Fall TV Preview

Done Deal: Jesse Spencer Re-Signs with House

The doctor is still in. Following weeks of ultimately down-to-the-wire negotiations, Jesse Spencer has on late Tuesday night closed a new deal to continue on as House‘s Dr. Robert Chase for the upcoming Season 8.

Spencer himself touted the good news via Twitter, telling followers, “I’m coming back for Season 8 with a tan and a busted [surf]board.” (The actor had been braving the waves at Newport Beach.)

House Boss on Finale Fallout: House Wasn’t Trying to Kill Cuddy

The development no doubt comes as a welcome relief to the show’s producers, who were already reeling from the sudden departure of leading lady Lisa Edelstein. The show is also facing the possible loss of Olivia Wilde. Back in May, series creator David Shore expressed uncertainty about the extent of Wilde’s involvement during the show’s eighth and possibly-final season. “I expect she’ll be back,” he told TVLine, “but I’m not sure how much she’ll be back.”

Exclusive: Lisa Edelstein Returns to TV — on CBS

House returns on Monday, October 3, at 9/8c (now leading out of Terra Nova).

Thoughts? Relieved Spencer is sticking around? Does it offset some of your disappointment about Edelstein’s exit? Hit the comments with, um, your comments!

Comments (167)

• By the end of season 4, Wilson, Chase and Cameron were the only reasons I was still watching House. Cameron is gone, Wilson is barely there so I’m glad that Chase at least will be back.

Comment by Jill – July 13, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Jesse Spencer is staying with the show :) He is amazing and like the NICEST guy ever!

Comment by Gwen – July 13, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Amber Tamblyn/Masterson! She was the best thing that happened to the show in a long time! I’m also a Taub fan–his character has interesting contradictions & a wry sense of humor. OK, I like Chase, too.

Comment by jan – July 13, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You sir are right on the button. here here!

Comment by Matt – July 13, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Comment by Jan”… either he’s canadian, or that’s a girl, dude.

Amber Tamblyn was there only for that arc. I think bringing her back would cheapen her exit… Unless Season 8 is the end and in a final montage they show her getting better work after leaving PPTH. (More likely wearing a bonnet with overalls and slowly rocking back and forth in a padded room, either could happen.)

Besides, I didn’t believe for a second that Cuddy’s daughter was preschool age. Sorry.

Comment by Marius – July 13, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree on the Amber Tamblyn comment, not so much on Taub. I find his character and his story mildly interesting.
      Bring Amber Tamblyn back!

Comment by Lukewarm – July 21, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase is my favorite character so I’m thrilled he be back. I would have quit watching if he hadn’t come back. I really don’t care about Lisa Edelstein’s exit. Now that the romance with House is over, that character has outlived her usefulness anyway. I hope they’ll give Chase some good stories this year. The man-ho story was tedious because they never delved deeper into the psychology of it. Jesse’s one of the best actors on the show. He should be used accordingly.

Comment by Andie – July 13, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did Jesse also have to accept a paycut like Lisa E. did? And why did TPTB care to negotiate more than two months with him, when it took only 3 weeks with Lisa ? What the hell ?!

It’s good for him that he maintains his job, but I couldn’t care less, to be honest. His character is replaceable, while Lisa E.’s isn’t.

I’ve been watching the show for Hugh Laurie and for House’s realtionship with Cuddy from day 1.

The show will still be great, because Hugh is an acting God, but it won’t be the same without Cuddy :-(

Comment by DanieGermany – July 13, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go cry with the rest of the Huddies, Cuddy is totally replaceable

Comment by un-holy – July 13, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From day 1? But in the first season Cuddy had just few lines per episodes and sometimes she wasn’t even in it! If you watch for romance go watch soap operas.
      And you’re right, without Cuddy the show won’t be the same, it’ll be better!

Regarding Jesse, I’m so glad he’ll be back for the next season, he’s a good actor and I like Chase. Obviously for the producers he wasn’t replaceble while LE wasn’t worth the effort, also Cuddy is pretty useless now.
      Can’t wait for season 8!

Comment by Jess – July 13, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love House periodn but let’s face it without Hugh, Jesse and Robert there is no show,but I love the original character.

Comment by Adela – July 13, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They rocked all the scenes they had together, I really hope to see a lot of interactions between them

Comment by Jess – July 13, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness! Jesse Spencer is my reason to watch season 8 now :)

Comment by Miriam – July 13, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chase is irrelevant and boring, so… yawn. I’m into House as long as Hugh is in, so I hope writers redeem themselves next season (And lets hope for a well written female character for a change!)

Comment by Laura – July 13, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a nice idea. Bring Morrison back!

Comment by Deb – July 13, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Think there’s a reason that Fox will make up their minds whteher Season 8 of HOUSE will be its last now that Cuddy is out of “grumpy doctor” life forever and the fact that the show ratings’ has now dropped ever since there’s no Cameron and the return of Thirteen aka Olivia Wilde.

Comment by Kevin – July 13, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ratings went down the hill since the huddy crap started and turned a medical mistery into a medical romance.

Comment by Jess – July 13, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah. That’s one point. But really, another reason is that Cameron’s gone.

Comment by Christine – August 2, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t care less about the loss of cuddy…bring back Amber Tamblyn!

Comment by Matt – July 13, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Bring her back!

Comment by wtfisthisshow – July 13, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow I like House I mean all of them

Comment by Dae hee Kim – July 13, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for Jesse Spencer, but honestly, this show has destroyed itself many years ago; but will remain in history the first two or three series when it was a well written show on a brilliant diagnostician with good patient and interesting dynamic between the characters, then the writers have sinned and inexperience have destroyed the formula that led them to success.
    Note
    Sorry for the bad English but I am a foreigner.

Comment by Nadal – July 13, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But we have HL, RSL, JS and with the stupid huddy soap out of the way I’m sure the writers will be able to bring back the great show that got lost in huddyland

Comment by Emma – July 13, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, great news! The best one since LE’s departure.
    Is it October yet?

Comment by Emma – July 13, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since this is probably the final season, would it kill them to bring Cameron back for a couple episodes for some closure?

Comment by Kristina – July 13, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really disappointed to read he’s back. I think that he’s a great actor, who deserves a lot better than this mess, but if he doesn’t think so, so be it…

It doesn’t offset my disappointment about Lisa’s exit, because there was none. I was relieved that she was leaving, she’s too good for them. Those misogynistic douchebags shouldn’t be allowed to write female characters. Actually, they shouldn’t be allowed to write at all. I’ll never get over the fact that they had what was once the best show in the world, then became the most watched show in the world two years in a row and they let it come to this. And no, it wasn’t the Huddy. Not that it wasn’t worse than most of the things you’ll find on ff.net, it was. But that’s because David Shore and perhaps the writers in general are finished.

Comment by Maria – July 13, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i do really want cuddy back.

Comment by Prezza – July 13, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy he is coming back for season 8!

Comment by Iris – July 13, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never really cared one way or another for the Chase character, but I sincerely hope that he and Foreman interact more and get an actual storyline because I loved the original ducklings, and had the show written it right Chase and Foreman could have had a friendship that paralleled House and Wilson.

Comment by wtfisthisshow – July 13, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He and Hugh Laurie are really the only reasons I watch anymore, so this is great news! I hope Chase gets some good screentime this year.

Comment by shay – July 13, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news has no effect on my previous decision to bale on S8. I think having House crash his car into Cuddy’s house was a huge blunder. It turned House into a completely unsympathetic character, IMO. Whether his intent was to kill Cuddy is irrelevant. He easily could have, and her child as well. Cuddy has clearly had enough of House’s insane behavior. She just doesn’t care anymore. And she’s not alone.

Comment by Bill – July 13, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really glad to hear that Jesse Spencer will continue on as Chase in season 8! I just hope the writers give his character a decent storyline, particularly one that involves interaction with House for a change. As it’s been hinted that it is most likely the last season, I’ll be watching and hoping we have some great stories that bring to completion all of the original characters. Chase is by far my favorite duckling, and Jesse does a terrific job fleshing him out.

Comment by Kabby – July 13, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care about Cuddy, but I’m very glad Jesse Spencer is staying. I want Wilson, Chase and HOUSE. The others can all be replaced in my mind. And that includes 13.

Comment by jules – July 13, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • El Huddy es una perdida irreparable en House Md, el Huddy era necesario, su tension sexual era necesaria, 7 temporadas con esta tensión y que van hacer tener tension sexual con Wilson la gente se va a enfadar mucho mucho

Comment by Encar – July 13, 2011 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was about time that Jesse Spencer signed with House and that they told fans that he is coming back! I wonder what took so long, I hope he has a good deal.

Comment by Luca – July 14, 2011 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good! House, Wilson and Chase, the reasons I watch the show!

Comment by Lena – July 14, 2011 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Jesse Spencer will be on House for another season!

Comment by Carrie – July 14, 2011 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god Jesse Spencer returns! Now I have high hopes. Hopefully Chase’s fans will not be disappointed this season

Comment by Emma – July 14, 2011 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so happy that Jesse is back for S8 .Chase is my favorite character & is the only reason I watch this show.Hopefully he’ll get a meaty dramatic story line & more interaction with House( JS has great chemistry with HL).Or at least continue his Dibala story arc from S6.And please no more shipping in S8, especially with 13.Shipping 2 regulars is lazy writing in my opinion .Let Chase have his own story line & not just be a mere supporter for 13.Jesse is a great actor & needs a chance to shine .Please Mr.Shore; make S8 Chase’s best season.His fans waited for so long.

Comment by Daniel – July 14, 2011 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a good replacement for Cuddy would be if Jennifer Morisson comes back and tightens things up a bit. No longer the small, little Cameron who would always gibe in. If she would return, and this time as House’s boss, that would be a real bummer!
    If 13 leaves I suppose it wouldn’t be that bad for me. I never could get a connection to her character. She wasn’t bad, but also didn’t contribute that much to the show.
    Chase staying on the show was a must have. He has grown a lot during the time and has a really cool and interesting character. I just love the times of Seasons 2,3 and partly 4, just the old team. It was great.

By the way, anybody also notice that for the last 2-3 Seasons the background music changed? Much more reserved and diffuse. I loved the background music in the old seasons.

Comment by Dennis – July 14, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cameron has run her course as a character, and recalling her pathetic farewell speech to House, how could she ever return? This ship has – thankfully – sailed.

I just wish they’d explore the House/Chase dynamics more and give Jesse Spencer a decent place on the series again. His moments with House were few, but memorable. Much more interesting to watch than “Chameron, Hameron, Chirteen” or whatnot. (The terms in themselves are disgusting.)

Comment by Wally – July 14, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for season 8! Jesse Spencer is not only very easy on the eye he is also a great actor. Lets hope the writers write him a good story line in this upcoming season

Comment by Dave – July 14, 2011 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it’s about time –finally some good news regarding House! So relieved that the deal’s done and Jesse Spencer is bringing Chase back!

Comment by Leiney – July 14, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So cool! JESSE SPENCER will be back! I love it!!!!

Comment by Jenny – July 16, 2011 03:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! It does help recover from the unpleasantness of no more Cuddy!

Comment by Suckerforaussieaccent – July 20, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He could have my car!

Comment by lizzie – July 22, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would not have watched without Chase. All good comments for Jesse and I hope to God they give him the most air time. Do not want whining Cameron back and she tore Chase up. Also she had that job of Cuddy for a day and screwed it up. Lisa needs to go and take the cheap wardrobe with her. House needs to go back to the medicine, quit the risky behavior and save the show. If they do right by Jesse I will watch. OW needs to make her movies as it is clear she does not place any value to the show. Her character only got a little better because Jesse has been good to her and has shared with her. He has grown and matured and is showing concern towards patients. Foreman is boring but the night he went out with Chase and House to sing karaoke was classic. Chase finally got to sing. He looks great and we women love his accent. Please JS grow your hair back at least to where it was at end of S7. Chase Fan all the way!!!!!!!

Comment by J. Leighton – July 23, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If thirteen’s time isn’t always there and house meets a new doctor and asks her to b on the team…does that mean chase or foreman gets dibs on the new doc? I WANT CHASE AND THIRTEEN.

Comment by Jenni – July 26, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Lisa Edelstein comes back as a guest star this show may still have a future. Maybe they did cut off a lot of the Medical Enigmas, but personally, I had so many questions that didn’t get answered till this last season. Maybe it wasn’t the best season of all – but I still liked it. I will watch House until the day that it’s over.

Comment by Lana White – July 28, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post