Fall TV: Meet Your New CSI Boss, Ted Danson!

Multiple Emmy and Golden Globe winner Ted Danson is on the case, as the new supervisor on CSI.

Fall 2011 TV Grid: Where Did Your Favorite Shows Land?

Danson, who in addition to a pair of Cheers Emmy wins more recently netted a trio of nods for his work as Damages‘ Arthur Frobisher, will join the CBS crime drama for its 12th season, playing a new Vegas grave shift supervisor who used to head the crime lab in Portland. He comes to the team as they are still grappling with the professional and personal fallout from last season’s take-down of serial killer Nate Haskell.

Danson’s character will fill the void left by the departure of Laurence Fishburne, who as Ray Langston worked alongside the CSIs for two-and-a-half seasons, following the exit of original cast member William Petersen.

“From the moment we all started talking about the role, it was clear [Ted] couldn’t be more perfect,” says CSI executive producer Don McGill. “Intelligence, wit, warmth, depth of character and emotion, he brings it all. And now he’ll have to bring latex gloves, too.”

Danson will remain a series regular on the HBO series Bored to Death, which was renewed for a third season and traditionally premieres during the month of September.

Fall TV: CBS Sets Premiere Dates, Including NCIS, HIMYM and An Extra-Big Bang

CSI launches its new season on Sept. 21, in a new time slot — Wednesdays at 10/9c.

1. James Firkins says:

Okay, this will make me want to watch this every Thursday night.

2. tj says:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but this makes me want to watch!

• Alicia says:

Took the words out of my mouth. Haven’t watched since William PeterSEN (looking at you, Mitovich) left, but this will lure me back.
      It’d be kinda cool if his character is “Frobisher”-esque except, you know, not evil.

3. Gwen says:

This actually could be very interesting!

4. ashley says:

This show gets more pathetic and downright laughable every single day. Cancel this show already!

• Agreed says:

Yes! Cancel a show because Ashley dislikes it.

• Actually says:

They should cancel it because of these crap cast decisions and the ratings blow, so clearly ashley isn’t the ONLY one that dislikes it. Nearly half of the audience has left, I’d say that’s a great reason to cancel it.

• Dax says:

Even with half the audience gone it still gets way better ratings than most other shows on TV. I’m sure CBS is still very happy with it as well as all the many, many people who still watch.

• Dave says:

how do the ratings blow? CSI consistently beat Grey’s Anatomy this past season … should that tripe be cancelled, too? (actually the answer to that one is yes!)

• Lu says:

That’s a little harsh. I think season 11 was better than season 10, the only bad thing is that they focused too much on Ray with the Haskell case and they never addressed the Sqweegel plot again. But other than that, it was great and the ratings proved it.

• Sharp says:

yes, please address the Sqweegel plot! He was so fascinatingly creepy.

• The ratings proved... says:

The opposite, and that you’re an idiot. The ratings went down to 12 million viewers, that’s pathetic. Anyone that thinks that last season’s dreck was good has zero taste.

• Jeff says:

Down to 12 million viewers. You do realize that most of the shows on TV right now would KILL to get that number of viewers. Good ratings don’t always equal good quality, I know, but trying to insult a show by saying it only has 12 million is kind of stupid.

5. mes says:

I think Nick should have been lead and supervisor
    Yes he has stuff in his closet from what happened in L.A. and previous but Catherine has done worse
    Hopefully history won’t repeat itself and they make the same mistakes like they did with Fish

• Lu says:

Definitely. I believe Nick should’ve been promoted.
      It’d be good to watch Ted Danson. Right now it’s hard for me to believe that he will do drama since I have his vivid image of him in Cheers doing comedy.
      But, as good CSI fans, let’s not judge before watching. Let him prove what he can do.

• Men in Society says:

WRONG! Nick should never have been promoted over Catherine. Catherine was a Level 3 longer, she was a supervisor before, and just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be the lead. You “men” have to grow up and learn that women are smarter than men, quicker thinking, and they should be given just as much credit as their male counterparts. Here’s a newsflash for ya: Catherine was never even given the chance to be the supervisor this time around, she was hardly ever around, so how could she do worse than someone they were forcing into a leadership role even though he was only a CSI 2? As a REAL CSI fan, I know better than to believe the same BS that they said about Fishburne with yet another MALE. People can judge based off of whatever they want and they will.

• mes says:

Okay first off I am a girl, and I would have loved to have seen more of Catherine in the supervisor/lead role, but this past season Marg (Catherine) cut her screentime, was only in 19 episodes, and IS PLANNING ON LEAVING!! DUH!

6. AlisonC says:

After seeing him in Damages I think this could be really good.

I wonder if they will mention Wendy as he would have been her supervisor in Portland?

7. CJ says:

Never really cared for Danson. I may give it a shot, because I still like the concept, but this may be the nail in the coffin for me as far as CSI goes.

• christopher oddy says:

I’ve been hooked on all C.S.|I.esposoides, but you got to be joking… Ted danson a washed up has been is know running c.s.i. las vegas into to the ground, the he dresses, the way he looks, and the main thing he not even remotley looks anything but a c.s.i. supervisiour at all.Who ever cast him should be removed from his or his position now!

He makes the precious c.s.i.las vegas show now into to a joke1 you all should be ashmend of your selves, hireing this looser. I will never watch this las vegas show again along with my other c.s.i. friends again. and I will soon will be telling everyone else to boy cot the show completly.

I have an idea? why don’t you get the president of Iran to be the next night time supervisior for c.s.i. las vegas I guarentee you will get a better television rating.

I will never watch this program again as long Looser Ted Danson is on this show ever.

Signed

pissed off

8. Amanda says:

I am good with Ted Danson becoming part of CSI cast but there is a part of me that wishes they would focus more on the characters they already have without trying to bring in new ones.

• Ken says:

Yeah, Ted is a great addition to the csi team. That oddy guy above will never know how the show will rise up again because he was not watching CSI:LV due to his misjudgement of Ted. If only he knew that Ted’s character truly added great color to the show. And calling him “washed up” is totally wrong. Other people can just be bitter.

9. Joe says:

im fine with this as long as he still has time to guest on Curb every now and again

10. steve says:

I think it’s an inspired bit of casting. He has been great in BTD and was great on Damages. Welcome aboard Ted.

11. Suzanne says:

Love this. Love Ted Danson. Can’t wait!

12. Teri says:

I can’t stand him. I was down to watching this show whenever I could find nothing else. Now I will not watch at all. Thanks alot!

13. Chase says:

I love Danson, but this news bums me out. He’s better than this show.

14. Graciela says:

Carol Mendelsohn thinks that way to attrack viewers to CSI? I am very dissapointed in this election. I hope that Billy Petersen make any appearance in the series. Will be the only chapter that I will see.

15. Stefany says:

I remember him fondly from Cheers, but had a hard time separating him from Sam Malone. After watching Ted Danson on Damages… I would give him a chance in just about anything! He was fantastic in the role of Frobisher. I would imagine this role will fall somewhere between the two aforementioned – so, amazingly, after cutting off CSI after Grissom’s exit, I’M IN!

16. jenna says:

I’m looking forward to this. He’s a great actor with good range, both comedy and drama. Hopefully, he will inject some life back into the show after the debacle that was Langston.
    Welcome to the graveshift, Mr. Danson!

Any word on the other returning characters? I hope they all sign up!

17. Tracy says:

It seems like a choice out of left field, but it’s definitely got me interested in watching to see what the character is like and how he does.

18. Kevin says:

His performance on DAMAGES was awesome but I don’t think Dr. Becker aka the grumpy and arrogant ddoctor isn’t fit for the role. Guess I’ll give up watching this for the rest of the year and the next if renewed for Season 13. Hoping SVU beats CSI on Wednesdays at 10 p.m. come September 21st.

• Matthew says:

This may be an interesting piece of casting. This could very well be the last year of CSI so it shakes things up a bit. What will be more interesting is to see where Ted’s character comes on the chain. Does Conrad remove Catherines Lead role pushing Nick back into one of the team (and no longer assistant)? Sometimes I felt last season that Ray was in charge of Nick when they were sharing scenes.

As for SVU beating CSI. No Meloni. Case Closed.

• Amy says:

You don’t *think* he is a fit but you don’t know for sure. They are called ‘actors’ for a reason. He will be playing a new character not Sam Malone or Dr. Becker. Why don’t you give him a chance before you automatically pass judgment without even seeing his new character.

19. E. says:

Fine with this as long as it has no impact on my beloved Bored to Death! (Danson is epic on that show.)

20. Lorie says:

Several times last season, I almost gave up on CSI. I’m now interested once again.

21. Lynne says:

Ted Danson joins the Corpses, Bodies and Stiffs network? Well good for him. He was amazing as Frobisher on ‘Damages’ and I’m sure his charisma will shine on this show also.

22. Allie says:

No one has addressed what I thought was the obvious – CATHERINE was the boss of the team last season. Is she getting demoted, and Ted Danson is the boss now? Laurence Fishburne was NEVER the “CSI boss”. Or is Danson stepping in for Ecklie? I’m really confused.

• K says:

I believe Marg Helgenberger asked for shorter hours this season, so her character will probably be transferred (or something) to explain her lack of air time. Hence, the need for another “supervisor”.

• Derrick says:

Actually I thought I read she was coming back but “just for a few episodes”, so it would make sense that they are looking to find a new supervisor.

23. K says:

Does anyone remember the breakout role that made Danson a star? The tap-dancing lawyer in the movie Body Heat? He was great in that role. I didn’t see Damages but can totally see him as a CSI supervisor. I’ll watch. I didn’t care for the whole Ray/Nate story line last season.

24. susela says:

This is great news! I stopped watching during the Fishburne years, but now I’m curious to see what Danson does. I’ll definitely tune in for this.

25. Deena says:

I haven’t watched since Bill left but I will give Ted a chance. if he doesn’t knock me off my feet in the first episode I’m done with CSI for good. It was my all time fave show but Ray just wasn’t what the team needed!

26. kirads09 says:

Seriously? – of all the actors they could have chosen. I am a long time fan of CSI but this will kill it for me.

Even though I have enjoyed all three series, I think the entire CSI franchise has gone on way past being anything entertaining or useful. Time to pull the plug before they degrade further.

27. Alex says:

Still is the best of the 3 CSI’s, by far.
    I can’t stand the other 2, so artificial! For me, Miami is the worst, all those artificial colors… and faces!
    The characters in Las Vegas seems more natural, even the labs looks more real.
    I’ll keep watching.

28. Frimi says:

What?! A new supervisor? I really think Nick should be the new supervisor now that Catherine is leaving.
    They should give more credit to the firs cast of CSI… or what is left.

29. Bob says:

I’ll give the show another try based on this casting.

30. boyd crowder says:

Becker!!!!!!

31. Mayra says:

Niiiice! Never liked Ray + I’m currently watching Damages and Ted’s really good!

32. mike says:

great move! i think he will add new life to the show. i saw his other shows at online tv tvhod.com and Ted is a really great actor and i cannot wait to see him act. more reason why i should watch CSI.

33. pr1nc3$$ says:

Great Comments:Ashley,Actually,CJ,Teri,Graciela,Tracy,Kevin,Kirads09,and Frimi I highly agree with all of you. Lawrence Fishburne is a very talented actor but his talent was not utilized on this show.His character was broken with a lot of hidden secrets and abuse in his past which made him incapable of doing his job efficiently and made his character seem dumb and useless. Why couldn’t he have been normal for instance, A professor whose always had a passion for forensics.I’m not trying to play the race card but look like all the Afro Americans on this show have seriosly problems. Gary Dourdan had a gambling problem. Carol what’s up with that? Why couldn’t Langston have been a supervisor of Los Angeles CSI unit or New Orleans CSI or even Portland. Come on people this is the 21st century let’s stop this already!

34. Might be this blog’s best piece of writing I have ever seen!

35. Might be this blogs best article on the web..