta Devine got a nod though.

Comment by Kristina – July 14, 2011 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy about the noms for Steve Carell, Friday Night Lights and Downton Abbey.
    Disappointed no nom for John Noble.

Comment by Nicky C – July 14, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO HAPPY for Cat Deeley and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon for finally getting some love!

Comment by brandy – July 14, 2011 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Fringe, no HIMYM, no Community and no Castle, which were four of the best shows on TV this year. I mean, Modern Family got FOUR of the six supporting comedic actor nominations? Really? And NPH, who I thought did some of his best work on HIMYM this year, goes unrecognised again. Travesty. The only things I’m actually happy about are all the love for The Good Wife, and Peter Dinklage’s nomination.

Comment by Mirren – July 14, 2011 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Andre Braugher on Men of a Certain Age, not Andrew.

Comment by Ryan – July 14, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt LeBlanc got a nom for lead actor in a comedy, over William H.Macy!? o_O…wtf

Comment by @ROBatGraveShift – July 14, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SHAMELESS falls under DRAMA category.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 14, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why episodes even GOT a nomination i have no idea…

Comment by J – July 14, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • your glee has already stolen a lot and you still ask for more?!

Comment by gleeisathiefagain – July 14, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they got Josh Jackson to announce the Emmy nods, but didn’t nominate his show for anything? Wow…dick move.

Comment by JohnDoe – July 14, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it is more like a hahaha, do not complain that we do not give Fringe attention, we justslap you in the face and laugh again.

What I fear they may do is forcing Anna to do some presenting when the thing is broadcast, that would be really disgusting.

Comment by guest – July 14, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can think of only 2 reasons THE KENNEDYS would have scored a nomination:

1) There weren’t enough candidates, and every miniseries was nominated.
    2) Lots and lots of cash.

Comment by John Berggren – July 14, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH for Friday Night Lights, Justified and So You Think You Can Dance!!

Finally I agree with some of the choices!!

Comment by Renee – July 14, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely over the moon to see Friday Night Lights nom for Best Drama and acting for Kyle and Connie! I hope this show pulls off huge upsets!! Also happy to see Justified and The Good Wife get some love!! Thrilled for Melissa McCarthy too! LOVE her and loved her reaction!!

Comment by Monica – July 14, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy for Josh Charles! :)

Comment by Sietsx – July 14, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Justified getting so many nods. Tim Olyphant is simply superb in the role. I imagine he’ll be overlooked though by the more populist dramas. Shame.
    Glee stinks this season and has no right being there.
    Game of thrones deserves to win a biggie, just because it has been so very original, but it won’t. Would truly dance with joy if Peter Dinklage picks up something. He is doing marvellous things in GoT and his character (and interpretation) is one of the best things on TV over the past 12 months.
    Fringe should be there. Mad Men – same old, same old. Interesting the kind of roles John Hamm is taking to try to break away from MM these days.

All in all, some good nods, but I’ll be surprised if I’m celebrating much when the winners are announced.

Comment by Fudgefase – July 14, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What?!?! No NPH or How I Met Your Mother?! Shame on you! At least Chris Colfer deserves to be there, but c’mon, NPH!!!

Comment by Heather – July 14, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy Parks and Recreation got some love!! BUT NICK OFFERMAN. WHERE IS HIS NOD?!

Comment by Lucy Marie – July 14, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Mireille Enos and Michelle Forbes nominations for The Killing. Sad because Kyra Sedgwick didnt, she won last year, I know, but being the last season of The Closer, I think she should’ve been considered. Congratulations to Mary McDonell.

Comment by nitemar – July 14, 2011 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Mary McDonnell at least wins best guest actress in a drama. Super pissed the Fringe didn’t get nominated at all.

Comment by Kate – July 14, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously cannot believe how much Community was robbed this year. Not like I didn’t expect it though. And I’m a Glee fan, but there is no way that second season made it worthy of an emmy nomination for best comedy. When I watch community, I almost tear up from laughing each episode. When I watch glee, I like to watch to see them sing and then laugh occasionally at certain comments. It is not a comedy, it is some sort of musical dramedy type program that just took the spot of a more well deserving show. And Joel McHale was significantly snubbed for a best actor nom. Pisses me off. The only good thing is that Parks and rec was finally noticed! Even though I do think Nick Offerman was snubbed also.

Comment by Liz – July 14, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch any of those shows except Dancing with the stars once in a while. so I really don’t care who wins or loses because my shows are never nominated.

Comment by Helen – July 14, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You need to watch better TV, darling.

Comment by Sal – July 14, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Emmy watching here. I don’t even watch (or give a crap about) almost every show on here. And what is up with a single show filling almost all the spots in a category. Here’s an idea…maybe max out any given show at 2 noms per category so that great underrated shows like Fringe maybe get a chance.

Comment by Ab – July 14, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so thrilled! There are some disappointments (no Fringe or Parenthood love), but there are MANY things I’m happy to see!! FNL for Outstanding Drama Series – finally!! And CAT DEELEY and SYTYCD!!!!!! That is waaaaay overdue. That show has been far better than American Idol for years and it is finally getting some recognition. Oh and I’m thrilled for Jimmy Fallon as well. Love him!!

Comment by Saracen Riggins – July 14, 2011 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While there is A LOT to be pleased with here I have to say the two noms that made me smile the most are Alan Cumming for The Good Wife and Louis C.K for Louie (a gem of a show which I just discovered).

Comment by Allison – July 14, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm…I think Grey’s noms are missing from a few categories there……

Comment by Karen – July 14, 2011 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There isn’t a single nom in the Drama categories that makes even the slightest bit of sense!!!!!!!

Comment by Karen – July 14, 2011 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol what? Have you been watching greys recently…. Hasn’t deserved a nomination for a couple seasons now

Comment by M – July 14, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MARY MCDONNELL….ABOUT FRAKKING TIME!

Comment by Jessica – July 14, 2011 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No true Blood nomination? WTF??? Best show on television!

Comment by Bea – July 14, 2011 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go DEADLIEST CATCH. Last season of this show was one of the best OF ANY tv series EVER. And finally, Cat deeley!

Comment by Intelliwoman – July 14, 2011 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unbelievable. Again, Fringe gets no respect as do its excellent cast & crew. I am not watching the Emmys. Again. I refuse to. I am boycotting. Boo & shame on you.

Comment by Pamela – July 14, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andrew Friggin Braugher over John Noble? What a joke. No Parenthood love? Not surprised but that totally negates everything. No Nick Offerman for supporting? But they give Jon Cryer a nod? Absolutely ridiculous. Also a little disappointed Courteney Cox got no love for Cougartown. Other than I’m sort of on board, but I was hoping for more Fringe love this year. They just had to give the stale Mariska Hargitay ANOTHER nod and leave out Anna Torv. And Kathy Bates? Really? That show is just awful. On the plus side. Cat Deeley finally getting a nod is nice. Parks and Rec, Amy Poehler and Laura Linney I’m very pleased with. But Melissa McCarthy over Courteney is just nonsense.

Comment by ListsAndGrades – July 14, 2011 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad for all ”The Good Wife” nominations. I deeply hope Julianne Marguilles will win but I highly doubt it since she is deeply unlucky with the emmy’s. It’s a shame Kyra Sedgwick didn’t make the cut thought! She deserved the nomination. Archie Panjabi deserves the emmy win but since she won last year I could live with the price going to someone else. Alan Cumming, however, just HAS to win, he was AMAZING!

Glad Melissa McCarthy got nominated thought! So amazing. Love her since the GG days althought I never got over the fact Lauren Graham never got nominated. Neither did Alexis Bledel. Shame. I will hope Melissa will win, but again…I highly doubt it.

Comment by Ingmar – July 14, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so retarded. Who votes for thede nominations
    Josh Charles is not an actor, John
    Noble is. Please. The Emmy’s have no
    cred left. It’s sad that popular
    shows get noms but really talented
    actors get nothing.

Comment by nikki – July 14, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The bad: No John Noble? No Anna Torv? No Community? No Vincent Kartheiser?

The good: FNL! Justified! And above all — IDA BLANKENSHIP!

Comment by Amy – July 14, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoo Hoo!!! Cat Deeley gets some love!!! She is the best host, hands down!!

Comment by Laura – July 14, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post