Fall TV Preview

Scoop! Harry's Law Retains Mark Valley as New Series Regular, Jean Smart as Guest Star

Boston Legal alum Mark Valley is returning to David E. Kelley’s courtroom, as a new series regular on Harry’s Law.

Most recently seen as a Human Target (and before that, on Fringe), Valley is joining NBC’s sophomore legal dramedy as, no, not Boston Legal eagle Brad Chase, but Oliver Richard, one of two new attorneys joining Harriett Korn’s law firm this fall.

Karen Olivo (The Good Wife) has been cast as Harry’s other new hire, Cassie Reynolds.

Also on the docket for Harry’s Law: Emmy-winning 24 alum (and former governor of Hawaii) Jean Smart has been booked for a three-episode arc as Roseanna Remmick, the D.A. prosecuting the high-profile murder trial featuring guest star Alfred Molina (Law & Order: LA) as the accused aka Harry’s client.

The casting of Valley and Olivo fills the void left by original cast members Brittany Snow and Aml Ameen, neither of whom is continuing with the series. Also, Christopher McDonald aka Tommy Jefferson has been bumped up to series regular status.

Harry’s Law returns September 21, in its new time slot of Wednesdays at 9/8c

Comments (34)

• Thank You!!!

Harry’s Law was losing me lately with all these ch-ch-ch-changes.

The additions of Mark Valley, who I loved in Human Target (very under-rated show), and Karen Olivo are starting to make me calm down. Turning Chris McDonald (who will always be Shooter McGavin to me) into a series regular was an amazing move as well.

I think David E. Kelley just wants to make this show more serious. Because it did sort of start off on a ridiculous note, what-with people falling out of the sky and landing on Kathy Bates and all.

Comment by Nicotine – July 12, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad you enlightened me as to what happened. I came here because I thought I missed something. I thought maybe I missed the season opener or something. I couldn’t figure out where all the ‘old’ people went and where all the ‘new’ people came from, namely Mark Valley and Karen Olivio. Don’t get me wrong, I like the new format. I just didn’t get it. Like I said, I thought I missed an episode. Thank you for putting things in perspective.

Comment by TommyKnockerz – November 30, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I love Mark Valley a lot and love having him on my screen but seriously? They cut the black characters so they could add new white men? Really?

Comment by xav – July 12, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last time i checked Karen Olivo was still black! WINNING!

Comment by Charlie Sheen – July 12, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love you for that comeback! Someone always trying to stir the pot.

Comment by lauren – July 12, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You had better check again Charlie. Karen Olivio is Hispanic, Native American and Asian.

Comment by Lois – July 12, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • actually if you want to get technical about her ethnicity…she is of Dominican, Puerto Rican, Native American, and Chinese descent….

Comment by jpl – July 13, 2011 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Good God, and I thought I was a mutt. That’s alright though because whatever her race is, whatever the mixture, it sure mixed to make one beautiful lady!!!!! With everything she has in her, I wonder if she’d like to have some German, Italian and Native American in her. I’d sure like to put some in her……sorry, I have a warped sense of humor and I just couldn’t resist that one….LOL.

Comment by TommyKnockerz – November 30, 2011 07:16 PM PDT
    • It’s called colour-blind casting. You choose the best actor for the job, regardless of their race, since you can always tweak the storyline to accomodate glaring differences – i.e. two biological siblings of clearly different races. I’m not disputing the fact that there probably are some racists doing the casting/producing in Hollywood, but you shouldn’t automatically assume that means all of them are that way. It reveals far more about your victim mentality than it does any innate racism in these shows.

Comment by dfs – July 13, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t have a problem with who they cast. It would have been funnier if he were cast as Brad Chase (didn’t the Brad Chase character leave to go practice the type of law Harry is practicing?. It is however, strange that they are casting two lawyers to replace a legal secretary and a paralegal. I never thought they did much with Jenna’s character anyway. Are they going to get rid of the shoes (which I always thought was sort of stupid) or are the lawyers going to sell them?

Comment by Snsetblaze – July 13, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great! I loved Mark Valley on Human Target. He’d be a fantastic addition to Harry’s Law. Love this show.

Comment by Kelly – July 12, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Paul McCrane?

Comment by Jordan – July 12, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhh I will miss the character played by Brittany Snow. Who is going to keep all the lawyers in line? Adding lawyers to the law firm is going to change the balance and the fact that the group is a seat of your pants kind of thing. I hope that these changes do not change the flavor of the show that I have come to love

Comment by Wendy – July 12, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I won’t miss Brittany’s character at all. I found her ridiculous and annoying. I like the actress though and hope she finds something else.

Comment by Sarah – July 12, 2011 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Owwwww, that really drives home that [i]Human Target[/i] was canceled. Irrational hope that somehow the series would find life again is thoroughly dashed now. Glad to see Valley got another gig so quick, though.

Comment by Tucker – July 12, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad too but just wish he’d gotten his own show.

Comment by Sue – July 12, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittany Snows was the only reason I watched this show, loved her from American Dreams, such a shame she had to go. Maybe she can come work on my dream TV Project once I get things off the ground

Comment by Jericho227 – July 12, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great. Can’t wait for it to be back on the air. Maybe the critics will now get behind it a bit. It’s a really good show.

Comment by jasin – July 12, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet on HARRY’s LAW to beat CRIMINAL MINDS on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. come September 21st.

Comment by Kevin – July 12, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled to see Valley back in action!

Comment by SMidnite – July 13, 2011 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was kinda hoping to see him again in Fringe… Too bad !

Comment by claire – July 13, 2011 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harry Law will not beat CM once they were forced by viewers to get the entire team back together.

Comment by Amanda – July 13, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool news, I am still deeply mourning Human Target so it’s great to see Mark Valley land on Harry’s Law (now I gotta start watching that show!) Plus I adore Alfred Molina going back to Enchanted April. I was just watching Chi McBride do his thing in old eps of Pushin’ Daisies — does anyone know if Chi and Jack Earl have new shows lined up?

Comment by Morgan – July 13, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news. I was going to give up on Harry’s Law but I’ve really liked Mark Valley since Keen Eddie (a show that should have received more publicity, it was fun). I didn’t like Brittany’s character, but I like the actress. Maybe if the writers had given her character a different direction… Not really liking the Tommy Jefferson character, hope they tone him down a bit.

Comment by K – July 13, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ahhhh Keen Eddie! One of my all-time favourite shows. I wish they’d bring it back, although I guess Siena Miller is too busy with her fashion shows.

Comment by ChiChi – July 13, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching Harry’s Law. I’ll watch now for Valley, but still feel the show is doomed. Mark Valley deserves better than a supporting role. TPTB screwed up Human Target by adding that Pucci character. The chemistry was perfect before she showed up. Valley needs a starring role on an action show as he had on HT.

Comment by Templar – July 13, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Humnan Target and we were so disappointed when it was canceled. I was hoping another network, like USA or TNT, would pick it up. I love Mark Valley, too, but I’m not sure I’ll watch Harry’s Law just for him. I watched the first few episodes of Harry’s Law and was annoyed with all the moralizing. I might give it a shot once Mark is on. Maybe with all the changes, they’ll tone down on the righteousness, too. If not, I won’t stick around. Even for Mark.

Comment by Bella – July 13, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may just have to watch this now. Haven’t as of yet.
    I loved him in Human Target.

Comment by kirads09 – July 13, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch! I guess I am the only person who can’t stand Mr. Valley.
    But I’ll still continue to watch Harry’s Law.

Comment by Alienate – July 13, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the plot as ridiculous as it was. I loved the setting because it was ridiculously unique. I loved the mission–help those that can’t help themselves. I loved everything about the 2010 series. We have too much seriousness in this society and not enough laughter. These changes may be wonderful or they may take away the uniqueness and thus the appeal for me. If The Tommy Jefferson character changes to a serious attorney I will probably change the channel. Why can’t we keep a good thing that appeals to so many beyond 50 years of age.

Comment by Ginny Haymes – September 7, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch any more!!! Sorry to say the lack of black people in the show is the reason!!!! Can they give new people a try. All they seem to do is bounce the same people around from show to show!

Comment by Sheila – September 23, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow what a difference!! I’m undecided about whether I like it better or not. It’s still a good show but the reasons I started watching was the premise that it was a small firm that was entrenched in the hood and had a variety of characters while an unusual ensemble for a law show sitcom worked without being too over the top. Without the hood, Malcolm, Jenna, and Damien why not just have Harry move back to her old law firm and just change her specialty from patent to criminal law. I won’t lie I’ve liked some of David E. Kelly’s shows but I’ve never made it far into a series other than Picket Fences and that’s probably because I was younger and didn’t have but 5 channels to choose from. Now that I’m older and paying for cable I would watch Harry’s Law if nothing else is on because it got rid of everything that drew me in except Kathy Bates. I think she’s a remarkable actress but where are the contrasting characters, (oh i guess it’s supposed to be Tommy and Oliver) two old white guys shocker. I’m not rascist and watch a wide variety of shows from Desperate Housewives to Modern Family to How I Met Your Mother and there aren’t any major black characters in those until Vanessa Williams edition to Desperate. The 1st episode will pull me back to watch next week I liked Bates and Smart’s moments together and the animosity between the two, hilarious. But will Harry fight for the little guy anymore, are they still in the hood, what happens with the shoe store, and how is this different from other law shows? Just a few questions that make me wonder why so many changes it did well enough in the 1st season to get picked up for another and could’ve built on that and had further character development. It just seems like a whole other show altogether but it’s only episode one so we’ll see.

Comment by enigma17001 – September 28, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems Kelley just wanted the show picked up, then he just went back to where he is comfortable, the run of the mill legal dramedy.Unless this is a dream sequence to start the season, then they have lost my support. At least it has become “whiter” and will appease the majority.

Comment by Patrick B – September 29, 2011 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jean Smart’s character doesn’t add to the show. I’ll turn the channel when I see that she’s on the show. Why is it that when a show is great, the writers go whacky and make changes.

Comment by Stramada – November 4, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post