Comic-Con

USA Network Bosses Share (Some) Secrets of Their Sustained Success - Plus Psych Scoop!

If it’s getting hot out by you this time of year, know that it’s nothing compared to the  summer USA Network is having.

With White Collar as criminally good as ever, Covert Affairs and Burn Notice serving up irresistible spy games, and the new Suits fitting great on the schedule, the cabler is having a moment. But as USA co-presidents Jeff Wachtel and Chris McCumber point out, it’s the aggregate nature of multiple moments like this that enable the network to trumpet “unprecedented” success and “historic” ratings weeks.

TVLine spoke with the USA bosses, inviting them to survey their ever-expanding slate, cop to a recent risky gamble, size up the competition, and assess the state of the brand. Plus: What’s their message for the passionate — and patient! — Psych fans out there?

TVLINE | You’re coming off a rather impressive week – White Collar and Covert Affairs hit season highs, other returning shows showed gains, and Necessary Roughness and Suits both demonstrated strong retention from their premieres. What’s the mood there? Much back-patting?
CHRIS MCCUMBER | We’re feeling good. We have seven series [including In Plain Sight, Royal Pains and Burn Notice] on the air at the same time, so it’s just a matter of making sure was can continue this momentum. This is the first time the network has launched two new scripted series within a week of each other, and the volume [of programming] we have, we’ve never had before.
JEFF WACHTEL | The other thing that’s really exciting for us is the notion of sustained success. Not only is it seven series at the same time, but they’re series in different parts of their life cycle. Burn Notice came back in its fifth season as strong as it was in its first, creatively and in the ratings. White Collar, going into its third season, literally has never been better. Then you have these shows coming out of the gate, like Suits and Necessary Roughness, both of which are performing above expectations. So, it’s not back-patting, no. It’s more a sigh of relief.

Scoop: Burn Notice Spies Charisma Carpenter

TVLINE | Is there one success story you’re especially proud of?
WACHTEL |
One thing that is almost beyond belief is in a world where one in every four shows that launches is successful, we have now – knock wood for Suits and Necessary – nine shows in a row [including Psych and Fairly Legal] that have launched successfully. Chris and I love what we do, and I think we’re pretty good at what we do, but I don’t know that’s ever been done before. Life is not perfect — Albert Pujols strikes out – but the fact that nine in a row have come out of the gate is testimony to the creative and marketing teams here, and the spectacular original vision of the shows.
MCCUMBER | Jeff and I look at each other every time before we launch a show and go, “Could this be the one that might not make it?” But we have confidence that everyone on the team has put every ounce they have into it. Everyone has a vested interest in seeing these succeed.

TVLINE | What would you say is the biggest risk you’ve taken as of late? A moment where you sensed you were flying a bit out of your comfort zone?
WACHTEL |
Almost every time we do something, we feel that. [July 12] is the ninth anniversary of the premiere of Monk, and we remember senior management telling us back then, “You guys are crazy. USA is the network of Walker, Texas Ranger and JAG – no one is going to watch this show. Its too quirky, too idiosyncratic.” So Monk was a big swing. When we did Burn Notice, we were very nervous because we had The Starter Wife as the lead-in, so we were going from the back lot of Hollywood with Debra Messing to a back room in Nigeria with Jeffrey Donovan getting the s— kicked out of him! And right now, we think Suits is a staged risk, an incremental risk, but it’s a great show.
MCCUMBER | We’ve built this base of an audience that has an expectation about what a USA show is, and that’s what the brand is, so the risk we take is a calculated one. With Suits, you’ve got two characters who frankly you wouldn’t have seen on USA four or five years ago. One is a closer lawyer who’s not all that likeable at first, and the other guy’s been busted for selling pot. We push out against the brand while making sure you’re not alienating the base but growing it.

Scoop! Mad Men Alumna Suits Up for USA Network Series

TVLINE | Do you find yourself programming to compete with the broadcast slate, or against fellow cablers, like TNT?
MCCUMBER
| We think everyone is competition.
WACHTEL | We don’t think much about [cable rivals]. Look, you never know what’s going to happen, but we feel like we’ve lapped the field. We program from our gut with things that we really, really like ourselves; we program when we hear an original voice that does something in a different way; and we program to be true to our audience, which is what matters.
MCCUMBER | We start the discussion about every show the same way we did 10 years ago: “Do we love this? Is it something we believe in?” So it’s not about the competition but finding shows you love, finding them a great home on the network, and nurturing them year after year.

TVLINE | What percent of a show’s success do you attribute to the casting, versus concept?
WACHTEL |
If I might, it would be casting versus writing; the concept is insignificant. The writer is almost half, and the cast is the other half. There’s a little bit about the concept, but it’s almost the excuse for the show to take place.

TVLINE | Speaking of casting: Any interesting anecdotes from over the years? Someone who lobbied hard for a role, anyone that came in from left field at the 11th hour…?
WACHTEL |
[Necessary Roughness star] Callie Thorne is a wonderful casting story because our studio, our producers, were probably thinking it’d be nice to have a well-known actress. But one thing as a network we do is believe that TV makes stars; stars don’t make TV. And Callie is somebody who kind of came up through the system. She had been a guest star on three of our shows, so it was fun to find somebody who we knew from direct experience as a brilliant character actor on Royal Pains, Burn Notice, and a very sexy turn on White Collar.

For USA’s Necessary Roughness, Envelope-Pushing Sexiness ‘Was Always the Plan’

TVLINE | “Characters Welcome” is about six years old now. Would you say your brand is as cemented as those of FX or AMC? Maybe more so?
MCCUMBER
| Absolutely. When we look at the response our audience has to new shows, they already know what the brand is and they can tell us if a show fits into that brand. Even more importantly, when they hear about new show on USA, we hear them say, “Frankly, I don’t now much about this, but I know the brand, so I’m more likely to check it out.” That’s the real opportunity for you.

TVLINE | I’ve visited several of your shows’ sets, and the atmosphere is pretty much across the board happy, light. Is that reflective of USA’s “blue sky” mantra, or did you luck out with pleasant showrunners and cast?
WACHTEL |
It does speak to the world that we’re trying to create here, as business leaders. We are in this fortunate place of being able to pick and choose who we want to be in business with, and in that equation talent had better always be greater than ego. Doing a television series is a long-term thing, and we’re going for it on every one of our shows, so you better put together a team that can function well over time.

TVLINE | You’ve been spending some coin sending Covert Affairs on location, to great affect, to Paris, Istanbul…. How did you make the numbers work, when other shows don’t seem to make the effort?
WACHTEL |
We’d tell you, but then we’d have to kill you. [Laughs] Look, [executive producers] Doug Liman and Dave Bartis are the team behind Covert, and Doug knows how to make $100 million movies like Mr. & Mrs. Smith and he knows how to make independent movies like Go. He’s just brilliant, and they have figured out how to do it., Yes, we spend a little more money on Covert than on most of our other shows, but that’s in part because there’s a huge international appeal and the international market supports it.

Psych Pscoop: Jennifer Finnigan Cast as Bonnie to Jason Priestley’s Clyde

TVLINE | The Psych fans I see commenting on TVLine seem to be feeling a bit strung along – they didn’t get a summer premiere date, and the “fall” timetable is vague. What can you say to appease them?
MCCUMBER
| Here’s your scoop: We can confirm the month of October.
WACHTEL | The Psych fans are probably our most vocal and passionate fans, and I promise you we we’ll be giving them lots of goodies from now leading up to the premiere in October, including the appearance at Comic-Con, where we’re going to have a special surprise premiere of something. Believe me, we’re working hard to be sure they get little bits of their show and try to satisfy them as much as possible, because we know they have to wait a bit longer. It will be well worth the wait.

TVLINE | Will Common Law, the pilot you just ordered to series, be ready in time to pair with Psych? Is that the plan?
MCCUMBER
| We don’t know yet. There are a lot of decisions to make there. It’s “to be determined,” let’s put it that way.

Pilot News: Jennifer Finnigan Is USA Network’s Wild Card

TVLINE | Where do you see USA Network five years from now? Are you programming six nights, year-round?
WACHTEL
| Our target is not to be on a broadcast network schedule in primetime. We think the hand-crafted nature of our shows leads to the consistent quality, and you can’t overdo it. So, we don’t care about five-, six-nights-a-week, 52-weeks-a-year. We want to be a network that’s on all four seasons, and basically has a presence throughout the week.
MCCUMBER | We’ve been incredibly successful with scripted hours. Now it’s about trying to expand the variety of programming we’re doing. We’re looking at reality, half hours, maybe going back to event miniseries, things USA has done well in the past. We’re actually looking at Friday nights – could that be a place where we do some great branded programming, or movies? It’s about making sure we can build upon this brand and diversity the portfolio.

TVLine readers, what’s your current favorite USA series?

1. alr says:

Great article! In our house, we love Burn Notice and Covert Affairs! Haven’t been a fan of White Collar in the past but since it’s the lead-in to Covert Affairs we’ve been giving it a chance and it’s a pretty good show. Keep it coming!

2. paul says:

I for one would love to see USA attempting the epic mini-series programming that I used to love growing up. American history, the first Olympics, Roots, North & South… The 10-12 part, 2-week long sagas that used to air during Sweeps.

HBO & Starz have attempted something similar, but I’d like to see a basic-cabler try it.

• Suncatcher says:

@ Paul – GREAT idea!

Those were the days. I taped many of those shows and when I play them back today, I find they are far superior to the garbage served up at today’s movie theaters. My favorites were Roots and original The Bourne Identity (Richard Chamberlain and a fabulous cast).

USA? What say you?

• Suncatcher says:

PS – Almost forgot! 3 other great mini-series were the superb, Thornbirds (Richard Chamberlain), Winds of War (Robert Mitchum) and War & Remembrance (Robert Mitchum)! Again, all of them had brilliant casts that today’s shows could probably never replicate (nor afford)!

• mb says:

I thought Shogun was great too.

3. DrKoob says:

We will try anything these guys put out there. We have never been disappointed yet. Love them all. Used to be that the summer gave us time to watch movies but no more thanks to USA, TNT, Scyfi and other cankers. All have great shows.

4. She72 says:

USA Network: PLEASE, no reality programs!!!!!! and no half-hours unless you think they’re worthy!!!!

• lauren says:

Yes, exactly what I was thinking as I read that quote. Please please no reality. I love what USA does and their shows give me a much better option than crappy network reality shows!

• Kaiulani says:

That was my first thought too! No reality! I love the mini-series idea. I thought they did a good job with The Starter Wife, even though the series kinda sucked. Big fan of Burn Notice, White Collar, Covert Affairs, Fairly Legal. Keep the characters comming.

• Bethany says:

While I’d trust USA’s reality over CBS’s reality, please, stay away from it! Same with 1/2 hours…

However: I am thrilled to hear that Psych will return in October! It’s one of my favorite shows, and my entire family loves it. Bring it back with the glory and honor it deserves! :)

5. L says:

I agree-there’s enough reality crap out there. USA is consistenly putting forward interesting, well-written shows. We are watching all of them. You don’t need to go down the reality tv route, just keep doing what you’re doing. We’ll be there.

6. dvmom says:

I totally agree with you, She72. Let’s keep the good drama going, and leave the reality tv alone. Friday night is a great idea too, as there is very little competition there.

7. Scott says:

I also would like to see a return to TV movie/Mini series. Not just ‘non-fiction’ but just about anything. How about starting with Watcher following the story of the BOOK. (unlike the `86 movie that shredded the book. Travis is 38, not a 16 year old like the movie among many other atrocities.)

• Lyndsey says:

Oh. My. God!!! Dean Koontz’s “Watchers” is my all-time favorite contemporary novel!! I still don’t understand how no one has tried to make a decent movie out of it (I’ve tried my best to forget that God-awful travesty from the 80′s)! The only good adaptations of Koontz’s (and much of Stephen King’s) have been in the miniseries format. There are hundreds of good books out there that would make awesome movies & TV events which would be far better fare than all this reality crap & remakes!

I also watch just about every show USA puts out & “Suits” is definitely my new favorite!!

8. Barbra says:

USA has done an excellent job making programs that are quality in writing and acting. Unlike many standard channels (abc, nbc and fox) you never know if the program will be worth getting invovled with during the first season, because there is a strong chance it wont be brought back. Seems to me when USA greenlights a show, it makes it a quality program that will sustain several seasons.
    I had read a negative review about Necessary Roughness and have to say they were wrong! USA seems to produce shows that myself in my 30′s, my sister in her 40′s and my parents in their 60′s can enjoy!
    Well done!

9. GG says:

No Psych til October!!!!! What is a Psych-o to do? Thank goodness for DVDs. And I totally agree – NO REALITY SHOWS! In my opinion, that would cheapen USA’s “brand” as they called it.

10. Jenna V says:

October. and a premiere of something at comic con. thats great but im still not convinced that they’re airing psych in the fall so it’ll get bad ratings against broadcast competition and use that as an excuse to cancel psych. :( #nervousPsycho

11. Suncatcher says:

USA! Promise us you will not let your writers go stupid on you, as is happening with such (formerly good shows) as NCIS, Criminal Minds, Hawaii 50, etc., with SO many side stories, guest stars, “arcs”, permanent additions/changes to already chemistry-perfect casts and scripts! If it ain’t broke… Starting to see you swerve into this lane with the superb White Collar…Don’t go there!

Love – White Collar, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs
    Trying – Suits (pretty good)!

12. Alicia says:

I love nearly every show on USA. I watch them all, except for Burn Notice and Psych (and that’s because I’m a late-comer to USA and don’t want to start in the middle of the series…I’d need to see the beginning!). White Collar, Covert Affairs, In Plain Sight and Royal Pains – they are truly fantastic.

USA Network – NO NEED FOR REALITY! Keep the scripted shows coming…I have more to watch in the summer than I do in the fall. And it’s all on ONE network!!

• Amy says:

You should definitely try to catch up on Burn Notice and Psych!!! I totally understand wanting to start from the beginning, but you’re missing out on a couple of great shows!! :)

And while I’m here, I’m gonna echo everyone else and beg the USA head honchos to not go down the reality roads!!!

13. Tiffany says:

Thanks for asking about Psych. I know us Psych fans are probably sounding a little like spoiled children throwing tantrums by now, but December-October is a REALLY long wait!! Especially when you consider that we haven’t typically had to wait more than 5 months or so due to split seasons.

That being said, I absolutely love USA’s programming. Thanks for doing this article!

14. Alex says:

Nothing on “In Plain Sight”?

15. Suzie says:

I think they are smart to develop a more British model of tv series – airing shorter seasons, all year long. It is easier to maintain quality over 12-16 episodes vs. 22-24.

I enjoy most of the USA line up. We don’t have many of these shows in Canada, so you have to seek them out, and they are worth it.

16. wmcc520 says:

NO REALITY TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!! USA is one of the few networks that is free of reality tv. Don’t ruin it by adding that to the mix. There is a enough reality on other networks. Let’s keep the great scripted shows going. If you want to diversify maybe try some comedy shows but please no reality.

17. jana says:

USA Network consistently knocks it out the park w/ it’s programming. I’ve yet to see a show that I don’t watch. And the new shows, Suits and Necessary Roughness, awesome!!! Both of them!! The two leads on Suits, as the commercial says, play off each other like Clooney and Damon. I love watching them. I love watching everything on USA. Makes the summer months worth it!! Good actors, good scripts, good story lines – all converge into great programs! USA should pat itself on the back! Good job!

18. Scott says:

I personally watch seven of their nine shows. I used to watch all nine but I missed the premiere of In Plain Sight and haven’t tried to catch up. I thought I would love Fairly Legal but as it kept going I slowly became disenchanted with it. My family still watches it though. I do watch Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar, Royal Pains, Covert Affairs and now Suits and Neccessary Roughness.

• ESLKid75 says:

Exactly what you said. In Plain Sight was good, but not a must. Fairly Legal went down in my interest quickly.

But all other 7 shows are AWESOME!

Couldn’t agree with you more!

19. slipperyslope says:

What a fantastic article-thanks, Matt! We are fans of every show on the network, probably biggest fans of Burn Notice and Psych. Anything they put out, I’ll watch. Dule Hill is hinting about Psych promos coming out at Comic Con, and airing on USA shortly. Can’t wait to see what else the bosses at USA have up their sleeves!

20. Lorie says:

Matt, thanks for the great article! IMO, USA & TNT own the summer. I always look forward to their shows. My favorite new show this summer is SUITS.

21. Natalie says:

USA is my absolute favorite network. I check out almost every single new show they come up with. I haven’t been let down yet and Suits and Necessary Roughness are no exceptions. I can’t wait for Psych to come back…glad I finally have a time frame! Keep doing what you’re doing USA, it’s working brilliantly!

22. Natalie says:

I do agree with having no reality tv. It’s SO overdone and 99% of it is complete crap…USA don’t associate your network with that junk…PLEASE.

• Mikaylah says:

No reality TV on USA! I already feel like I’ve lost so many great shows over on Syfy because they have expanded their reality TV programs. I don’t watch any reality programming.

23. Annika says:

I friggin’ love to watch White Collar and Psych with my husband! Keep up the good work. Although this Psych-less summer has made me a little sad :(

24. Mikaylah says:

I watch every single one of USA Network’s current scripted show. I’ve been a fan of Psych, White Collar, In Plain Sight, Royal Pains and Burn Notice since the beginning, and I am loving Suits and Necessary Roughness. I can’t wait for Fairly Legal to return, and Covert Affairs is even better this season than it was last season.

25. Templar says:

I agree about USA owning the summer, but am a bit less enthusiastic about TNT. For me Franklin & Bash is disappointing and a knock off of the Belushi /O’Connell Defenders show. And I am a big fan of Breckin Meyer. Suits is the best new show of the season.

26. Mandy says:

Love White Collar and Christoper Gorham had me tuning into Covert Affairs (which has turned out to be great). The success of these two shows has me wanting to check out other ones on this network. The premise for Suits sounds interesting.
    I like the idea of having mini-series, but the world does not need more reality tv, especially from a classy network like USA

27. Abby says:

Great article and perfect timing! I was just talking with a coworker about how I am enjoying summer programming on network channels (TNT and USA specifically) over the fall/spring programming on cable. These shows have so much depth and grit that I really enjoy them more. I look forward to Tues nights with Covert Affairs and White Collar all week and miss them when they’re not on. The cast chemistry, plotlines, and creative team behind the shows are phenomenal! I’m also a big fan of Psych, In Plain Sight, Necessary Roughness and Burn Notice. USA has done a fantastic job with their programming! I look forward to seeing what they have in the future.

I know this article was specifically about USA, but I have to give TNT its props also. The Closer has been one of my favorites since it premiered. I also love Rizzoli and Isles, and Franklin and Bash. These shows make me wish the summer season lasted longer, but I look forward to “part 2″ of the seasons every winter. Keep up the good work to all the casts, writers, directors, producers and networks!

28. Jaime says:

Wheres the love for In Plain Sight?? Dont get me wrong, I love me some Burn Notice and White Collar, but I love where the show is going this season… really, a whole interview and its not even mentioned? PS- why do I have it my head that I read somewhere that this was IPS’s last season?? Someone please Gibbs slap me for my stupidity…

29. Doris says:

I love White Collar and Covert Affairs. While I liked Fairly Legal, I found the heroine very annoying, immature, and inconsiderate (and I would NEVER have divorced Justin!). I can’t stand Psych because, although intelligent, Shawn is also very immature to the point of being silly. Neal & Peter & even Mozzie are grown men who act adult; the guys of Psych do not. But my three favorite summer shows are (in alphabetical order) Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime), Leverage (TNT), and White Collar.

• the girl says:

Perhaps it is because I have a small girl crush on Sarah Shahi, that I absolutely loved Fairly Legal. And I loved her character for most of the reasons that you didn’t like her. She was annoying, immature, selfish, and inconsiderate. But I never found it to be problematic because she was redeemed through Leo, her anchor, and Justin, her lighthouse. I can’t wait for that new season to start.
      In other news, I am thoroughly enjoying the new season of Covert Affairs and cannot wait for the new season of Psych. Are we officially calling ourselves (fans) Psych-os? Love it.
      I have to admit that I don’t watch all of the USA shows – I can’t get sucked in to the point of never leaving the house! – but what the article says about “Characters Welcome” telling a viewer all they need to know about a show on USA is true. I know the shows I’m not watching are interesting, funny, complex, and likeable. I just fight really hard not to get hooked!

30. Rachel says:

LOVE USA. “spectacular original vision of the shows” – absolutely! So much more than any other network, and they’ve really created an amazing brand. I love just about everything that they come out with – Necessary Roughness is my new favorite show!! Great interview!

31. Elizabeth B says:

Burn Notice is the best – I would choose it over any other show on TV (including network). We also love Royal Pains, Covert Affairs, Psych, Suits, and Fairly Legal. Haven’t gotten in to White Collar, but more because we already watch too much TV. Wasn’t interested in Necessary Roughness, but knowing USA’s programming, I’m sure it as good a show as the others from a quality standpoint. Keep it up, USA. My only gripe is the delay in the online broadcasting – the 30-day wait after the first two episodes is really irritating.

32. Justin says:

Great article! I watch and love all nine USA network shows. Ever since they embraced this “characters welcome” mantra, USA network has produced a bunch of quality, well-written, humurous shows. Whenever summer comes along, the first network I look forward to is USA. While SyFy and TNT make summer fun for me too, its no contest. I’m loving Suits and Necessary Roughness right now, and look forward to Fairly Legal and Psych returning. While I would prefer Psych in the summer, its such a good show that I’ll watch it whenever it comes on. Keep it going, USA network!

33. Dawn says:

First of all, no reality TV, please!

My hubby and I love all the USA shows, except for Suits. We gave it two episodes, but found the characters too unlikeable. I can see why people would like it, but it’s not for us. I love to support the Firefly cast, but I can’t do it, not even for Gina Torres.

34. Tara says:

Too bad USA can’t pick up Chuck (up chuck, lol). I keep hoping for more Chuck, but NBC is stupid and doesn’t listen to the fans.

35. Linda says:

My favorite is White Collar but I love In Plain Sight too.

36. Carrie says:

Thank you for asking the “Psych” question! My current favorites are by far “Psych” & “Burn Notice”. I was a huge fan of “Monk” and was so disappointed when “4400″ & “Dead Zone” were cancelled.

37. Elizabeth says:

I love Just about every single show they have out…. Burn Notice, Psych, Covert Affairs, White Collar, Royal Pains, Fairly Legal, Suits, Necessary Roughness….
    (Monk was awesome too!)

Please stay away from reality tv!

I will definitely be checking out the new shows when they premiere since this network has such an outstanding track record with me!

• Elizabeth says:

Oh, and wanted to say how much I miss not having Psych this summer!!!!

Also wish that The Good Guys was brought to USA instead of FOX. I don’t know if Matt Nix ever tried but I really enjoyed that show & was sad it got canceled.

38. Andrea says:

USA knows what it’s doing as a network. I’ve been a regular watcher of Burn Notice, Royal Pains, and White Collar, and I picked up Suits this season. I also plan to give Common Law a try because I like Jennifer Finnegan.

My one complaint is that USA is airing everything together. More of the series used to be spaced out so that when one or two used to go on mid-season hiatus, one or two would start the season. It’s been difficult juggling all four series, but I guess that’s a good problem to have in the summer season.

39. Ashley says:

LOVE USA programming! My fave is definitely Covert Affairs so I was super excited to hear that they’d be getting a winter season. I really enjoyed Fairly Legal and am also loving Necessary Roughness and Suits. Psych is good, but can sometimes be a little too silly. Oh, and Royal Pains also earned a season pass on my TiVo.

40. Maria says:

Burn Notice was our first and still favorite. Burn is the anchor that all the new comers have to thank. It’s excellence personified. Jeffrey and the rest of the cast are as good, and I’d even dare to say better, than most of the “mainstream Hollywood” actors we have today.

• Amy says:

While I totally respect your thoughts on Burn Notice, Monk is actually the series that the other series’ have to thank- IMO. If Monk hadn’t done SO well, then they wouldn’t have brought on Psych and so forth. I do agree that most of the actors on USA shows are better than those on other shows, I wouldn’t credit Burn Notice with starting the trend. It was definitely Monk. ;)

41. Stacey R says:

Love all the shows on USA. They’re fun, well-written, and enjoyable to watch. White Collar is a favorite and new shows Suits and Necessary Roughness are now on my list of must-see TV. USA does a great job of creating shows that we want to watch. It makes summer viewing pleasurable and anticipated. I agree with other comments too–please stay away from reality shows and 1/2 formats. Don’t change a thing.

42. Deb24 says:

White Collar is my favorite and I think Necessary Roughness is going to be my 2nd favorite. I am a fan of USA because I think they provide quality shows with the right combination of drama and comedy. I watch TV to be entertained, not to be left feeling sad.

43. Grayling says:

I love all the shows on USA I’m just wishing for a Burn Notice and Covert Affairs crossver episode

44. Lynnette says:

I love the USA line-up of shows! I watch them all and really miss Psych this summer! Please, please, please USA, don’t add reality shows to the line-up!!!

45. MAS says:

Maybe it has been asked and answered and I haven’t seen it, but I would love to know why they cancelled The 4400. Was it a brand decision? Did they think it ran out of creative juice? Why couldn’t they have made the decision so the series could have wrapped up? I enjoy the current shows, but I was hooked The 4400.

46. Maria says:

I happily concede. I guess I was looking at it as BN being the first of the dramatic, espionage genre. But, loved Monk and still love Psych. All the USA shows :-)

47. Joanne says:

I am one of the many fans of Psych who feel it’s not really summer without Psych on the TV :(

I do want to thank you, however, for asking about Psych. I love that the network is going to be giving fans (who are lucky enough to go to Comic Con) some great clips and other special bits about Season 6–but it’s been a long, long time with next to nothing and it would be nice to share information, etc. with all the fans.

I agree with everyone–please stay away from the so-called reality shows! I came to USA Network to escape that. Love watching White Collar, Royal Pains and In Plain Sight but Psych will always be my favorite.

48. rehabber says:

PLEASE NO REALITY SHOWS, why ruin a good thing? What is the saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. My #1 show is The Vampire Diaries, but USA has #2 White Collar and Suits is coming up fast. Psych is my least favorite although I do watch. If a show is on USA, I am going to like it enough to watch. Started watching Covert Affair because of Chris and stayed because the show is good.

49. Jamie says:

Keep up the great work USA Network! I’m loving the programming and hope the brand continues to grow as well. As for specials on Friday’s and half-hour programs, Duckman?

50. Cass says:

I’ve long been a fan of the USA network and their programming. Thanks for this wonderful interview! Fantastic!