TNT Renews Falling Skies For Season 2

TNT has ordered a 10-episode second season of its Noah Wyle-fronted alien invasion drama Falling Skies, to air in summer 2012.

With a cumulative weekly audience of more than 6 million viewers, the Steven Spielberg-produced thriller stands as cable’s No. 1 new drama.

Falling Skies is a true standout series, from its ambitious storytelling, high-profile cast and production team to its phenomenal success when it comes to international and time-shifted viewing,” said TNT bigwig Michael Wright. “We’re reaching new audiences with Falling Skies and look forward to seeing where this fascinating and exciting series takes us next.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals, Scoop

1. Dandana says:

that was quick! They only have like 2 episodes out! Im really excited for this sunday!

• Sarah says:

More like 4 episodes out. Its not very uncommon, Walking dead was renewed after only the first or second episode.

2. Skitter says:

Good news!

3. corky t says:

good! im really liking this show

4. Jacob says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I love this show. I was iffy after the Pilot, but I kept on and now I love it. It’s improved so much from that one episode and keeps getting better.

5. cody says:

6. Sheldon says:

AWEEEEEEEEEESOME!

7. Melinda says:

I absolutely LOVE Falling Skies, I’m not so wild about TNT and the billions of commercials that come with it though…

• Sue says:

That’s why I DVR the show and fast forward through all the ads. I love Falling Skies so this is very good news.

• Sarah says:

Seconded. DVR and fastforward. All you have to do is wait about 10 to 20 minutes after it starts and then you can start from the beginning and fastforward through the commercials as it records the rest. That’s what I do, anyway.

• PPPG says:

I watch True Blood, DVR the 2 hour Leverage/Falling Skies block and start it at 10 and I’m usually done by 11:30 … give/take

8. Sarah says:

This is great, I’m really enjoying this show week to week. Since this summer is the first time I’ve ever had cable, it’s a blast to actually watch them live. I adore Noah Wyle a lot ever since I was a fan of ER so it’s been fun to see him as a completely different character. Another standout character to me is Colin Cunningham as Pope, whom I loved as Major Davis in SG1. They could not be more different characters, so it’s a treat to see him in a new role. I’m really looking forward to what the story brings and I’m glad it’s going to have it’s time to tell what needs to be told.

9. Dwayne says:

So awesome to hear!! Now, I can watch with joy knowing there will be a Season 2! I think it makes a perfect summer show. I swear during these months I live on USA & TNT alone!!

10. Kosher Deputy says:

Gave up after first 45 minutes on night one of the series due to the oppressive amount of commercial breaks to remind me to watch the show and thankfully I can’t remember the car company that was being jammed down my throat. Might watch it on DVD.

11. I am a total Sci-Fi geek. I am a fan of Noah Wylie. I watch far too much television. And yet I can’t find myself excited enough by “Falling Skies” to even give it a chance. A second season means that I will have more opportunity to get around to seeing it, and if I like it, to get on board. But there is something about the ads I have seen that has kept me away.

• Lyndsey says:

Sci Fi is one of my favorite genres & I love Wylie yet I kind of felt the same way. However I went ahead & had my DVR record it then watched the first 2 episodes back-to-back & I fell in love. Started a little slow but it just keeps getting better (and Captain Dale Dye as the Resistance leader was just phenomenally good casting…the Vietnam vet just exudes inspiring confidence)!!! Besides, as a historian, any show that chooses a history professor as the hero makes me do my happy dance!! :-)

• Tivochick says:

Totally get where you are coming from. Do this: accumulate a few shows on your DVR and watch them back to back. Think you will like it. Character development is interesting. Pope is a “Lost” Sawyer-esque character. Whole series is: what if “Independence Day” had succeeded.

12. Jason says:

Suck it, haters! RENEWED.

13. mike says:

awesome

14. Brian says:

Why only 10 episodes…?

15. bhm1304 says:

They better hire new writers for Season 2 because this first season with its religious garbage, horrid young actors, and awful scripts and dialogue needs improvement. “Battlestar Galactica” is currently running its first season on BBCA and the difference between the two similar shows is so glaring. On one you have great actors and great scripts on the newby you have neither.

• Don J says:

Actually season 2 will have an entirely new writing staff and a new showrunner as well. Everyone who worked on season 1 has moved on to other projects.

• chillydogs says:

Seriously? Because if that is true, this show might have hope. The family-friendly scenes are so jarring. They should focus on the humans fighting aliens. That’s what I thought this show was about.

• Lucy says:

Your a jerk and a stupid one at that, don’t you realize a person’s life consist of the physical, emotional and spiritual areas. Steven Speilberg knows it that’s why he’s putting the spiritual factor in this shows, but only a person with an IQ of 45 object to it. Really!!!!!!!!!!

16. Tej says:

It’s like they’re trying to prove to all the pragmatic people who said this wouldn’t last more than 1 season that they are wrong. They rushed into this decision. Even Rizzoli & Isles, which had the highest-rated cable commercial-supported debut of all time, wasnt renewed this fast. TNT is going to regret this when they get the bill for the special effects. Although the load of money they must be getting from all the commercials will probably soften that blow.

Forget this. I’m sticking to USA this summer and, like the previous poster, BSG on BBCA. Hotter guys (Jamie Bamber…come on), better actors, more interesting plot, more intelligent script…the list goes on. This coming from a teenage girl who is anything but a geek. Don’t waste your time on Falling Skies when there’s better stuff like BSG and Burn Notice on right now.

• Lyndsey says:

Only a teenage girl would pick a show because of how “hot” the guys are! Most of us aren’t looking for eye candy but for thoughtful & intelligent entertainment…which Falling Skies provides in spades!

By the way, given that Falling Skies has been averaging 6 million viewers per episode (better than most other cable shows), TNT would have been quite foolish not to renew & guarantee they get to keep their actors for next season (look what happened to Starz’s Camelot when they didn’t lock their 3 leads into contracts for the second season)!

• Tej says:

That’s not why I picked it. I provided numerous other reasons. And that’s also a completely untrue statement; for example, White Collar’s advertising program is basically reliant on all the women (and men) who can’t get enough of Matt Bomer’s eyes, abs, whatever. NCIS would have started off way weaker in 2003 if they hadnt had Mark Harmon to make all the middle-aged women go nuts. QED.

17. Linderella says:

I love this show! I tuned in when I heard Noah Wyle would star and that the show is produced by Steven Speilberg. I watched the first episode as it was broadcast but after the amazing number of commercials – and I don’t mean amazing in a good way – I decided to DVR it and start watching about 30 minutes after an episode begins so I could skate through the commercials. As much as people pay for cable TV, you’d think those channels would have less commercials than the networks. No such luck.

I am thrilled the series will return next year…it is must see summer TV along with Covert Affairs.

18. David says:

I wonder if TNT will continue to pair Leverage with Falling Skies, if they do I hope to hear about a Leverage renewal soon :)

19. Rachel says:

LOVE IT. So glad they’re continuing the show, and I hope they keep up the powerhouse Sunday nights. It’s awesome.

• Mr Spock says:

I think this is only working for them right now because there is nothing else on. If Mad Men or Breaking Bad (or even Desperate Housewives!) were on Sunday nights, this show would be toast.

20. Tobi says:

I am so pumped!! I absolutely love this show. I think the more human moments mixed in with all the battling and surviving are an excellent touch to give us an example of what it would really be like in such a situation. And I find the religous touch to be endearing. I don’t find it overbearing at all, there’s basically only one person on the whole show that prays or believes in anything.

I’m just thankful this show didn’t end up on FOX or it would never have had a chance!

21. I have to say I am so glad Falling Skies is being renewed for a 2nd season. At least I can watch the first season knowing it won;t be cancelled and that I wasted my time again with a storyline that has no chance of being finishes off and actually learning what it was all about…

22. Skies Fan! says:

Awesome news! I love this show! Now I can watch it without worrying there may not be a second season and I wasted my time! This show is definitely worth watching!

23. Webster Phreaky says:

This show is hokey, even stupid; saying it has bad writing would be a compliment. The effects are CHEAP and 3rd rate … all of which is what I WOULD expect from hack Steven Spielberg. This guy had his 15 minutes of fame dragged on tooooooo long with Star(less) Wars already. (Samuel L Jackson, Bronx accent and all as a Jedi??? Slap forehead! )

Falling Skies has a CHEAP look, CHEAP feel, CHEAP effects, CHEAP actors and a St Vincent dePauls script. Noah Wylie couldn’t over-act his way out of a wet paper bag, and thank god they killed off Steven Weber, another incredibly horrible OVER ACTOR! In fact everyone in this cast is horrible and should be working at Goodwill Industries learning a new occupation …. acting isn’t working for them!

The writing is like a jigsaw puzzle, unfortunately the parts are from 100 prior Sci-Fi Alien’s Attack the Earth TV shows and B movies with a smattering TV Westerns thrown in for good measure, all in the same puzzle box. Connectivity between personalities is non-existent and characters are absurd. Will Patton and Dale Dye are caricatures from Apocalypse Now. Everyone is sleepwalking through their parts. Wait, maybe they are actually asleep!

If it weren’t that TNT is desperate for anything to put on the Boob Tube, this show would been canceled after episode 1, if it made it to even a Pilot screening at all. I’m sure that putting it on at 10PM Sunday’s has saved it this long, since everyone is already asleep by the time it goes on the air.

This pathetic show makes V look like the production quality of Titanic the movie.

Falling Skies gets 5 Burned Popcorn’s and one well used snot rag rating. Please don’t watch it, surely you have something better to do, like iron clothes or de-flee your dog?

• Richard Ray Jones says:

It’s a great show! To bad I think your so wrong about the show, and so do 5-6 million viewers that also watch the show each week. The main networks don’t do that good on many of the shows they air each week. I think the only thing wrong with this show is that we have to wait until summer 2012 to see more.

• Don Napier says:

Yo genius! Steven Spielberg had absolutely nothing to do with star wars!! That was George Lucas… If you cant even get your directors right then please shut up!! I mean Spielberg only directed some of the best movies ever.. ET,Close encounters,Jaws,Raiders Of The Lost Arc,15 mins of fame indeed!! you are a joke Mr phreaky!! falling skies started off a bit slow but has picked up a lot.Bit too setimental for my liking but hey you cant win them all!!

24. verne says:

“Seem to be experimenting some technological differences.”Ow! My Balls!
    Ow! NO! Ow! Ow! Ah! Ow!” Falling Skies is a Great show great show but you know they will cancel it before it reaches 20 episodes. Seems like nothings on anymore more, like its the Invasion of “Reality”show and taking over the air, so I colored my hair this morning, tonight I’m watching the highlights.
    Interrupt this program for late breaking news!!! Beavis and Butt-Head has hijack the Networks!!!
    (hehehehe) They had this brain FART, now ”Reality” TV. On 7 days a week!!! Beavis and Butt-Head cooked up “Reality”TV, combining “Jack Ass and Wrestling” putting in a blender, and leaving the top off.
    Reality bacteria – they’re the only culture some people have.
    I cannot sing, dance or act; what else would I be, ah! Duh! Reality star!!!!.
    Warning Warning!!!
    Beavis and Butt- Head dumb-ing up the networks and, uh going family-style on America stupidity. Turning us into hybrid of hillbilly, valley girl, inner-city slang leaving intelligence continued deteriorating.
    Warning Warning, The new era, “Reality” shows cheap replacement for series show. walking into Dysfunctional“Reality” the new family shows and obtain our I.Q proceed to decline .,. Its like I have woke up into the movie “Idiocracy”where the network are run by
    Beavis and Butt-Head world,In the days to come, population exploded, and our intelligence continued to decline until the humanity will be incapable of solving even it’s most basic problems. Next generation will reward those who reproduced the most and left the intelligent to become an endangered species with no natural predators to thin the herd it.” The Idiocracy of it all. . .
    Beavis and Butt-Head Nielsen rating depends on its “Live”viewers which r dying off.. No more leap into our imagination by brilliant writer. Relationship between imagining and acting. they’re imaginative leap of such thinking is entirely man’s prerogative,and it is this which distinguishes himself from the upper primate. It is what makes man human.. Beavis and Butt-Head don’t understand series while it reqire brain cell they don’t have. Turning the networks into SEWAGE TV.,Networks works need to hire a hit man and get rid of Beavis and Butt-Head
    Then hire some bright people feel their shoes. Someone
    that want let Technology bypass the networks. Someone understand new technology enthusiast watch more programs then ever. DVR’S made it convenant to tape and watch when we want pluss anywhere we have, internet connection . Our punsinshment for walking in today convenience of DVR’S ect., Network surrender to Beavis and Butt-Head. Instead of working on the problem come up with a reasonable solution. Maybe work on putting commerical inside the series. Turn the series into cash. Get series on to DVD’s. Work on a solution not the destuction to the series and the networks.
    I rant therefore I am!!!
    I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain.

25. vince says:

enough of the save the kids tripe its old it SUCKS they should line up the kids and put a bullet in their heads better that than have to rescue them every week. this show had possibilities and Steven Spieglschnamer must be getting simple minded in his old age he should retire. the show is quickly becoming the biggest steaming pile of _______ fill in the blank.

26. Kevin D Johnson says:

I think falling skies is the show of the year I can’t wait until sundays. Sad that its over so quick

27. jeff says:

WOW! Great show and I {Commercial Break} really mean great. The {Commercial Break} only thing that would make it {Commercial Break} even better would {Commercial Break} be less commercials. {Commercial Break}{Commercial Break}{Commercial Break} I mean, its not {Commercial Break}like they have a huge special {Commercial Break} effects budget. Come on, {Commercial Break} why do they need all {Commercial Break} the extra commercial revenue? {Commercial Break}

But seriously, no matter how great the show, I have to draw a line at being clubbed over the head every 8-10 minutes with yet again another commercial break. After 4 episodes, I gave up and deleted the season pass. Please learn a lesson TNT… {Commercial Break}

28. toney bray says:

Why is it going to be that long before we see it again we all love this show and wish you would put it on sooner

29. Diana says:

Yesssssss I love this show cant wait for next season to see whats going to happen.”lost” was also my favorite..

30. Colleen Ann Potter says:

Next Summer ???How the heck do they expect people to wait a bleeding year ?

31. Robin says:

I talked so much about Falling Skies that my 20 year old son had to catch up online and is now hooked! Way to bring the scifi genre to a hungry public! It is terrible to have to wait so long for the second season, though!

32. tammie says:

im so excited for the new season to come out this summer i wish i could see some sneak peeks this winter like one or two shows i hope their are more episodes in summer of 2012 i hope you will let us know when youre back on though email thanks for all your hard work.

33. Lynn Patten says:

I was disappointed that the invasion wasn’t part of the series but look forward to the seeing the rest of the series in 2012.

34. Lauren Cambra says:

Love the show but won’t be waiting for a year to see season two. By then to many other new shows will be out that will catch my interest.