Glee's Greatest? Round 3 of Our Tourney Kicks Off With 'Teenage Dream' Vs. 'Forget You'

Round 3 of’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament begins today, which means 16 of the most iconic performances from the show will do bloody battle until only eight competitors are left standing.

Exclusive: Glee Wants Chord Overstreet Back: ‘The Choice Is His’

Entering the ring right now, Season 2’s buzziest cast additions — Darren Criss and Gwyneth Paltrow — go head-to-head in our Curator’s Choice division, while the one that started it all (“Don’t Stop Believing”) battles the breakthrough original track (“Loser Like Me”) in the New Directions’ Greatest Hits section.

Whittling the field down to eight quarterfinalists is going to be hard, but alas, it’s the only way to determine which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you mentally humming your favorite Glee moments and anxiously wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 3 voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Glee kid says:

OMG. SMH to teenage dream. Mike Chang isn’t in it hence the performance was not up to par. He was kind of in Forget You so that song wins by default.

• F says:

I like Teenage Dream better than Forget You but I will be really upset if it or any other Warbler song ends up winning the tournament overall. I am very disappointed in the obsession with the Warblers, I feel like they took up an annoying amount of screentime this season.

• S-tm says:

Agreed! Their songs aren’t even that good. I don’t know why people go gaga over them

• Ali says:

Well some people – like myself – enjoy true acapella and it was refreshing for the covers on Glee to have such a different feel to them from the originals. Though even I myself got tired of them over time and will be happy not to see them in season 3. I have a whole album of their songs now, I’m satisfied.

• julie says:

but “Teenage Dream” wasn’t acapella. there was definitely music playing in the background.

• Jessica says:

Julie, Teenage dream is completely acapella. All of the sounds you hear are being made with the voices of the Warblers. Good acapella can make it seem like there is music playing when there isn’t.

• Maggie says:

ALL the Warbler songs are totally awesome!! I love them all! I will NEVER get tired of listening to the Warblers Album!

• TheReasonsY says:

For me, what made the Warblers great was simply this: their covers were better than the originals in most cases. Sadly, both of the those cases were Teenaged Dream and Hey Soul Sister where Katy Perry has great songs but her voice isn’t appealing to me and the Train song that I hate. It makes the performances stand out more in that case.

• F says:

The only Warblers song that is arguably better than the original is Teenage Dream, and I am fine with it making it this far, but like I said, I sincerely hope it doesn’t win the entire thing. I find the Warblers to be nothing but bland Top 40 covers – New Directions also did more Top 40 stuff this year, but at least watching New Directions is fun. They move, they dance, they smile – the Warblers are like robots, and while their songs may be good in some cases, their performances are not interesting to watch

2. Sam says:

Can anyone clue me in on why Don’t Stop Believing is winning/has gotten this far? I’m one of those people who liked the first 8 episodes of Glee then got over it, but still, DSB has had many superior competitors. And Loser Like Me was a decent original song. Shouldn’t a B+ original defeat a B- cover?

• Sally says:

An A- cover defeats a C+ original any day for me.

• F says:

I am confused as to why ‘Pilot’ DSB is beating Loser Like Me. If it were the Regionals version of Don’t Stop Believing I would understand a little better, but I still think Loser Like Me was such a fun and awesome moment for the show and fits the storyline so well.

• Matt says:

I totally agree. Don’t Stop Believing was iconic, and it was why a lot of us fell in love with the show in the first place, but if you go back and watch it now, I hate to say it, but it’s not that great. The staging is pretty basic and some of the vocals (*cough cory monteith *cough) are slightly underwhelming. It’s not bad, but “Glee’s Greatest?” I just can’t see it.

Loser Like Me, on the other hand, I felt did a GREAT job of capturing exactly what this show is all about, and they did it with a catchy, wonderfully choreographed number. I realize I’m in the minority on this one, but I stand by my belief that the majority is fooling themselves.

• Justin says:

When people think of Glee in the future, they will look at that performance of DSB as what started everything. Whatever you think about the show itself, that performance is iconic.

• Allyson says:

If “Don’t Stop Believin'” is so “iconic,” why bother with this bracket/competition if it’s just going to beat all of the others?

• F says:

Really?! I think the Regionals Version is much better. A much fuller sound and features a wider array of vocal talents – what makes you think the original is better?

• teecie says:

“why bother with this bracket/competition if it’s just going to beat all of the others?” Because it’s summer and there’s not a lot worth watching on TV right now, so why not rehash a good show’s good moments?

3. Carolyn says:

Sam. I have a clue that DSB is winning for the same reason I voted for it. While Loser Like Me was amazing and one of my faves, DSB is the signature song of the show and kind of a touchstone. It was hard to vote against LLM but ultimately that was my personal reasoning. Not sure if it helps.

4. Leah says:

Easy for me. Don’t Stop Believin’, because it just encapsulates Glee. And Teenage Dream because, well, it’s Teenage Dream and it’s Darren Criss. That was just an awesome performance.

• F says:

Just because Darren Criss sings it doesn’t make it the best. I like Teenage Dream better than Forget You, but it would be a shame to see it win just because of Darren fangirls. Darren himself is great, but Blaine and the Warblers are the most overrated things to ever happen to Glee… Well, except maybe Mr. Schuester.

• Wow says:

Oh F, why so bitter over Darren Criss? I’ve read several of your comments now on different boards and every one of them bashes Blaine and the Warblers. You call them overrated…a large portion of Glee’s audience would disagree. Their album was incredibly successful and different accounts of Glee Live have all stated that the Warblers’ performance received some of the loudest cheers. Clearly they’ve found their niche.

• F says:

Because they take away screen time from characters I like – Kurt got enough screentime without the producers creating A WHOLE ENTIRE OTHER SCHOOL OF CHARACTERS FOR HIM. Kurt got better towards the end of the season when he returned to McKinley, but for the most part I found watching scenes with him in it painful and obnoxious. I acknowledge that some of his storylines are very serious, but the rest of the time the characters uses that as an excuse to pitch a fit when other things that don’t matter don’t go his way either – Britney/Brittany, anyone? Also, the Warblers pretty much strictly do Top 40 songs and while sometimes they are good (Teenage Dream), they are boring to watch. They don’t move. It would be a shame to see a machine-like mass win this competition when I feel that the true heart of Glee is and always should be New Directions.

5. Amy says:

DSB deserves to be here because it is what first made Glee what it is and made me love the show from the start.

6. Juan says:

I’m glad “Forget You” is losing so far. It was such a sterilized version of the song in every way.
    Teenage Dream is better than the original, and so far the best new character introduction the show has had.

7. Brittnie says:

This round was hard for me. I love Teenage Dream way more than forget you, so that was easy. But it was hard because Don’t Stop Believing was the first and one of the best, but Loser Like Me is kind of an anthem for the whole show.

8. Kelly says:

Teenage Dream was good, but seriously, I don’t understand they hype with this song. There are so many other better songs!!! Forget You definitely has my vote! Gwenyth Paltrow is just awesome!

9. mgawsmestevan says:

Each of the ones winning deserve their spot, because they were more than a cover. DSB has a choir feel to it and its just unique. Hence why it will win over ALL these songs in the end. Teenage Dream is completely accapella and was something we’d never heard before. Both of those songs are unique, because they were the first. IMO Raise Your Glass/SOWK was my favorite Warbler song, and Somebody To Love/Like A Prayer were my favorite New Directions performances. But everyone always remembers the first. That’s how I see it.

10. Christina says:

At this point Dont Stop Believing is the only hope to beat Teenage Dream or and Klaine song.

• Taylor says:

I think Unpretty/I Feel Pretty has a good shot at taking down BICO. After all, it barely edged out RD,MH.

• F says:

Ahhhh I really hope I Feel Pretty/Unpretty beats Baby It’s Cold Outside. I don’t like that song or their performance of it at all!

• Ali says:

I’m gonna have such a hard time voting in that one, since I love both of the songs. I might just have to choose I Feel Pretty/Unpretty because it’s such an ingenious match-up, regardless of how great Chris and Darren sounded on BICO.

• Ali says:

eek, *mash-up

11. Paris says:

I have had it with people saying Loser Like Me is the anthem of the show. That song seriously sucked. The lyrics were terrible and the singing wasn’t all that great. I hate how glee is doing original songs, the only original song I liked was Get It Right. I voted for Don;t Stop Believing because it didn’t annoy me like Loser like Me. It is a great song and even when I look back at it I still enjoy it. This is what made me fall in love with Glee. The first choice was hard. I totally think Teenage Dream is overrated and will probably win the competition because of the darren criss lovers even though it shouldn’t. Forget you was ok so I voted for that.

• Amber says:

I agree, I really wish Glee wouldn’t do original songs. I really like seeing what they can do with covers and how they can make songs I’ve known my whole life sound so fresh and different.

• Julie says:

They have almost every episode to do covers…. Whats so wrong with a few original songs stuck in there for the people that like them? Turn it off when you don’t like the song.

• Amber says:

All right, fair enough. No reason to jump to attack. I don’t begrudge people the chance to hear songs they like. Just stating what I like to hear. You are right, they do covers more than anything else. Peace.

• F says:

I disagree with you on Loser Like Me, but I also seriously hope Teenage Dream doesn’t win the whole bracket. I think Darren Criss himself is fine but his vocals are overrated, but that Blaine is a very bland character and that the Warblers weer a useless entity that took up way more screentime than they deserved.

• Ali says:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Teenage Dream ends up going against DSB for a spot in the finals and then gets taken down, only because DSB is so special for us Glee fans. People think it’s a bunch of Darren fans voting Teenage Dream far, but the fact is, every venue went absolutely nuts on the tour for the Warblers (so much that Mark started joking that ND was opening for the Warblers) and this song. And uh, it’s not a vote for best character or best use of screentime, but best song. Teenage Dream was pure acapella, new and fresh and fun, I mean even Chris Colfer admitted to being obsessed with it and listened to it every day. It’s just a great song, not everyone lets their personal bias get in the way of their vote…like some people.

• F says:

I voted for Teenage Dream in this round because it is better than Forget You, but I fear that it will win the entire thing and I don’t think it deserves to.

12. Victoria E says:

REALLY?? You’re going to put “Don’t Stop Believin'” up against “Losr Like Me”??? It’s like freakin’ SOPHIES CHOICE!!

13. Amby says:

Teenage Dream. Darren Criss. Enough said.

14. Colleen says:

Teenage Dream = Darren Criss = SO EASY a choice. I really hope TD ends up against DSB in the end. Both are so obviously different from the originals, yet very good in their own right. I actually listen to these 2 Glee songs over the Journey and Katy Perry versions.

Plus, have you SEEN Darren’s acoustic version of Teenage Dream he did in London?! Holy Crap! He was CRYING!

15. Ma'at says:

About the only song from Glee I can’t stand … Teenage Dream

• Raquel C says:

Right? I just find it hard to really buy Darren and his boys singing about putting hands on them in their skin-tight jeans. That lyric is a little odd anyhow, but the Warblers bring it to whole new levels. Don’t get me wrong, the arrangement is cool. but they don’t connect to that song on any level. At least they cut out the first verse about being pretty without any makeup on.

16. Kaley says:

Objectively, “Don’t Stop Believin” (Pilot) isn’t as good as many of the others. Yes, it introduced us to New Directions and was our first look at what Glee could do to cover songs, but there are songs that are both sung and arranged better. If “Don’t Stop Believin” is going to win simply because it was the nostalgic first song, then this whole bracket thing is just a waste of time leading to an inevitable conclusion.

• Umm? says:

Then stop voting and sop commenting?

• Kaley says:

Umm.. then learn how to spell. I commented and voted to encourage others to vote objectively too and not just pick DSB because it was the first successful New Directions song. Grow up.

• Umm? says:

I love that spelling is the first thing people attack when they have nothing intelligent to add to the discourse. You’re not encouraging anyone to “vote objectively,” you’re just being a whingy twat. And p.s. if something is your opinion, like say the quality of a song that others could argue had merit beyond the nostalgia factor, then you’re not being objective by commenting on it, you’re being subjective. :)!!!!

17. Lily says:

I am just begging all the Gleeks out there to not have teenage dream win the whole thing. Because if it does win, it will just show that overrated wins everything. People obsess over Teenage Dream because it had an acapella group singing it in a lackluster season. Yes it is better than the original but it is not the BEST glee song. I feel like all the new gleeks who haven’t really watched season 1 will choose that song because of their love for darren criss.

• Victoria says:

I’ve watched Glee since the first season, and I still feel that Teenage Dream is one of the best songs the show has ever done. It is not “overrated.” It was a breath of fresh air for me, with new voices, and an *amazing* acapella arrangement. Aside from that, the scene itself is one of my favorite moments on the show so far. It was the first time in a long time that we’d seen Kurt (my favorite character since episode 1) smile. That alone made it a memorable scene.

I’d never heard of Darren before episode six of S2, so you can’t blame Teenage Dream’s popularity solely on “new gleeks” or Darren fangirls. I get offended when someone jumps to conclusions and assumes that everyone voting for a certain thing must be from a certain group of people or fandom. :P

• Ali says:

THANK YOU. God, a few people vote for Teenage Dream just because Darren Criss, and suddenly every. single. person. voting for it is only voting because they’re a Darren Criss fangirl? Okay, no, sit down. I’ve voted for Teenage Dream, and looking at the bracket, I’ve already pretty much decided to vote for I Feel Pretty/Unpretty over BICO. Because I’m not going by anything but song quality, as everyone should. And it’s my opinion that Teenage Dream is one of the best songs Glee has done. People who don’t respect that, or make big generalizations, are just so immature, I can’t.

• Lily says:

All I am saying is that Teenage Dream isn;t that great. I have heard plenty of acapella groups in my life and their covers are better than the Warblers. I also couldn’t appreciate Teenage Dream that much because it had some significant autotune. Also Teenage Dream doesn’t emotionally affect me. It’s nice and all but when I look back at Glee I won’t remember the Warbler’s performance but New Direction’s performance. The show is about NEW DIRECTIONS. SO i don’t understand people’s obsession with the Warbler/Blaine. To me they took too much screen time from the original cast of Glee.

18. Laugh says:

I still am surprised that they used Don’t Stop Believing at all since it was not that long after the big story of being used in the finale of The Sopranos. The Glee version will never be my choice over the Journey original. And I am one who prefer’s the Glee version of many songs over the originals. DSB just isn’t one of them. They filmed the moment on the show like it was such a big thing that happened, but it really was just 5 or 6 kids singing in red t-shirts. Loser Like Me is such a fun song and a great performance. I loved seeing Sue looking guilty when they sang about throwing dirt. :)

19. marie says:

Don’t stop believe because That’s the Glee song !
    Teenage dream because the warlbers and Darren are my rock stars, i love them a lot.

20. jay says:

So frustrating Dont stop and loser are both far far far better than the other two options.

21. Evan says:

Teenage Dream and Don’t Stop Believing should clearly be the final two in this contest. They’re the two best-selling songs and they made the two biggest waves culturally.

22. Jack S says:

Going for the two losing songs. Never got the fuss over DSB or TD, but LLM & FY are both fantastic.

23. Volcfom says:

“Don’t Stop Believing” is the reason I waited so long to start watching the show. I was so sick of hearing it in all the promos – it made me sick.

24. Tom says:

To be fair, at the end of the day, this is only a fun poll, not anything more serious. Just gonna put that out there.

As I said in Round 2, Teenage Dream was the obvious choice for me. And looking at what it could face in the next round, it’s a fair bet to say that it will win the “Curators Choice” section. But to be fair, it deserves to.

• Maria says:

Awful lot of work for a “fun” poll. And since YOU say that “Teenage Dream” deserves to win Curator’s Choice, it MUST be the best one… I’m dripping with sarcasm here, if you hadn’t noticed.

25. Birdie says:

I voted for “Teenage Dream” because to me, Gwyneth will always be the most overrated thing on the show. She’s not a professionally trained singer, but when Glee has her on the show they give her about ten solos in an episode. Then when they have guest stars with actual musical talent (Kristen Chenoweth and Jonathan Groff) they just give them one duet.

• Gleekster says:

But you could also say that about Darren. He had a lot of solos which were unnecessary. The only solo I liked from him was Teenage Dream. His solos/Warblers took away screen time from the original cast of New Directions. So Darren is the most overrated thing on the show.