Sherwood Schwartz Dies at 94; Created The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island

If you know the story of a man named Brady, or if you’ve ever sat right back and heard the tale, the tale of a fateful trip, then take a moment today to mourn the passing of Sherwood Schwartz, who not only created classic family sitcoms The Brady Bunch and Gilligan’s Island, but also wrote their famous theme songs. Schwartz, who also won a comedy-writing Emmy in 1961 for his work on The Red Skelton Hour, died in Los Angeles early this morning at the age of 94, his great niece told The Associated Press.

The Brady Bunch, a squeaky clean sitcom about a blended family created by the marriage of a widowed man and woman, ran for five seasons, from 1969 to 1974, and spawned a pair of hit big-screen comedies in the mid 1990s. Gilligan’s Island, about a wacky band of people shipwrecked on a deserted isle, ran from 1964-1967. Both shows lived on in popularity — and won legions of new fans — via syndicated reruns over the next several decades. Check out a Brady episode and some clips embedded below, then share your own memories of The Brady Bunch and Gilligan’s Island in the comments.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Ralph says:

RIP Mr Schwartz. Thank you for wonderful childhood (and adult) memories. Your works will be remembered forever.

2. darclyte says:

He’s a legend, and legends never truly die. RIP, and thank you so very much Mr. Schwartz.

3. Karen says:

Such a huge part of my childhood. Sigh. Well SS, you will live on forever through these shows because they’ll never quit showing them somewhere.

• j mason says:

The Brady Bunch Is/was the best show in the world.
      (Next to Little House on The Prarie)
      I have the FURRY SHAG BOX of DVD’s. I actually love referring to episodes from time to time, and laugh!!
      There are so many to mention. Maybe we should bring back the word ‘Groovy’ and nix the word ‘LIKE’!!!
      I just love when there is a Brady Bunch question that pops up..I usually know it!!
      I have The Brady Bunch (beginning)Song as my ring tone…my kids roll their eyes…when it rings …I love it!
      (wondering if Mr. Schwartz was the man that played the manager at the department store???)
      My sadness goes to his family for their loss.

4. Keith says:

When I was a kid (in the early 80s) – i use to watch the Brady Bunch and was devastated when I found out that I was watching them in reruns because I had a huge crush on Jan and then realized she was a married woman by then. Thanks Sherwood for the wonderful shows, the deliciously campy movies, and the constant fighting with Robert Reed! Hope you two make up up there.

5. Menda says:

R.I.P Mr. Schwartz. He was a client at a firm I worked for years ago and he was always pleasant and soft spoken. Very sweet man.

6. Evan Meadow says:

RIP to a legend in the industry.

7. raelee514 says:

He created two major shows of my youth, I spend much time on the floor in my grandmother’s house watching Gilligan’s Island and the Brady Brunch.

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!

8. zanchki says:

There is a wonderful letter on The Hollywood Reporter that was written by Schwartz to be published upon his death.

RIP sir, and thanks for the memories.

9. George Vreeland Hill says:

Sherwood Schwartz was a wonderful person who was so full of life.
    He cared about every person he came in contact with and never forgot them.
    He was a loving family man and friend.
    Sherwood’s talent was amazing and what he did and created gave millions of people joy and memories.
    He will be missed, but always loved.

George Vreeland Hill