Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Parenthood Boss Bringing Back Jason Ritter… And Giving Him His Own Show!

When finding out all the details of this story, I kept thinking, “It can’t get any better!” And then it just kept getting better.

Not only is Parenthood bringing back one of my FAEs (Favorite Actors Ever), Jason Ritter, for multiple episodes, but NBC’s production arm, Universal Media Studios, has also signed him to a development deal to star in a new series from — wait for it! — Parenthood and Friday Night Lights boss Jason Katims!

Parenthood Season 3 Scoop: Are [Spoiler] and [Spoiler] Breaking Up?!

Details on the new project are being kept under wraps, but an insider confirms that it will be — no surprise — an hour-long drama. And if it’s anything like FNL and Parenthood, I’ll be crying my eyes out by the end of every episode.

It’s unclear how this news will impact UMS’ efforts to find a new home for Ritter’s’ cancelled NBC thriller The Event. There was talk of it possibly continuing in miniseries form Syfy, but that appears to be a long-shot at this point.

On Parenthood, Ritter will reprise his role as Mark, the on-again/off-again love interest of Lauren Graham’s Sarah. He’s expected to resurface early into the show’s third season, which kicks off on Tuesday, Sept. 13.

So, thoughts? Or are you beyond words?

For Scoop and Spoilers 24/6, Follow Me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (59)

• Elated. Love him and love him and LG together.

Comment by LB – July 7, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jason Ritter is a great actor. In some ways he reminds me so much of his later father, John Ritter – such a joy to watch. John Ritter is mostly known for his role as Jack on Three’s Company – but when he did those serious (dramatic) roles – wow! I’ve enjoyed watching Jason Ritter develop his character and I think teaming up with Jason Katims is beyond brilliant. I’m a huge fan of FNL and Parenthood and just know it will be a home run program. THE EVENT cancellation was not Ritter’s fault. That show was just not on the right network. I think it would have been better served on SyFy.

Comment by TVsBucketofBolt – July 7, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!

Comment by Abby – July 7, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for him. He was one of the very few things I liked about The Event.

Comment by Dean – July 7, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ecstatic for Jason Ritter! But I also love him with Lauren Graham on Parenthood so while I’m thankful his character will be back I don’t want that relationship (no matter what it ends up being) to end either.

Comment by SS – July 7, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hopeful that Ritter returns as a supportive friend (not recurring love interest) and as a teacher. We see so little about the children in relation to school (except for dropping off and picking up the younglings), and that is a major part of their lives.
    While I truly enjoy Parenthood, I am skeptical about Ritter being the lead of a show. I think he hasn’t quite found his stride yet (that may all just be direction, however).

Comment by Timothy McNeil – July 7, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, NBC really, really really loves this guy. And so do I. So glad he’s coming back to Parenthood, and super excited for what ever this new show of his will be.

Comment by Alex – July 7, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I’d love to see him become a permanent fixture on Parenthood, though.

Comment by Holly – July 7, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love him! I started watching The Event because he was in it, but I lost interest. I’m glad he’ll be coming back to Parenthood. :)

Comment by Melanie – July 7, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could have written that comment. Same for me!

Comment by Christine – July 7, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Count me as another who could have written this. I tried so hard to like The Event for his sake… and was bummed knowing that so long as there was The Event, there would be no Mark Cyr. SO pumped he’s back. I’m a sucker for English teacher types….

Comment by Marta – July 7, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But, but . . . I want this for Jason – AFTER PARENTHOOD is over (like, in nine years or so because that’s how long I want this show to be on). I adore the character of Mark Cyr more than anything! I would be devastated if he only showed up on PARENTHOOD for a few more epis. I want him to be a part of the cast and permanently playing opposite the amazing Lauren Graham. Their chemistry is amazing.

Comment by Elizabeth – July 7, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Lauren Graham and Jason Ritter together on Parenthood. Man, it looks like they’re only bringing him back to be written off again very soon.
    Puts a damper on my mood from yesterday’s great news of Jason returning to Parenthood.

I just… I want Mark to stay with Sarah *pout*

Comment by Kathrin – July 7, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, it’s kind of very rough for the character of Sarah that she keeps having guys float in and out of her life. :( I was hoping Mr. Cyr could be around for at least a bit of a haul for her. They are great together and his character is so good for her character.

Comment by Elizabeth – July 7, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE him with Lauren!!! Happy :D

Comment by Hannah – July 7, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s good stuff! I’d hope he’d stick around for a while.

Comment by Justin – July 7, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jason and am glad for him. I have to admit though that I’m even happier that another Jason Katims show will be coming to tv.

Comment by Kelly – July 7, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I really like Jason Ritter and look forward to seeing him in a new Katims creation.

Comment by tvfan – July 7, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same – great news on all fronts!

Comment by Nicole – July 8, 2011 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    this is AWESOME news!

Comment by Amy Willis – July 7, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO happy!!! i think i might cry.

Comment by jen – July 7, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Jason Ritter, but I love him more in comedy. I think he does drama well, but I thought he was hilarious in “The Class.” I hope this new drama will capture this.

Comment by Kaycee – July 7, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was thinking, too. :)

Comment by Sarah – July 7, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • have you people gone mad? Jason Ritter is one of the worst actors of all time. He was terrible on The Event!

Comment by Steve – July 7, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everything on The Event was terrible, you can hardly blame him!

Comment by Andrew – July 7, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. This guy is a horrible actor.

Comment by Billie – July 7, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope he finally gets a show someone will keep! He’s amazing and I love watching him.

Comment by Rachel – July 7, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome – he was fantastic in ‘Parenthood’ and wasted in ‘The Event’.

Comment by Margaret – July 7, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s great he’s back on Parenthood and getting his own show, I just wish after watching The Event for a whole season, even though it wasn’t that great, they could do a finale and resolve some issues left open, this is why I am not going to watch any new shows, they rope you and cancel them.

Comment by Mary – July 7, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME!! but really wish The Event would continue.
    Love love love Parenthood.

Comment by 2milehighmama – July 7, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best thign that could’ve ever happened is Jason Ritter being back on Parenthood…

he and lauren have such a great chemistry!!

Comment by l – July 7, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Sarah and Mr. Cyr together. They have an amazing chemistry. I want them to have a serious relationship. Jason Ritter has to stay!

Comment by Linka – July 7, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Papa John would be proud !! Loved him on the Event, but adore Parenthood.

Comment by Ladydesertrat – July 7, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news! I’ve loved Jason since Joan of Arcadia and thought him & Lauren had awesome chemistry on Parenthood. Even better news is Jason Katims working on a new show with Jason as the star. I honestly believe that Jason creates the best shows seen on TV. They all have this wonderfully authentic feel that can’t be beat by other shows. Having another Katims’ show on TV is excellent news, only improved by the fact that Jason will star!!

Comment by Lauren – July 7, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just glad there’s gonna be another Jason Katim show! Friday Night Lights and Parenthood are two of my favorite shows. I hope the next one will be just as great.

Comment by Thomas – July 7, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Jason Katims shows since Roswell. Yay another show and Jason Ritter is great. I do think he can carry a show.

Comment by Mick – July 7, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same! “Roswell” was my show back in the day! lol And I loved FNL and love Parenthood. And I love Jason Ritter too, so great news all around! =)

Comment by Brittany – July 7, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Having never seen Friday Night Lights or Parenthood, I was thinking that I was completely in the dark of this praised genius Jason Katims. Thank you for letting me know he worked on Roswell, which I greatly enjoyed. Knowing that he is behind these two shows may just get me to put them on my Netflix list.

Comment by Melody – July 7, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jason Katims has also been produced and written on My So Called Life and Relativity – Both fantastic.

Comment by Karen – July 7, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um… YES!!! He is so great on Parenthood. I love watching his scenes with Lauren, they have such a wonderful and natural chemistry. He made such an impression on me in the little time he was on it. I kinda wish they could keep him on more permanent basis, but I’m just so glad he’ll be back. And a new show by Jason Katims?!? This is a good day. ;)

Comment by Claire – July 7, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch Parenthood, but I’m glad he’ll get his own show. I found him so charismatic on The Event…I can’t wait to see him in something else!

Comment by Ruby – July 7, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you like him, you owe it to yourself to watch his work on Parenthood. As mentioned numerous times, his and Lauren Graham’s chemistry in the show is delightful. You are missing out on one of network TVs best scripted shows in years.

Comment by Frederick Rogers – July 7, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s great news. He deserves a good vehicle and Jason Katims has had a great track record.

Comment by DryedMangoez – July 7, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is the BEST news I’ve had today. Whoohoo! Love jason ritter especially his chemistry with Lauren Graham!!!!!!

Comment by talismangirl – July 7, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To those people who said Jason Ritter is a horrible actor: what are you smoking? He’s a wonderful actor. I love Jason and I love that Ausiello loves him, too! :)

Comment by Lauren – July 7, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to read about this. Jason Ritter is a talented actor and deserves a better show than The Event. I certainly can’t wait to see him back on Parenthood and am definitely looking forward to his new show. Here’s an idea for casting directors: why not pair him up with the adorable Caroline Dhavernas? These two would make a really cute screen couple IMHO.

Comment by Romain – July 7, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love The Event and am still hoping it will find a home somewhere, but frankly Ritter’s part was not the most interesting. The White House aspect – Zeljko Ivanek, Ian Anthony Dale, Blair Underwood – should have always been the central story. It was riveting!

Comment by Elsie M – July 7, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s a very attractive guy with some pretty decent acting chops but there’s something more about him that makes him so utterly appealing. I love seeing him on screen in whatever capacity.

Comment by Michael – July 7, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love that he will be back.. would love for him and Sarah to have a real relationship on the show.. been a fan of his since Joan of Arcadia. And of his father’s since forever. Wish him great success.

Comment by kari – July 7, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me, he is the actor that ruined every scene he was in in The Event. That would be great if he would go back on Parenthood, because he sure wasn’t bringin’ his acting “chops” to The Event, and maybe it will get picked up by cable without him. I’m sure he’s a nice guy and loved his dad, but he was way out of his league on The Event.

Comment by tlynn – July 7, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have so many thoughts!!
    First: I am so truly elated over this news!! Yet so TORN! Jason Ritter/Mr. Cyr is just amazing with Sarah!! What chemistry!! I want him to stick around on Parenthood for as long as possible. Maybe he’ll get to at least get most of the season on this show before heading off to the new one. And have great closure… if he HAS to leave.
    Second: I’m torn because I want him to stay on P’hood forever, but Jason Katims is amazing. And I trust that he will create an amazing vehicle for Jason Ritter. I just started Roswell and was absolutely hooked by the end of the pilot episode.
    …Now I’m going to go watch some more Roswell… and maybe start Joan of Arcadia after that to have a new Jason Ritter show ;)

Comment by Saracen Riggins – July 7, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was completely unfamiliar with him until I saw The Event, and although the show sucked, I still fell completely in love with this guy and I’m very excited to hear about anything else he is doing. Congrats to Jason and to all of us.

Comment by Melody – July 7, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big fan of Jason. Love him on Parenthood and some of his independent films so happy to see him with a new project.

Comment by Dean – July 7, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it love it, cant wait for the 3rd season.Parenthood rocks :-)

Comment by Mari – July 7, 2011 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE HIM.

Comment by Allison – July 7, 2011 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah!!!

Comment by MadMax – July 8, 2011 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jason Ritter! I’m so happy that he’s going to be back on Parenthood (love that show) and that he’s going to get his own show, too!

Comment by Janna Lee Orant – July 8, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just remember, Mikey, that JK also did Roswell and after a brilliant first season [possibly the best single first season of a primetime drama, ever], ripped it apart and stomped on the wreckage for two seasons before Ronald D. Moore came along and made it respectable again.

Sure, it seems like he learned his lesson from that debacle, but you never know when someone is going to relapse…

Even the combined brilliance of his most recent works can completely overcome the tarnish that Roswell left behind.

Comment by Sheldon W. – July 11, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That should be ‘…can’t completely overcome the tarnish that roswell left behind.’

Comment by Sheldon W – July 11, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post