'Thriller' Vs. 'Somebody to Love'! Madonna Vs. Madonna? Glee's Greatest Tourney Continues!

It’s going to be a “Thriller.” “Heads Will Roll” for sure. But will you find “Somebody to Love” as Round 3 of TVLine.com’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament rages on?

Exclusive: Glee Wants Chord Overstreet Back: ‘The Choice Is His’

Yes, folks, we’re smack in the middle of our third-round battles, and by the time it’s all done, only eight performances will remain. One thing is certain: Madonna will feel both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat when today’s polls close, as her “Like a Virgin” enters the Glee-dome against her “I Love New York” (which is all mashed up with “New York, New York”).

Her Madgesty may not like it, but alas, it’s the only way to determine which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you mentally humming your favorite Glee moments and anxiously wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 3 voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. Vetle says:

What’s up with cheesy “Like a Virgin” making it this far? Are people voting on song alone, and not performance?

2. Paris says:

Well this was a pretty easy round. Somebody to love is one of my favorite moments of glee and mercedes killed it in her solo. Like a Virgin is far superior than the cringe worthy mashup of New York. The choreography/outfits plus the voices of Jesse and Rachel made this an easy choice.

• Glee Kid says:

Paris unfortunately you are without a doubt wrong. People continually confuse this bracket for best song as opposed to best performance. Somebody to love is a very good song and a decent performance but the Thriller mashup was spectacular. It was a game changer. It was when Santana, Britney, Quinn all decided to go to Glee rather than cheer and also when the whole football team decides to join the Glee cast to perform at half time. What was monumental with somebody to love… There is none compared to the Thriller mashup. Please try to convince me otherwise.

• Paris says:

Thriller Mashup was filled with autotune and was too hyped up to deliver a fantastic performance. I am surprised the Thriller Mashup even reached this far. It was basically hairography. Nothing special just some zombies. Somebody to Love was great because it was simple and beautiful. It touched me without all those unnecessary costumes and autotune found in the Thriller Mashup. So unfortunately you are without a doubt wrong but that’s ok. We all each have different opinion.

• Glee Kid says:

It was a HALFTIME show. I mean the dancing was incredible. Led by Mike Chang’s dancing skills it couldn’t be topped. Somebody to love had zombies in it too aka Finn’s dancing. Look at Finn dancing in Somebody to Love he sings like a zombie, even though I enjoy Finn singing. Don’t try to compare one of THE more epic moments in Glee to Somebody to Love. What monumental event happened in Somebody to love. Think about it… In the Thriller Mashup I will say it again 3 of the main stars decided to ditch cheer and go with Glee. Korofsky shows his love for Glee and dances with them despite the slushee. C’mon this truly was a performance. And yes it is ok that we have different opinions but people should understand that the Thriller half time show was epic.

• M. Chang says:

As much as I hate to agree with someone as narrow-minded as Glee Kid, I do have to say that Mike Chang’s dancing pushes it to the top. Without him, then yes, Somebody to Love has a chance to win. Thriller is actually one of my favorite songs from the show and it was an epic performance. Somebody to Love is good, but it’s not a performance that pumps you up.

• Paris says:

that’s the problem with Glee season 2. It’s all glitz and glamar and hardly any heart like season 1. The halftime show did not impress me. Just because the cheerleaders and the jocks joined didn’t mean a thing to me. The Single Ladies thing was epic when the jocks did it. Thriller mashup was just tiring to look at. I seriously think that was a terrible idea when the cheerleaders ditched cheerleading. Now Sue basically has no revelance. People use the word epic too much, now it has no meaning.

• Glee Kid says:

Sure if that’s what you want to believe. Sue is not relevant to the story any longer… Does anyone believe that. I am done with this. Mike Chang RULES. I love glamar/glamour. Glee Kid Outro

• Jenny says:

I agree with Paris about Somebody to Love. That was the moment where New Directions was really born. I still get goosebumps when I hear it come on. Although I enjoyed Thriller/Heads Will Roll I feel it really represents when this show changed from the magic of season 1 to commercial aspect of season 2. It was all glitz and glamour and no emotion like Somebody had. Without the costumes and huge production, Thriller/Heads Will Roll isn’t the same. You need the entire production to make it really work. Somebody to Loves doesn’t need that.

• Becca says:

I agree! Also, New Directions isn’t complete without Chris Colfer (Kurt) and it feels more complete with him. Somebody To Love was where glee was born, and most of the actors say that it is the best song. Thriller was great, but a lot of people like it because it is a momumental song. It was a great song, but Somebody To Love, although not as momumental, was sang so greatly.

• Lauren says:

I completely agree Paris. Season two was so hit and miss when it came to song selection it almost gave me whiplash. Also, has anyone else noticed that for a show CHOIR they do very little choral performance? Show Choir (which I was in all through high school) is not about solos, it’s about dancing and singing TOGETHER. In any case the over the top Disney Channel style acting that went on this season was enough to make me want to tear my hair out. Costumes and make up do not make a musical number better, just more expensive. That is why Somebody to Love is beating Thriller and Like a Virgin is beating New York. The chemistry in those numbers is so sincere that it emotionally takes you to a different place even if the relevance to the storyline isn’t there.

• Morgan says:

That is absolutely, 100% true. I completely agree with you. This season suffered from inconsistency and overly emotional dialogue. It became so production based that it was hard to still buy that the New Directions were a financially struggling high school show choir. Somebody to Love is one of the best moments in the series and, in my opinion, can only be beat by Faithfully because of it’s relevance to the plot (and Lea Michelle’s stellar vocal).

3. Taylor says:

Easy round.
    Somebody to Love was a great show choir piece that still gives me chills.
    Like a Virgin for the synchronized “sex” scene. Where else would you see that?

4. Dan says:

It’s sad to say that in 9 out of 10 cases, a season 1 song would be MUCH better than any season 2 song. I’m sure I’m not the only one feels like Glee lost it in the second season, going for weird song choices and random guest stars instead of focusing on core characters and classic songs.

• Paris says:

thank you Dan. This is what I’ve been telling people. Season 2 can never be on season 1’s level, especially the first thirteen episodes of season 1. Ryan Murphy sold out by having irrelevant songs to the plot so he can make money off of it.

• Steph says:

I entirely disagree, I’m in the middle of rewatching season 1 and keep thinking to myself wow, season 2 is way better.

• Amber says:

You’re not the only one that feels that way. I miss the days when Rachel was slightly scary in a stalker way, Sue was an evil genius, Santana was just plain evil, Kurt could be a carefree kid without fearing for his life, and every other line out of every character’s mouth was an incredibly funny one-liner that you had to repeat over and over. My favorite one liner will always be–“Hi, my name is Kurt Hummel, and I’ll be auditioning for football kicker.”

I also miss the days when the bullying was nothing more than an annoyance and a slushy in the face. Season 2 turned it into something so frightening. I am very aware that in real life it’s an important issue that needs to be addressed, but the bullying storylines and character changes from season two have kind of taken some of the crazy fun out of the show for me. I pull out season 1 on DVD and watch it whenever I’m in a bad mood because the show honestly made me so happy and put me in such a good mood and made me laugh and love life. I could never buy season two. It was all just too sad.

5. Amber says:

Woo hoo, go Like a Virgin!! Singing–awesome. Performance–awesome. Plus from a filmmaking perspective it seemed like kind of a difficult number to do with 3 different scenes going on needing to have continuity and that great flow from one scene into the next. I really think it was a nightmare song for the editors to put together, but they did a great job, it was wonderful.

For the other one, I voted for Thriller because I really liked the dancing and costumes. I accept that it was a bit of hairography, but I just really liked the dancing. And yes, I know my Thriller and Like a Virgin choices here probably show my age. I would not be hurt though if Somebody to Love wins the round. I re-listened to that song the other day and found I liked it a lot better than I did the first time I saw the episode. It’s not a very dance-y number, but they did a great job singing it and it feels like it has heart. Plus it’s Rachel’s first moment of humility.

6. Eli says:

Predictions for the Final Four songs:

Solos – Don’t Rain On My Parade
    Duets – I Feel Pretty/Unpretty
    Group numbers – Don’t Stop Believin’
    Curators Choice – Teenage Dream

Have to admit this would have been my prediction at the very beginning as well. Personally I think Somebody To Love was a much better song than Don’t Stop Believin’, but the latter is too iconic for this show to not make it to the finale.
    Winner will be Don’t Stop Believin’, but should be I Feel Pretty/Unpretty.

• Tamara says:

Omg I have the exact same predictions as you and I also think Somebody To Love is much superior to Don’t Stop Believin’, but the fact that DSB was the first song of the show probably gives STL a tough chance.
      I’m going to be rooting for Don’t Rain On My Parade to take the whole thing, because Lea Michele’s performance gives me chills everytime I watch it and it remains my favorite Glee song to date. But I’d be happy if it won just the solos too, any acknowledgement of the brilliance that is Lea Michele, really. I hope voters pick Somebody To Love over Don’t Stop Believing, but both songs are great so it’s a win-win case.

7. Gleek (nuff said) says:

Why is I Love New York/New York New York still there? I’m sorry but it really was not one of the best mash ups on the show, let alone one of the best performances. That being said, I was amused by Santana’s scenes with the cop, although any scene with Santana is my choice, another reason why Like a Virgin, (another one whose presence so far in the competition confuses me, but on a much lesser level), was my pick. As for the other one, although Thriller/Heads Will Roll was a well planned out and respectable performance, it was not as iconic for the show as Somebody to Love. I’ve watched that scene multiple times which made it all worthwhile when I saw it live.

8. mandy says:

Like a virgin was cheezy and fun and had alot of my favorite people. Fun!

9. Hannah Montana says:

Honestly, how did ‘Like a Virgin’ and the New York mashup even make it this far? Both were OKAY, but deffinetly should have been out a couple rounds ago. Season One songs were more relevant than Season Two, but I’m sick of everyone acting as if Season One was golden, and Season Two was complete trash. Season 1 had its problems too, sometimes it was stupid, and ridiculous too. Season two was just more stupid and ridiculous, and more irrelevant. And as much crap that was said about Season 2, Glee is more popualar than ever.

10. kashiichan says:

I normally love Glee’s mashups, but ‘I Love New York/New York New York’ was terrible.

11. othfan says:

Somebody to Love and NY!!! Don’t wanna have to choose between Somebody to love and Pretty/Unpretty if it comes to that… Of all that’s left, I’ll vote for Don’t rain on my parade, Firework, somebody to love and I feel pretty. We’ll see what is left by then.

12. Cam says:

I’m usually okay with song wars. I just skirt around them. However, this caught my attention. Seriously, you may hate on glitz and glam, but think about it. Isn’t that what showbiz is all about?The fancy lights, costumes, and choreography? I mean, look at Firework and Teenage Dream. I understand that Somebody to Love is a classic-I really do. It’s just, sometimes there are other songs that are all glitz and glam and are legacies. Just look at Katy Perry and Lady Gaga and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
    Also, don’t hate on mash-ups. People actually took time out of their busy lives to make something worthwhile. Plus, it was in the finale, so they knew it had to be something big to end the season with all the original songs. And for you to hate on their hard work? That’s just plain not fair to the fans who actually appreciate it.
    Now, I’m not trying to start a fan war or anything, I’m just trying to send a message here.
    Be careful of what you hate, and how you hate on it. There are some pretty scary fangirls out there who will come rushing to defend their respective celebrity, song, character, whatever. Tumblr is mighty good proof.

13. Lily says:

take a chill pill Cam and calm down. Everyone has their opinions. I’m sure Paris did not mean to insult the hard work of Glee.

14. Caroline says:

This round was a piece of cake: Somebody to Love and Like A Virgin for the win.

15. Andi says:

I hated Thriller/Heads Will Roll at first. Then I listened to it in the car a few times and loved it. I can’t say the same for Somebody to Love which I skip past nearly every single time. I preferred hearing Anne Hathaway sing it in Ella Enchanted than New Directions.

Like a Virgin, I can’t stand it. However I’m baffled that the New York mess made it this far and I’m voting for Like a Virgin as an attempt to stop it from moving any further. If Like a Virgin beats it this round, I’ll vote for almost anything to knock Like a Virgin out of the next one.

16. Kelly says: