Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: NBC Sets Premiere Dates, Including Late Start For Chuck's Final Mission

NBC is the fifth and final broadcast network (following The CWFoxABC and CBS) to release its fall TV game plan, and I spy a late start for Chuck‘s 13-episode final season. But outside of that and some early “sneak peeks” at the new comedies Up All Night and Free Agents, it appears to be business as usual for the Peacock network.

And as a reminder, here’s what’s on tap for midseason: 30 Rock: new cycles of Celebrity Apprentice and The Voice; the new comedies Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, ChelseaBent and Best Friends Forever; and the new dramas AwakeSmash and The Firm.

All told, NBC’s game plan looks like this:

Fall 2011 TV Grid: Where Did Your Favorite Shows Land?

8/7c NFL Kickoff Special 2011
8:30 pm Sunday Night Football

7 pm Football Night in America

10 pm Parenthood

Fall TV Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

8 pm America’s Got Talent (season finale)
10 pm Up All Night [new series]
10:30 pm Free Agents [new series]

8 pm The Sing-Off (two hours)
10 pm The Playboy Club [new series]

Fall TV First Impression: The Bare Facts About The Playboy Club

8 pm The Biggest Loser (two hours)

8 pm Up All Night (regular time period debut)
8:30 pm Free Agents (regular time period debut)
9 pm Harry’s Law
10 pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Law & Order: SVU Scoop: Danny Pino, Kelli Giddish Cop Series Regular Roles

8 pm Community
8:30 pm Parks and Recreation
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Whitney [new series]
10 pm Prime Suspect [new series]

9 pm Dateline NBC

8 pm Chuck
9 pm Grimm [new series]
10 pm Dateline NBC (regular time period debut)

Chelsea Handler’s Midseason NBC Sitcom Cuts Three Castmembers in Overhaul

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: The Cape, Chase, The Event, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Outsourced , Perfect Couples and, we have to presume, Love Bites

1. Niki says:

After Bones now is my other favorite show, Chuck also starting late…

2. Joe says:

maybe they can use the late start for chuck and grimm to actually promote them during there other shows

• John says:

I think that’s kind of the idea…Greenblatt, being an actually competent executive, is doing a longer roll-out, hopefully to prevent the tough, limited-audience piece Grimm from arriving DOA. Actually, now that I think about it, a Halloweenish start for Grimm would already be kind of clever and smart, and the added oomph of the Chuck fanboys coming back from a long wait couldn’t hurt either.

3. Nicole says:

What about 30 Rock?

4. Scott says:

October 21?!?! For CHUCK?!?!?!?!?!?! The B*STARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• earl says:

couldn’t agree more. if they would have promoted chuck from the beginning,i don’t think we would have had to worry at the end of every season if it was comming back. chuck is a great show with a great cast that just makes every episode entertaining. hope more people will watch and nbc will have to give them a full year like they deserve………ok, i feel better now……….

• Randy says:

CHUCK is done after 13. No chance of more.

• Becky says:

Chuck fanboys (or fangirls like myself) probably won’t watch Grimm because we’re still reeling from only getting 13 final episodes, and they won’t even consider giving us a full season like we deserve.

5. Sarah says:

Is 30 Rock a midseason start?

6. Aiden says:

Chuck’s return date is a little late, but I’ll take it. That means it’ll run a bit longer and reach early 2012. I won’t have to deal with saying goodbye to it just yet!

7. Margo says:

Wow. Looking at this, Chuck is the only thing I will be watching on NBC this year.

• Charah4eva says:

Me too. Too bad it’s Chuck’s final season :,(

• John says:

Sounds very smug and limited of you…and you’re not even fully playing the TV snob role here. If you were, you’d appreciate that NBC’s low ratings have allowed it to incubate several great bubble shows, not just Chuck. Community, Parks and Rec, even 30 Rock is still a pretty niche crowd. Your loss I guess.

• Becky says:

Once Chuck is over, unless something amazing comes along, I refuse to watch NBC. It gives awful shows like 30 Rock unlimited renewals, but good shows like Chuck get the ax.

8. JJ says:

I guess NBC prob didn’t want to have like 10 episode of chuck b4 December break and only 3 episode after the break. They prob wanted equal amounts of episode before and after the Christmas break thats the only reason i can think of for a late start.

9. Michael says:

Seems like they are trying to promote GRIMM as much as possible, during new episodes of shows, before airing it during the typical death slot. Seems reasonable for such a buzzy show on many people’s top 10 lists.

I can’t even fathom that it’s Chuck’s last season. Where are the tissues? :’c

• lauren says:

Really? I haven’t heard *any* good buzz about Grimm, let alone being on any expert’s top 10.

• Rob says:

I don’t know dumping Grimm on Fridays opposite Fringe who will likely be a similiar demo looks to me that Grimm isn’t all that good. Friday night is the death slot especially when you are counter programing your scifi/fantasy show opposite another scifi fantasy show.

Grimm got a lot of buzz when NBC commissioned a pilot, but has fizzled since. Personally, I didn’t even know it got picked up until nearly a month after the upfronts and I actually followed the upfronts.

• Girish says:

Grimm is going opposite two of my top favorite shows – Supernatural and Fringe! It won’t survive on that slot! And I was really hoping they’d change Grimm’s timeslot. Too late now I guess :/

10. Marc says:

Loving the late start for Chuck. I’m going to be in Europe for 4 months starting in December with limited access to TV and Chuck; this has me only having to account for 7 episodes versus the entire season.

I am that much of a loser that I care about Chuck while living abroad.

• Dee says:

@Marc – Not a loser at all but maybe (I mean this in the best way possible) a nerd for all things Chuck. I was actually the same way when I traveled around Europe last Fall. I was counting the number of episodes I would miss and need to catch up on :)

• tiavro says:

lol no it’s okay I have a similar thought. I’m so obsessed with Chuck but I’m actually kind of glad that it’s starting later so I can actually focus on my first 2 months of college rather than obsess over the newest [and last =*(] season!

11. Sivat says:

I guess Chuck will air into Winter 2012.

12. Joe says:

He called the cw a network, lol.

13. DN says:

Seriously, why isn’t WB looking at moving the show to it’s CW network, or NBC looking to move “Chuck” to it’s subsidiary, USA network? If “Burn Notice”, another spy show, can continue on, essentially telling the same story over and over (like the majority of procedural shows), I don’t see why “Chuck” couldn’t thrive for another 2 seasons minimum.

Have you all seen the new shows the USA network has introduced? “Suits” and “Fairly Legal” are essentially the same thing! I know that if I were in charge of programming for the CW or USA network, I would want “Chuck” on my schedule, especially considering it’s established fan base!

• lauren says:

I think NBC and Warner have done well by Chuck and we should be grateful we had it this long & will get a real series finale. Zack and Yvonne are destined for bigger things and better job security.

14. Shiny says:

Bless them clickable links; I’m looking forward to Up All Night. Chuck had a terrific season, I’m playing they’ll bring back gals from the C.A.T. Squad, oh my lord that was funny.

15. Sourabh says:

I guess I’m watching everything.

If Chuck was on Thursdays at 10, and 30 Rock replaces Whitney midseason, Thursday would be the ‘Old NBC’ day.

16. Randy says:

You were scooped on the CHUCK start date over a month ago by ChuckGasmic http://chuckgasmic.blogspot.com/2011/06/chuck-season-5-schedule-shocker.html

17. Nicole says:

I can’t wait for Parenthood – so glad it’s starting nice and early. Same with the Thursday comedies – I can’t wait to get back to Pawnee, Indiana and Greendale Community College.

• mandy says:

I am guessing that Parenthood will follow the final performance show of America’s got Talent since the finale is the next day… Hopefully will do great things for Parenthoods ratings..

18. chuckrocks says:

Out of all the shows listed on NBC CHUCK is the only one that I will watch. The previews I have seen of their new line up don’t even make me want to check them out. I might give Grimm a try for one show. It will have to get me hooked the first show or I won’t be tuning back in. I like so many others wish NBC would have promoted CHUCK and I don’t really think CHUCK would be ending after 13 episodes. I just can’t imagine not being able to get my weekly CHUCK fix. I guess if we have huge ratings CHUCK will get more episodes, anyway that it what the new NBC president said. If several of these new shows bomb, like I think they will, that might add more episodes too.

• Esta says:

I’m pretty sure the NBC prez was tongue in cheek about ordering more Chuck episodes, because he said it’d need to get like 10 million viewers each week. Chuck has like never gotten that many, and certainly won’t on a Friday. Just giving you warning to avoid heartbreak :(

19. Kevin says:

30 Rock will wait until midseason after Tina Fey returns from maternity leave. Always dying for PARENTHOOD new season and hopefully it could do better than the first two seasons. PRIME SUSPECT may break the curse occupied by ER and guess will have to play the waiting game for CHUCK final season beginning October 21st.

20. anna says:

Chuck is pretty much the only thing that anyone will be watchinh. Its the only good show! I mean smallville is gone. One Tree Hill is having their last season, and now chuck. What the heck will people watch after its gone?

21. ben says:

why did they move chuck to friday night? They are going to kill the final season

22. athi says:

They put Harry’s Law opposite Criminal Minds. That’s not going to be pretty or end well.

23. ScrubsGuy says:

$50 says that NBC released their fall premieres last (even after the CW – geez) so that they could scope out the competition first.

Sigh, they’ve really fallen a long way. Well, at least they have the best hour of TV on Thursdays from 8 – 9 pm – GO COMMUNITY and PARKS & REC!!!

• G says:

CW had a lot of balls and released their schedule before ever any other network! lol And their schedule and shows are pretty good I must say! (And I’m NOT talking about GG, OTH and reality shows)
      Prime Suspect, Community and maybe Grimm are the only shows I’ll be watching on NBC!

24. Tim says:

Chuck, Community, and 30 Rock are all I’ll be watching. (Though I may give Playboy Club/Grimm a chance if they don’t fall on their feet after the first few episodes)

25. Seanti says:

Love Bites is the perfect summer series! Fingers crossed they might actually film a few more for next summer…

26. Krystal says:

I am soooo disappointed that Outsourced was cancelled! I liked that show and thought it was pretty funny! Boo on the network for cancelling it! It was the only thing that I watched on that channel!