Done Deal: Jesse Spencer Re-Signs with House

The doctor is still in. Following weeks of ultimately down-to-the-wire negotiations, Jesse Spencer has on late Tuesday night closed a new deal to continue on as House‘s Dr. Robert Chase for the upcoming Season 8.

Spencer himself touted the good news via Twitter, telling followers, “I’m coming back for Season 8 with a tan and a busted [surf]board.” (The actor had been braving the waves at Newport Beach.)

House Boss on Finale Fallout: House Wasn’t Trying to Kill Cuddy

The development no doubt comes as a welcome relief to the show’s producers, who were already reeling from the sudden departure of leading lady Lisa Edelstein. The show is also facing the possible loss of Olivia Wilde. Back in May, series creator David Shore expressed uncertainty about the extent of Wilde’s involvement during the show’s eighth and possibly-final season. “I expect she’ll be back,” he told TVLine, “but I’m not sure how much she’ll be back.”

Exclusive: Lisa Edelstein Returns to TV — on CBS

House returns on Monday, October 3, at 9/8c (now leading out of Terra Nova).

Thoughts? Relieved Spencer is sticking around? Does it offset some of your disappointment about Edelstein’s exit? Hit the comments with, um, your comments!

1. Cath says:

Chase coming back is good news but I still want my Cuddy back.

• moniba says:

It’s good news that chase is back but if “Cuddy” leave the show I don’t think that it will be the same cuz in the last season House was that close to kill her and she doesen’t want him anymore so it will be no “fight” between them in the coming season.

• cherie says:

I like cutty but is still love watching the show with all the other charactors especially Chase, house, and I still like six. Man I wish kumar never got killed off but all the people they get for house is awesome they know what they r doin all the way around I love them all

• Brit says:

Cuddy coming back. That’s the news I want to hear.

• Lena says:

Chase coming back is great, I like him!
      Cuddy? No, thanks. Her place is where she is now: out of the way!

• Peter says:

Good riddance to Cuddy – the actress and character always were annoying. Season 8 looking good already!

2. J says:

Crap. Chase is the only reason I watch House, so I was hoping he wouldn’t re-sign so I wouldn’t have to watch next season. Looks like one more year for me.

• Misha says:

Me too. Him and Wilson. Still not excited anymore.

• Erin says:

That was my first thought! Good for him as far as employment goes (I won’t say good for him as an actor as his talent is totally wasted on House) but this means I’ll likely have to tune in from time to time for old times sakes. Chase and Wilson are the only characters I care about.

They’re screwed if Olivia leaves and IMO should hold her to her contract. I hated thirteen for ages but she’s finally grown on me (now she’s no longer shoved down our throats) and fits well with the team. They’ve given her a lot of leeway in the past season and she does owe her House stint for her career resurgence.

3. Juliana says:

Oh yeaaaaah!

4. Carol says:

Yay! Thanks for the great news, Matt. I was getting worried there. ‘House’ wouldn’t be the same without Chase. Any news on whether Jesse will appear in less episodes like Omar had to sign for?

5. JoshS says:

Awesome… I would definitely have missed the hotness factor if he didn’t return.

• sashay says:

Jesse, Hugh and Robert are the main attractions of this show for me. The other two are expendable. I haven’t liked Lisa’s character that much for the last two seasons, so I am looking forward to seeing how they replace her, and with whom. House still has some potential for me, depending on how well they handle the last episode’s incident.

• Volcfom says:

I agree with your top three, too.

• mars says:

agree with everything you said. Definitely watching for the 3 guys. The whole 2 women pregnant with Taub’s babis is intriguing, so we’ll see how that turns out. Don’t care about Cuddy or 13.

6. Stephanie says:

Finally! Jesse is such a great actor and Chase is my favorite character so I was going to give up on the show if he wasn’t coming back next season. Here’s hoping the writers actually give him a good storyline.

• charla says:

Yeah! The main reason outside of Hugh L that I watch- refreshing news!!!!! HOping for a good storyline for him – maybe a new relationship?

• ebowers says:

Give him a good story line like …
      May be Wilson,House,Chase can all come out of the closet together
      ——

Maybe a Titter like cop who has been investigating the murder of Dibala “finally” gets Foreman to turn evidence on Chase (he is jealous of Chase after learning he has been sleeping with Thirteen)Chase goes to jail where by sheer concindence his cellmate is G House already in jail for attempted murder of one LISA CUDDY. So Chase become a favorite of the cell block but a special favorite of House who since his incarciration has decided to embrace his gay side and has started a relationship with James Wilson in the next jail cell serving time drug trafficing and forging rxs of vicodin for House. Taub is James Wilson cellmate and he is in jail for failure to pay child support as with his super sperm he has about 100 out of wedlock children and he is now backrupt and making it with female prison guards.

HOUSE IS JUST ANOTHER NIGHT TIME GA TYPE SOAP OPERA
      GONE BY MID SEASON

7. Jill says:

Thank god he signed!!!! Would have not watched it without him in it!

8. Amber says:

Thank goodness. Wouldn’t do to have two characters mysteriously disappear. Hopefully they’ll continue to give Chase good screentime in S8.

9. susela says:

~yawn~

10. Elizabeth says:

He could borrow my car…

11. sara says:

Great news. JS has matured into a really impressive actor. Looks like being around HL and RSL paid off. So glad to hear he’s coming back in what is shaping up as a great season with lots of possibilities for some new characters and new plot lines.

12. Deena says:

Yes! But! is it now a men only cast or what?

13. Jess says:

Great, season 8 is going to be amazing! House, Chase and Wilson are my fav, now I only hope OW will be back :)

14. Lucille says:

It`s great that he`ll be back.I was slightly worried. He is my favourite teammember.

Hope we`ll find out soon who will be House`s new boss?!?

• lucy hickey says:

House is the reason that “HOUSE” will go on for a long time i hope.
      he is the greatest character invented for a drama series in a long time.
      i would have him be my dr whether he was reading lines or not!!!
      but then i’m 65yrs old and have a big crush on him….
      my pet pillow is named dr gregory house.
      show you there are all kinds of innocents nuts in this world….
      just a senior citizen with a small (large LOL) crush on a great dr.
      character on a tv show. hurray for the whole cast……

15. Jen says:

I would say it’s good…I guess…kind of like buying a box of band-aids to plug the hole in a sinking ship. It’s still going down, it’ll just look a little hotter sinking.

16. Mia says:

Great news!!! Chase was always my No.1 duckling!

17. Sal says:

Jesse Spencer!!! Chase is my favorite and I would for sure not watch House without him being in it :)

18. Al says:

The main story line for House has always been the conflict between House and Cuddy. Without Cuddy I’m afraid that the real draw of the show is gone. I don’t have a good feeling about the future of this great show.

• MiMi says:

It never was the main storyline. It was a sub-story.

• Lola says:

People watch this show, or stop watching, for lots of different reasons. For me personally, it was never about Huddy, but House’s relationship with Wilson that was the most compelling (and before everyone jumps on my case, I wasn’t a Hameron fan either). That being said, Chase is most definitely my favorite team member and it would have been a sad loss if Jesse hadn’t returned.

• Arci says:

I completely agree – I watch it mainly for House and Wilson’s interactions. Their friendship has been the big draw for me over the entire course of the show. But, I don’t really participate in the “shipping” aspect of fandom. I honestly prefer it greatly when House doesn’t have a romantic interest.

I’m also really glad that Chase is back, as he’s a fantastic team member. His interactions with Foreman especially add something to the team’s scenes.

• Frannie says:

Wilson isn’t going anywhere is he?

• tripoli says:

I gotta agree with you 100% Arci. I’m in no way a “shipper”, it’s a rather ridiculous notion that I refuse to be a part of, so House as a single guy is definitely preferred.

• Rei says:

Yes, that’s why the show is called House&Cuddy MD! Ops, nope it’s House MD and in the first amazing seasons Cuddy was barely in each episode! The show is about House, period.

• Liz says:

Main storyline?! Definitely a big NO. Take off the shipper glasses and you’ll see it wasn’t even a proper sub-plot for the first 4 seasons.

• mercy says:

i agree with u Al, i started watching when season 5 had ended and crammed all the previous into about 2 weeks of nothing but house i love the drama between those 2. i know house and cuddy have had it borring at time but other times is amazing i really don’t think is going to be a great season without that drama there.

• Pat says:

The neurotic trainwreck that was Huddy was one of the reasons I stopped watching House so maybe I’ll be tempted to come back now.

I just hope they give Chase something to do other than be a man-ho. The last story arc he had was Dibala.

19. tahina says:

Im happy, but not thrilled because although Jesse is a good actor, he’s not the main reason I watch the show. Hopefully, it’s not too late.

20. James says:

Its fantastic that Jesse Spencer will return for season 8. Of all the characters, besides House himself, Chase has always been the most interesting one for me. Now I’m really looking forward for the next season!

• Daniel says:

Agreed.Chase is the most interesting character other than House himself.I hope the writers,producers finally give this character a well deserved attention & make S8 his season to shine.Jesse is a great actor & can hold his own .

21. MiMi says:

Now I have a reason to continue to watch.

22. un-holy says:

I’m sorry, I honestly have nothing against LE/Cuddy, but “leading lady”? There is only one leading person in the show and that is Hugh Laurie.

23. Jaimie says:

Thank heaven. He is the only character I truly care about and has been sadly underused. I have never figured out why the storylines of Taub and 13 have dominated the show for the last 3 years. Those characters did nothing to make this show great. That was done by the original six. The fired Jennifer Morrison, marginalized Jesse Spencer, and while Omar Epps hung on to his screen time, he never really got a storyline. Wilson was turned into a caricature of his former self. Now if they would throw Taub and his midlife crisis under a bus, it might be a season worth watching. I will watch, but only because Jesse Spencer portrayal of Chase.

• Mo says:

THIS! I’m so glad he’ll be back, I respect him as an actor and I just love the character he’s playing. Jesse Spencer is incredibly talented and it’s about time they realize how much he is loved by the audience. He always had great chemistry esp. with Hugh Laurie (their rare moments were pure gold!), and even managed to hold his own alongside a wooden Olivia Wilde in the After Hours episode. If she doesn’t return and persues her movie career instead, and the writers keep concentrating on House instead of an intolerably annoying Mary Sue-character, [H]ouse might get back its strength again. Yay for more Chase and Chase interaction! :)

• Kate says:

I wish Jennifer would come back. She doesn’t HAVE to be Chase’s girlfriend, but having her back on the show is good enough. Cameron’s a great character.

24. Rei says:

I’m so happy, can’t wait for the next season!

25. Kath G says:

Very happy Jessie is signed, I had no doubt that he would not. Very much looking forward to season eight. Will not miss Cuddy at all, she became such an overbearing character to me. The show is about House, now hopefully we will get back to him, and the medical puzzles.

26. Melissa says:

nothing will get over the disappointment of Lisa Edelstein not being signed, although i am happy for jesse who is a decent actor and who seems like a really nice guy, but what i don`t understand is why they negotiated with jesse for almost 2 months but would only negotiate with Edelstein for 3 weeks? something sounds fishy there. someone should really look into that.

27. RB says:

Couldn’t care less… The character always annoyed me.

28. Fido says:

Good news, maybe we’ll eventually get the Chase13 coupling I’ve been wanting for ages. :D

• Cal says:

I just pray and hope they won’t go that road. It’s way too predictable and Thirteen is boring as hell. I much prefer Chase with House or Foreman, or House and Wilson. The old team (or what’s left of it) still rocks. I do wonder why they want to keep Olivia Wilde when she’s not around for most or even all of the time? With the money wasted on keeping or not keeping her, they might as well have paid Lisa Edelstein enough money to stick around.

• melissa says:

good point!

• Ugh says:

LE was a waste of money. Clearly, the Huddy relationship (yuck) was meant to fail. There’s no need for her anymore. And Chase is an eye-candy. I’d rather have 10 Chases than 1 Cuddy.

• Cal says:

Right, and Olivia Wilde, being gone for two thirds or more of another season, isn’t. Tell me how that works.

• Chris says:

Well said. I exactey feel the same about that matter, as well as the fact that TPTB seem to intend to hook up Chase and Thirteen just because both of them have put an end to someone’s life. They did it for totally different reasons, and in my opinion Chase did the right thing saving a lot of people by acting that way, whereas Thirteen did it out of “mercy” to her sick brother and self-pity (after all, she will face the same fate in a few year’s time). It shouldn’t be such an easy, almost sloppy thing to do, even when you’re a TV-doctor.
        However, it’s great news that Jesse is back. Hopefully Chase won’t turn into important but boring Thirteens boyfriend or care taker. His doomed relationship with Cameron was painful enough to watch.

• Wally says:

Totally agree with this, on all points. I hope they’ll give the actor something more decent to do than taking care of miserable, supercool, poor dying, yet indestructible ole 13. Actually I want her to die in the first episode of next season. That would make me even happier than Jesse Spencer re-signing. *lol*

• Lukewarm says:

PREACH! Amber Tamblyn’s character and acting were a lot more interesting than Olivia Wilde’s 13. And withouth Cuddy, I don’t know how they show will work. House used to be such a good, good show.

• Bubu says:

I liked Amber Tambyln too. Chase was great with her, I really liked their scenes together. It’s great that Jesse is back, but I hope he won’t be wasted in – ugh! – the monstrous walking drama that 13 is.

29. Justin says:

Good that he re-signed for House, and I hope they give him a better storyline this season. However, I definitely feel this season will be the last.

30. Sonya says:

Great! Jesse Spencer is amazing and he deserved to get that deal!

31. Bob says:

Too much testosterone. Who are they going to sign to replace Lisa E. and Wilde child to balance things out.

32. christina says:

House needs Cuddy. But yay Chase is back!!!!

33. P6612 says:

Love that Jesse will be back, , would like to see them bring back nerdy girl, she was to the cast like Velma is to Scooby-doo. A female version of House in the making!

34. EJB says:

Great They will need more muscle in desperate but ultimately futile attempt to keep this sinking ship above water.

ABANDON SHIP, GEE WILL YOU LOOK AT THAT SHARK CIRCLING

35. Debbie says:

Actually glad Cuddy is leaving. She got real boring. Something with Olivia and House would be interesting with how their personalities are. Or bring in a female who is as wacky as House to replace Cuddy. Then watch Wilson go insane!! Get rid of what’s his name whose wife and the nurse are pregnant. Can’t stand him!! He’s forgettable. I am a House fan and can’t remember the charactor or the actor’s names.

• tripoli says:

You clearly aren’t much of a fan if you don’t know who the characters are, regardless of whether you like them or not. Perhaps you should hitch a ride out of here with Lisa Edelstein.

36. Paula says:

I wish the writers would read some of the fan fiction and utilize the chemistry of House, Chase and Wilson more. Many FF stories center on the interaction of these characters, especially House and Chase. I love Jesse and wouldn’t watch it if he were gone.

37. Jon Bon Jovi says:

I just want to see more medical stuff and less soap opera crap.

38. Amy says:

LOVE HL. He’s the reason I watch. I miss my weekly fix of sarcasm and intrigue. His relationship with Wilson has been very entertaining but agree Wilson has degraded into a caricature of his former self. Foreman’s character has become muddied as well. Cuddy’s interaction certainly spiced things up but it was getting to be same old thing. They need another strong but interesting female to balance things out. Would love to see them introduce a character that can stay ahead of House and his games. (sort of a beat him to the punch character) Enough with the sexcapades. I liked both teams when there was a great storyline behind it. Can’t wait for the season to start. I’m in withdrawal

39. Rose says:

Good, I like Chase. Particularly now they’ve drawn the parallel between him and Thirteen – she euthanized her brother because it was the right thing to do, he killed the dictator for the same reason. And though I’m sure to get flak for it, I’m glad Cuddy’s gone. I don’t like her and I never did. (This is not a slam on Lisa Edelstein, however – she did an admirable job with the role. It’s the role itself that irritates me.)

• Cal says:

Rose, I think that everyone’s entitled to their opinion, and sane fans won’t flak you for it. I do agree with your take on Cuddy. They made her an intolerable b**** during the painful ‘Huddy’ arc and though I feel sad for her gone, as she was an integral part of the cast, I wonder what was left for her character after the S7 finale. Whatever reasons she’s had, she’s decided wisely.

I beg to differ on the parallel between Chase and Thirteen’s ‘murdering someone’. Wilson euthanized, House did, even Cameron did it. If you look at it that way, she could make out with all of them just as well. Chase, he acted for a greater good. He wasn’t personally involved. Whether you morally judge it or not, the issue was much, much bigger and had nothing in common with a mercy killing. I was appalled when they brushed the dictator thing under the carpet. It would have been a great story and had much potential for a mentorship of House, providing guidiance for Chase who has always been a lot like him. They totally ignored and dismissed it. Instead, they pulled the incident out of the hat when Thirteen needed support with her prison inmate, casually connecting the two with the agony of a bad conscience. It’s not the same, it’s a totally different matter, and I felt bad when the writers confessed that Chase was merely an afterthought when they were developing the script for the before mentioned Thirteen-vehicle episode. “Oh, look, let’s get Chase back into the picture and make him her confidant because he has killed someone too.” That’s lazy writing. That’s not what the actor deserves. He can do better than let her shine, and I hope the writers remember how much potential they had with the Chase/House dynamics.

• Stephanie says:

Excellent post, Cal. I couldn’t agree more.

• Erin says:

Agree to all of the above. I was so excited with that meaty dibala storyline… Then we got nothing. No real follow-through. Taub’s philandering got more screentime – wtf?!

• Daniel says:

I agree with cal.The writers/producers totally ignored the consequences of killing Dibala.How can a person deliberately kill someone & continue with his life as nothing has happened.They are willing to focus on 13’s forced euthanization of her brother story witch is just boring & it’s not the first time the show has delt with that.We had a whole episode with Cameron.And House & Wilson did it , so what is the big deal with 13 doing it!?.It’s a really different issue than killing someone on purpose .Dibala arc was a much more interesting story & yet they ignored it as if the writers regretted giving the story to Chase & decided to shift the drama to the walking misery that is 13.This coming season I won’t be as patient as I was during the disastrous S7.Last season or not,I think the first half of S8 is the last chance I give to this show.

• sharon says:

I certainly won’t miss the ridiculous wardrobe they had Cuddy in. Too tight, too much cleavage, very unbelievable a woman concerned with commanding respect would dress like that. Had to be for ratings.

40. ICC says:

How can the ship be sinking – Season 8 has already been confirmed as the last. If anything it’s just about to pull into port.

• erin says:

Icc… PLEASE
      The Main character is a Felon,on the run from the law
      Chase is a Two bit tramp
      Wilson is an one note enabler
      Taub has super sperm
      Oliva Wilde has a terminal disease
      Foreman is the best of the bunch of these loser
      I wouldn’t be superised if the show was cancelled before the end of season 8 perhaps mid season.

41. Angel'yn says:

I will continue to watch House without Lisa and even without Olivia. I know that you’re incredible writers and you can figure something out that should work. Why not bring back Jennifer Morrison to take Cuddys spot? I think you could work out something interesting with that. I’m glad that Chase/Jesse is sticking around. Pleaseeeeee don’t stop House :[

42. Laura says:

Great news! Wish the House writers would have some more substantial story lines for Chase, Wilson and Foreman.
    Personally, I’m glad to see the Cuddy character gone. The last season, the Cuddy character was almost like a young school girl in her reactions towards House. Love him or leave him? Don’t keep him dangling and one thing every mature adult knows…you can NOT change people. Love them as they are or move on.
    Such a great show but I found last season a bit disappointing, again mostly due to the House/Cuddy relationship.
    If the 8th season is the final, I will be sad to see it go. Great actors and for the most part, really good writing.

43. Judy says:

I never was a cuddy fan. So I don’t mind that she is gone. Their relationship was over this past season and irreconcilable ! Now lets get back to the House series. I miss House.

44. Jen says:

I would like to see cuddy back, I liked her and house together. The whole team was wonderful.

45. ah pero ke guapo estas azi zigue te amo

46. Karoline says:

Its fantastic that Jesse Spencer will return. He is for sure my favorite of House’s team. I do hope they will write a good story line for him this year :)

47. Agnes says:

Ohh, that’s definitely a wonderful news that Chase is comming back, I simply adore him playing and his role is very pleasant and funny and without his Australian accent, it wouldn’t be the same! However it’s a great pitty that Cuddy is leaving! I liked her character very much, she created always a very interesting atmosphere and amusing scenes. Wish she would stay! All members of the old team (maybe apart from Cameron) were fabulous and irreplacible.

48. INGRID says:

Que buena noticia…I love him!

49. diane giffin says:

jesse spencer could put his shoes under my bed at any time. so happy he is coming back

50. Chase says:

I always wanted House and probably Wilson to end up taking care of Cuddy’s daughter, looks like it’s not going to happen anyway. Cuddy really wasn’t a big part of the series, she was just the “authority” House was fighting with; in episode “Broken”, Dr. Nolan was the replacement for Cuddy, and it didn’t suck. Whoever takes the authority, House will be just great. Hope they’ll keep Taub, he’s naturally funny and got a great sense of sarcasm, but his wife is just boring. And finally, “eighth and possibly-final season”? that’s just sad.

• tripoli says:

So nice to see someone give a little respect to the character of Taub. Peter Jacobson does a great job with his portrayal.