Emmys

Emmy Nominees React! Who Said What?

Emmy nominations morning is a very exciting morning for those who learn that they’re competing in TV’s Big Show. They get the news from unexpected sources — and most often at ungodly hours! — and the occasional actor might even wake the baby with their jubilation! From there on, they tumble down the rabbit hole into a day full of praise, elation and, yes, personal disbelief.

Here are the reactions from this year’s nominees (detailed here) that TVLine has collected thus far — keep checking back for more!

More Emmys 2011 Coverage on TVLine.com: Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements | The 21 Biggest Snubs!

1. Em says:

Idris Elba is hot and adorable at the same time. Can never see that man enough.

2. archie says:

I’m waiting for Julianna Margulies, Josh Charles and Timothy Olyphant reactions.

• Alicia says:

SO happy for Josh Charles. Last year I was like “WTF??” when he was overlooked while Chris Noth received the acclaim. Glad the Emmys at least have straightened that out.

3. Nadine says:

No nominations for Nick Offerman or Adam Scott, yet JON CRYER AND CHRIS COLFER ARE NOMINATED? What a disgrace. Also don’t even get me started on how Julia Stiles was nominated and Jennifer Carpenter wasn’t, the Emmys disgust me.

• NickC says:

I agree with everything you said except Stiles.I never liked her b4 but her role on Dexter change my view.She was great..Jennifer Carpenter is SO over looked.I love her.

• Elizabeth says:

Seriously, Nick Offerman passed up and every single male actor on Modern Family gets a nom?!?! Ugh. Ticks me off. Offerman as Ron Swanson is comedy gold. And he delivers every single time! So not happy about him being overlooked. Although I’m THRILLED the show & Amy Poehler were nominated!

• Jana says:

Everyone knows why Jon Cryer was nominated. Because of how his professionalism in how he handled the Sheen situation. That’s why he is nominted.

4. J.Norman says:

Hugh Laurie should have won at least one of these in the past.
    However, the storyline of the show itself has become so unrealistic . . no make that asinine. . .that it will probably hurt his changes again.
    Nevertheless, if you look at his acting as a separate factor from the material at hand, he should finally get his emmy.

• Sam says:

TBH, he didn’t really deserve to be nominated this year (though in the past it was warranted). The academy just resorts to nominating old standbys. But he’ll have to sacrifice a bunch of virgins to the volcano gods if actually expects to win.

• mars says:

I AGREE! I’m still a fairly devoted House fan, watching every new episode within a week and buying the DVDs for rewatching, but the stories are getting more and more ridiculous. Nonetheless, Hugh Laurie’s acting surpasses the quagmire of crappy writing…

• Alicia says:

Unfortunately for Hugh performances don’t exist in a vacuum. And none of the other best actor nominees are on crap shows, so he’s actually pretty fortunate in that regard, but context can’t be ignored.

• Tania says:

::sigh:: Clearly Alicia, mars, Sam and J.Norman were all locked in an alternate universe during Season 7.

• Flynn says:

Actually it makes what Hugh Laurie does even more extraordinary bacause those other actors are on shows where the writing hasn’t been as uneven as on House.

5. Liz says:

Uhm love that Chris Colfer & the boys of Big bang but what about Kaley or Busy Phillips. To of the most underrated actress

6. Hanna says:

Serious, Bones should really get a nomination! Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz are both amazing actors who really deserves Emmys. I really hoped that after 6 years they would finally get a nomination.. But no, not this time.. :(

• joanne says:

yeah…. i’m so sad! first of all, Emily Deschanel, but then the show deserved an emmy. because the storyline is good and the actors are amazing (i have a girl crush on Emily LOL, and a super crush on David xD). watch the show emmy and you will know what we’re talking about. because it’s clear that you watch only the most famous tv shows and not the best… -.-‘

7. Cass says:

One day I’d like Jensen Ackles to be on a show that’s not CW related so that the “mainstream” will notice that he is a brilliant actor and deserves to be nominated for an Emmy..

8. Lila says:

Hugh Laurie really deserves an Emmy.

• ripzu says:

Hugh Lauire deserves the Emmy more tham any actor on T.V. IMO. Thought some viewers were unhappy with season 7, Hugh’s acting still was stellar – which illustrates how excellent he is and how much he deserves the Emmy- his sixth nomination- doesn’t that say something?
      Wake up judges!

• Carol says:

The judges are awake they just don’t know a good show when they see one like House M.D. Hugh deserves an Emmy this year. Academy members make 2011 the year Hugh wins a Emmy, make it worth while for the other actors to come out to hear his funny acceptance speech he’ll give holding up the statuette he so deserves.

• Patricia says:

I agree ripzu, Hugh Laurie IMO is the best actor on TV. He has so many chalenges with his role, and he plays his role brilliantly. I think now more than anything he should get his emmy. Season 8 could very well be his last. So yeah judges wake up!!

• Thomas says:

I like how TVLine editorialized his comment to include that he’s 0 for 6.
      That added context lets the academy know JUST who they should vote for…

• Alicia says:

That’s rather interesting considering none of the other nominees received an aside. Like it doesn’t mention that this is Kyle Chandler’s last year of eligibility for FNL (since the show is done).
        Way to keep that objectivity, Mitovich.

9. THEdarkLORDwillCONQUERyou says:

WHAAAAT?!?!?! NO EMILY DESCHANEL????? NO BONES???? SHAME ON YOU EMMY… LET ME TELL YOU, YOU’RE PATHETIC!

10. BarbaraGleek says:

Yeah!! Chris Colfer!!
    Congratulations!!

11. Maria says:

Mariska Hargitay should be embarrassed at her repeated nominations. She hasn’t deserved one for the last 3 years at least. Does her name just come up as a default on their list?

• xav says:

They didn’t want to put Anna Torv there because she’s on a ‘sci-fi’ show so they went for their old standby Mariska.

• guest says:

I so agree, they were just afraid of nominating Anna Torv, she would win.

The nominations are done by the acting incrowd,being Hollywood, choosing the winner is done by volunteers across the board.

• Momof3 says:

What planet are U living on? MH is a great actress and advocate for battered women and children.She deserves every nomination she gets. You should be ashamed to for writing such garbage.

12. Ava says:

I’m so pumped for Peter Dinklage. He was fantastic in GOT. And all the Justified and Modern Family people!

13. M says:

Since FNL was nominated as Best Drama, does that mean the whole cast can reunite together at the awards? That would be incredible for them – so well deserved. Why it took this long to be recognized is beyond me but the Emmys always are unexplainable – why was Jon Cryer again nominated (wish they would just end that show already) but Nick Offerman and Neil Patrick Harris were not?

• Mars says:

Esp. Nick Offerman! I’m happy Parks & Rec got best comedy nom and amy poehler got her dues, but Ron Swanson is freakin’ hilarious!!!

14. L says:

I’m so unbelievably happy for FNL. They’ve deserved these nominations since season one! Rooting for them through and through. I really wish Kaley Cuoco, Busy Phillips, Nick Offerman and NPH were nominated as well, but I’m too happy about Friday Night Lights to dwell on that!

15. Eliza says:

I am so HAPPY for Timothy Olyphant and Walt Goggins it’s not even funny!

Love them both!!!! They’re extremely talented actors.

• TOFAN says:

I agree, Tim’s so overdue, I guess as a father of 3 who’s married to the same women for 20 years, who keeps his private life private is not what people want…Walton is great in this show, hope he and Margo get Emmy’s.

16. Culby says:

Any word from Peter Dinklage? He’s got to be PUMPED.

17. Mandy says:

This is Hugh Laurie’s year. John Hamm will give him tough competition, but I think he can finally pull it off.

18. elena9kir says:

Good luck, Mr. Laurie!

19. Sharee Teegarden says:

Great job Friday Night Lights ,Connie Britton, Kyle Chandler, and all of those amazing writers! Best cast and crew in the world EVER

• I thought Aimee should have received a nomination in the supporting actress catagory. Her scenes this year were so realistic and isn’t that what good acting is?
      In fact, I’m not sure why none of the FNL supporting actors are ever in the consideration. They are all fantastic! Michael B. Jordan and the actress who Becky (blanking on her name) are the best of the new crop.

20. Amy says:

So very happy for Parks and Recreation, FNL, Big Bang Theory, and Modern Family (I blame Jon Cryer on Nick Offerman’s omission!)

21. Carrie says:

I’m really happy about FNL, “Modern Family”, “Justified”, “The Killing”, “Parks and Rec”, “Conan”, “The Office”, SYTYCD, Mary McDonnell & Betty White. All wonderful shows and wonderful people that deserved to be nominated. *Fingers crossed for FNL*

22. Jessica says:

Go Mary McDonnell!!!!

23. Jean says:

Happy beyond belief for FNL and TGW, but also for Amy Pohler and Parks&Rec (bad, bad Emmy for Nick Offerman’s inexplicable omission). I love Modern Family, but I think their numerous nominations is overkill–Emmy should spread the joy around.

Which reminds me–why is there not an ensemble award? Didn’t there used to be, or am I thinking of a different award?

Yay for Martha Plimpton!

Just give Hugh Laurie his Emmy already (though I love all the actors in the Lead Actor/Drama category).

Mariska Hargitay? Really? If Emmy wants to give more love to procedurals, that’s fine–there’s good in every genre–but I’m with the Bones contingent here. This should’ve been Emily Deschanel’s slot. But I’m rooting for Julianna or Connie.

No Community. No Fringe. I know Emmy can’t please everybody, but this is ridiculous.

24. Sarah says:

YEAH CAT DEELEY! I am pleased with several other, but she is the best reality host on TV and I am so THRILLED she is nominated!!!!

25. CurryFan says:

I’m so proud of Edgar Ramírez! I know most of the commenters on this site are American viewers and probably not very familiar with Edgar, but he’s the first Venezuelan actor to get an Emmy nom, and as a fellow Venezuelan I couldn’t be more thrilled. He’s worked very hard considering how little support there is for truly good acting in our country and how very hard it is for our actors to cross the geographical and language barriers. Congrats Edgar!!!

26. Pearl says:

I know that, maybe, some of you won’t understand, but…

MATT LE BLANC WAS NOMINATED!!!

How great is that?
    I never expected it. Even taht i love his charcter in Episodes. Was so genious and it’s such a sarcastic and acid humor show. I allways loved him, and i’m glad that he finally got this kind of knowledge in a part that isnt just about “how are you going”.

27. Emma says:

Biggest snub on the comedy front?

How I Met Your Mother, as well as Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Siegel (sp?) for BSA.

28. So many of Kyle Chandler’s fans are celebrating with him right now. BRAVO! BRAVO!

We are hoping for a WIN! WIN! WIN! Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton and “Friday Night Lights”.

Kyle Chandler is a wonderful actor and a wonderful man. CONGRATULATIONS on your Emmy Nomination Kyle!

Best Looking…Best Actor…Kyle Chandler!
    Jayne

29. Lauren says:

Come on Hugh, this is your year!!!! The fact that he has now been nominated 6 times in the past 7 years just shows how much he deceived this. Admittedly House is not as good as it was a couple of years ago, but Hugh Laurie’s acting has been consistently superb throughout the whole 7 years. And if that isn’t a good enough reason why he should win, his acceptance speeches are hilarious!
    GO HUGH!!!!!!!!!!

30. Jade.P says:

Hugh Laurie!!! Love that man, such an awesome actor. Just think, he walks with a limp(which is not there), he fools us with an american accent(which is cool since he’s British and all), overall, plays the role of a misanthropic, evil genius and the fact that he has kept House going for 7 seasons(with the eight just around the corner) and that’s just the beginning of the list of reasons why Hugh should win and should’ve won years ago. Who else could possibly measure up to his high class acting skills. Go Hugh!!!