Ratings: Was Torchwood's Return Miraculous?

Starz’ much-hyped premiere of Torchwood: Miracle Day got off to a decent start on Friday, drawing 819K viewers at 10 pm. With the 11 pm replay factored in, the debut drew a total of 1.51 million viewers.

Those numbers are on par with the network’s April launch of the now-canceled Camelot, but below the 1.1 million (and 1.9 cume) that tuned in for the premiere of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena last January.

Did you watch? Thoughts? Was it more or less engrossing than Captain Jack’s last adventure involving those possessed kids?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Ratings

1. Sonia says:

No Ianto + No Tosh + No Owen = No Torchwood.

• Harry says:

Sonia is clearly an idiot. Nobody listen to Sonia.

• Flor says:

Harry is not the Boy Who Lived. Nobody listen to Harry.

• Tarc says:

Actually, Sonia is representative a huge number of ex-Torchwood fans.

• Suzie says:

only in their dreams, Tarc

• Tarc says:

Yeah, that’s why RTD is having public snitfits. And, not to mention, why the numbers blow. *shrugs* Feel free in your delusion. Camelot got canned with these numbers.

• Ryan says:

@Tarc,

It seem Camelot may have been cancelled more for the fact one of the leads may have been offered another pilot and Starz had not locked in it’s cast for multiple years. According to something I read earlier, Camelot’s ratings when it debuted where some of the highest ratings for Starz ever. Keep in mind this is a premium channel, so the numbers will never be House big.

Also of note, Torchwood has always been willing to kill characters, which sort of keeps one guessing. Jack and Gwen are the biggest reasons I tune in and this one is off to an intriguing start….IMO

• KayLynn says:

I think people like Sonia were a consideration in the BBC not renewing Torchwood on their own. They teamed with a US company to get a wider audience, knowing that a large chunk of their UK audience may not return.

• Sonia says:

Thank you, Harry. Have a nice day :-)

• jessica says:

can’t see the need to be rude

• sadtroll says:

It’s not a need, like air. More of a craving. Like coffee ice-cream.

Mmmmmm…have a nice day jessica :-)

• Sam says:

She really isn’t an idiot. I mean I’m not that extreme, I’m still going to watch season four, but things have not been as good, or felt as right, since we lost those three characters. Especially the second two, for me.

• guenna says:

people who won’t watch a show just because their favorite character was written off or killed are flat-out stupid. It’s shippers like you who make television suck so often for the rest of us.

• michelle says:

whats with all the name calling, can no one have their own opinion anymore…

• RS says:

What’s stupid about that? Characters tend to be a pretty big part of why I tune into a show, and Torchwood has written out multiple favorites at this point.

• Jackie says:

Especially as not everyone likes the characters left from previous series. I could have gone my whole life with either Jack or Gwen, thanks.

• maggie says:

@Jackie,
            Jack IS Torchwood. If you don’t like Jack then you’ve never been a Torchwood fan.

• Jackie says:

@maggie… your POV NOT everyone’s. Jack was just one of the characters and he was there to flatter Gwen. I am a TORCHWOOD fan NOT a Jack fan. he can turn mortal and grow old for all I care. MY POV. Just as important as YOURS.

• Michael says:

Get over yourself.

• Martina says:

Michael don’t you even have your own opinion, only repeating what is said a thousand times before?
            And Yes I agree with Sonja.
            No Ianto + No Tosh + No Owen + No Cardiff + No Rift + OOC Captain Jack = No Torchwood

• maggie says:

@Martina,
            Half of the 1st episode was set in Cardiff (outside the hub at the site of the rift) and other parts of Wales. There actually wasn’t that much Captain Jack in the episode (but he did go by the name Owen Harper in the ep).

• Tarc says:

I’d say it’s poor writers like RTD that can’t seem to manage plot development without killing someone, and can’t write a single plotline without giant, gaping logic holes, is the problem. The added homophobic tinge didn’t help, or the clumsy, excessive audience manipulation. CoE destroyed Torchwood for a lot of people.

• amyv says:

yeah 6 million per episode of Children of Earth was killing the series. And 90% of the reviews have loved the writing and the acting.

judging by your comments you’re just trying to troll Torchwood down. And it isn’t going to happen.

• Tarc says:

Fine job at inventing numbers. And even if true, mean nothing. The last two hours of CoE were total manipulative claptrap – and so badly written it makes my head ache. Torchwood lost a lot of fans with the last seven episodes. And I’m saying this, and I even watched the first episode of Miracle Day.

• Clem says:

Sure, RTD is homophobic. He didn’t create Queer as folk, either.

• Rose says:

RTD homophobic? ROTFLOL

RTD, is a gay man who created and wrote “Queer As Folk” (UK original) and gave the world a bi-sexual action hero (Captain Jack). He gave us the tragic love of Jack and Ianto, and didn’t make it a “special episode” type of gay storyline that you get in a lot of shows. They were a couple in love, just like any other couple.

“Torchwood” has always been a show that doesn’t shy away from tragedy and pain. Jack is immortal and will outlive everyone he loves.

• Tam says:

Tarc, 6 million on average was the BBC figures for Children of Earth. That is an established fact.

Sorry it doesn’t fit into your little worldview there. I love these arguments where people scream about gaping plot holes and characters being killed. Ah, yes, the standard RTD is homophobic. Heard these arguments so many times before by the same people. It’s a broken record at this point.

• Jackie says:

So where’s the proof that all who watched CoE LOVED it? Just because they watched doesn’t mean that. Has anyone gone door to door and asked for the viewers’ opinion? Doubtful.

• @jackie says:

i don’t see why you would continue to watch something you didn’t like…

• Michael says:

And yet it wasn’t until season three, when two of those characters were already gone, that Torchwood actually became a show with a consistent level of genuine quality.

• Simon Jester says:

^ Truth.

• sadtroll says:

^ Lies.

Wow, that was easy!

• Jenni says:

Agreed! The first season was a mess. Second season stabilized the shows quality.

I find it hilarious that people get so upset about characters leaving the show. Torchwood is a spinoff of Dr. Who, which has always had a rotating cast of characters including lead actors.

Torchwood is the Captain Jack and Gwen show. The other teammates aren’t permanent. Even Gwen isn’t permanent.

As for the ratings, people quickly forget that Starz is not as entrenched as Showtime or HBO or a commercial station like BBC America. The number viewers will be less. Those ratings are a success for Starz.

Final ratings required for the series success will be based on the British audience ratings since the BBC is co-funding the show.

• maggie says:

Starz also repeats episodes a number of times, and they have an On Demand channel too. So there are plenty of ways and times for people to watch Torchwood on Starz.

• Brooke says:

Agreed, completely.

And I even liked seasons 1 and 2…season 3 was just off the charts good.

• Tracy says:

I feel the same way, Sonia. I don’t want to watch “The Jack and Gwen Show.”

• Nathan Wall says:

I agree with this equation.

Also, why couldn’t they kill Gwen?

• Thomas says:

You can’t kill off Gwen. She is the human core of the show. The person which average people can relate. I have watched Torchwood since it first aired. I loved Tosh and Owen and Ianto just as much as anyone, but their deaths made for excellent storytelling. The episode where Tosh and Owen die, professing their love for one another is still probably one of televisions most moving scenes in history. Mr. Russell T. Davies has a plan, and a story, AND if we all could quit bitching about how we’re not going to watch it because this character or that character got killed off and now you’re all cranky and pouty, then you might just enjoy a great story which will get you inerested in new characters that you will fall in love with (that RTD can kill off later and piss you again) and know their stories.

• Jay Beu says:

Human core??? To SOME people, like some viewers and RTD maybe but to many she wasn’t. I loathed her from the start and will always do so. Her “I’m right, you’re wrong, do it MY way, none of you are human enough” attitude is a big turnoff. I feel sorry for Rhys. He probably knows what a (bad word or 3) his wife is but feels trapped because of the kid.

Human core my (bad word).

• sadtroll says:

I think you’re describing your own neuroses, not the Gwen on the show. But that’s totally okay you not like “Gwen”. Go right ahead. Some people do, some people don’t.

• Jay Beu says:

Nope sorry I just think that characters who are so flawed but act like they’re perfect and “so human” are stupid. If I want a Mary Sue, I’ll read fan fiction, thank you.

Oh, and I watched TW for Jack not the “human core”. Besides, they (RTD, The Powers that Be) keep telling us that Gwen was the “heart and soul, blah blah” but they never really showed it.

• Tarc says:

Actually, they” never kill off Gwen because she’s RTD’s Mary Sue.

• Ellie says:

Shouldn’t Ianto have been RTD’s Gary Stu so he could have put himself into that relationship with Jack?

• Jackie says:

Saw the first 10 minutes online (and not through Starz) and frankly, it was boring! Even though I didn’t like CoE at least the first few minutes on Day 1 had me biting my nails (figuratively). MD… I spent that 10 minutes alternating between folding laundry and playing with the cat. So no. Didn’t like it. I didn’t bother watching the other clips. If a show doesn’t catch my interest in the first 5 minutes, I generally turn it off.

• S says:

i’ve rarely seen an episode of any show that gripped me in the first 10 minutes. At least get halfway through the episode before you make judgement!

• @Jackie says:

Maybe if you had actually focused on the show, and not spent time “folding laundry and playing with the cat,” you might have liked Torchwood: Miracle Day.

• mars says:

Agreed. I’m currently rewatching Series 2 on blu-ray. The original 5 will always be Torchwood for me. I’m watching Miracle Day with apprehension. Let’s see how the numbers are in the UK where the first episode is airing… about… right now…

• Jim says:

No Tosh=no Torchwood. I can even live without jack but gwen, gwens husband and Tosh made the whole show for me

2. Geff says:

I’m so happy to hear the ratings did good, It’s good to have Torchwood back on TV again. After the events of the 456, I was going crazy. Hopefully somethings from it will be cleared up.

3. Tania says:

So you’re saying that Torchwood is on its way to cancellation?

• lilly says:

This doesn’t include repeat showings or on demand viewings. It’s a preliminary number only. This show matched the highest ratings that they had for a premier which was Camelot. It was also a lot cheaper to make than Camelot as well.

I loved seeing Gwen and Rhys again and for the person who didn’t wait past 10 minutes, you really don’t have much of an attention span, do you?

4. mgb says:

I thought it was excellent, so these numbers are a bit disappointing. I hope it picks up steam as the season progresses.

5. Lin says:

It was a great start. I missed Captain Jack.

6. Pat75 says:

They should bring back Ianto if they want to improve ratings…

• Sonia says:

EXACTLY.

• Simon Jester says:

Jesus, ‘shippers, let it go. (o_O)

• Sonia says:

Shant -_-

• Simon Jester is a Fool says:

Shippers have nothing to do with the fact that RTD is an acronym for retard and he killed Ianto mainly for shock value and MAKE it the Jack and Gwen show for Jack and Gwen shippers. Sonia, Pat75 you have my full support.

• Simon Jester says:

Maybe, but at least I know what an acronym is, you dimwit.

• eliott256 says:

The fact that Gwen was and is happily paired up with Reese pokes all kinds of hole in that theory really

• Kelly says:

Right up til you read the Starz press release about Gwen being Jack’s one twu wuv, anyhow.

• Tarc says:

How’s that? Gwen is RTD’s Mary Sue. Seriously, does no one learn any thing in school these days? Basic analysis…

• maggie says:

I haven’t read any Starz press release about Gwen being Jack’s true love. And even if some dumb publicist did write something like that, it isn’t what the show is about. Torchwood clearly shows Gwen and Rhys as being in love. Gwen is addicted to the excitement of Jack and Torchwood, but she loves Rhys. Jack has had many loves over the years, but knows that he can never stay with one.

• Rose says:

Jack’s one true love is The Doctor.

• Sam says:

The press release said Jack was brought back to Earth by his love for Gwen. There’s nothing that says it is romantic love, but people want to read into it what they will.

Ianto’s been in the ground for two years now. I don’t think there’s much of him to bring back.

• maggie says:

As much as I loved Ianto, please don’t bring him back. It would ruin the integrity of the show, and that would get me to stop watching.

7. CraigM says:

I liked it, but it would have been much better with more of Gwen and Captain Jack.

8. Dana says:

I enjoyed it, but I didn’t love it. It certainly didn’t grab me like Children of Earth did.

Do the ratings include DirecTV’s free preview on the Audience channel?

9. alien says:

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope it lasts. :)

10. Chrissy says:

These are just the US ratings on a paid channel, wait until it is shown in it’s homeland on a decent channel in The UK, to see how successful it is. John Barrowman is a National Treasure and everything he does is loved and received here.
    The anticipation for this fourth season is incredibly high.

• Vince says:

John Barrowman is a National Treasure? Are you kidding. I love Torchwood and Doctor Who and will continue to watch regardless of ratings, but John Barrowman is NOT a National Traeasure in the UK. He is an AMERICAN ACTOR. But he is great in everyting he does none the less.

• Griff says:

I believeJohn Barrowman was morn in Scotland and raised in the Us.

• Andrew says:

John Barrowman has dual Anglo-American citizenship and was actually born in Glasgow, Scotland.

• Sue says:

Well according to the UK press this British actor is a national treasure. Have you not seen him celebrating his Scottishness as recently as last week?

• maggie says:

Barrowman was born in Scotland. When he was 9-years-old, his dad got a job in the US, and the family relocated to Illinois. He holds dual US/UK citizenship.

• lizzy says:

It’s amazing how many people don’t know this who claim to be fans of the show.

• @lizzy says:

maybe because people are fans of the SHOW instead of only caring about the ACTOR

• to person replying to @lizzy says:

Ahh…. but you have to remember, these are the same people who claim that you MUST like certain characters *coughJackcoughGwen* to call yourself fans of the show. And yes, I was a Jack fan but I never bothered to study his bio. I care about his work as an actor, not where he was born or where he calls home. But obviously fans of Torchwood are supposed to sit down and read the personal bios of all the actors… or at least the ones that we’re supposed to like.

11. Mikaylah says:

I for one like the Jack and Gwen show. I was a little put off about the different feel of the American production, but the changes seemed to matter less and less as the hour progressed. I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

12. dan says:

S3 got upwards of 6 million here(UK)… so these decent numbers goes to show how bad a move this is. The show should have gone to FX or TNT.

• Simon Jester says:

Why, so they would incorporate commercial breaks? Dumbest idea ever.

• dan says:

Putting it on either network would give the show access to a better production team, better actors and more people would watch. As for a adverts( commercial breaks), they aren’t evil. Look at the number of award winning shows CBS airs because of of the funding from adverts.

• Simon Jester says:

“Better actors” on TNT? Sorry, no. I’ll take Bill Pullman and Mekhi Phifer over Noah Wyle and Moon Bloodgood anyday.

• Tarc says:

Dear god, please do not say you were serious in saying MP can act. He can’t. he’s awful, and you need no further example than the travesty of non-acting he did in the first hour of Miracle Day. Everyone else was good, Bill Pullman was amazing, but Pfifer? Sorry, no. Not even a little. He’s been awful in every role he’s ever done.

• maglin says:

Do you have one thing that you can say that is positive about this show or do you have to bash everything?

• jen says:

commercial breaks aren’t that big of a deal….. I would rather have commercial breaks if it meant for better production

• J says:

I agree. Why the show was put on such an unknown channel like Starz I have no idea

• maggie says:

Starz came up with the money for such a big international production. Starz is hoping Torchwood will bring in new subscribers.

• penny says:

Have you seen shows like Spartacus on Starz? Torchwood found a good home here. Much better than what HBO did to True Blood, which only bears a passing resemblance to the books. They have room to grow on Starz, which can only be good.

• duh says:

you obviously don’t know anything about tv ratings

13. WIll says:

It was a decent start. I’m sure it’ll get better along the way.

It was available on demand earlier in the day through at least one cable outlet, so maybe a lot of people watched it that way.

14. Rodney says:

Hang in there, I heard that it gets super good by the 3rd episode. Just a rumor, but as a loyal fan, I’m thrilled to hear it!

• whatever says:

You must be referring to the (eyeroll) sex scenes episodes. Big whoop. I didn’t watch TW for the sex so as loyal to the original TW this rumor doesn’t do it for me. And before anyone asks, yes I watched MD epiosde 1 and was very unimpressed. It reminded me of pretty much every other science fiction show I have watched the last few years. I’m not sure if I’ll be watching the next episode as I watch little tv programming and to be honest, I’m a Who fan far more than TW. If I do watch it and it fails to impress again then I’ll be saying “no to TW”. Sorry for those who liked the episode but I for one was expecting something that had me wanting to know what happens next and I have to admit that the only things I liked about it were the Gwen & Rhys scenes and I think Esther is pretty cool. But that’s about it.

• Miss Puritan von Prudenheim says:

You dirty slattern! How dare you assume a fine fellow like Rodney was referring to the (ahem) fornication scenes. I’m sure he was referring to Michael Ausiello’s hint that things pick up around episode three.

But I guess we know where you mind leaps to, heavens to betsy (clutches pearls).

15. Michele says:

Loved it.

I do wonder what the ratings would be if they took into account the availability they created on the Starz site to watch the series online. I travel for a living and my set-up doesn’t allow for adding Starz right now to watch via my Tivo to a slingbox device so I was very happy to get to watch Torchwood 4.1 on Starz.com.

Many of my friends who wouldn’t order Starz for a show they didn’t know very well watched the series the same way to try it on for size.

I think it’s the one downside of the debut of an ‘genre’ show debuting on a smaller pay cable channel.

16. sweettoons says:

I found the season premier a little disappointing. I have been a huge fan since the show started… this season just seems to be a little lack lustier. I LOVE Jack and Gwen but I am not convinced about the US component… the other British shows that the US have tried to adapt have help up (ex: Skins and Being Human)… but I hope this show does get better.

17. Matt says:

My wife and I watched the premiere and we enjoyed it, but we missed the “Torchwood” theme song and we were wondering when Captain Jack was going to show up. Moving the show from Cardiff to the U.S. may work, but I’m going to have a hard time wondering why they couldn’t just operate out of the hub.

18. Amber says:

It was my first ever Torchwood, and I loved it. I’m going back to watch the show from the beginning, and can’t wait for this week’s ep.

19. cynthia says:

i felt the acting did not match up to all the previous seasons-S1/2 had relatvely unknowns but the chemistry and charisma was brilliant.The editing was clumsey-it seem to lurch from scene to scene-not sure about the UK/USA mesh -it felt forced-and for a supposedly serious drama you really had to suspend belief-but the same was true of COE-the original TW was a lovely blend of relationships and dry humour so you did not take it to seriously-i really missed the witticisms which were absent MD -and little things like Rex grabbing a bottle of pills and them swallowing them with out looking at the label was just sloppy writing.I personally do not feel Gwen and CJ interesting enough on their own and the new charactors did not grab me-the liitle crrepy man bulding the 456 aquarium felt more creepy than Oswald Jones and the whole execution scene was overblown.Scenes between Rhys and Gwen were nice as was the Welsh landscape.What i like about Rhys is he is just so down to earth.PC Andy who is normally so funny was underwritten where as Gwen was overwritten.Thats my take.

20. davey says:

I would love to see this but I don’t have STARZ.

21. SiouxieSioux says:

I really thought it sucked big time. Shame. I had high hopes and thought Children of the Earth was already as low as you could go. (Potatoe Truck, oh please!)
    I am really wondering if Mekhi Phifer ist channeling Jack Bauer…?

22. SiouxieSioux says:

plus: what cynthia said!

23. Steph says:

I didn’t realize how much I missed these characters until I sat down to watch the premiere! I do miss Tosh, Owen, and Ianto, but I am keeping an open mind and look forward to getting to know the new characters.

As for the premiere itself, I was a bit underwhelmed, but I’ll hold out judgement for a few more episodes. I just hope it doesn’t become too Americanized and watered down. I think the rating is TV-14 now (?) which is a bit disappointing but again, keeping an open mind.

24. Carolyn says:

I did like the episode, but I still do miss Ianto, Tosh, and especially Owen. I loved Torchwood from the get-go; the dynamic has changed so much – the deaths of three major [beloved] characters within four episodes and the characters of Jack and Gwen going from having almost limitless powers to being hunted down as criminals – well, it’s a lot of change. Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season has in store for us.

25. Duck Pond says:

I liked it. It is off to a good start. Slow, but good. I understand that they need to introduce and re-introduce characters, Torchwood, etc.

I won’t stop watching because Ianto, Tosh, or Owen died though. In fact, I think that “Torchwood” is one of the few shows that COULD still on go on following the death of a major character.

I loved Ianto, but he’s gone people!! From a previous Jack/Ianto shipper, LET HIM GO!!!

26. Annie says:

I won’t go as far as Sonia, but Torchwood was all about the characters. None of the stories were ever really engrossing (Except Children of Earth), and the plot holes were humongous. While it’s okay for characters to die, and the fact that people at Torchwood die young, and often, was established from the start, the show is just not the same without the key core of characters. The absence of Owen, Tosh and Ianto just magnifies how shoddy the plots are, and that John Barrowman has the tendency to overact.

27. nate says:

People need to stop crying over past characters, people didn’t stop watching buffy when angel left. Stop bitching please.

• rogue time agent says:

People watch tv shows because of the characters. They follow the story through the characters. Think of old tv shows you’ve heard about – people remember the names, not necessarily individual plots. Torchwood was a show that depended heavily on the characters and their interactions and relationships.

There is no need to curse. People can share their opinions and you don’t have to agree.

• Sam says:

It’s been one episode. Don’t you think you need to give it more than that to see how these characters develop and interact with one another?

• Hmm says:

is nate not sharing his opinion? why are some people allowed to share their opinions but not him?

• Mike says:

But pretty much everyone stopped watching Buffy after Anya died. I mean, she was a fan favorite.

• gb says:

Do you mean Tara? Wan’t Anya on the entire last season?

• Rose says:

Anya died in the last 10 minutes of the BtVS series finale. So I guess eveyone did stop watching the show after that episode. ;-)

• Angelgirl says:

I stopped watching Buffy after Angel left. He was the one I liked. Buffy was okay but just because she was Buffy didn’t guaranntee my liking her. So I never finished the series. I watched Angel’s show instead. So I totally understand the whole “The Character(s) I like(d) is/are gone/dead so I’m done with this show” feeling that some have. I haven’t seen MD yet because I have enough bills than to add a single channel for a single show. The $25 rebate after three months isn’t worth it and I don’t like any of the other shows on Starz. I will wait until it’s on DVD as I’m sure I’ll be able to either borrow from someone or rent.

28. rogue time agent says:

Bleh. Give me Cardiff and the Rift. That’s what made it special. The team and the characterization gave it the magic. I don’t need the CIA in LA. I liked the secretive in the shadows feel with aliens tech where the team had some idea what they were doing. Not the government is going to get us hopelessness of it all.

29. Catherine says:

Pleased with the first episode and can’t wait for more.

I did like all of the prior series of Torchwood, but this looks to be even better than Children of Earth, which was phenomenal.

It’s disappointing that people can’t get it on Netfix right away, but I suppose that’s the point, to subscribe to Starz. I hope torrents/downloads won’t negatively impact the ratings.

30. Sivat says:

What are the ratings for Children of Earth on BBC America? That would be a better comparison than comparing it to two other Starz shows.

• matt says:

i believe its because starz is not a popular channel and many people aren’t subscribed to it so it would be more accurate to compare it to the numbers starz usually gets

• harry says:

The ratings were comparable to BBCA airing of Children of Earth.

31. Cat says:

Well, it’s not really Torchwood, is it? It’s OK (as in average) for a CSI-type show.. but, frankly, it’s not the show I hoped it would be.. and I doubt I will watch anymore episodes. (kinda bored me.) I would prefer the OLD Sci-Fi show that I fell in love with in Seasons 1 and 2.

32. Lisa says:

I’m already paying for HBO so I can see the 4th season of True Blood, won’t pay for Starz to see Torchwood. Will wait until it’s on DVD/Netflix.

33. Molly says:

Yup, I agree with Cat. It’s really NOT Torchwood anymore…. it’s not really even Science-fiction anymore, just another ho-hum “oh so slick” American drama. There’s just no heart and soul anymore. I miss Cardiff, the Hub, the Torchwood team.. and all those little quirky things that made it different,fun… and interesting. I’ll pass.

• maggie says:

Not sci-fi? Suddenly no one on earth can die, except Jack. They can even cut the head off of someone and they still live. That’s not sci-fi?

34. John Berggren says:

This was a great start to a new Torchwood run, but I miss the hell out of Ianto. They need to Miracle him back somehow.

35. Thom says:

I think it did a good job of both moving the story forward for experienced Torch Carriers and introducing the new watchers as well as get the story moving. The first epp really can’t be expected to do more than that. There are nine other epps. Will reserve judgement until the entire story is actually told…as I expect some turns I like and some I don’t. Like any piece…you need to look at the whole before passing too much judgement.

36. Michael E. says:

I loved having Gwen back on TV. If it would hve been on a non-premium channel the ratings would be a lot better. Looking so forward to the other nine episodes.

37. Billie says:

I liked Children of Earth but much prefered series one and two. I intend to give this series a chance but these sweeping stories are too over the top and the absence of the doctor in such a situation is highly unlikely. It made much more sense when it was Wales and the rift and now it seems to have gotten out of hand with RTD determined to do epic stories instea of simple and good episodes. Also they have killed off all the good characters.

38. Pat says:

Only because ‘no one else would have her…’ And who would? “Oh hi! I’m Gwen-I’ll sleep with my coworkers while in a HAPPY relationship as well as try to get with the boss-Cooper!”
    She’s biding her time…

• Kristi says:

I cannot STAND Gwen. Never liked her and especially despised her after how she began to treat Rhys. She doesn’t deserve him or Jack. And I wish the writers would stop trying to force a hinted at unrequited love between those two. I was irate when they killed Ianto and kept Gwen. Why do we always have to keep Gwen? I have a feeling RTD would kill off Jack before he’d get rid of stupid Gwen.

39. Kristi says:

Can’t afford the subscription fees for Starz. So I’ll have to wait for the DVD. :(

40. David says:

I was a little unsure after CoE, but willing to give it a try. To say, I am disappointed is a bit of an understatement. I really miss the The Hub, the SUV, Cardiff and all the old characters. It just not the same show. All that’s left is the name. I think they should have just called it something else.. and started fresh. You wanna call it a spin-off .. fine. But it’s not Torchwood. It’s now (trying desperately) to be a CSI/24/Law and Order or something show. and, to be honest, not really doing a very good job at THAT either. It didn’t GRAB me…… it just left me cold..and quite empty.

TORWCHWOOD R.I.P. I shall miss you.

41. Taffy says:

I was REALLY disappointed in it. Found it really boring, and the enormity of the errors in the procedural, legal, and medical aspects of the show are just too much for me to ignore. Two minutes on Google, writers. To be fair, if those errors were corrected there would be no show. Still not impressed with Gwen (if she’s so paranoid about being found, why is she in Cardiff without any attempt at a disguise? Never did like her; don’t like to be around people as self-centered and inconsiderate as she’s been since the beginning and it doesn’t look like she’s gotten any better.) Anyway, I didn’t find anything to grab me enough to care about tuning in to see more. Pity, but they’ve gotten rid of the things that attracted me to Torchwood and would have kept me watching in spite of a not-very-good season opener.

• Liz says:

The writers consulted with doctors, but I guess that isn’t accurate enough for you?

As for the legal ramifications, this is a post Children of Earth world. They mentioned 456 regulations. Obviously that had an affect on how the countries interact with one another.

It’s a sci fi show, after all. It’s not like any of the events that have happened in the past really occurred, which is why it is set slightly out of the real work in regards to world events. Take that into consideration when you claim the show is inaccurate after only one episode.

42. Jeremy says:

In a word: disappointing. The American characters were more charictatures and stupid ones at that. Best example is the CIA agent being surprised & angered by a toll bridge. We have such things in the states.

43. Jackie says:

I’m so happy this show is back! Stick with it, people! You will be glad you did

44. Tim says:

the old Torchwood wasn’t that great, I mean, be honest, this new incarnation is fresh and exciting, and to complain that the medical and judicial procedures are unrealistic is to ignore the silliness of the “hub” from the first two seasons, stick it out and see what fresh ground Davis can dig up for us

• Jay Beu says:

Well a lot of us thought series 1 and 2 were great and fun and unique. It’s a matter of personal preference and taste. I happen to like the “silliness of the “hub” from the first two seasons” because it was a breath of fresh air. i mean, be honest, a lot of shows first year or so is shaky. And as for seeing what RTD can do, well, he ruined my Captain for me so unless he makes Jack back into the person he was becoming in series 1 and 2…

45. SashaFarce says:

They’ve pretty much killed all the characters that I liked. I’m not a shipper or a fangirl, and I hate Gwen Cooper, so I have no interest in tuning in for her or Babe from AMC.

46. Sandy says:

I’ve been a fan of the new Dr Who and Torchwood and I was expecting wonderful things from Torchwood, but I wasn’t impressed by the photography at the beginning or the whole story line. When the credits came up at the end, I turned to my husband and said, that wasn’t very flash, was it? He agreed.

The whole getting them to America seemed contrived. CIA or not, there’s no way he would be able to force them to go over to USA to open up Torchwood, especially Gwen with a baby.

The only thing that I really loved, was Gwen holding her baby and shooting at the helicopter. Now that was cool. (although not what I would do if I had a baby. I would be hiding her somewhere and then shooting at the helicopter.)

Maybe if they had done a two hour premiere, it might have been better.

47. Amy says:

Ok, for starters, as mentioned in the article, Camelot’s premier episode came after the finale of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, which had 1.72 million viewers. That was a huge lead in. Plus Camelot aired during ratings season, not during the off-peak summer season. So I think the dead knoll from the ratings is a little premature.

Personally, I enjoyed the episode and will be tuning in again. Is the US/UK mash up a little disconcerting? Yes but I can live with it.

48. Joseph says:

Sort of mixed feelings about the 1st episode and maybe because of the character played badly by Mekhi Phifer. The idea behind the season is pretty cool when you think about it but it will come down to the actors and Mekhi is such a weak actor getting such bad material that it could make the series hard to watch.
    Doctor who brought in some new blood but in their case they lucked out with an amazing actor Mark Sheppard who we are only going to see briefly.

I really wish they had cast instead someone like Ron Livingston who is a great actor and was part of the mini series Defying Gravity. At list with somone like Ron the actor would have to go beyond lame racial sterotypes.

49. Mike says:

There is no way I’m paying $120/yr just to watch Torchwood. I’m incredibly dissapointed that it’s not on one of the more standard channels. Starz is not part of the available bundles in my area – it’s ala carte only.

So I, and millions of other potential watchers, will wait for the DVD set.

• gb says:

Why pay for a full year when it is only on for 3 months and you can get a $25 rebate from Starz after showing you added the channel for 3 months

50. Mike says: