Ultimate Glee Moment (Day 7): 'Born This Way' Vs. 'To Sir'! 'Faithfully' Vs. 'Pretending'!

We’re only two days away from kicking off Round 2 of TVLine.com’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves, as there are still eight brutal Round 1 showdowns that need to get underway!

Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

Today, you’ll have to make a tough call between two classic Finchel duets, and choose between a pair of Wicked good Broadway vets — Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth. No, Gleeks, it won’t be easy whittling away our field of 64 down to 32, but alas that’s the first step toward settling the debate over which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you mentally humming your favorite Glee moments and anxiously wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ‘em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Comments (65)

• Gaga strikes again. Born this way was a powerful moment in season two but To Sir With Love was a beautiful touchstone at the end of season 1. I’m sad to see it not doing well and I hope that will turn around as the voting continues. I listen to it all time.

Comment by Carolyn – July 6, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. “To Sir With Love” was a beautiful number…simple, yet extremely effective.

Comment by Kyle – July 6, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To Sir With Love makes me cry every time!

Comment by Marina – July 6, 2011 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Definitely agree. I knew when I was voting Born This Way would be winning. To Sir With Love was a lot better, IMO. Every time they go around saying something to Mr Shue I start crying. “Glee club will never end, Mr Schue.”

Comment by Lauren – July 6, 2011 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agreed. I liked Born This Way, but To Sir With Love was so emotional. I think it tied up the commitment to the club with that number for an entire season. I will admit it was a tough call, but I do wish To Sir With Love would win, but I doubt it.

Comment by Mark S – July 7, 2011 04:48 AM PDT
    • I couldn’t choose between the two on my own, but then I read your comments, Carolyn and Kyle, and I voted for To Sir, With Love. I loved them both, but you guys are right: To Sir was immensely more moving. :) Thank you for helping me make a decision about that.

Comment by Rebecca Ripple – July 7, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, last poll is so difficult :| I cannot vote. I love both duets. :|
    The other polls were very easy: Born This Way, Somebody to Love and I Dreamed a Dream.

Comment by Diogo – July 6, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sir with Love should beat Born this Way. It was such an emotional scene in the first season. Everyone was crying about the end of the glee club. While Born this Way wasn’t a great cover. Of course Faithfully solidified my love for Finn and Rachel.

Comment by Paris – July 6, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He originally had Born this Way against Poker Face then changed it! Lame.

Comment by Stephanie – July 6, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course no one picks One Less Bell. Gotta choose the paint-by-numbers rendition of I Dreamed a Dream (even though I love Idina). Gleeks, your “taste” astounds me.

Comment by Travis – July 6, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I adore One Less Bell, though I did pick I Dreamed A Dream. I just like it better, but both are fantastic.

Comment by Amy – July 6, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dreamed a dream was a poignant moment for Rachel and her mom, plus I love, love, love Idina and her role on this show was awesome. So I chose it. Kirsten Chenowith, who I also beyond adore, had much better moments and songs on Glee that I would vote for.

Comment by Mandy – July 6, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I Dreamed a Dream is from my all-time favourite musical, and is one of my favourite songs from Les Mis, and was in an episode directed by Joss Whedon, who is pretty much my God, so it is not possible for me to vote for something else. I adore House is not a Home/One Less Bell to Answer and it probably would have won over all the others, except Somebody to Love, but no way it’s better than I Dreamed A Dream.

Comment by Lauren – July 7, 2011 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somebody to Love should be in the Top 4 songs easily. It is my favorite aside from Don’t Stop and Defying Gravity. Faithfully was also an easy choice. To Sir should beat Born This Way. Just because it is Gaga doesn’t mean it shouldn’t win.

Comment by Amy – July 6, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! To Sir With Love was an amazing performance. LOVED it.

Comment by BabyBird – July 6, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t agree more! People probably only voted for Born this Way because its a Gaga song. If they really actually know Glee then they would know that To Sir With Love was so powerful and had so much emotion! They can’t even compare…

Comment by Marina – July 6, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s really cruel, putting I Dreamed A Dream and One Less Bell To Answer/A House Is Not A Home vs each other. I love them both! That’s just so cruel!

Comment by Leah – July 6, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hah – other than the last one, all of my favourites are the underdogs!

Comment by BabyBird – July 6, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To Sir With Love makes me cry every time I hear it. Born This Way was just average and it makes me sad that it’s going to win.

Comment by Lana – July 6, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t agree more!

Comment by to sir – July 7, 2011 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Born This Way & JTWYA easily (wouldn’t been harder if it was the Bieber song it was up against). IDAD just wins for me, and then I’ve never really got Faithfully (same with this version of Somebody To Love), but I LOVE Pretending.

Comment by Jack S – July 6, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this tells me all i need to know about your “taste”. smh seriously born this way?! a generic cover. just the way you are- an autotuned finn mess. Pretending will never reach the heights of faithfully.

Comment by Lily – July 6, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • considering the whole thing is about favourite Glee moments & not necessarily just the song, I can see why “just the way you are” was chosen, even I chose it, because that was an awesome moment.

Comment by Daryl – July 6, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree for performance value somebody to love was just awesome and uplifting with the whole cast singing while the performance of just the way you are was pretty boring. I was pretty annoyed with the lyrics. Finn is singing to Kurt and the glee producers could not change she to he. They had no problem doing that to Forget you

Comment by Lily – July 6, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, thats because Finn was singing to Rachel, his mom, and Kurt. So, they didn’t change the words.

Comment by Yale – July 6, 2011 04:12 PM PDT
  • I think it’s sad that Born This Way is winning.

Comment by ErixN – July 6, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. To Sir With Love is such a great song anyway and the cast put so much emotion into it. Maybe all the Gaga Gleeks should watch the movie To Sir With Love to understand why it is such a poignant song and why it fit so well into that episode.

Comment by Deena – July 6, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I picked the loser on every single one of these. Everyone is voting for the more popular song instead of what was more emotional and meaningful for the show. Sad.

Comment by Potch – July 6, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely voted for To Sir With Love. I didn’t hate Born This Way, but I didn’t love it and To Sir With Love was beautiful. I think it’s sad that just cause it’s Gaga it’s going to win.

Comment by Mel – July 6, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you seriously asking me to choose between the two Finchel finale duets?! *brain explodes*

Comment by Quinn – July 6, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly!
      they are both so amazing!

Comment by Kelly – July 6, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I seriously supposed to choose between Faithfully and Pretending?! Seriously!?!?

Comment by Stephanie – July 6, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EVERYTHING I voted for has lost!

Comment by Davers – July 6, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that just means you have taste. it’s not over yet, though. to sir should be getting more love…

Comment by Dee – July 7, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Less Bell To Answer and To Sir With Love get my votes! Not easily with KCheno vs Idina because both are fantastic, but very east with Season 2 vs Season 1, To Sir with love was possibly my favorite in that finale!

Comment by Katw – July 6, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Which Somebody to Love are we talking about? Justin Bieber or Queen? I’m calling a revote on that one once we clarify!

Comment by Ryan – July 6, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Judging from the picture above and in the bracket, I believe it’s the Queen cover. If not, I definitely want a revote!

Comment by Lina – July 6, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • After voting this thought occurred to me too! I adored the Queen one – hated the Bieber!!

Comment by Cate – July 6, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember the episode that “One less bell to answer….” was on and I absolutely HATED it, but strangely enough I have now grown to completely LOVE it!

Comment by Adam – July 6, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Putting “Born This Way” against “To Sir With Love” is just mean. The latter was such a touching tribute and deserves to win.

Comment by Lisa – July 6, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To Sir With Love is so emotional and sweet. I’m definitely disappointed that Born This Way is winning.

Comment by Mary – July 6, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Picking between Faithfully and Pretending is just mean

Comment by Julie – July 6, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, since I didn’t like Pretending at all that one was a pretty easy choice.

Comment by AmyLeigh – July 6, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am with the folks on the fact that To Sir With Love was an amazing number. I love the Beatles. Although I Want To Hold Your Hand is not a favorite Beatles song of mine, the way it was performed on Glee was just amazing. If it had been performed the same way on American Idol it would have received a standing ovation from the Judges. I also loved Pure Imagination this season. They put the magic right back into that song.

Comment by Dan – July 6, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could “Born this way” and “To sir, with love” be put against each other. They’re my favorite songs, so tragic.

Comment by Veronica – July 6, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am GUTTED that “I Dreamed a Dream” and “One Less Bell” are going against each other. I don’t know which one to choose! Also gutted that “To Sir With Love” is losing, although I expected it would.

Comment by Tessa – July 6, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One Less Bell to Answer/A House is Not a Home is my absolute favorite song Glee has done. The aching in Kristen Chenoweth’s voice as she sings is palpable . I am bummed that I Dreamed a Dream (which I love, just not as much) is winning.

Comment by emmitwest – July 6, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee should do Christina Aguilera’s ‘Beautiful’ or ‘Fighter’… Or both.

Comment by Miranda – July 6, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mercedes did do a cover of “Beautiful” when she was on the Cheerios.

Comment by Amanda – July 6, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somebody to love… is it the beiber or queen version?!

Comment by Ana – July 6, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhh Finchel vs Finchel! Impossible choice is impossible!

Comment by Nicole – July 6, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINCHEL DUETS. I HAVE TO CHOOSE?! It’s my own Sophie’s Choice! I CAN’T choose! They both are wonderful in their own right and very poignant for them at those times in their situations. UGHHHHHHHHHHH.

Comment by Amy – July 6, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so hard to choose the finn/rachel duet because “faithfully” was perfection and beautiful in every single way and it also made me fall in love with finchel, but “pretending” is THEIR song. the song he wrote for her and it’s just so special because it’s their own.

Comment by Linsey – July 6, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I found that too! I can’t believe they put them against them. Pretending though I do think lacked the emotion that faithfully had so that gave it this tiny little edge that made me vote for it :)

Comment by Kayly – July 10, 2011 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • b***** don’t make me choose. I mean seriously. I CANT CHOOSE BETWEEN THE TWO EPIC DUETS. ITS LIKE THE SAME CHOICE. OR CHOOSING BETWEEN OTPS. NOT POSSIBLE.

Comment by pri – July 6, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EXCUSE ME! You expect me to choose between Faithfully and Pretending? That is just NOT ok.

Sincerely,
    A Finchel fan (who cant decide)

Comment by Kailyn – July 6, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see a pattern. When I don’t know a song, I tend to never vote for a song where Finn sings a huge part of it. I seriously cannot stand Finn’s voice, and I don’t care for his acting either – personally, I think he has by far the worst male vocal (except for Mike Chang lol). =p

I’m an Artie fan. Sad that “Dancing With Myself” lost. His voice sounds so cool on it. Probably in my top 5 list.

Comment by Vetle – July 6, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely a case of mileage varying. In my view, Cory Montieth is one of the best and most underrated actors on this show. I personally love his singing–it just keeps getting better and better.

I also agree that To Sir with love was a beautiful song and should definitely beat Born this way.

Comment by Cory Monteith Fan – July 6, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah so Cory might not have the best voice on the show (definitely not deserving of all the songs that he gets) but I have to say, of all of the male actors (besides Chris Colfer) he is the best.

Comment by Jessica – July 8, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that “Somebody to Love” and “Just the Way You Are” are up against each other…those are two of my favorite performances of the show!

Comment by Jennifer – July 6, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so heartbroken that To Sir With Love is going to lose- I thought Born This Way was overrated and hate that it’s eliminating To Sir so prematurely

Comment by Katie – July 7, 2011 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. There was so much real emotion put into to sir with love and it’s only losing because it’s going against gaga. It’s my favorite glee song of all time and I’m sad to see it get eliminated in the first round.

Comment by Veronica – July 7, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Born this way was just epicness!!! I loved every single detail of the song- vocals, perfomance the dance all of it. And Kurt sung that song amazing and he look super hot in the film clip just saying!
    Somebody to love is what I call shocking just cause its soooo good, I annoy my friend soo much cause I am always playing it, I dont like that they put it against just the way you are though cause I really enjoyed glee version of it ( hate Bruno mars version, no offence) but I had to go with STL just cause it fantastic the clip and the song.
    I dreamed a dream just cause i didnt really like OLBTA/AHINAH so i dont really care for either of those songs

kk this was hard Faithfully I feel had more power and emotion in it than pretending but Pretending was brillant storyline for Rachael and Finn’s characters and the kiss was so romantic and gave the song a little emotion but Faithfully has just a little more edge and I really hope it goes all the way, the Journey medley was the best competition performance’s they have ever done :)

Comment by Kayly – July 10, 2011 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Faithfully, To Sir With Love, and House is Not A Home, solidified my LOVE for gLee and made me a FAN! I’ve never cried more over a tv show, as I did over those three songs!! I miss those moments from season 1!!

Comment by Shay – July 11, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post