Parenthood Spoilers: Romance Drama, Baby Twists and a Surprising Alliance in Season 3

NBC announced early Wednesday that Parenthood will return on Sept. 13, but the show’s writers are already hard at work on Season 3. Fresh casting buzz points to — what else? — more Braverman family drama! Here are five spoilers we gleaned from the new casting intel.

Crosby and Jasmine are still on the outs… we think | Although the couple appeared to be on the verge of a reconciliation in last season’s finale, the introduction of a new short-term lust interest for Crosby suggests he may be back on the market. An NBC insider, meanwhile, confirms that Jasmine’s portrayer, Joy Bryant, will be back as a series regular, so maybe they decided to open their relationship up?

Amber leaves the nest! | TV’s most believable mother/daughter duo is breaking up. Although she didn’t get into a university, Amber decides to move out on her own anyway, which leaves Sarah distraught on the eve of her 40th birthday.

Julia’s second bundle of joy may be closer than she thinks | Like at the office close. The desperate-to-adopt Julia will discover that the young coffee cart girl at her office building is planning to give up her baby for adoption. A cup of jo and a baby? Best coffee cart ever!

Adam and Crosby in business together? | Adam will consider joining his bro’s new business venture, which involves renovating an old recording studio. Sounds like a disaster to us.

Trouble in paradise for Haddie and Alex? | One of Haddie’s new best friends — concerned that Haddie’s romance with her recovering alcoholic boyfriend is holding her back from fully enjoying her final year of high school — encourages her to let her hair down and partay. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out where this is headed.

What do you think of these new developments? What storyline has you most excited? Hit the comments!

1. J.Norman says:

As I stated at the end of the season, I don’t think the show should continue the relationship between Crosby and Jasmine. They are not well suited together. Forget the interracial aspect of it, that’s not the problem. The problem is that she is a type A personality and he is a type B.
    On some level both of them realize it, but then they think about Jabbar. Wrong approach to take. They can both be parents to Jabbar and he will be fine. Crosby, in particular, is simply in love with being a father. That does not automatically extend to Jasmine.
    Gabby is a much, much better match for Crosby. There are better matches for Jasmine out there also.

• Gretchen says:

Unfortunately, Gabby’s portrayer (Minka Kelly) has a show that was picked up for the fall (Charlie’s Angels), so it is unlikely she’d be able to come back for any meaningful relationship with Crosby.

• Maria says:

Crosby/Jabbar/ Jasmine are the reason i look at this show. 80% of their relationship is great they just need to work on that 20 %. IMO they are very well suited together, their personalities are not that different.I don’t see a personality issue, it’s more like there is room for growth. Jasmine grew up in a single parent household with a strong mother and has a hard time surrendering control, Crosby was spoiled and does not always take control. Comparing Jasmine with Gaby is unfair, there’s no basis for comparison. Jasmine is a mother with a baby daddy, a future to plan/secure for herself and her son; obviously she will make demands on Crosby that a free-single-ready to-mingle woman will not. She has had to take a more serious approach to life. For this reason she comes across as harsh on poor wittle sweetie Crosby. I am sure at one time she was a party girl, living on edge…which is why she ended up with Jabbar. Gaby can flirt with and stroke Crosby’s ego 24/7, no demands there, no investment there. Homewrecker! thy name is Gaby.
      I am surprised that people still think that Crosby is only in love with Jabbar, PH has taken pains to show that Crosby wants Jasmine and loves her. Why is it so hard to believe that? Crosby has never been ambivalent about his feelings for Jasmine…in the last epi he reiterated that he will always love her. But i will still ask, what’s wrong with loving his son’s mom?
      That said, i am hoping that these two reconcile. I think it will be really interesting to see how Crosby negotiates a new relationship knowing that he still has feelings for Jasmine, and has to co-parent with her. He did say that she was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, and he told Joel in he last epi that he loved her. So, i predict that another woman will have a challenge getting Crosby’s undivided attention. If PH is faithful to the writing, i expect that Jasmine and Crosby will slowly make their way back to each other.

• Kimla Soriano says:

i love the show…love your comment….i totally agree! here’s hoping for a reconciliation for Jaz & Cros! :)

• cindy says:

kudos! couldn’t have said it better!

• Rogue says:

Sooooo agree!!

• Cynthia says:

I agree, Crosby and Jasmine and Jabbar are very much a part of why I watch this show although everything from the parents relationship to Amber and Sarah and all in between is truly wonderful about this show! Writers and actors, take a bow! You all rock!

• pat says:

100% agree with you, Maria. Also, not surprised that Amber is moving out. What about Sarah’s playwriting?

• Andrea says:

I can’t stand immature Crosby. Jasmine can do so much better. With him around, it’s like she is playing the mommy to two little boys.

• Monica says:

I agree! I love Crosby and gabby. Jasmine is controlling and annoying.

• Mark says:

Crosby should hook up with his brother’s son’s personal therapist. It’s not about a or b personalities, it’s about a good story line for the show.

2. Anne says:

I like Parenthood enough but sometimes the writers really don’t think. Julia just happens to overhear someone she works with giving up her baby? So cheesy and unbelievable. Adam and Crosby working together? Also cheesy. Amber moving out? Uh, how is that even possible? Where did she get money for that?

• Corrie says:

Cheesy compared to what? Other tv shows? Ummm, NO.

• flutiefan says:

Anne is not wrong.

• Corrie says:

Really? Because these spoilers are from sides (in other words – incomplete scenes), and we haven’t even seen how it plays out quite yet. Adam will obviously be out of sorts being out of work, he definitely has a type A personality that would make it in character that he would be looking for something to poke his nose in. In the sides, Crosby is having trouble with the recording studio and Adam (who has a lot of business experience) is a plausible choice to help him out. Amber is 18 and moves out after high school graduation. As do tons of independent-minded kids when they turn 18 (which certainly fits Amber). She is not an adult that has had years of bills and debt and loans (as Sarah would). She is not responsible for feeding, clothing anyone else – no children. She can roommates and a cheap apartment and live on ramen noodles as 18 year olds are prone to do when they want independence. The Julia situation wasn’t played out enough yet in the sides to know how it’s going to play out yet. It’s “cheesy” to use the word cheesy so much in a post anyhow.

• flutiefan says:

wow, methinks someone has too much time on their hands. i believe that the storylines as they have been described so far sound cheesy. god bless America, where we’re allowed to have opinions. sheesh.

• Corrie says:

Are you being serious? LOL – it took two minutes to write that. And way to give them a chance before the season’s started. Very quick to judge? Looks like. And nice pulling “America” out. Haha, ummm because that would mean I can have an opinion too? I’m still laughing at the time on my hands thing, though – do you really think that took time? LOLOLOL

• flutiefan says:

i am glad such simple things amuse you, Corrie.

• Corrie says:

Yay, you found your “shift” key! Congrats!!

• Mark says:

This show and the writing is great. The characters are great. Everyone has their favorite characters. Leave it up to the writers.

• Anne says:

I don’t really care how it “plays out” because the whole storyline of how someone working with Julia just happens to be giving up a kid is so convenient and yes, cheesy. And making a serious, uptight character like Adam working with a crazy, immature character like Crosby is such a sitcom thing to do. These are just my opinions.

• Lise says:

Anne, I have to know (just curious). . .have you read the sides from the first two episodes? I know tvline tried to summarize them in this article, but I can tell you that they didn’t do a very good job. I’ve read them, and this article kind of plays heavily to things that are alluded to, as opposed to be finalized on the show.

• Trish says:

Ummm, real life can be a little cheesy and unbelievable too. I have a friend who was introduced to the woman whose baby she adopted by another woman who knew them both and happened to find out the baby would be put up for adoption. So, I think with Parenthood they do a good job of taking those kinds of moments and making seem real and touching, with all the funny and sad moments we find in real life.

• Kara says:

I have an aunt who met a woman at Dairy Queen, who planned on giving up her baby for adoption. She told my other aunt, whom was looking to adopt, and that is how it happened for her!

• Kristina says:

It IS totally possible. It’s not like giving up a child for adoption is considered a big secret to SOME people. I gave up a child for adoption 21 years ago. Some people hated me for it and said I wa s a monster. Some people supported me and my choice; at least I didn’t have an abortion. I think this is an awesome storyline, with the exception that I hate the fact that rich folks that can buy their kids, instead of having to go through the motions of waiting in line like other normal people.

3. Lisa says:

I completely disagree about the first comment re: Crosby/Jasmine. I think they compliment each other perfectly. She brings some responsibility to him and he brings some fun to her. They’re a perfect yin and yang and I do hope they work it out and become a complete family. If I know this show, that won’t happen for awhile though. I do want Haddie/Alex to end though. I’d like to see more story lines with Drew. A guy his age has much to discuss… and would love to see Jason Ritter back.

• Ella says:

I agree that Crosby/Jasmine are a great couple. He really changed when he fell in love with her and I hope they get back together. I am a bit over Amber being such a selfish brat and wouldn’t mind seeing more story lines revolving Drew. Especially when the last season focused more on Haddie and Amber. I wouldn;t mind Haddie/Alex ending things…everytime I see him I think of his character on Friday Night Lights. BUT Bring back Jason Ritter, hes a babe!

• Lise says:

He is returning! At least according to the sides. Somehow it escaped the lovelies her at tvline lol.

• Lise says:

Ooops – I met here. But Mark Cyr is in the sides, so I was hoping when tvline posted an article about the spoilers they would mention that. CANNOT believe they didn’t!!!

4. Francesco Cerniglia says:

What about Drew? Miles Heizer is such a talented young actor who needs to shine and so far it seems the writers have kept his character’s storylines to the margins. I want more Miles!

• Lisa says:

We did get to see Drew shine in the John Corbett episodes but he really needs more controversy, more emotions. He’s a great actor. To be fair, the show has a ton of wonderful actors, all with equal stories and no way to accomplish getting each actor in each week. Some weeks one or two actors are out completely. Max and Amber are the most talented of the cast IMO.

5. Lise says:

Are you seriously leaving out the biggest news?! Jason Ritter is playing Mr. Cyr again! Sometimes I’m positive no one at tvline even bothers watching this show — this is the news most of us have been waiting for. Sarah + Mr. Cyr for the win! Tvline for the fail.

6. Linderella says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I do not like Mr. Cyr with Sarah even though I adore Jason Ritter and Lauren Graham. And I’m not crazy about Jasmine and Crosby together either. I agree with the poster who said that Crosby is in love with being father and the idea of having a family is very appealing to him. Jasmine is just not the right fit – she’s a total control freak and he is uber laid back. But I also think that is upsetting Crosby’s apple cart is that he is just not used to not getting what he wants and Jasmine is standing in the way of that. Season 3 promises to be full of twists and turns. I can’t wait!

• Corrie says:

Yep, you’re definitely in the minority concerning Mr. Cyr and Sarah!!! Thank goodness. *phew* ‘Cause that’s just crazy talk.

• Batsheva says:

What people like you and the first poster don’t get is that A/B type couples like Crosby and Jasmine can work wonderfully together. They balance each other out. He can teach her how to chill out and go with the flow, and she can teach him how to take charge and get organized. You actually see it happening on the show in tiny increments, which is one of the things I love about it. No, it’s not easy, and it doesn’t happen overnight, it happens over years, with a lot of commitment, but that’s what a marriage is all about. I totally hope Crosby cleans up his act and proves that he can be as good of a partner as he is a dad.

7. Alexis says:

Clearly NBC really loves Jason Ritter…giving him a guest spot on Parenthood, attempting to give him his own show (that failed) and now bringing him back. Remember when Sarah said to him that she’d rather start a relationship in two years when Amber was off at college/away? Looks like that might be now…

8. Kevin says:

Consider a POINT/COUNTERPOINT on PARENTHOOD Season 3 which will be hpoing for better season than the first two combined. The Crosby/Jasmine is still on the fence but there’s hope Crosby could end up being a ladies’ man and forget about the whole Gaby (Minka Kelly) thing but from Adam and Kristina, there MAYBE looking for Max’s new behavioral aide since Gaby quits but that storyline should definitely be in the works unless Jason Katims and his writing staff make up their minds. Julia consider to be like her inner Angelina Jolie. Also what about Sarah’s? She still be looking for a new boyfriend like Steven Weber or perhaps Scott Patterson reuniting with his GILMORE GIRLS co-star and I started to wonder if the Bravermans are expanding. Well only time will tell.

• Lise says:

Sarah’s old flame Mark Cyr is in (at least) the first two episodes (these are the only two with sides). TV line forgot about mentioning that(what???).

• Corrie says:

Minka Kelly will be nowhere in season three due to the fact she’s in the new Charlie’s Angles that got picked up.

9. TV Gord says:

The comments section is freaking me out. (Crazy internet people –Lauren Graham)

Just sit back and enjoy the coming season of great television. I love this show, and I plan to enjoy every moment NBC allows us to have! This series is too good for the kind of nitpicking I’m reading about here.

• Corrie says:

Well said. The first episode is weeks away from being shot. The actors probably haven’t even received the scripts yet themselves. People are so quick to judge/complain – it’s way too soon. The show is too good for that. : )

• Nicole says:

Agree completely. God, it’s a great show – can we just leave it at that? I can’t wait until it’s back!

10. John says:

Lol does Haddie even know what a party is?

11. Kary says:

I was happy to see Mark Cyr in the sides. I love him with Sarah. I hope the show won´t screw them up. They have a nice possibility to portray the age difference in the relationshop, I would like to see that.
    Julia is so not adopting that baby from the coffee cart girl. It will take longer than that.
    Is it September 13 yet?

12. Cari says:

Haddie’s character is one of the main reasons I stopped watching Parenthood. Every time she takes a step forward in maturity, she takes two back by acting like a spoiled brat (and it’s no surprise, considering her mom does the exact same thing). And I get it, that’s what teenagers do, and Haddie especially is one who’s easily swayed by peer pressure, but girls like her used to annoy me in high school too. At least Amber has showed character growth.

13. Meg says:

How come no one has mentioned Christina’s pregnancy!?!? That’s what I’m most looking forward to.– although, if Julia is going to be adopting, maybe Christina will have a miscarriage?

14. Jasmine says:

I totally agree with each of your excellent points. I agree, PARENTHOOD has shown how much Crosby loves Jasmine! He sold his boat & motorcycle to buy HER a nice home. He was so miserable without her, and that was some great acting! I could feel his pain & misery.

They need a lovely, loud and crazy wedding and reception. I do wish they would show how beautiful and sexy Joy Bryant is by letting Jasmine shine. I really like Minka Kelly and think Joy Bryant is just as beautiful. However, I didn’t like Gaby.

• Lee says:

I couldn’t agree more. I think they should elope.lol. ITA, Joy Bryant is too beautiful to not have Jasmine shine. She was great in ‘Love Bites’ – Smart and sexy.

• pat says:

totally agree about Joy. I just saw her in Honey (terrible movie) and she was looking fabulous. I think its her hair. Also, it is weird that there is no mention of Krisitna’s pregnancy. I am also sure they are going to show how Max does mainstreaming as well.

• Purple says:

I agree. The wardrobe and makeup department are not doing her any favors. Beautiful Joy Bryant always looks frumpy on Parenthood.

15. Maureen says:

Conflict creates plot. Resolution creates satisfaction. I’m looking forward to Sarah & Amber because the first kid moving out is a big rite of passage for parent & kid. It’s a great story to tell. I’d like to see Jasmine and Crosby figure out a way to work it out or to be honest with Jabbar and move on separately. Their plotline is getting tiresome and the continuous lying to their kid is making them both unsavory characters for me. Adoption usually takes a long time so I would rather not see the neat plot-in-a-box for Julia. Looking forward to seeing what the writers bring.

16. Britt says:

I just don’t like Jasmine. If she had talked to Crosby instead of ignoring him (first thing after their arguement) and taking Jabar and herself (On Jabars Birthday) to go see her aunt. And so yea, Crosby did react bad but it’s not his fault that Jasmine didn’t put in enough effort to try to make up before she left and before he had sex with someone else. It’s stupid that she would be so mad, but if she hadn’t left and took Jabar, and sat down with Crosby to make it work, then he wouldn’t have had sex. So I hope he finds someone that Jabar likes as a step mom and moves on, I don’t like seeing Jasmine anymore, cause she did change and she is rude.

• leila says:

@Britt, so Jasmine isn’t allowed to be imperfect? She isn’t allowed to be angry? And for all her imperfections does it make Crosby’s cheating OK? Is it really stupid that she would be mad that he cheated on her? Crosby has a problem, when things get too complicated he takes the easy way out. So my fiance and i had a fight and he didn’t feel like talking things out immediately…my response, because i didn’t get my way, is to sleep with the first person who tells me i’m beautiful? Crosby has a problem that has nothing to do with Jasmine. Jumping into another relationship is not the answer.

17. Christine Gordon says:

I have a son who has Aspergers. However, he has always been higher functioning than the character portrayed in Parenthood. This storyline is what brought me to view Parenthood from the beginning. My son is 17 now and through social skills and speech therapy, gluten-free diet (although, he outgrew that when he was 12), one can hardly tell he has it. In fact, he doesn’t want anyone to know that he has it. I would really love to see progression in Adam’s son as far as behaviors and becoming more mainstreamed into society. I know it’s not a show about autism spectrum disorders and treatment, but it would be helpful for other mothers out there to see how a family seeks treatment for their son as he changes with age. So far, it’s been awesome and in fact, Gabby used all of the same techniques that our son received at Max’s age. I’m very anxious to see what’s next for Max!

18. EllaC says:

Any way you slice it, Parenthood is one of the best dramas depicting a family on tv right now. As the mother of a strong willed, sometimes rebellious teen daughter, I love the chemistry between Amber and Sarah. No matter how bad it gets, in the end, Amber needs her Mom. I can’t wait until the new season starts!

19. Toni says:

Good writers~Good believable characters!! Funny/teary………keep up the good work!
    So so so glad you will be back this September!!

20. lmpc says:

keep Crosby & Jasmine together…add the human element of “forgiveness” and let us all enjoy seeing how this relationship developes and grows.

I disagree that they aren’t good for each other. I think Jasmine could be very good for Crosby and Crosby wants so much to be an excellent dad and family man. That in and of itself is enough to keep me interested.

21. Laura says:

Yay!! I’m so happy it is coming back! I look forward to it EVERY week!

22. Dina M says:

Just continue to keep it realistic. I LOVE this show so much!

23. Jeri says:

I trust the writers, actors and rest of production to keep up their excellent job.

I love this show and I’m not going to trash those that create it.

Thank you everyone in front and behind the scenes for doing such a outstanding job. It is appreciated!

24. Jasmine says:

I want more of Alex!! Haddie & Alex’s relationship is beautiful and would like to see it keep growing!! I think Amber moving out is going backwards, we all know her track record with making bad decisions so before we see her really mature i dont think the move is a good idea.

25. Robbin says:

Wow Corrie needs to get a life…chill out on the chat..
    FYI it’s just a show these people are actors and actresses ..repeat after me it’s just a show!

26. ailine kofeloa says:

i’m excited for the season to start up. i’m mostly excited to see what’s gonna happen w/haddie & alex? i’m also curious what’s up w/this new baby that’s going to arrive in Adam’s house? i’m excited to see what’s up w/hilarious Crosby & Jasmine. overall….just hurry sept. 13th & get here….do we have a time when it’s going to air?

27. Rachael Blandau says:

I want more story lines with drew. I like him as an actor

28. Daina says:

I reeeally don’t want Haddie & Alex to break up! They are too sweet together, and Michael B. Jordan is just absolutely fantastic all the time.

29. Gabby says:

I can deal with anything, just please do not withdraw Amber from the show!! Her character is faaar the best!
    I can’t wait for season 3 :))

30. deb says:

This is my favorite show. All of the characters are well developed and believable which is rare these days. My favorites are Amber and Sarah. I remember Mae Whitman from years ago when she played Christine Lahti’s little daughter on Chicago Hope and thought then that she was going to be a sensational actress. She is. I actually started watching the show because Bonnie Bedelia was in it but she has the smallest part. I wish they’d do more with her character and Craig T. Nelson’s. They are both veterans and great. Just because they are “older” doesn’t mean they can’t be interesting! I hope this show lasts many more years.

31. Joyce W says:

I love the show Parenthood!! I hope it continues for years and years. Just bought Season 1 on DVD and looking forward to Season 2 to be released shortly.
    Love the drama in each character’s life…..Craig T Nelson plays an awesome father/grandfather….and I love Lauren Graham!!!! (since Gilmore Girls was cancelled)….keep us in suspense each week…..hat’s off to the writers of this show!!!

32. Sabrina says:

Crosby and Jasmine – let it go. They don’t suit each other. Sarah and Mr. Cyr- OMG yes!!!! Have been waiting for that one….

• Jamie says:

So what if people like or want Crosby and Jasmine together? Joel and Julia are not that well suited, but i enjoy looking at how they work things out. Sarah and Mr. Cyr? i don’t see the big deal, but i wouldn’t ask another fan to let them go! You don’t have to like all the characters on a show.

33. Purple says:

Jasmine deserves better. Although I am rooting for Jasmine and Crosby, I wouldn’t mind seeing Jasmine dating someone else like Lenny Kravitz or Adam Rodriguez. It would be interesting to see Crosby having to deal with Jasmine dating someone else. They are going to end up being the break up to make up couple of Parenthood.

No mention of Christina’s baby leads me to believe that she might suffer a miscarriage.

34. marcia says:

its good! but im dont want anyone to give away anything, but will there be any dramas again with Zeek and Camille? there has to be right? i mean yeh. sorry that was a silly question. I CANT WAIT TILL PARANTHOOD STARTS AGAIN!! LOVE YA BRAVERMANS!!!

35. Matilde says:

I love Parenthood no matter what!! I think all storylines are believable and possible, each one having their own troubles and dreams.
    My favourite ones? Julia and Joel, and their lovely relationship, even with their difficulties to conceive. Alex and Christina, thier teenage daughter and autistc son, so close to many families´reality, and a baby on the way.
    Great, great show!! Looking forward to the 3rd season!!

36. Michelle O'neal says:

I love Parenthood havent seen it advertised to be comning back. I am exciting for Sept 15 when it will be back via internet, that is where i seen it returning.Love the action with Jasmin and Crosby, I think they are a cute couple,despite all their differnces. I dont want Amber to leave she makes the show.

37. Carolyn says:

This is my favorite show… literally the only one that I look forward to/ watch every week. Awesome cast and storyline and I love the chemistry between the characters and the closeness of the family, and realistic, serious, yet funny moments. So glad it’s back!

38. Strikingly well executed post.

39. Incredibly well executed post…