TNT's First Dallas Promo: Feudin' Cousins! Nasty J.R.! Lithe Jordana Brewster!

The more things change, the more things stay the same. Namely, J.R. Ewing still thinks his brother Bobby is an idealistic fool.

That, and more, is revealed during TNT’s first look teaser for its new Dallas series, which broke during Monday night’s season premieres of The Closer and Rizzoli & Isles.

Once again, as a “scorecard” to keep tabs on the new faces as they flit across your screen:

In addition to returning original series stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray — reprising their roles of J.R., Bobby and Sue Ellen, respectively — TNT’s Dallas features Jesse Metcalfe (Desperate Housewives) as Bobby and Pam’s son Christopher, Josh Henderson (Desperate Housewives) as J.R.’s son John Ross, and Jordana Brewster (Fast & Furious) as Elena Ramos, a ranch cook’s daughter who will be caught in a triangle with the aforementioned lads.

Julie Gonzalo (Veronica Mars) plays Christopher’s fiancée, Rebecca, while Brenda Strong (Desperate Housewives) is Bobby Ewing’s new wife, Ann.

And yes, the classic theme music is back. Which is kinda cool.

The new Dallas premieres in the summer… of 2012. Tell us what you think!

1. Mooshki says:

Jesse Metcalfe should’ve been shuffled off to reality show purgatory a long time ago. Jordana Brewster deserves way better.

2. George says:

The Nostalgia in this trailer had me laughin out loud and not in a good way. TNT has bigger problem righ now. There lineup currently does not back up brand statement “We know Drama”. With the exception of great shows Southland, The Closer, and men of certain age. The Dallas Reboot does look like it going to add to that.

3. Kevin says:

It happens to everyone, but you’ve used the word ‘respectively’ incorrect above. “In addition to returning original series stars Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray — reprising their roles of Bobby, Sue Ellen and J.R. Ewing, respectively.” That would mean that Patrick Duffy is playing the role of Sue Ellen, and that Linda Gray is playing J.R. Ewing.

• Brent says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one to notice that.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thanks for the catch. I am actually one of the world’s foremost experts on using the word “respectively,” but what happened here is I copied that sentence fragment from a previous story, but then shuttled Hagman’s name to the lead-off spot, forgetting (being 11:30pm and all) to relocate “J.R.” :)

4. Sami says:

Not interested, sorry TNT.

5. XK says:

Looked terrible.

The only actors with any presence were all of the actors from the original Dallas, and I did not even like the original show.

The ‘next generation’ actors are laughably bad.

• Darcy says:

Melrose ’09 anyone?

This looks like an arguably as bad follow up to a classic primetime soap. What’s next, Knot’s Landing?

• Jason S. says:

THe difference though would be that the original Dallas was a great show and the original Melrose Place was an awful show

6. tvfan48 says:

Very much looking forward to this show! Thanks for posting this clip – love the production values and the snippets have me intrigued – will definitely be tuning in next summer.

7. Michael Sacal says:

Looks cool.

8. Shy says:

Looks like Melrose sequel. How could they cast Jesse Metcalf? I can’t take him seriously. They make same mistake as Melrose 2.0 did. They hired bunch of untalatned and uniteresting new young actors and add some 2-3 members of original cast. Instead they should have hired 5-6 original cast and make it all about them and then add some 2-3 new young faces. I never liked original Dallas. So I will not watch new one.

• Sean says:

You spell like you’re four years old. How would you remember the original?

• TIRED OF ALL THE GRAMMAR POLICE ON THIS BLOG says:

This is blog about entertainment NOT a Grammar class.
        People come here to read about shows and comment on them.
        WE DON’T NEED THE GRAMMAR POLICE

• Shy says:

That’s because I’m not from English speaking country you smarty. Do you know that not everything revolves around USA? And that there are millions of people from another countries like Brazil, Argentina, Russia, Sweden, France, Serbia and so on that have Internet and watch american TV shows every day too? An they come to these sites and make comments. They don’t speak English in their every day life so of course there can be bad grammar. I would like you to come to mexican site and try to comment in spanish. I would like to see your grammar :)

• anon says:

Except that they didn’t just pull brand new characters out of their asses like MP did, they chose to show the next generation, a generation that was already a huge part of the original and its reunion movies. Sure, there are different people playing Christopher and John Ross (weht Omri Katz?)and I agree that JM’s a wet blanket of an actor but I have zero issue with the premise. The younger Ewings were always destined to follow in the footsteps of the old. It just makes sense. I suspect that they’ll have additional guest appearances by other “Dallas” alums if the show takes off, but as it stands right now they got the three that were necessary for this show to have any shot at all.

9. Anthony S says:

I am very much looking forward to this! I was a big fan of the original. Making acting judgements from a 1 minute clip is unfair. And writer Cynthia Cidre is very talented so I am confident the drama will be up to snuff.

10. Lisa says:

It looks good to me !
    I’m looking forward to Dallas coming back to TNT.

11. JohnDoe says:

I wasn’t interested in this show the first time it was on television.

12. Doug-H says:

It’s great to see Dallas in HD!!! The theme song even sounded better… Isn’t it funny that in those days of Dallas that Friday night TV was the place to be???? People had to stay home to watch because nobody had VCR’s back then and certainly not DVR’s or online viewing that allowed time shifting… If you missed an episode because you had to go to a Friday Night HS football game, you were out of luck… Dallas kept their ratings up until the dream season… That also coincided when people started getting VCR’s which allowed recording which made the need to stay home less important..

Being on TNT in the summer tells me they’ll be only 13-15 episodes which doesn’t allow for much…

13. Dave says:

I watched every episode over the course of 13 seasons and I’m thrilled the show is back. Hopefully it scores with audiences. One advantage it has over other reboots is returning members of the original cast.

14. Michael Sacal says:

To all the naysayers, You think Metcalfe is bad? Consider the alternative to a Dallas revival, like Jennifer Lopez as Sue Ellen (Sue Ellen from the block, most likely) and John Travolta as JR.

Dallas dodged a bullet there…

15. Kitty5125 says:

LOVE IT!!! Cannot wait!

16. Josh says:

Not sure why people who didn’t watch the show the first time even clicked on the link to this story to begin with. This looks amazing. “Dallas” has done what so many other revived television shows couldn’t, and that’s get it right. No reboot/remake/recasting, just an outright continuation that’s faithful to the original. The best show in television history is back!!!!

• anon says:

Right? I love people who open with “I didn’t like it and won’t watch!” going on to complain about the trailer.

17. xavior says:

I like how people that have no interrest in certain shows or in this case, didn’t like the first series and obviously won’t be watching this one, feel the need to say so. I mean if it’s not your thing, move on. It’s not like you don’t know what it might be about. It’s not like they are going to recreate it into a sit-com or have the Ewing family invest in space exploration or maybe have talking chipmunks that they have to have battles of wits with. sigh… The first series was always a fun, gilty pleasure and it’ll be cool to see if they can recapture that while telling a story involving modern issues in the oil industry. It’s not like that doesn’t play a part in all our lives.

18. vera says:

I see a bunch of DH alums.

19. The WB Frog says:

Looks like they have recaptured the spirit of the original show (sans the last 3 or 4 seasons of the original show). Looking forward to it.

20. billk says:

No Victoria Principal? They should start out with her going to bed and then the whole series can be a dream.

• Bob Genghis Khan says:

Not sure her face can move from all the plastic surgery she’s had over the years :O

Why do they do it to themselves? Linda Gray on the other hand, no plastic surgery and aging gracefully…as we saw on the trailer.

21. Trista says:

Can’t wait!!!!

22. Jason S says:

Wait a second isn’t Metcalfe even going to attempt a southern accent? Why would they hire someone who can’t speak with a southern accent?

23. Avery says:

Does anyone know why they are not deputing until summer 2012? Why not debut in the winter or Spring? To me, it just seems like an unneccesarily long time to wait for a show.

24. shortcake_______- says:

Really looking forward to this. Fond memories of my parents letting me stay up to watch the original. My only disappointment is Jesse Metcalfe as Christopher.

25. wayne dungey says:

I can;t wait to see my new Dallas, It been longf time to wait to come this summer 2012