Is Grey's Anatomy Entering Its Final Season? Shonda Rhimes Has Her Say

Even if Ellen Pompeo and/or Patrick Dempsey opt not to stay with Grey’s Anatomy beyond the upcoming eighth season, Seattle Grace will continue to admit patients come fall 2012 — according to series creator Shonda Rhimes.

TVLine Exclusive: Ellen Pompeo Opens Up About Her Uncertain Grey’s Future

“Just for the record: This is not the last season of [Grey's Anatomy],” Rhimes avowed on Twitter Wednesday, in response to a handful of followers suggesting it was. To underscore her resolve, she added: “Definitely. Not.” (An ABC spokesperson did not immediately respond to our request for comment on Rhimes’ ersatz Season 9 pick-up news.)

Rhimes also broke her hiatus-timed Twitter silence to stress, “We are NOT adding any more cast members this season,” as in series regulars (and not nervous guest star interns, as scooped here). “Full house already,” she explained.

Exclusive: Shonda Rhimes Says Next Grey’s Season May Be Original Cast’s Last

Come Season 9, should any original cast members elect not to re-sign with the ABC drama, its casting needs surely will be different. Rhimes, however, is not yet giving up on McDreamy and his Mrs. (though she did tell TVLine she’s bracing for them both to end their shifts next May). “Hope they stay,” she tweeted, in reference to Pompeo and Dempsey’s in-flux status.

Grey’s returns Thursday, Sept. 22, with a two-hour season opener.

1. Merrigan Horn says:

No way! If Ellen and Patrick left I would stop watching it. They are the main reason I watch Grey’s. Although I love the other actors and actresses, I would have to stop. it would never be the same or anywhere close without them.

2. d says:

the show would not be the same without the cast it currently holds!

3. Anna says:

Please Please Please don’t leave guys

Shona, I’m counting on you sista to pull out all the stops, hand out villas in Tuscany WHATEVER just keep our family together! I can’t imagine life without Greys to count down to each week, to laugh and cry at and rage at the TV when someone misbehaves or starts shooting.

Thanks to all of you though. Its really been a hellova journey so far – I really hope it continues!!!

Anna – New Zealand

4. Kortnie says:

The comment on who wants to watch a show about a happy gay couple? Eveyone does. Does anyone know what this show has done for the gay world. The rating got really high when they made Callie into a lesbian. If Meredith leaves it will be sad. But I will watch for the Gay couple and to see if the under dog Karev gets what he deserves, a pedes fellowship and a wife.

5. Lexie says:

Honestly, I give you all the right to your opinion. No doubt. I understand a lot of what you say when it comes to keeping Meredith and Derek on or off — on: it’ll keep repeating – off: it’ll be a little like ER. But when I think about it, people have huge imaginations. If they cannot widen their imagination, by ALL means, please go ahead and get rid of them. At the same time, use your imagination. There’s so much they came up with that was brilliant. The drama can and sometimes does repeat, but honestly, without Meredith Grey, this show is not Grey’s Anatomy. It’s all a very contraversal argument. We’ll see what happens. WE don’t determine the show, ABC and Shondra does. Can I get an “amen?”

6. Mercedes says:

I would watch if PD and EP keft just to see what would happen, but it wouldnt last long without them. id prefer they stay because EP basically plays the “main” main character. the first scene of the entire show began with Mer and Der it shoul be what the last scene of the series ends with. plus i want to see how they grown as parents.
    What i would love to see even more is Izzy come back and get her life back togeather. i miss her. Maybe we could see something between her and mark. Im sick of him haveing this seemingly non existent girlfriend who we barley get to ever see or hear about.

7. Amanda says:

I am a huge greys fan i own every single season and watch them all the time so as sad as i would be to see meredith or derek leave i will still be watching to the end

8. Louise says:

I think grey’s anatomy would be ruined with shepard and grey. 100% they should stay!

9. Louise says:

*without

10. Solange says:

Lexi and Mark could move from being on the sidelines to front row? She is a Grey too!

11. Sage says:

I absolutely lose Grey’s but continueing another season with barely any of the original cast is pushing the shows limits. It would be better for it to end with a plot that mkes you cry because you want more, not one that later seems flat and redone.

12. naj says:

these is many good characters in the show,, I’ll still wanna see what’s ganna happen between little try and mark. Is christina really left hunt and there no turn back? how did she get over him… I’m a huge fan of Cristina since season 1, and I wish if she accidentally met broke just to see how awkward that moment would be…

13. Cheryl says:

why did u kill lex bring her back bring them all back the show is nothin with out all of the cast

14. Dina says:

Now that Christina is gone… The show is NOT ER – PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE – as a devoted fan – let’s end this year on everyone set… No Mark ( means no balance or true happiness for Calle) & Lexi & Mark at the same time was a show ender – they were glue characters to too many!