Exclusive

Exclusive: Glee Wants Chord Overstreet Back: 'The Choice Is His'

Glee fans crying foul over show’s decision not to pick up Chord Overstreet’s Season 3 contract option can all just simmer down now. While it’s true that he wasn’t promoted to series regular along with co-stars Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr., an insider has confirmed what TVLine originally reported — he also wasn’t fired and, in fact, is invited to continue on, same as usual, as a recurring player.

Glee Bracket Tournament: Vote For the Show’s All-Time Best Musical Number!

“His option to be a series regular was just not picked up at this time,” clarifies the source. “If Chord wants to appear on Glee, the choice is his. The Glee writers like his Sam character, and have plans to write for him. He and his reps have been told that he is welcome back to Glee, and everyone hopes he will show up on August 10 when filming begins.”

The insider points out that it took Shum “two years to become a regular,” adding, “If Chord has a great season, which we expect he will, then he will become a regular like Harry, possibly as early as January.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Castle, Bones, Entourage, Fringe, The Good Wife and More!

So, will he or won’t he show up for work next month? That is the question. And the answer? Well, that’s TBD, as Overstreet’s camp declined to comment. My advice? Stick close to my Twitter feed — not to mention his — for the latest on this developing story.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Kristen says:

I reaaaally hope he shows up next month. I want to see how this Sam/Mercedes thing goes.

• Rex says:

Ditto. Finally, a relationship I care about.

• Tedd says:

I disagree. That storyline is horrible and so unappealing, much like Chord Overstreet.

Wish he was buried UnderAStreet

• Jonathan says:

Go die, Tedd.

• KevyB says:

No kidding. Sad to say but not EVERYBODY can be a regular. We need regulars with interesting storylines and his never were. Not that it was his fault. Last season was a bad season to join the show unless you were going to be Kurt’s boyfriend. That was originally the plan and if they had followed through with it, he might be a regular. My biggest problem with Chord is his voice is too similar to Finn’s. This show needs either a deep-voiced singer or someone who can really belt, like Rachel.

• Kassandra says:

Personally, I think his voice carries more tune than Finn’s. Don’t get me wrong, I like Finn, I just think Sam has more potential if we give him the chance. And all you guys saying he’s character was never entertaining and boring, um, people, we hardly ever see him and the writers’ haven’t shown us his full character yet. Like I said, give him a chance. I think he’s got GREAT potential.

• Sarah says:

I agree with Kassandra. I like Finn but Sam just seems to have more potential. And we haven’t even seen Sam fully yet. All we have seen is just the begging! Sam ROCKS! I love Chord! :)

• Sabrina says:

Although if he’s coming back for the 4th season, that’s saying something cause not alot of characters will. Although yes he sounds like Finn, he’s not Finn, and besides having another Rachel would change Glee club, once Rachel leaves talent will change.

• GLEEK says:

I think that Sam is smokin and should stay. I don’t think his voice is like Finn’s actually. Finn has a higher voice.
            I really want to see how Chord’s relationship is with Mercedes, though I would like to see how he is with Rachel. He has to come back.

• Rex says:

Wow. Hate much? Jeez.

• Abby says:

eff you tedd

• Sarah says:

Tedd u have no taste and u are just a cruel person. That Taylor Swift song “Mean” was probably about u because all u are is mean.

• Sarah says:

Tedd u r just mean! I agree with Johnathan. The Taylor Swift song “Mean” was totally about u!

• Andy says:

Honestly? Sam is Finn 2.0. Nothing agains Chord tho, I hope he stays, but Sam is kinda useless. I’d prefer a Tina storyline.

• Claire says:

Not a problem! Apparently, as a high school senior Finn is going to be graduated off the show at the end of this season anyway. If Sam is a year younger, maybe that’s when he’ll come into his own!

• lorna says:

This show sucks. Chord is too hott for this POS

2. scorpo says:

I think he and his lips should stick around.

3. A says:

So they don’t promote Chord because he hasn’t been there long enough, but boring, Gary Stu-character playing Darren Criss has been on the show half as long and he was in talks of promotion two episodes after he started? His character is bland, boring and just a Kurt plot device with no flaws that took over Kurt’s own storyline, and the reason he’s gotten so big is because all the little girls want Kurt to have a perfect Gary Stu boyfriend and like that he sings girl songs in a flat, autotuned voice. At least Chord’s character has some potential for a real storyline instead of just being a flawless pretty boy who’s getting far more credit than he deserves.

• samantha says:

this is not a competiton. both chord and darren can exist in harmony. if you don’t like blaine, fast foward through his parts. each viewer has their favorite and their least favorite, like i don’t watch any parts with mr. shue. he doesn’t float my boat. but i’m not going to compare him to anyone else or bring him down in the process.

also, blaine is hardly flawless. he is pretty though!

• A says:

Fast forwarding through all the Blaine parts would mean fast forwarding through almost half of season two because the plot device that went awry took over so much time with autotuned acapella. His whole storyline just seems to be him being boringly perfect for Kurt, which does not require as much time as they’ve given him.

• Christine says:

i fastforward thru all the kurt stuff (tho i do like blaine). makes the show better, imo, to be quicker and less melodramatic!

• Lisa says:

I fastforward through a nice chunk of Rachel.

• jenna says:

Now this is the hard part! Kurt is waaaaay too dramatic for me, but if I wanna skip his storyline I will miss out a lot of Blaine and I really really like Blaine. I hope he gets more storylines in season 3 that doesn’t always relate to Kurt.

• K. says:

The Warblers are the only thing that keeps Glee from being boring all the time. Glee’s storyline was stuck until they wrote them in. Darren Criss and Dalton made Glee good again.
          And they had to give Darren a contract so he wouldn’t have a chance to go away, if they wanted the Klaine-storyline to go on.
          It’s all about priority’s.

• B says:

Ew, no! The Warblers were having his own damn show in Glee. They didn’t “made Glee good again”, I didn’t even knew I was watching Glee, it was more like The Warblers Show.

Maybe they should do that, a spin-off of them if they really want the money they are giving them.

• Miranda says:

Darren Criss AND Dalton? Darren Criss is the only one who ever sings on the Warblers. At least when it comes to the New Directions it’s not only Finn and Rachel, they’re just showcased more. At least we’ve heard Santana, Mercedes, Quinn, Puck, and Sam sing some songs. Not to mention we’ve practically heard everyone else at least once. Can’t say the same for the Warblers. Only Criss’s character and Kurt.

• Cari says:

Yeah, but how long did it take before the New Directions showcased anyone other than Finn and Rachel? The Warblers only had a handful of songs (and scenes). There wasn’t time to develop all their characters, especially since they’re not the focal point of the show. But their a capella stuff provided a nice counterpoint to the New Directions’ songs, which are sometimes completely taken over by the background music.

• Kristen says:

Cari and Miranda:One of the main reasons (I’m assuming) that the other members of the Warblers don’t have a solo is because the actors you see on the show aren’t the real singers. The real singers are The Beelzebubs, and were also participants on The Sing Off. You can read about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beelzebubs They also have their own website: http://bubs.com/news/

• R says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself, A. If Chord sticks around I’ll reconsider my divorce from Glee, but it’ll probably still be an awkward separation since I’ve had enough of the Kurt/Blaine storyline and especially darren Criss.

• A says:

The overbearing Kurt storyline has literally stopped me from being excited about Glee every week (along with the serious overall decline in quality on the show in general, but this particular part felt shoehorned in). I didn’t mind it until Kurt’s storyline became the “look at our knight in shining armor Gary Stu who sings girl songs” Blaine show. After that, Kurt’s storyline seemed diminished to him just staying at another school to get a boyfriend, and then immediately returning when his team didn’t win regionals, which in turn made it feel like a huge waste of time.

• exBFF says:

Completely agree. He started off as such a great character…but they’ve turned him into a perpetual victim. Also, stop making him sing in such a high register. The dude has a voice. He doesn’t have to always sing castrato.

• A says:

Totally agree. The high register puts me off Chris Colfer so much. He sounded glorious at Glee Live when he was singing I Wanna Hold Your Hand and Happy Days Are Here Again in his normal, great voice.

• Rinka says:

Could not agree more. I thought I was the only one thinking this.

• Katie says:

Yeah, I know right? Why have all the bullying when that would never, ever happen now? /sarcasm They’ve show tolerance toward the gay community through Blaine and Dalton, so it would make sense to show what it’s like on the other side. As someone who can’t even come out to her family because they would all disown her, it means something to me to see that it’s not easy for everyone else.

• Sunam says:

“castrato?” HAHAHAHA! Agreed. I liked Kurt in the first season, but was quickly annoyed in the second. I mean, he was a “go get ‘em” character who they weakened. Why did they do that? I think it must be difficult to toe the line between struggling victim/and whiney victim, and the writers eventually jumped full force into whiney victim storyline. My sympathies waned over time, and since this was the primary storyline for the first part of the season, I eventually stopped watching the show (though would check out bits of shows that seemed to have interesting numbers).

• Krystal Laframboise says:

It’s funny that you mention that Darren Criss has been on the show half as long as Chord, when in reality he was brought on the show in Episode 6 of Season 2 while Chord was added Episode 1 of Season 2. Seems to me that that’s not really half as long now, is it?

Also, you might want to consider that some people do enjoy Blaine’s story. Just because you don’t, doesn’t mean everyone else doesn’t. Your claim that his fame is due to the little girls wanting Kurt to have a perfect Gary Stu boyfriend is highly bias. Opinions are welcome, but you don’t have to hate on Darren Criss and his success because you are upset about the current situation with Chord.

• A says:

tbh, I don’t really care all that much about Chord/Sam, I was just pointing out that compared to Darren/Blaine, he has more right to a regular role and his character has far more room to grow and be interesting than Darren’s already boringly perfect Blaine Anderson.

• Kyle says:

I hate how Blaine keeps being referred to as perfect. And he has plenty of segway storylines, such as his home life which, as we’ve all come to learn, is most likely far from perfect. Also, Darren is not autotuned. Anyone who was at Glee Live can tell you that.

• Carlie says:

Um, sorry Kyle but Darren was autotuned. Learn how to music and then come back. Pretty much every single studio version of the Glee songs is autotuned. Go listen to Teenage Dream and tell me that doesn’t have autotune in it. Somewhere only we know was the worst. Don’t let your bias show too much, okay?

• Angie says:

Darren is definitely autotuned. Whenever he appears on television he sounds pretty terrible. Everyone on the show is autotuned to some degree, even people with great voices like Lea and Chris. Sometimes it’s just a note here and there because they only have an hour tops to record songs. Sometimes it’s the entire song. Darren isn’t perfect.

• s says:

@A Thank You for your comment so truthful. I totallt agree. I really like Sam and hope he stays and hope he gets more and better storylines in the future. Chord please stay.

• kad says:

Excuse me? He has more of a “right” to be a regular? I’m sorry, what makes you qualified to decide that?

• Got2Luv_Mel says:

ICAM with this entire post!

• grey says:

Word. I can’t stand Blaine and how they keep pushing the character (who seriously is nothing but a glorified Kurt prop – and lets face it, Kurt Hummel deserves more than a boy who told him to put his hands down and keeps failing to realize what a self-centered jerk he is toward Kurt) at us.

I mean… did Blaine seriously get more songs than Kurt last season? Wtf? And I’m not even going to mention the actual regular Glee kids who were completely overshadowed due Blarren. I have nothing against Darren Chriss (he seems like a cool guy) but the character grates and I had enough after two episodes.

• Raya says:

Chris has stated multiple times he only wants to sing songs with meaning behind them. He doesn’t want to just sing for the chance to sing; he wants Kurt’s songs to add to the plot and have real depth and emotion. That’s why he gets less songs.

• Miranda says:

Then, instead of worrying about Blaine, the Glee writers should find actual reasons for Kurt to sing that bring to the plot. I mean, he’s way better than Blaine. I’ve only liked one song done by the Warblers.

• B says:

But! Blaine is still Kurt’s storyline. We should never forget that.

• Karen says:

Totally agree. Blaine is BLAND.

• Steph says:

You do realize people the article is about SAM and not Blaine or Darren, right? I, as a Sam’s fan, can’t, for the love of it, understand why, we have to talk about Blaine when Sam is involved… Really… let’s try and be mature, shall we?

• Raya says:

Marry me? You’d think it was impossible to like both characters, or to even just like one and not bash the other.

• A says:

No, it’s not about Blaine or Darren, but the article specifically mentions that the producers say Chord’s regular option wasn’t picked up because he wasn’t there long enough, while Harry’s was renewed because he had put his time in. Darren was there less than Harry, Heather, Naya, and Chord and his option was picked up. It’s not about being immature, it’s about stating facts. Chord’s character is popular enough, he’s well received, he has room to grow, but he was still slighted.

• j says:

Chord’s character has potential for a story line = you like his abs. Come on, you can admit it!

• A says:

I actually don’t. Not a huge fan of the overly defined abs, the guy looks like he needs a sandwich. Bad. I was referring to the whole poor family storyline.

• Miranda says:

I love that storyline! It’s like the first real, realistic storyline Glee has done that’s not overdramatized. I freaking love Sam’s story.

• Cari says:

You forgot a key word: yet. It’s not overdramatized YET. I mean, this is Glee we’re talking about, the same show that overdramatized a car wash.

• B says:

IS THAT YOU “A”? WHY DID YOU SAID “NOISY BITCHES DIE”? I CAN NOT DEAL WITH YOU RN.

Now, really: I think that Chord deserves to be a regular just as Darren, both have a storyline (Darren even! Just because we didn’t knew more about himself, there are still things that makes me wonder what happened -like what happened in his old school-), both have been the same time in Glee, both are talented enough.

Still, I will always prefer Chord over Darren.

• maru says:

i hope the writers give us a better storyline for blaine rigth?? because is this character that’s boders you…no darres criss or do you?? darren is a totally aweson person and he only acts what the superiors told him to do so….lets blaime the writers please and nop darren and yes…i hope chord stays and continue with mercedes! it’s a very talented person as darren or harry to play his part on glee and
      P.S. Darren is a very special person for FOX because he has his own fans from starkid produccions so…that’s good for the show don’t you think!! business..that part count a lot!! : )

• Tarc says:

As a guy that occasioanlly gets paid to write fiction, I reject the idea that Blaine is ‘bland, boring’ or a Gary-Stu. Certainly, they’ve showed plenty of Blaine’s flaws already (eliminating the latter charge), and I suppose that a minority might find his character boring, but I don’t think that represents enough people it matter to the show. I certainly don’t thikn Blaine is boring in the slightest – in fact, he’s a great charater to write for. OTOH, Sam had far more of the qualities you complain about. He’s good looking, popular, a football star, and a decent (if generic) singer. That charater is much harder to write for – he’s pretty dull. They did do a good job in the final couple episodes to give him some interest in the family situation.

• Miranda says:

As a woman who’s career is writing fiction, I disagree. The raw, gritty realism of Sam’s family situation is the only real storyline they’ve had on Glee in a while. Blaine’s happy all the time, he’s loved for his simplicity and the fact that he’s a good looking gay man that can make Kurt happy – who is in fact the popular character to which Blaine seems to be getting the backlash for. Sam’s good looking, yes; but he sticks up for what he believes in. He can sing, definitely; but isn’t that the whole point to the show? He’s a football star, sure (although admittedly not as much as Finn); but he’s also a dork and comfortable with who he is. I could think of so many ways to write for him, not so much for Blaine.

• Amy says:

As a woman who also has a career writing fiction, I can’t believe either of you (a) think that Blaine OR Sam is a well-developed character or (b) don’t see that each of them has potential. Also, as you pros should know, this is a business. Blaine is hugely popular; Sam has fans (maybe more than the show had previously realized), but did not take fire with the audience the same way. Anybody who thought the show would NOT capitalize on Blaine’s popularity has not been paying enough attention.

• Miranda says:

I don’t recall stating that either were well-developed, only that Sam is better developed then Blaine, and that Blaine is the one who is most like a Gary Stu if ever there was one.

• mgawsmestevan says:

Why does EVERY article about Sam, always turn into something about Blaine(Darren) too? Why are we pitting them against each other?! I love Blaine way more than Sam, but I don’t go into an article about Chord and say, ‘Oh but Darren/Blaine are so much more interesting and could do so much and he sings better.’ Stop bringing it up and just be happy for CHORD Dammit! Quit making it a war, both of these guys are friends in real life. Also this is from a guy who likes Blaine, he gets to sing the best songs. :-) So don’t assume its just lil girls who like him. haha

• Miranda says:

Finally, someone who agrees with me!

• maru says:

DAMN THAT G.L.E.E., THEY’RE ALWAYS MAKING TWISTED ABOMINATIONS OF EVERYTHING. jajajajaja a hurrey for chord and for darren and harry they deserve all the best for the next season!! they are talented people so i hope the writers be kind and intelligent

• Maggie says:

Sadly this world has many haters, and you are one of them. You seem to resent the fact that Darren Criss has achieved some success. All your criticisms are subjective and merely express you own opinion. The majority see it differently. I love Darren Criss’ character, Blaine and feel it has changed a lot of anti-gay attitudes. I like Chord Overstreet but feel that Sam’s homeless storyline was the one that was going nowhere. I hope the new writers can come up with some interesting story lines. I don’t hate on Chord just because I feel the writers didn’t develop his character. I don’t see why you must attack Darren. They are both actors doing their jobs. Period.

• Michael says:

Bitter much? How bout you just watch NCIS instead and eff off?

• Ubie says:

Criss was only promoted so that “Kurt’s Gay Hour” can continue to dominate this season like it did last season. Blaine, Blaine, Blaine. I don’t dislike the character, but I hope his story gets more interesting this season at least and it’s not just all about him and Kurt. I hope if he comes to McKinley that it becomes more about him fitting in with the Glee club and stuff like that. Not just about another gay kid’s struggle for equality, blah, blah, blah. Been there, done that TO DEATH.

• Ubie sucks says:

Wow. What is life like as a moronic homophobe? Which red state do you live in? Doing any campaigning for that nutsack Michelle Bachmann?

• gliebe says:

^ That was uncalled for. I don’t think it’s really possible to be able to watch Glee regularly, which the OP seems to, and also be homophobic. You would have probably dropped the show upon the realization there is a gay character. He was merely stating that the gay storylines dominated this season (which it did.) I completely agree with what he said- both Kurt AND Blaine have great potential-storylines that don’t include their sexuality.

———————————————————————

Furthermore, in an unrelated note.. as it has been stated, why is Darren included in an article about Chord? Regardless of their times spent on Glee, their situations should not be compared, and Darren should CERTAINLY not be getting the heat because Chord isn’t being promoted to a regular. With the obvious Bipolar attitudes that the writers seem to always showcase, perhaps Chord could be promoted before the season starts. You never know.

• Captain says:

It’s not based on seniority, it’s based on the role the writer’s have in mind for each charcter. Blaine made a big splash with fangirls and clearly the writers have lots of ideas for his character so they promoted him. Sam was a quieter character and the writers may not have as many ideas for him. It’s already been revealed he wont have a big arc this season so why would they promote him? It doesn’t always happen overnight but I’m sure he’ll be promoted once the core cast leaves. It took Stephen Coletti 4 years to get promoted on One Tree Hill. Give it time.

• sm says:

THANK YOU A for being so honest in your comment. I totally agree about Blaine character. Criss wouldn’t be any where if Blaine wasn’t Kurt’s boyfriend. Bland and dull great singer though. I really liked Chord. He can sing and CAN ACT. He just needs the opportunity to show all that he can be. Yes @A Sam character has the ability to morph into any aspect or in depth of a storyline whether comedic or dramatic nature. Whereas Blaine character is held to just being boyfriend to Kurt. I really liked Sam but he had a deadend storyline. Several of the characters have united in story with him already. Finn’s frenemy. Quinn and Santana’s ex. Now beau to Mercedes. I really like them together. Hope Chord chooses to stay with Glee. I would really be happy.

• Rikki says:

1) Darren Criss got more song downloads in his rendition of “teenage dream” then “dont stop believing” and was on the billboards top 100 list unlike chord overstreet songs on glee 2) he has been on the show as long as sam, he just wasnt featured in the first few episodes of season two neither was sam he was on the first episode then wasnt on for awhile until the episode before blaine first appeared. 3)Chord Overstreet only auditioned once for Glee and got the part, Darren has auditioned for every guy casting call for the show. So it shows hes devoted. 4)He has a far better voice than Chord, have you heard him live or listened to his EP. 5)He was an overnight sensation that people grew to love. Then he has said many times that he will stay on the show as a guest star for as long as they want him, Chord left as soon as he wasnt offered a series regular. 6) His character shows that not all gay teens are insecure about themselves. Its a strong teen that is comfortable in his own sexuality. He is not flawless he has shown many of his flaws and i’m sure he has many more to come.I think they have done a great job creating his character and they will give him a great storyline. and chances are they wont keep him with the warblers next season they will probaly have him transfer to McKinley.

4. MMars says:

I hope he decides to come back in August.

5. spike says:

he’s the only decent character on the show that isn’t totally hyper during every scene. i was worried they would go the “my unemployed dad found a job in another state and we have to move” story bs. i hope he sticks around

6. Cin says:

Praise the LORD! I was hoping this was a huge misunderstanding, in at least some way spurred on by you Mr. Ausiello. If Chord Overstreet/Sam Evans doesn’t return, then neither will I.

7. Nicky says:

WOW, as early as January.

That’s even before the whole glee club cast will be written out and replaced. Oh joy.

I guess we gotta be REALLY thankful now.

• Laura says:

Remember, Sam was written starting as a Sophomore when all the other kids were juniors. RM said himself Sam was a part of the new class.

• A says:

Ryan Murphy talks out his ass all the time. Blaine was supposed to be a senior, but apparently he’s going to ND next season. Sam was at the junior dance and was in classes with the characters. Rachel was supposed to be a sophomore in season 1, but her birthday was mentioned in the show as December, 1994 which would screw up that timeline. Glee doesn’t believe in continuity or logic, so Sam could be in the ninth grade for all we know.

• Raya says:

True Ryan screws with things, but it’s very possible for Sam to still be an underclassman as Ryan anticipated. You can attend classes with upperclassmen and dances as long as invited by them in a lot of schools. (Plenty of high schools have mixed grade classes.) It was never explicitly stated Blaine was a senior; he was simply said to be older than Kurt, which could put them in the same year, though people assumed. Some schools also have December cut off dates instead of August ones, which would put Rachel in the correct class.

(That being said, Sam ended up as a tenth grader this year wouldn’t be all that surprising to me. But it’s always make ‘em younger, not older, so.)

• Meg says:

Sam was at the junior dance because he was the date or Rachel and Mercedes. Throughout high school I was always in classes with students in different grades, except for English class.

Rachel’s birthday in 1994 doesn’t screw up the timeline. That puts her at 17 this year. I was 17 when I was a senior in high school. I don’t know how this screws up the timeline.

• Claire says:

My sister-in-law went through a different school system than me. She was born on December 12 and was made to go to school the year she turned six (so she was five when she started at the beginning of that school year). My twin sister and I were also born in December (Dec. 4th), but the school policy where we started out was that November 30 was the cut-off date. That meant we were already six when we started school and turned seven during that school year. So it all depends on what your particular area’s rules are.

8. Kim says:

Yes, it took Harry 2 years to become a series regular, but that’s because he doesn’t provide much to the show. He doesn’t sing. Sure, he dances, but on a show like Glee, singing is much more important. I would have prefered to have Chord become a regular over Harry.

And what about Darren. He’s been on the show the least amount of time, and is now a regular. How’s that fair to Chord? I don’t care how popular he is, if we’re going off amount of time on the show, Chord should have become a regular before Darren.

I seriously hate Ryan Murphy. The man has no idea what he’s doing.

• mark says:

no one really ‘sings’ on glee.

• Karen says:

Lol, are you kidding? Do you know how many of the cast have sung live (and stunningly so) on Broadway?

• B says:

Excuse you? Lea, Chris, Amber, Naya, Dianna, Chord and Kevin are amazing singers. Jsyk!

• Brianca says:

With the exception of maybe Finn (who is auto-tunned to high heaven) the cast are all extremely talented singers. And yes, they are not performed live as we see them in the show, the cast pre-records them in a studio and lip sync’s them while filming- that is how it is done in EVERY Hollywood produced musical film since the 80’s to ensure solid vocals while moving around. Glee live is however, LIVE.

• ILoveHarry says:

Hey you need to stfu about Harry! >:(

• Meg says:

There are a lot of characters billed as regulars who are barely around. Mike O’Malley, Jessalyn Gilsig, etc. All that term refers to is the sort of contract they have.

• Raya says:

Harry CAN sing though; they just choose to have him not sing. As for Darren, regardless of whether you like him or his character, he clearly went above and beyond in press work and showing RM and Fox that he’ll do whatever the fuck they want since it’s good for his career. (Even if you don’t like him, you have to admit he’s got smart people.) Likewise, he character is more desirable by the general Glee audience. Hence the status bump.

Regular status ISN’T DETERMINED by the amount of time you’re on the show, NOR does it determine how much screen time you get. Look at Mike and Jessica–neither was around that much this season, yet they’re regulars. For all you know, Chord could be in nearly every episode in season three, and Darren could be in a few.

Maybe you don’t think it’s fair, but that’s how the industry works. Make money–make friendly with the suits–bumped up. From what’s been floating around, it sounds like Chord simply didn’t have anyone behind the scenes really advocating for a status bump. It doesn’t mean anything for the fans; honestly, all it really involves is Chord’s paycheck.

9. Elijah says:

I thought Chord Overstreet was bumped up to a series regular midway through the second season. His name was placed with the series regulars, I believe, in the opening credits. It sounds more like a demotion than a lack of a promotion.

10. Mandy says:

Makes sense then. Glad they are giving him the option to come back. There is so much story there to tell with Sam, with the finiacially challenged family and the inter-racial relationship. So I think he should stick around. Also, with Sam being the youngest, I think he can count on even more screen time after everyone graduates at the end of next season.

11. Britney says:

How can they wait to see if he shows up?! What kind of writing is that? Won’t they have written the first couple of scripts by then? How can they write scripts not knowing if an actor will be around or not?!

• Manuela says:

Yes, that’s what I was thinking.

• Angie says:

lol well this IS Glee, the show that films an episode with half a script written and rewrites pages on set…

• tulip says:

Glee is not the only show to do that. Every single TV show rewrites pages on set, and there are many episodes of many shows that film before the script is finished. Actually, there are some movies that do that, too!

12. Keets says:

So all this was just a way for Ausiello to get hits. It was obvious he was not fired he just wasnt promoted.

You Sam stans are idiots. Thanks for making FOX more money over the weekend

• V says:

TVline got it wrong the first time. They wanted more hits for their second rate Entertainment Weekly site.

There’s no way they didn’t know that chord being recurring didn’t mean he got fired.

13. L. says:

They are putting him in an unfair position, even Darren starred in less episodes than him I believe, and got picked up as a regular.

• Ashley says:

Blaine had more of a story.

Like Darren/Blaine or not, it happened.

• B says:

Story? You mean “Kurt story”, right? Apart from that, I wouldn’t know.

• Carlie says:

Lol girl, Blaine didn’t have any story. Stop the wishful thinking. Sam has a connection with every single character except Finn’s mom, and we’ve even met his siblings. Blaine has only been directly linked to one character and that would be Kurt. Even if you’re a Blaine/Darren you have to admit it. Just because you liked “his” story line doesn’t mean that you get to exaggerate it.

14. caio says:

it’s all about the money, people. They would’ve likely had to pay him extras had he become a regular.

15. laney says:

ummm that’s definitely not how you phrased it before, TVLine. This is either the producers changing their minds or you got it wrong the first time. I’m going with the producers changed their minds because all they ever do is give us whiplash with the storylines, why not do it in real life too?

• Anna says:

yeah, it was definitely phrased differently, and with a big difference in what that meant… so, yeah, probabily change of plans…

• Raya says:

I’d say less they changed their plans and more the original information leak was worded differently, so they’re just telling us what they know.

16. RobRob says:

Aww I hope he comes back! Would REALLY like to see whats up with him and Mercedes. I think they’d be good together.

17. HEHE says:

So you are saying Chord knew he wasnt cut yet he let his fans react like this and buy his songs…..

Sam fans im sorry to say but you have been played. Chord is an idiot and narcissist and Ausiello you are nitwit. Get your facts before you print.

• Karen says:

Chord did nothing wrong this whole time, you can stop being an idiot now.

• Angie says:

Nope, he was clearly under the impression he was let go and he probably HAD been. His family and friends were saying he had been let go and all of the cast members were giving him sad hugs and attention during the last Glee shows. Obviously someone at FOX would have clarified that he was staying on the show and not just confirming he wasn’t a regular and “MIGHT” make appearances. It wasn’t until the fan outcry got all of this media attention that his status with the show changed and went back to staying.

Plus buying “his” songs? You mean FOX’s songs? He didn’t write them. He doesn’t make royalties.

• Meg says:

“It wasn’t until the fan outcry got all of this media attention that his status with the show changed and went back to staying.”

I find it more likely that the show always wanted him back, as they put down groundwork for his character at the end of the season and the original article was a way to get hits for this website. The joke is on us.

• Jemma says:

He was never let go, that was clear from the start.
        He was offered something he didn’t like and his guys decided to try and get what he wanted, status of a reg is what is at stake, and they said no. Except Fox obviously isn’t interested. That is when the whole oh woe is me started and his fans went nuts which he milked to the best of his ability trying to force his status. That failed too as we can see. Fox is giving him the option to stay, same as it was before, and it is his decision to take it or leave it as it was before.
        He did successfully tarnish his reputation though and he is too unknown and too young to pull stunts like that.

• ro says:

Yeah. I still say that this was a ploy by Overstreet’s people.

• Raya says:

Did we ever get confirmation as to where the original info leak came from? I know there was a lot of speculation it was Chord’s people and not Fox, and that’s why things were worded so oddly.

18. Karin says:

Even tough Chord deserves way better than Glee this makes me excited! Mostly because it must piss Ryan off to no end <3 see Ryry not all fans don't care about manhands or kurt

19. lol says:

I hate Blaine!!

• Tulip says:

You’re dumb, “lol”. Next time comment on something that’s relevant to the current article. This is supposed to be a place for lively discussion, not for you to spout opinions as if they are the be-all, end-all of the entertainment business. This article is about Chord Overstreet/Sam Evans, not Darrin Criss/Blaine. Go troll somewhere else.

• Steph says:

I’m not a Blaine superfan but this comment doesn’t make sense… and has nothing to do with Chord or Sam, so… If you have nothing interesting to say, sometimes, it’s better not to say nothing at all..

20. mikoman91 says:

yet they’re still not going to admit fault and just add him as a series regular

• Raya says:

…because, you know, it’s totally easy to do that, what with contract negotiations and everything. Plus it makes perfect sense to ignore the business side of things just because the fans want something. Mhmm.

• mikoman91 says:

Yes, because obviously this isn’t a fan based show.. or else i would call it the rachel kurt show. it’s hollywood, it’s not a huge business deal. glee has the ability to do this but they don’t want to admit they’re wrong. think about it —

would it be easier to say “we messed up, please here’s a job” or Oh YOU messed up our article, we never said he was fired. hmm

21. Em says:

I’m confused. The writers have already begun writing for season three, they should even be done with 3.01 by now. How can they write for his character and then be like, if he shows, great, if he doesn’t, oh well. Doesn’t make any sense.

I’m starting to think he was cut, especially based off his tweets and his family tweets and now Glee/FOX is just saving face since the outcry was loud. And if he decides not to come back, it’ll be like the whole thing was his choosing.

22. Ceecile says:

I thought he was already a regular. He was in every episode, sang solos, had storylines..

• Karen says:

He was a recurring guest the entire season, but yeah, because he does so much, many people think it’s unfair they still haven’t given him regular status. And I agree. He does way more than Tina, Mike, Mercedes, etc, and it’s unfair he gets paid less than them.

23. Espy says:

Consider it this way…After the first season Naya Rivera and Heather Morris got bumped up to regulars because their characters were quite popular. While Harry Shum had a lot of fans too, Brittana were the breakouts. This is a very similar situation Even if you hate Blaine, you have to admit that he is the new character that really hit big. I hope he comes back, Samcedes sounds awesome…

24. HEHE says:

No you are the idiots. All of u so called stans. Cant you see what he did? He knew he was not cut. The only person that did not know was Ausiello. Ausiello is an idiot too but thats a different story.

FOX would have told him that his contract was not upgraded. This must have pissed him off so he goes off and lets his sisters send tweets adding fuel to fire and causing this mess. If he had any consideration for his so called fans why didnt he just tell them the full story? Why send a tweet thanking everyone for their support? He didnt do anything because fans reacted and started the twitter campaign and bought his music. PR gold for him at no expense to himself personally. This was probably a way to show FOX that he was popular and was a fan favourite.

Well you morons played into it and now guess what he was not even fired. He simply was being a diva and refused less screentime. If it were up to me, this tool would not get hired for an extra not to talk of a recurring guest. He has a bad attitude and he is a diva and he clearly has no respect for his fans.

I hope you are happy. He still isnt getting promoted.

• Karen says:

The amount of reaching you’re doing is honestly astounding. Please stop trying to pass off your “logic” as fact.

• Jemma says:

Actually HEHE is correct. He knew all the time but played the card that he got fired to get his fans to freak out, in order to see if he could get regular. That is what is being cleared up – it was HIS choice to go, not that of the producers.
        And the reason why they are still writing for him is that they know he’ll show up. He just tried to hardball and lost. And the industry really doesn’t like people like that.
        I kind of almost feel sorry for his fans. Almost.

• AnnaStella says:

Oooook, talking about paranoia! What the… you do realize this is not a spy movie, right? I present you Chord Overstreet: the genius of psychologial mind control and, sure as hell, the perfect stratega… Wow, that really a complicated theory… Anyone else you’d like to add in the complot? Just to be sure…

• Raya says:

“If he had any consideration for his so called fans why didnt he just tell them the full story? Why send a tweet thanking everyone for their support? ”

1. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure a lot of the time actors aren’t ALLOWED to discuss their contract status, and they sure as hell aren’t encouraged to without first talking to their people. There are plenty of reasons why.

2. …Because he’s thankful for their support? Tour just closed. Kinda what everyone did.

• Meg says:

1) You’re absolutely correct. It’s also possible that because a) he was out of the country b) he was busy and c) it was a holiday weekend that he wasn’t sure what the heck was going on either.

25. MedOrMad says:

To me, that’s all that matters. That’s what I wanted to hear. That he could come back full time (I don’t care with what contract) and, eventually, maybe become a regular. Now that the choice is his, I’ll be happy with whatever he decides… Obviously I’m crossing my fingers for him to show up and give us our sweet Sammy back :D … but if he won’t, then, as his fan, I’ll just be happy with whatever other project he is planning.
    ’ll just stay here and hope he gets back into that choir room :D because seriously to me No Sam no Glee….

Thank you for this article, really.

26. Will says:

So, the Internet overreacted and didn’t actually pay attention to what news items ACTUALLY said. Shocking.

• Steph says:

Actually the difference between the previous report and this one is that, on friday, Chord’s option to be on the show was to “ocasionally guest star”… Now I have no idea if they changed their minds, if that wasn’t exactly what they said or not, but it DOES sound different then what it reported here… so…

27. Pri says:

I like Blaine and Sam, and I’ll admit, I did have a mini-dance party when Darren became a regular. But I almost cried when I found the rumors of Chord being fired.

Blaine’s character has many flaws- his obliviousness, and inaction, for one. He chases after an unattainable guy (Jeremiah) and is hesitant about himself. He has a lot of screen time, but its not time spent LEARNING about his character, its more, “hey, whats up with Kurt?” scenes, usually.
    I loved Sam and all of his storylines, Quam, the time with Santana, and the recent Samcedes.

Why do we have to fight?
    (And everyone calling Darren Criss autotuned, listen to any videos of him live. He has phenomenal talent.)

28. Lauren says:

Oh, People! This was not an either or decision. It’s possible to like Sam without hating on other characters.
    Obvs. Darren Criss has some fans or else they wouldn’t be spending so much money on him. He makes money for the show- ergo, they pay him.
    And I think it would behoove Chord to stick around. None of these kids have tons of options waiting in the wings.

29. Sarah says:

I want them all back. Chord, Darren, and Harry!! I hope Chord comes back because I love him and his cute “trouty-mouth”!!!

30. Jemma says:

So in other words, Chord knew all this and chose not to return and this was all a game by him and his PR people?!

Oh my, poor poor fans, how you have been played. And you even poured your money into this guy’s song to push it up when he was using you all this time in order to get what he couldn’t, which is regular status? Who ever stays a fan of this guy, after the ^%^# storm he caused, well, you deserve to be played over and over again.

• Angel says:

Since you are so obviously in close, personal contact with Chord to know exactly what is going on with his work status, let him know his fans are looking forward to seeing him in season three. :-)

31. Lucy says:

I’m a huge Darren Criss fan but it is true – his character is bland and only is there for the Kurt relationship. Since he’s promoted to a series regular now, I really hope we get to know more about the character and he is able to stand alone without Kurt. However, if that doesn’t happen then I will be uber upset that he is a series regular and Chord Overstreet isn’t. Sam has become a solid character and an integral part of New Directions/Glee!

• Raya says:

Agree and disagree. Blaine started off as bland, but as part of the Kurt relationship we’ve been learning more about him. We’ve learned subtleties about his past and how his experiences differ from Kurt’s, his family, his insecurities, and while these almost all tie back to the LGBT-themed plotline, it’s still something. Given more screen time (which he may or may not get–status promotion doesn’t equal screen time! Look at Mike and Jessica!), Blaine could be fleshed out very well. Sam’s character has been back and forth this season, and only toward the end did they really start to give him something viewers could connect with that we didn’t have on the show before. (The homeless storyline, insight into his family life, etc.) I’m definitely hoping for more of him though!

32. Angel says:

Your original article stated that Chord “might” be in a few episodes next season… Nowhere did you act like he was still going to have the same status as this season, where he was in 21/22 episodes.

Also it’s still pretty unfair that Darren gets to be a regular and Chord didn’t, when Chord arguably worked harder. Darren did one day a week (Chris said they only filmed one day a week for Dalton storylines). Chord was there all day, every day with with the rest of the cast.

But whatever, I don’t care so long as Sam is on the show. I hope Chord stays!

33. Seriously? says:

What’s the issue here? The recurring Glee members are in EVERY episode! I thought Harry Shum was promoted to a regular during the last season? I know I read that story on EW. What’s annoying is the “regulars” who do basically nothing (Tina, Mercedes, Emma, and especially Will’s ex wife!) And as others have commented, Ryan Murphy is horrible at continuity and character development. You can’t believe any spoilers he gives, he’ll just change his mind because he was “bored”.

34. HD says:

I really hate Darren Criss. I can’t stand him or his character. I really hope Glee’s producers make him disappear: he is a bad actor and his face on my screen makes me sick. That’s really horrible to feel that way because he is a part of Kurt’s storyline and I LOVE CHRIS COLFER: Chris Colfer is by far the most talented actor and he sings with the voice of an angel. But in order to watch my favorite character Kurt, I have to also watch this awful Blaine.

• Lee says:

And what does this have to do with this article at all?

• maru says:

wow!! i finally see a person whoo hate blaine…rigth?? because tha’s probably well to say but you don’t hate darren or do you?? the boy is super talented and you only have to hear the music that he compose and girl…the man sings like a really star so…ok blaine character may be a little mmm boring?? but i hope the writers will give him a chance and make a tru storyline for him…common give him a chance ok?? jajaja

• mgawsmestevan says:

Wow Hater GTFO. lol Hating the actor and commenting in a Chord article.

35. Lawrence says:

For some reason I am having a problem understanding what this article is saying. The original article said “Chord could come back for occasional guest appearances” yet now we are being told Chord can return, same as ever, as a recurring character. “Same as ever” to me means he is going to be in every episode just like season two. So what is it -guest appearances occasionally? -or will he be used like Harry Shum Jr. was -in every episode?

Why would Glee leave it up to Chord in the first place. Show up and you got a job. Does anyone really believe that they would wait until the first day of filming to determine -based on his appearing on set -to make that decision. It pretty much sounds like FOX is leaving the ball in Chord’s court -if Chord has a job or not. What a way to pass the blame if the character is written out or not.

This article just muddied the story to me. Just don’t understand who is playing damage control -FOX or TVLine. We need to ask what recurring really means in Chord’s case. Is it like New Direction recurring or is it recurring like other characters like Jacob and Karofsky. That’s what the fans want to know!

• MedOrMad says:

I’m assuming (at least hoping) that the “we hope he shows up” it’s not to be taken literally and that they’ll discuss the thing as soon as he gets back to the USA…

• Sophia says:

My understanding of this situation is they offered Chord basically the same status he had in season 2, but Chord’s management rejected the offer. “The choice is his” sounds like the status quo – as reported by Ausiello and other sources earlier – remains. Chord is currently still only signed on as an “occasional guest star” capacity for season 3. Not because the “Glee” execs wanted it that way, but because that’s all Chord’s people are willing to give them.

Either they offered him less money to do the same work (I doubt it) OR Chord’s people are trying to play hardball to get more money / a better contract. Likely a series regular contract. Except Fox and the “Glee” producers aren’t budging. It’s either continue on recurring as he has been (which makes sense since they kept Harry on recurring status for two seasons before this season 3 contract) or be an “occasional guest star” (which is all the “Glee” execs are apparently expecting from Chord’s people).

If Chord’s people are playing hardball, they’re fools and Chord should fire them. Chord is still a nobody and just getting started in this business. He’s in no position to make demands like this.

It is sounding more and more like all this is one big publicity stunt orchestrated by Chord’s people to try to force the execs to meet their demands. Get the fans in an uproar and campaign = free publicity and the fans doing their jobs for them. Except it doesn’t seem like it’s working because it looks like Chord still isn’t coming back as anything more than an “occasional guest star”. “The choice is his” means it’s Chord’s side not taking what the “Glee” execs are offering, which, as stated in the above article, is the same recurring role he had in season 2. Looks like if the Chord/Sam fans needed to send letters to anyone, it should have been Chord’s management and tell them to take the recurring offer already and stop with this foolhardy hardball business demanding more money, a better contract or whatever it is they’re holding out for.

• Chuckles says:

Finally!! Someone can do basic reading & understanding of the article!! Totally agree with what you said, that is also how I understood this and the other article.

Thank you.

36. Kate says:

Wait, wait, wait…so this article is reassuring Chord’s fans that he’ll be returning to the show next year and people are STILL bitching about Darren being promoted? Enough with the pettiness. Cheer and be happy that Sam is going to be on the show, but leave the other characters/actors out of it. Darren had nothing to do with the situation and you’re only wasting your energy being upset over his promotion because Blaine’s not going anywhere. Whether you like him or not, he has a tremendous fan base and has made a huge impact on the show.

• Meg says:

That and it appears that Chord and Darren are friends, seeing as they do stuff together off-set and were being fairly adorable during the Glee Live show. Pretty sure both Chord and Darren would be horrified by how their “fans” are acting.

• Raya says:

This. Plus, it’s not like it was a fight between Darren and Chord. Fox is too big of a network, Glee to hit of a show, for that to truly be an issue. It wasn’t “does Darren or Chord get promoted?” it was “does Darren get promoted?” and “does Chord get promoted?” Chord didn’t, but so what, plenty of cast members don’t. Also, the immediate assumption that promotion = screen time. IT DOESN’T. Mike and Jessica are pretty good proof of that. For all we know, Blaine could stay at Dalton for the entire season, and we’d only see him every few episodes.

37. Zane says:

LMAO I don’t even care these past 5 days have been horrorific I’m just glad my baby has a safe place again

38. R says:

Okay the comment about Harry is totally incomparable though because the entire first season he had what like 3 lines max? And he sings a whole song about his vocal ineptitude in Duets. Sam had multiple romances with series regulars like Quinn and Santana and can ACTUALLY sing. You can’t provide the pointless background character as a reason why a talented attractive actor isn’t signed as a main character.

• Raya says:

Harry can sing. The just choose not to have him sing, for whatever purposes. As for Chord being on as a guest star still, there are plenty of reasons they might have wanted to do this. Maybe they anticipate his character having a much smaller role, since they’ve said Mercedes, Mike, and the others are going to have larger ones. Maybe they wanted to close him into a two year contract and Chord/his people didn’t want that; maybe there was something inclusive about a musical recording contract they didn’t feel comfortable with, since Chord’s been talking about an album. (I don’t know much about that, though, so he could very well be signed with Sony&co.) There’s a whole slew of reasons they wouldn’t have wanted to promote him, and a whole slew of reasons Chord or his people didn’t accept being bumped up/locked in if it’d been offered.

• Elizabeth says:

Harry actually only had 4 lines of dialog first season. Anyway, Harry is more than earned his dues to be a regular and if Chord is able to stay on the show to earn his regular status then I will be happy about that. The problem is are we to believe this article or not -sounds like a complete turnaround from Friday’s article. There is just too much unknown at this moment to make me feel alright about Chord staying on the show.

39. Ashley says:

If you don’t like Glee, don’t watch it. Period. There’s no reason to fight with people who like different characters. For a show about acceptance, the message goes in one ear and out the other in the fandom.

It said it was Chord’s decision whether or not to show when they started filming. He’s a big boy and can make his own decision. If he likes Glee and wants to continue, he will.

Being mean about other actors/characters, namely Harry/Mike and Darren/Blaine, doesn’t promise Chord will come back.

Chill.

40. Raya says:

As people fight back and forth about him in these comments, Chord is thinking about going to see the new Transformers.

/Information that is vital

• B says:

Don’t forget he just had lunch! I was worried about that, tbh.

• Raya says:

But did he REALLY have lunch? Since we’ve been implying so much meaning from his tweets recently, what he REALLY meant by “getting his lunch on” is that he is currently working on developing a line of clothing related to/made of ‘lunch’ and he was putting it on. (/I don’t know what I’m doing anymore stop me sorry aha)

• Meg says:

I saw that a little while ago. Chord is smarter than we are. :P

41. S. from A. says:

yeah, no surprise at all *rolls eyes* just all about the money, isnt it?

42. Morgan says:

I love all of them!!! I want them all to come back!!! Chord just needs to get over it, come back, and be happy that he is a part of such a great show!

43. Raya says:

Since we’re already on the money topic and the whole “WHY DARREN AND NOT CHORD?” thing, might as well say that… yeah, you know what? Darren brought in a LOT MORE MONEY for Glee this year than Chord did. Hell, Darren brought in a lot more than a lot of them, because his songs sold well. (Even as a huge Darren fan, I’ll be the first to admit they gave certain numbers just for the sake of being able to sell copies–Bills, Bills, Bills especially, though it still looks like something plot-related was cut there.) Darren’s got incredibly intelligent people behind him, so as soon as he caught a bit of press, they pushed him all over the place. There was a week in April where he flew back and forth across the country doing press event after press event. He put himself out there, and showed them that he’s willing to do whatever they want, which is very desirable. So there’s a lot of incentive for the suits to hire him. The same goes for Harry–he’s been building up his relationship with them over the past two years, and is closely linked to LXD, which opened on Glee tour and does things with SYTYCD. Incentives for keeping him happy. From the way it sounds, there simply wasn’t that incentive with Chord, and there weren’t any suits behind the scenes pushing. It’s not that they don’t like or want Chord, there just wasn’t anything in it for them to bump him up. It’s not unfair or wrong. That is how the industry works.

44. Spencer says:

Oh, wow. Ryan Murphy falling back on his word AGAIN!!!! Personally, i think Sam’s story is over. He’s ok, but the only reason I liked him was hearing songs make fun of him.

45. Sammy says:

I agree with Ashley. You people need to learn a lot of lessons in acceptance and hate. You think bitching about Darren/Blaine here is going to make any difference in Chord staying or not? Nope, none at all. You think bashing is going to make a difference, sorry but no. All it does is create even more fighting, and you are just wasting your time. It’s time to pull of your big girl/boy panties,deal with it, grow up, and stop acting like 12 year old’s.

46. mykey716 says:

First, no one ever said Chord was fired. However, by being a ‘guest star’ writers don’t need to include him in every or any episodes, nor do they need to write any ‘Sam-centric’ eps.
    I don’t understand why we keep making any comparison to Harry Shum or his being on the show for 2 years before being picked up as a regular. The 1st year he was relegated to the background and often referred to as ‘the other Asian’ Then they focused on his dancing and brought up the fact he cannot sing (again, I ask, why is he in a Glee club???) And to give Harry his props, he’s actually got better abs than Chord does! Chord does sing better than Cory(Finn) and yet show doesn’t seem to know what to do with Chord (suddenly homeless and living in a hotel room? Really?) Maybe he’ll get less quantity in exchange for quality??
    I won’t get into the Darren vs Chord argument…I don’t think it has any impact on the show…plus I like them both (altho I’d like to see Chord get more song time/better storyline)

47. Joey says:

Are you seriously saying that it is Chord decision to if he wants to stays on Glee.

Are you nuts! Chord had an interview in MTV last May saying that he was pretty much excited about Season 3 and the songs he wants to sing on the show.

RIB AND FOX was not hesitant to cut him off because they were thinking that he is the least favorite character. Now, think twice because the petition will not stop and more people are upset.

48. random says:

Darren got promoted before Chord because people LOVE him, okay? From what I’ve seen, there wasn’t that big of a positive reaction to Sam. Not saying Darren is better (they are both great actors), but I’m just saying – I think – Blaine’s character is more interesting than Sam’s. And plus, they wanted to latch onto Darren so they could keep Klaine alive. If they do. I hope they do. That show is like musical chairs when it comes to relationships. I’m a hardcore Gleek and I’ll admit that. But, I’m happy they promoted Darren (and Harry). I’m just saying I wouldn’t have missed Sam at all. Also, to the people hating on Kurt/Chris: His storyline is amazing and is the most interesting out of all of them. Chris is an amazing actor and talented singer. He’s amazing. Haters gonna hate.

49. Kenny says:

Ugh.

I’m just adding my 2 cents here because I’ve seen it said so much.

Blaine is NOT a Kurt prop. Just because Blaine is not a member of New Directions, doesn’t mean that he is suddenly only connected to the show through Kurt. If Blaine and Kurt were to separate, I would be emotionally attached enough to his character to want to continue seeing his character progress and move on. I would still want him around, regardless of his boyfriend status to Kurt, and I am not the only one who feels this way. This tell me that Blaine is much more than a Kurt prop. I think a lot of people get away with saying that he is simply a prop because he is not under the “safety” of being a member of New Directions. If he was a ND member, Blaine would be much more unconditionally loved/acceptanced than he is right now, simply because would would be protected by being a part of the family. There are much more “boring” characters that get away with being boring, simply because they are already accepted and a part of the ND family.

If Sam became Kurt’s boyfriend in Duets, for example, would people be complaining that he is only a Kurt prop? No, because Sam is under the protection of being a member of New Directions. People seem to love (or at least accept) the New Direction members fairly unconditionally, while any other characters have to work harder to receive the same unconditional love/acceptance. For example, Jesse St. James has been a prick to Rachel, yet he gets called out on it WAY more than Finn’s double crossing and cheating, and I can only determine this to be because this crazy fandom forgives New Directions members much more easily. NOT FAIR.

Anyways, after that little rant…

I’m sad to see Chord go. He’s a cutie, and has a fairly nice voice. But on the other hand, I believe that all the people involved in Glee are making the best choices for the show. No decisions are going to be made lightly. This is the last season with the original cast, and I believe that with the addition of the new writers, we are going to have the best season to come! I fully trust what they are planning to do, so I don’t think that lessening Sam’s character would be a bad decision, if that’s what the plot and writing calls for. All decisions made are going to be well thought out and made with careful planning. I trust the cast and Glee writers to make this the best season it can be. SO STAY CALM AND TRUST THE WRITERS.

50. meggie says:

Obviously either Voldemort or Umbridge is behind all the negativity toward Darren Criss…

• maru says:

jajajajajaa you make me laugth so hard jajaja it’s totally awesom and darren to so…DAMN THAT G.L.E.E., THEY’RE ALWAYS MAKING TWISTED ABOMINATIONS OF EVERYTHING. jajaja only for who can understand it