TVLine Items: Housewives Eyes Final Season, True Bloody Dexter Casting News, and More

ABC may soon decide that the upcoming season of Desperate Housewives is its last — or possibly wait to see how the eight-year-old sudser and the network’s new dramas (Pan Am, Charlie’s Angels and Once Upon a Time included) perform when the fall season starts.

“It’s all dependent on the ratings,” a source tells TV Guide Magazine. “[Housewives] will be up against some stiff competition” — CBS’ transplanted and extremely buzzy The Good Wife included.

Are you ready to say goodbye to the Housewives? Vote in our poll below!

Desperate Housewives Exclusive: V Hunk Is Vanessa Williams’ New Beau

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well….

Callum Keith Rennie, who is currently snarking at David Strathairn on Syfy’s Alphas, has joined the cast of the NBC midseason drama The Firm, our sister site Deadline reports. In the follow-up to the big-screen adaptation of the John Grisham novel, Rennie will play the older brother of Josh Lucas’ Ray McDeere.

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

• Also per Deadline: Showtime’s Dexter has tapped True Blood‘s head-turning vamp, Mariana Klaveno, for the recurring role of a university professor…. Recurring Necessary Roughness player/Raising the Bar alum Teddy Sears is the latest to join Lifetime’s new Drew Peterson pic, playing the title character’s best buddy.

Harry’s Law has promoted Christopher McDonald aka charismatic attorney Tommy Jefferson to a series regular for the NBC dramedy’s second season, Variety reports.

Fall 2011 TV Grid: Where Did Your Favorite Shows Land?

• That li’l whippersnapper Avril Lavigne will kick of America’s Got Talent‘s string of live shows this Wednesday night by dropping in to perform the singles “What the Hell” and “Smile,” EW.com reports. The same results show will also feature a performance from the Broadway musical Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

1. Jack S says:

I do love Desperate Housewives most of the time, but it certainly isn’t my favourite show on TV and wouldn’t be that sad to see it go. I think it’s time is about up, give it a proper ending.

As long as the wonderful Eva Longoria isn’t off my screen too long before finding another great new show.

2. Tucker says:

And Straithairn, of course, played the part in the film that Rennie is taking on.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nice segue! You get 100 TVLine Power Commenter Bonus Points* for that.

* Fictional rewards program

3. Ingmar says:

I love Desperate Housewives, but if I was Cherry I’d mark the upcoming season as their last so the show still has the chance to go out with a bang and give closure to all characters. This show deserves proper closure and this way they are prepared for it instead of ending the show with a cliffhanger with the hope it may be back for yet another year…no matter how high the ratings will be this year I still think they should end it on their own terms.

4. Kevin says:

Most likely to see DH come to an end even with shows like HOUSE and TWO AND A HALF MEN and possibly GREY’S ANATOMY are on life support. Hoping ABC will finally find a few breakout series that will definitely break that curse with Charlie’s Angels, Pan Am and Once Upon a Time destined to get past the Fall season and hopefully get renewed for a full season and get pickup for SEASON TWO.

5. Guy says:

I am a huge fan of Desperate Housewives but no matter how high or how low the ratings are for this show and the others around it, i think that this season should be its last. That way it can go out the way Cherry wants it to instead of a Brothers and Sister and V debacle where its left on a cliffhanger and cancelled. I am still furious at ABC for this but life goes on i guess.

6. nonabgo says:

Desperate Housewives turned into a daytime drama after season 3, it should have ended a long time ago or moved to a time slot more suitable for grannies.

7. Justin says:

Desperate Housewives should have ended after the season they jumped five years in the future. That show is so stale at this point.

8. Steven says:

Really? The Good Wife is stiff competition? It was on the verge of cancellation before it was moved to Sundays. That is not competition. And other than that the competition is nothing new this year. But, I do think the show should end this season.

9. ErixN says:

That’s unfortunate that Tommy Jefferson will be a regular now.

10. Liz says:

It’s time for Desperate Housewives to come to an end. I have thoroughly enjoyed over the years, but it past its prime and I’m ready to let it go. The same goes for Grey’s Anatomy, especially since this upcoming season may very well be Ellen Pompeo’s and Patrick Dempsey’s last season.

11. Lisa says:

I’ve been debating whether or not to watch this upcoming season. I’ve been leaning toward not, but if it is going to be the last season I might watch just to see how it ends. I also agree that it should be the end of Grey’s Anatomy and also House. They have all had good runs & it is time for them all to end.

• Carrie says:

Agree that DH and Grey’s should end after the upcoming season. Both shows have had good runs but there isn’t much left for either in terms of new story lines.

12. BILLY MARTINS says:

i think they shall give desperate housewives one more yr then decided to get rid of it.what they should do as of this season is give a thirteen episode run then break up for they reminder of they winter they return the rest of they episodes in they spring to give another show a chance in it’s timeslot for the reminder of the winter.

13. Robert says:

I think the show has a lot of life left in it! This past season has been one of my favorites and I think the show should continue for at least a 9th season! I also agree, The Good Wife is NOT competition. If house were to move to Sun, then we would have competition. The show has even done great against award shows although it cost the show a couple million. However the show should go for at least nine then end.

14. Zvoce says:

DH is the best show ever, would be rly rly bad to end!

15. Evan Meadow says:

I listed other. Let the producers/writers figure out exactly how long they need to tell everything they still want to (that way if they know they need two seasons to do it) and give them exactly that.

The show has definitely gotten to the point where the craziness of the plots has gone into “Melrose Place” territory without Marcia Cross needing to shave her head again. So the buildup to the end I think should begin.

16. TheFlyGuy2 says:

No, the show can easily survive two more seasons. Though the ratings have dipped, the show still performs very well for an aging drama. I think that with improved writing, darker storylines and a real season-long mystery, the show may stableize and could work well for ABC over the next several seasons.

17. Amber says:

I watch DH, but I could live with the show being canceled without totally freaking out. I couldn’t say that about a lot of other shows I watch.

18. Scottyb says:

I am not ready to Desperate Housewives to end its run. This last season was its best since the first season. I do think the show needs some fresh blood in the area of casting. Vanessa Williams was totally underutilized this past season and we know she has the acting chops from her time on Ugly Betty, and she deserves a better story line than the one they have given her. I think it is time for Felicity Huffman to go, even though I like her as an actress, Lynette has been one of the dullest characters on DS for several seasons. I am sick of Teri Hatcher; I really wanted her character to die last season. The character of Susan has been annoying since day one. Even though All My Children has been saved, I still hope the rumors are true that Susan Lucci wants to join the cast of DS; I think she would be a great addition to the show.

19. Vanny says:

Love Callum Keith Rennie!

20. lara says:

Nooooo I don’t want desperate 2 end plzzz its my favorite show of all timeee plzzz don’t be the final season

21. gacord87 says:

DO NOT END THE SHOW THIS NEXT SEASON…IT’S GOT A LOT OF LIFE LEFT IN IT! IF ABC ENDS THIS SHOW U WILL HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE SIGNING FOR A PETITION TO KEEP IT ON! I STILL WANT TO SEE THEM BRING BACK MARY-ALICE AKA ; ANGELA FORREST AND SHOW HER LIFE BEFORE WISTERIA LANE..& HOW ALL HER LIFE CAME TO BE…I WANT TO KNOW HOW SHE MET PAUL..HOW SHE DECIDED SHE WANTED TO BE A NURSE..ETC….I HAVE BEEN AN AVID FAN N SUPPORTER OF THIS SHOW SINCE DAY 2! I AM COMPLETELY #OBSESSED WITH THIS SHOW…I WOULD LOVE IF U BRANG KATHERINE MAYFAIR BACK AS WELL FOR A BIT…MAYBE TO EVEN WRAP UP HER STORY LINE FOR GOOD…AS WELL AS ANGIE BOLEN..SHE BROUGHT SO MUCH TO THE SHOW..SHE WAS ONE OF MY NEW FAVS! SEASON 1, 5, 6, & 7 HAVE BEEN THE BEST THUS FAR! #1FAN, –G