ABC Family Renews Melissa & Joey - But What About Make It Or Break It?

Whoa! ABC Family has renewed Melissa & Joey for a second season, the network announced Monday.

The half-hour comedy, starring Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence, is currently in the middle of its first season. The show will return for Season 2 in 2012.

Melissa & Joey have proven to be a comedic powerhouse, with wonderful chemistry that has resonated with viewers in the tradition of great television pairings,” said ABC Family president Michael Riley. “As our focus on comedy continues to develop, we’re delighted to see it return next year as an integral part of the network’s expanding slate of original series.”

Meanwhile, no decision has been made about the fate of the network’s in-limbo gymnastics drama Make It or Break It.

1. TJ says:

Make It Or Break It is by FAR their best show. They’d be idiots not to renew it!!!!

• PortmanReview says:

Agreed!!! I love this show. It HAS to come back… It has to. It can’t end already. It’s not fair! Do you hear me ABC Family? Bring it back!!!

• fernando says:

WRONG!!! Pretty Little Liars is ABC Family best show and ratings prove it.

• Cat says:

PLL is fantastic, but MIoBI is really pretty great, too. I love that it allows female athletes to actually be athletes.

The most terrifying thing to me is that Secret Life keeps getting renewed. How bad is that show?!

• Sarah says:

Haha I hear you. Secret life is aweful. The acting and storylines are terrible. Really hope they renew MIOBI.

• TayMads says:

Just because PLL has bigger ratings doesn’t make it better. In my opinion MIoBI has better story lines and you feel more for the characters whenever something bad happens to them. I feel like you are more emotionally invested in the show and that with PLL it will start to get redundant if they don’t reveal who A is soon or at least give us more hints. So far we aren’t really getting anywhere with it. And I am a major fan of both shows but for me, MIoBI is better or at least more appealing to me and more relatable. But that is just my opinion.

• Lauren says:

I completely agree with you! Just because PLL has better ratings doesn’t mean it’s a better show. Tons of viewers don’t equal great writing. I watch both and I can tell you that Make it or Break it is a much better show. I think it’s the best drama on ABCfamily. It’s a shame more people aren’t watching it.

• nina says:

Fernando is right PLL is not the best show because of ratings but every one who watches it like it and if there was a poll on which show is the best on abc family you bet PLL will win, MIOBI is melodrama, PLL is full of drama and has many stories to tell while MIOBI are running out of stoires to tell, I say end the show.

• Chmarin says:

Okay, let me just end this debate – EVERY SINGLE SHOW on ABC Family is a piece of hot, flaming s**t.

• Mayra says:

Right now, I think PLL really is their best show, but it’s not about ratings…
        MIOBI used to be their best show, and somewhere they got lost. But it’s still pretty good. That finale was so freaking cute! We need more.

• Katie says:

Pretty little liars is good but i much rather watch Make it or break it….you have your ratings but to me, Make it or break it will always be better than any abc family show….

• Rose says:

You may have your ratings but Make it or break it will always be top on my list. Pretty little liars is good but it nothing compared to MIOBI. :)

• JASimmons says:

I love MIOBI and I am Praying and hoping they renew it for season 3!!!! I know some shows run their course but they haven’t even made it to the Olympics yet and it is one of the best shows on tv. I hope they at least let them make it to the Olympics if after that the show had run its course I would understand but they at least need to let them finish what they started!!!!

• bri says:

yessss im sosos happy i watched the whole season 1 in 5 days i love it, its soooo funny im glad to see that this show is staying yaya cant wait till next season so excited!!!

2. Ksue says:

I am DYING for MIOBI renewal news. I honestly don’t understand the hold up, the ratings have been pretty solid for an ABCfamily show, and we’re going into an Olympic year! Wouldn’t a show about olympic gymnasts in an olympic year be a good thing?

3. MelStone says:

I LOVE MAKE IT OR BREAK IT!!! While i watch Melissa & Joey, because they both hold a special place in my heart from childhood, it is usually background noise. MIORBI i designate time for! no texting, no tweeting, no NOTHING while it’s on! Please ABC Family, renew this AWESOME SHOW!!!

4. pmiller says:

Renew Make it or break it already ! It had solid ratings and really IS their best show. An Olympic-themed third and final season would be very appropriate.
    By the way, is it true that even if it comes back, Emily is out ? Apparently her deal should have been renewed or the deadline of the renewal should have been extended…her deal hasn’t been renewed, but the deadline also hasn’t been extended like the others’…I could be wrong. Thoughts ?

• Deej says:

Emily is indeed out as the Chelsea Hobbes has left the series due to her pregnancy.

• Erin says:

She was out due to pregnancy… that’s why they gave her that crazy, out-of-the-blue, storyline, but she’s already had the baby and has said that she wants to come back.

• Kait says:

Where is everyone hearing this. I look up “Is Chelsea going to be in the new season of MIOBI but it comes up with nothing. And other people say it is going to come back on July 28th but wouldnt you think that Abc family would be telling us this? I hate liars

5. Dirk says:

Well, I’m glad for Melissa and Joey (I’m such a tard for Melissa Joan Hart), but really, I’d rather have Greek back. Feel free to judge me for that. I’m just going to be judging you for wanting Make It or Break It renewed.

• Burghchick says:

I LOVED, LOVED Greek!!!! Best.Show.Ever.

• TayMads says:

I agree with you on Greek but I also feel like it kinda of ran it’s course. Most of the main characters graduated or were graduating so I feel like it was time for it to end even though it WAS ABCFamily’s best show by far. Sadly Greek isn’t coming back. :(

6. Emelie says:

I like Secret Life.

7. michelle says:

I’ve attempted to watch Melissa and Joey a couple times but I just can’t get into it. The acting is terrible and its full of really obvious one liners

8. flutiefan says:

didn’t Melissa & Joey start last year? i didn’t realize they considered this all one season.
    but whatever, it’s fun, mindless, harmless entertainment! i grew up with these 2 (we’re the same age) and i love seeing them both on TV again. :)

• TayMads says:

PLL is only in it’s second season as well even though it’s almost been on for three years. That’s just the way ABCFamily works though. They do about ten or twelve episodes and then do this extra long hiatus then come back for the rest of the ten episodes to complete the season. It’s weird but I guess that’s just the way they like to run things. Lol

• ChrisGa says:

Actually, PLL premiered in June 2010 so it’s only been on one year; the first season was broken up into to two cycles(one last summer and another in January), which a lot of basic cable shows seem to be doing these days. Either way, I think it’s a great show and better than SECRET LIFE or MIOBI if for no other reason than the acting is practically Oscar caliber in comparison to those two(esp SL, which I can’t stomach for even a few minutes). Also enjoy M&J even if it is rather mindless but the new Raven-Symone show is far funnier.

• kait says:

I love Raven! I absolutly loved her ‘Thats So Raven’ Show…Glad to see her back on my tv. :) And how the heck is Secret Life keep coming back on? The show has completly gone down hill. I used to love it but now I can’t stand it.

• Chris says:

I agree, I love Melissa and Joey together, the chemistry between the two is great and it just is simple enough to sit back and just enjoy without too much thought, not to mention Joey is easy on the eyes!

9. Kristi says:

Wait. I thought we were in the second season of Melissa & Joey already? Oh well, whatever they call it, I’m glad it’s coming back. It’s cute and fun and I love saying MJH and Joey Lawrence back on my TV screen.

10. Emme says:

I may be 27, but I LOVE make it or break it. I really hope it’s renewed.

• Lisa says:

lol I’m 33 and LOVE MIOBI too! I got in the game late. Watched both seasons on Netflix a few weeks ago. Really hope it’s renewed.

11. Coey says:

Its a sad state of affairs when a lame comedy has been renewed and a well written drama is basically thrown away. There is so much more the writes can get into with MioBi.

12. Kevin says:

Hope ABC Family renews MAKE IT OR BREAK IT for another season ’cause I desperately need my DJ Tanner fix aka Candace Cameron Bure.

13. kristine says:

make it or break it isn’t a great show, but secret life of the american teenager is much worse. if that trash keeps getting renewed, make it or break it should be.

14. Mairead says:

They should just change the name of Secret Life to Married…with Children.
    Maybe the copyright issues would finally get it off the air. Awful show. Awful.
    Hope MIOBI comes back though.

15. Sarah says:

I would love to have Make it or Break it renewed! My sister and I (she was a gymnast) watch it and talk about it all the time. She lives in New Orleans now but it allows us something to gossip about. I hate PLL. Greek is gone so I can’t watch that show anymore and I am sorry to say but Melissa and Joey is just plain sad.
    But can someone please tell Candace Cameron Bure to stop using BOTOX! Her face is starting to scare me. No one should have eyebrows and foreheads moving that way, and now she has some of the other women doing it too!

16. Jenny says:

I’m glad Melissa and Joey got renewed. While I haven’t seen many episodes, and it’s certainly not really my favorite show – there is always a place for family sitcoms, and I’m just glad that these two vets are carrying on that tradition. I grew up with Home Improvement, Family Matters, and Full House. Kids these days get CSI, Criminal Minds, How I Met Your Mother? Good shows, but not really family material. So I’m glad ABC Family has taken up the mantle with their original content.

17. Maribel A says:

Make It Break It !!!! More !!!! Please !!!!!

18. Deanna says:

I really hope MIOBI gets renewed. I loved how the season 2 finale ended, but I really want to see them go all the way to the Olympics. I love the characters, the storylines, and Payson JUST got an actual love interest! You can’t take the show away from us now! XD

Seriously, I need my MIOBI.

19. Meg says:

Omg miobi needs to be really renewed. I can’t believe Melissa & Joey was renewed….watched 1 episode and it was terrible. Please bring back miobi ….I need some more Sasha/Summer!

20. Sarah says:

I hope that they find a new love interest for Sasha if the show does come back. I have nothing against Candice but the botox face really unnerves me and her acting was much better when she was a kid. I know this is ABC family and was originally Pat Robertson’s channel, but I am kind of tired of her constant harping. I think it is wonderful that she has her views but is this show produced by her bother?
    On the flip side what is up with Payson’s love interest being bi? Again I am ok with people having their life choices but this character’s lifestyle flip kind of came out of left field…It would have been a little easier to accept if he showed any kind of interest in guys before, like a look or something!

21. Maribel says:

I live make it or break it. Please abc. You have to renew it many people will be upset. We need to see the girls go on after worlds. Please please. !!

22. Lisa says:

Make It Or Break It is a fantastic show and I will personally add to your ratings if you bring it back. I caught it after it aired on Netflix and watched all 40 episodes in less than a week. Great story lines, great actors, great gymnastics doubles, going into an Olympic year = genius. Besides, it opened my eyes to Johnny Pacar and his acting and music, which have both been wonderful.

23. MTH says:

I live in holland and I can’t wait ’till the second season : D the show is awesome!!!!!!!!!

24. Nia C. says:

I’m sad there is no more Chloe King! AND MIOBI sucks! Never watched PLL. But I love love LOVE Secret Life!!!!

25. Kaylee says:

PLL has better ratings because it keeps you at the edge of your seat, they are dropping pretty good hints, some people just dont know how to pay attention. In my personal opinion, its the only good drama,everything else is over-played. OH and shows/movies that are based off of books just make it all the better because they actually have an idea for episodes to come. But I do love Melissa & Joey. <3

26. brandy says:

Need to bring back Melissa,and Joe. Love the show. Can not end it.

27. Beans says:

Really love Melissa and Joey! So excited to see them back on tv and to hear it’s back for a second season! Had a crush on the Lawrence boys ever since Brotherly Love!