'Virgin' Vs. 'Safety'! 'Firework' Vs. 'Hell to the No'! Glee's Best Number Tourney Rages On!

Michael Jackson or Madonna? Neil Patrick Harris or Charice? These are the internal debates you’ll be having on our third day of Round 2 battles in TVLine.com’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament.

Exclusive: Glee Wants Chord Overstreet Back: ‘The Choice Is His’

We’re expecting some photo finishes in today’s quartet of second-round bouts, but the power is in your hands. It may come down to whether you’re on Team Bryan Ryan or Team Sunshine Corazon, or whether you’re in a Rachel Berry or Mercedes Jones kind of mood.

No, Gleeks, it won’t be easy whittling away our 32 remaining numbers down to just 16, but alas that’s the only way to determine which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you mentally humming your favorite Glee moments and anxiously wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 2 voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. Damien Barber says:

Madonna is the QUEEN.

No contest, no one in this era can match her.

Dame Ian.

2. Alison says:

I cannot believe that Kevin McHale’s superb dancing and singing in “Safety Dance” are being beaten by “Like a Virgin.” WTF, Gleeks?

• Brian says:

Honestly, I’m not a fan of Kevin McHale’s singing voice, nor am I a fan of Madonna really. So, that was a tough choice for me. However, I went with the Madonna number because at least it wasn’t Kevin McHale’s annoying nasaly voice.

• Victoria E says:

Give it time. Voting just opened. This is one of the best numbers from Season 1 and I think it will come out on top.

• maa says:

i no rite

• Karen says:

My thoughts exactly! It’s probably in my top 5 all-time Glee-performances

• Jewel says:

I can’t believe anyone would prefer the Safety Dance to Like a Virgin. wtf

• Quist says:

Safety Dance was terrific, while I can’t remember who sang Like A Virgin. Safety Dance was so memorable, how can Virgin be beating it? Grrrr.

• Michael says:

I loved the scene because it gave Kevin the chance to show of those dancing skills, but I hate the song with a passion. The Madonna song won for me by default.

• Evan says:

I agree. This tournament’s results are atrocious. People are clearly voting for whatever song as sung by the original artist they prefer. There is no way that the Glee performance of “Firework” was better/more exciting/whatever than Glee’s “Hell to the No.” Same for “The Safety Dance” losing to “Like a Virgin” (which is clearly the better song when sung by Madonna). Same for “Dream On” versus “Telephone.” Good grief.

• Lily says:

I disagree. Hell to the No is a terrible song with terrible lyrics, that is not the best song that Mercedes did and I do not know why it is in this tournament. Safety Dance bored me and I did not like the singing. IMO Like a Virgin was far superior and better sung. I lost respect for you when you said that telephone was better than dream on. That is laughable. Telephone had too much autotune.

• Evan says:

“Telephone had too much autotune.”

Um, have you not noticed that everything on Glee is autotuned, including NPH in “Dream On”? Just listen to the scooped notes at the end of his phrases.

And the point of “the Safety Dance” is- SHOCK OF ALL SHOCKS!- the *DANCING*. I mean, the whole point of the song was that Artie could walk/dance… and you “did not like the singing”? #MissedThePoint

In the same vein, the point of “Hell to the No” was to have silly lyrics and be a failed attempt at writing a song for regionals. And you complain about its “terrible lyrics.”

One of my original points was that the voters in this poll seemingly have no clue as to the purpose that certain songs play in the show. Your last post provides Exhibits A, B, and C.

• F says:

Lily is right, Hell to the No is awful. I didn’t even bother to download it onto my massive Glee playlist. It’s fun and upbeat, but one of the stupider original songs (and there are some pretty stupid ones). Firework, on the other hand, is probably one of the best Rachel moments of the entire series. It shows that she remembers how to be the strong, driven Rachel that we know and love instead of the pitiful shadow she has become in the wake of her failed relationship with Finn. Lea Michele’s performance makes one of the better Katy Perry songs as good as it can possibly be with her superior vocals – I nearly cried when Rachel walked out of the infirmary room after her conversation with Finn and instead of breaking down just totally blossomed during this wonderful, emotion driven performance.

• Evan says:

How many “Rachel regains her strength” songs must we put up with? It seems like every other episode she’s either singing about how emotionally devastated she is or how she’s going to move on.

And the problem I have with your “She’s getting over Finn– it’s such a powerful moment” argument is that given Glee’s back-and-forth plot, we know that in two episodes she’s going to be an emotional mess once again.

3. TayMads says:

Is kinda bummed Safety Dance is losing but everything else I voted for for the most part is winning. I have a huge theory that everything is being set up so certain numbers will win. I mean putting Firework versus Hell to the No when everyone knows that freaking Firework will win because anything where Lea Michele sings the solo will win even though in my opinion Hell to the Know was more entertaining and more catchy…and I’m a sucker for original AND catchy. I don’t think this poll should be about who sings better than who. I think it should be about the combination of which is the better performance AND which is more entertaining. But that’s just my opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

• Amy says:

Safety Dance is okay, but Like a Virgin definitely is better, imo. I think Firework should win because it was an emotionally resonant moment with a good performance, and because Hell to the No is a generic Mercedes song, and a good picture as to why the Original Songs don’t always work. It’s all just a matter of varying opinion.

• Evan says:

Right, and “Firework” was completely original and non-generic. We had never before heard Rachel warble some ballad about loving one’s (aka her-)self. :eyeroll:

4. Paris says:

I am glad safety dance is losing. That song is pretty bad and even though Artie finally danced I wasn’t really impressed by it. Like a Virgin is a performance I absolutely love. First of all I love the song and how they had rachel, emma, and santana have the same outfits and the same moves. The editing of this scene was just great. Like a Prayer should be winning by a lot, it was so good while the thriller mashup had too much autotune.

5. Kate says:

Im too upset that Safety Dance beat out Run Joey Run!

6. bambam says:

Now voting is getting hard! But Safety Dance is my all time favorite Glee number no matter what anyone else says. I think Dream On or Don’t Rain On My Parade will win overall, though. The good news is, this is what you call an embarrassment of riches.

7. ErixN says:

dang… I voted for the ones that are currently losing.

8. Amy says:

Like a Prayer and Like a Virgin should both win. The Power of Madonna was the best episode of Glee ever and the songs in that episode some of Glee’s best.

9. Liz says:

Dream On and Hell to the No are the best as far as I’m concerned.

10. Fez says:

Didn’t really like ‘Like a Virgin’ but ‘Like a Prayer’ was epic, one of the best Glee covers and performances. Dream On was eh, and I didn’t really like Hell to the No, or Fireworks (theres no coming back from someone comparing themself to a plastic bag). Hell to the No, moment was cute (Mercedes was amazing, as usual) but the song was like ‘really? okay? next’. While Fireworks, moment was nice because we saw Rachel moving on, but giving Finchel fans hope but the song was just so overproduced, it killed me. And considered ‘Don’t Stop Believing and a Rachel solo will prolly be the top two. Hell to the No, FTW.

11. Andi says:

The only one that was hard for me this time was Like a Prayer vs. Thriller/Heads Will Roll. I ended up going with Like a Prayer just because I remember the first time I heard it, it gave me cold chills. I just wish that everything from that Madonna episode lived up to it.

I hated Like a Virgin. I really hope that it goes out this round. I went with Dream On more because of a dislike of Telephone. Firework was pretty crappy for a Rachael song but come on…Hell to the No seems like a joke entry to me anyways. I prefer Amber’s voice but I’d rather hear it in something more serious.

• Livia says:

I agree about Hell to the No. I like the song because it’s fun and catchy, but it’s clearly not her best song. I’m surprised that Ain’t No Way wasn’t even an option in this poll. She sung that song epically.

12. Marina says:

Like a Prayer is my favorite Glee song ever.

• Lauren says:

I loved the itunes release, because Jonathan Groff had a line and it was awesome. I wish they had just left it as it was in that. I listened to that first and it didn’t live up to it on the show because of the cuts. I still voted for it though.

13. Grace says:

Yo. One of Rachel Berry’s most forgettable (and most offensively auto-tuned) performances of the season beating THE most fabulous/hilarious/adorable thing to come out of ‘Original Songs??’

oh HELL TO THE NO!

14. Hannah says:

I’m so confused as to how “Firework” is beating “Hell to the No”
    I know it sounds funny, but I am a huge Lea Michele fan, but I don’t think her version of “Firework” was better. She is fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but “Hell to the No” had an insanely catchy beat, it was downright hilarious, and it fit Amber’s voice perfectly (even if some of the lyrics were somewhat stupid.)

Dream On vs. Telephone…meh. I wen’t with Dream On, just because I didn’t like all the autotuned nonsense going on during Telophone. (LEA MICHELE SHOULD NOT BE AUTOTUNED.)

The Saftey Dance vs. Like A Virgin…incredibly hard to choose. I love Kevin McHale’s voice, and Saftey Dance was a terrific number, so I voted for it.

Thriller/HWR vs. Like a Prayer…obviously Like a Prayer should win. OBVIOUSLY. I’m sorry, but Thriller/HWR was the perfect form of Hairography.

15. Kim says:

People are always complain about everyone getting a part and Like a Prayer has many voice yet it is hardly winning against thriller/head which wasn’t really very good…what?

16. Vetle says:

Every song I voted for is losing. wat.

“Thriller”/”Heads Will Roll” is SO much better than “Like A Prayer”. :/

• thomas says:

Totally !
      The choreography, the costumes and the effects were probably the best among all Glee’s performances. Combined they make one of the most entertainaing performance !

17. Jeff says:

Pretty weak round all together. None of these will make it to the finals.

I don’t think the novelty songs should even be included but whatever.

18. Lenny says:

I don’t think Firework is Lea’s best either but it goes to show you how constantly good she is. When Firework is one not her best but it still is better than the original and has half a million people up and singing along to it during the concert tour.

The girl sells songs, enough said…

19. ThereasonsY says:

Maybe it is just me, but before I vote I listen to the iTunes version and then watch the youtube clip of the songs. It reinforces some memories like Dream On was stunning visually but annoying on iTunes while reminding me of how much better certain performances were than others. Firework is one of the stronger audio tracks but the use of the song in the story just annoyed me. Where as Hell to the No annoyed me because the kids didn’t fight harder for a good song.

20. Kayly says:

so this is my opinion in today

I don’t know why but I always loved listening to telephone on glee i mean I aint a big Gaga fan but I love the song and any song that I love better than the original artist is usually my favorite.
    Like a prayer was just so uplifting the way it was preformed and sung absolutely moving i must say, lolz
    any performance with Artie I usually skip so i really cant remember safety dance that well but Like a virgin I play over and over my best friend and i sing along to it all the time so I pick it over safety dance any day.
    I have never heard Hell to the no for some reason, but anyway I dont really love Amber voice as every one else does, fireworks was exceptional and I love lea Michelle too.

I am really hoping like a virgin goes through, I dont think it should win but the performance and vocals were very well done. :)

21. Kevin says:

I really enjoy safety dance and I do hope this song will win over Like a virgin which I found the worst of all the Madonna songs the glee cast did

22. Taylor says:

How in the world is Hell to the No losing to Firework?!?!?!?!?!
    At least Dream On’s beating Telephone.

• Kat says:

I am guessing it is becasue it is a novelty song or that Lea is 50% more popular than Amber.

• Emily says:

I think Hell to the No doesn’t hold a candle to Firework. The upbeat melody is the only thing going for Hell to the No. The lyrics are shallow and the music itself is nothing special. It losing has nothing to do with Lea Michele being more popular

23. Jessica says:

Why the hell is Like a Prayer losing to that awful mash-up. Srsly, when I heard Like a Prayer for the first time I had goosebumps. I mean the harmonies, the choir, Amber belting out those notes; it was magical. When I heard Thriller/Heads Will Roll for the first time my only thought was, ‘how dare they insult Michael Jackson and Yeah Yeah Yeahs by having them share a song.’ That coupled with the obvious autotuning made it one of the glee song that I hate the most.

24. Jack S says:

Telephone, Safety Dance & Firework easily. But LAP & T/HWR are two of the best things they’ve ever done. In the end I had to give it to Like A Prayer, a truly magical performance in what I find to be a slightly disappointing episode.

25. Caroline says:

Like a Virgin is in my top 5 favorite Glee numbers so I really hope it wins.

26. NanCeE* says:

J’loathe that Firework keeps making it through the rounds. J’loathe the song and it’s certainly not one of Glee’s best in my opinion.

27. Captain says:

Like a Prayer vs Thriller?!!! It’s like Sophie’s Choice. Two of my favourite numbers ever. Plus Firework is also amazing!

28. Rich says:

Amazingly enough, this many rounds in, I still don’t care.

29. emiliano says:

Thriller rulzzz, don´t be pussys and vote for it

30. Shay says:

Bring back MORE MADONNA!! Thats what FIRST got me HOOKED on the show! The music video of VOGUE with Sue, and Kurtcedes was AMAZING!! I MISS those moments from Season 1 that made me a gLEEK!!

31. lacey says:

Not that I object to Safety Dance losing, but shouldn’t you have pitted the two Madonna songs against each other?

32. daVID says:

HEY Thanks for seeding the songs ion each region 1 -16. good to avoid those 1st round cutthroat matches

33. Vetle says: