Ratings: Was Torchwood's Return Miraculous?

Starz’ much-hyped premiere of Torchwood: Miracle Day got off to a decent start on Friday, drawing 819K viewers at 10 pm. With the 11 pm replay factored in, the debut drew a total of 1.51 million viewers.

Those numbers are on par with the network’s April launch of the now-canceled Camelot, but below the 1.1 million (and 1.9 cume) that tuned in for the premiere of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena last January.

Did you watch? Thoughts? Was it more or less engrossing than Captain Jack’s last adventure involving those possessed kids?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Ratings

1. Ceri says:

I enjoyed the episode and will definately keep watching. Whether this series reaches the hights of the magnificently dark “Children of Earth” remains to be seen, but one lives in hope.

I seem to be in the minority here who thinks that the killing off of main characters (including Ianto, who I liked very much) was a brave and justified move. If only to make the viewers feel the real threat of the situations the team faces and make them realise that absolutely no one is safe.
    I’m glad to say that we’ve seen the end of the quirky silliness of seasons 1-2, whilst it had its charms, I much prefer the darker direction Torchwood has taken since, and long may it continue.

2. MJ says:

Loved it ! Unfortunately I do not have Starz so will not be able to see most of the eps. But I did see the premier and it was great.

3. Gina says:

In a word.. Disappointing. Good Luck to John and Eve on their NEXT projects.. this one is a stinker! I’ll pass.

4. shaunmc says:

Folks who bitch and bemoan Torchwood for not having Ianto, Owen, Toshiko or heck even Martha Jones or Micky (who were meant to join up) can really just sit back and chillax.

1) Torchwood was always a Captain Jack vehicle.

2) You don’t last long in Torchwood, ask any of the team from Season One starting with Suzy (oh wait, they’re ALL dead)

3) When 24 killed off any of the following:
    Nina Meyers, President Palmer, Tony Almeida (retconned), Michelle Dessler, Teri Bauer, Renee Walker, Bill Buchanan, Wayne Palmer, Ryan Chappelle, Curtis Manning, Larry Moss or George Mason

Did you or the shippers stop watching? Course not, its about the story – not just the people involved. In that respect Jack Harkness is science fictions very own Jack Bauer – the man who can’t die (or can he)?

• Jay Beu says:

If I hear from reliable sources at the end of teh series that Gwen has reached her expiration date, then I’ll beleive that. But sorry, Torchwood was set up for Gwen since RTD’s Excalibur was turned down. Barrowman was the one that drew the fans because of his popularity. Now, he’s just as likely to be offed so Gwen can become the main lead. Either that or he’s just her sidekick. Which is one thing I can’t stand. I watched for JOHN, not Eve. Jack NOT Gwen. I can handle Rhys but seriously, can’t they just get rid of that self-centered cheat?

5. Jackie says:

If it hadn’t bored me, I wouldn’t have picked up the laundry. Besides, I multitask everytime I watch TV, so get over it. There’s only 24 hours in MY day so I do as much at a time as I can.

Funny how you all think that just because YOU liked it EVERYONE’S gotta be all “YES YES YES!” about it. Sorry (not really) but it doesn’t work that way. Gwen has always bored me, Rhys is ok, the baby was cute (most are) and I found Rex, Esther and Danes lackluster. If you don’t agree, that’s fine… for YOU. This show is not the first show that I gave up less than half way through the first episode. I am an avid Trekker and tried to watched Enterprise. I lasted maybe 15 minutes. There are loads of other shows that haven’t caught my interest in that amount of time either. MD is not the first and will not be the last. But if my attention wanders THAT much THAT soon, no thanks.

6. Jackie says:

So one can not be a fan of the show Torchwood without knowing every single thing about John Barrowman? Sorry, I’m a fan of THE SHOW not the ACTOR.

I started watching Torchwood because a friend told me James Marsters was in it. I had to wait 13 episodes for him. HE, NOT NOT NOT Barrowman, was what drew me in. And I only got him for 2 full episodes and a tiny cameo in another. Oh, and I got into Doctor Who late, saw series 2 as I watched Torchwood so no, didn’t know Jack on DW but frankly, I liked him BETTER as a guest star.

7. Jay Beu says:

*raises his beer* RIP Torchwood.

8. (The other) Jackie says:

I hope you enjoy it, even if I don’t! (Jackie’s have to at least show support for each other, right? lol)

9. Vanessa says:

Let’s see….. the words and phrases that sum it up for me… “all gloss, no substance”, boring, Disappointing.. yes, with a Capital D.

Good-bye and RIP Torchwood.. we hardly knew you.

10. Dora says:

I wish I could watch Torchwood and contribute to it’s ratings but sadly I don’t have the Starz channel and for whatever reason it’s not being shown on Netflix like the other shows. Had to catch it on the Starz website. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled!!!

11. Simon Anthony says:

It has just aired in the UK. I had seen it online (thanks whoever posted it). Do you lot know there are three radio plays – with Ianto – available for download ? OK the US will have to be clever to get them as the BBC has restricted access.
    I mention the three new radio shows because they have much more actual plot in them. The Starz effort is all bangs and crashes, with comedy death scenes ( that are not funny but must have cost a lot ). The basic idea is good, but the concept of ‘extraditing Torchwood’ is less believable than universal defiance of death.
    The show will fail in this series unless it gets two episodes a week – at least. CoE made for an utterly unforgettable week. It will be a miracle if this season ends up as anything better than the sad but lovable US Dr Who episode Mr McGann outing.
    It must be remembered RTD knows his stuff. If he can show his hand in this, it will be good. But, he is not infallible.
    I wish the season luck – currently it needs it.

12. Ozpom says:

What a way to end interest in an excellent program, move it from Wales to the US. Don’t we have enough US based entertainment already ??
    I for one have lost interest in the latest offering of this once terrific series. No Wales – no viewing.

13. Ella says:

I have to say that eventhough CoE was amazing I like it a lot better when there is a a new story line each episodes. I watched season 4 last night in the uk an I don’t think it’s the same now that is it is in the US eventhough I love Mekhi Phifer; sorry Russel T Davis but I think you have let yourself down.

14. Cloey says:

I’ve been watching Torchwood since it came out. I discovered it quite by accident. I’ve felt a kinship with its characters, which is what makes a show a success. I’ve been waiting 2 years for Torchwood’s return and I’m quite erked it’s on a pay channel. That aside, I think the concept of the new Torchwood is a good one, and so far I’m very much enjoying. I’m a true fan, and I’m very pleased.