White Collar Preview: Tim DeKay Reveals How to Woo a Sexy 'Black Widow'

In what series creator Jeff Eastin “one of the funniest episodes we’ve ever done,” this Tuesday’s White Collar (USA Network, 9/8c) tasks the FBI with the case of a “black widow” – a woman who marries wealthy men and then profits when they are killed under suspicious circumstances.

“The only way we think we can [catch her] is to go undercover as a potential husband for her,” previews Tim DeKay, whose (happily married) FBI agent Peter Burke joins Neal (Matt Bomer) and Jones (Sharif Atkins) as man candy at a charity bachelor auction.

Casting News: True Blood Stud Gets Collar‘d

Much to everyone’s surprise, Peter catches the eye of black widow Selena (played by Twin Peaks‘ Mädchen Amick), forcing him to “date” her until he can get the goods to prove she’s really a murderess. “It was fun because Peter certainly did not want to be picked, and he doesn’t think he’s going to be,” says DeKay. “We all assume that Neal will be picked.”

To find out what it takes to pull a “black widow” into your web, TVLine spoke to DeKay, who gets to show off his impressive comedy chops during the episode, titled “Veiled Threat.”

BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION | When it comes to wooing a lady, “Peter is way out of his element,” DeKay reports with a laugh. “I don’t think Peter was ever much of a dating kind of guy. But when he has his eyes set on a target…,” needless to say, you better watch out. While Jones tries a “Please everyone” approach (with his sweet-and-suave cookie mogul cover) and Neal blows every speed date save for the one with Selena, Peter’s awkward but honest approach trumps Neal’s considerable charm. “The thing about Peter is, he says, ‘Oh, I don’t flirt,’ and yet…. There’s a confidence to him that I think he allows to come out at certain times, which maybe shows a bit of suaveness,” his portrayer offers.

GET ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS | As smart, confident and determined as Peter might be, he’s been happily out of the dating game for a while. Thus, flirting advice is definitely required, and the unlikely source doling it out is his wife Elizabeth (Tiffani Thiessen), who despite being concerned about his safety — and being a little jealous! — wants to show off her man. Says DeKay, “Elizabeth likes the fact that Peter has to do a little bit of flirting and win the competition when it comes to wooing women.” Which is not to say the missus is cool when things between Peter and Selena… progress.

Could White Collar‘s Diana Be Heading for a Wedding?

SHOW HER YOUR MOVES … ON THE DANCE FLOOR | One of the most memorable scenes of the episode – and one of DeKay’s favorites – comes when Peter asks Selena to dance, and the music suddenly switches to a tango. Rather than making up an excuse to back out of the dance, Peter takes hold of Selena and launches into an impressive display of footwork. But “it’s all smoke and mirrors,” reveals the actor. “We only rehearsed during lunch one day. [The choreographer] was able to give us some moves that made us look like we knew what we were doing, but in actuality it had been since grad school since I’ve done any kind of formal dancing like that.”

LEAVE HER WANTING MORE | Another memorable scene for DeKay: “When I go back to [Selena's] apartment” – yeah, the tango worked – “and I have to get out of that because you can tell that she wants the night to last into the morning.” As Peter’s charmed the dress right off his mark, DeKay got some playful ribbing from his co-stars during filming of the episode. “Everybody’s like, ‘Ooh, look at Peter! Oh, Tim, you got the moves! Fancy,’” he happily recalls. “Everybody was having a good time teasing me.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on White Collar Baby Talk, and More

White Collar fans, how excited are you to see Peter go undercover as a rich bachelor? Do you think he has what it takes to out-woo Neal? Watch a video preview below:

1. MJ says:

I am so ready for this episode! It sounds awesome!

2. Alex says:

Sounds like a fun episode. Peter is at his most hilarious when he’s out of his element.

3. Valerie says:

Peter as the fish out of water is the most fun every time. Tim DeKay’s comedy chops have been proven over the years from Seinfeld to Scrubs, My Name Is Earl and New Adventures of Old Christine. I just love this man! And of course the bromance with Bomer just makes the show the most delectable on TV :) Can’t wait!

4. TheDude says:

I really hate the whole Nazi Treasure storyline. It kills me to think that Neal is about to throw away everything he’s done over the past few years to try and get the big score. It’s as if he’s learned nothing from all the idiot criminals that he has taken down.

5. el says:

I LOVE White Collar. I admit I had some doubts about the stolen treasure, but I think it’s been better then ever this season. More use of Peter like this, more Diana and Jones… love it.

6. PJ says:

Have to disagree with el – there’s already too much of all the secondary characters for my liking. I started watching this show for Neal, and for Neal and Peter, but increasingly episodes seem to be focused on the supporting characters rather than Neal’s journey. Soon I’m gonna start deleting eps focusing on those other characters from my DVR without even watching them.

• CJ says:

While I’m definitely a fan of the relationship between Neal and Peter, and would happily watch them talk about the weather for hours, I think you’re short-changing the show by not giving the supporting characters a chance. Even in this season’s Diana- and Mozzie-centric episodes, Peter and Neal have had their shining moments.

• Afsana says:

I completely agree with PJ. Neal is the reason why I watch this show and the bromance is a huge plus. But they are ruining the fun by showing more Peter and other characters. Watching Peter’s tango is not fun. Peter’s this type of activities seem so forced. Day by day, they are reducing Neal’s screen-time. I so miss season 1.

7. Cass says:

I love this show! And Peter is my favorite character, so I’m super excited for tonight’s episode. I for one am happy to see some more focus on the supporting cast, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of Elizabeth in this ep as well; but it always comes back to the Peter-Neal relationship. Always will. And that’s where they are golden. Let the Tim DeKay comedy begin! (And I loooove TVLine. Love. Especially when you post awesome interviews.)

8. Michelle says:

Check out the killer tune Sweat by miss mercury on tonight’s episode!

9. Afsana says:

I completely agree with you. Neal is the reason why I watch this show and the bromance is a huge plus. But they are ruining the fun by showing more Peter and other characters. Watching Peter’s tango is not fun. Peter’s this type of activities seem so forced. Day by day, they are lessening Neal’s screen-time. I so miss season 1.

10. Justin says:

El is absolutely right. While the Peter-Neal bromance is cool, this show is more than just them. Mozzie, Diane, Jones, even Elizabeth are great characters who should get their chances to shine. I loved the recent Mozzie and Diane-centric episodes. I’m also looking forward to this episode because when Peter is taken out of his comfort zone, it can be hilarious to watch.

11. VentusAstrum says:

I am so looking forward to tonight’s episode for once. And that is because the spotlight is being focused on Peter. I love me some hot alpha lawman and Tim definitely plays Peter well in that regard. And yes, he definitely has some comedy chops on him!

Having said that, I also must agree with what TheDude said. The dubbed in line about the Nazi loot not being tainted is just another example of how cavalier Jeff Eastin is being in rewriting history to suit himself for the storyline “reset” he’s enacted. MILLIONS of Russians were murdered by the Nazis in their effort to get to those Russian museums and ransack them. The only excuse I can possibly wrap my brain around as to why Mr. Eastin is ignoring this is because since they weren’t Jewish, nobody should care. Um, YES, people should care. That loot is BloodPlunder any way you slice it, Mr. Eastin. You can’t wish that fact away with your dubbed in lines.

As for the special episodes focusing on the supporting characters, I say focus away on them. As long as Jeff Eastin is going to persist in sticking with his BloodPlunder storyline, I would prefer that the Neal/Peter bromance scenes be kept to a minimum. And, to that end, I would also prefer that Mozzie be kept as far from Peter & El as possible.

• tzikeh says:

I am 99% with you on all of this, but I want to correct a factual error (though you may have simply been using hyperbole to get your point across). 500,000 Russians died during WWII, not millions. It doesn’t make it less awful, but the minute anyone making an argument is inaccurate, it tends to give people an “out” that lets them ignore everything else that they say.

I agree re: the plot, though. It is abominable and obscene, and making it art from museums doesn’t change a thing. It’s Nazi plunder, and repatriation is the only acceptable response. Neal is a thief, a forger, and a con-man, but there’s no way he has no conscience about this kind of thing. The whole storyline taints the show.

• Karina says:

You seriously think that in 5 years of the morst terrible war in European history only 500,000 Russians died? You must be kidding.

Sorry to disappoint you but Russians lost more than 20 millions during WW2. Hundreds of thousands died during battle of Kursk (the greatest tank battle of all time) alone.

12. choirtime says:

I wish each section of the season was longer!!! I hate waiting for the rest of the season, I go into White Collar withdrawals.

13. VonnieS says:

Loved this episode! Funniest ever and Tim Dekay is fabulous. Started by loving Neal but now I’m firmly in Peter’s court, also. there’s just something riveting about him. Can’t imagine one without the other–they play off of each other so wonderfully,and can’t wait to see the relationshops develop with all the characters. Peter’s “tango” blew me away! and poor Neal came in last in the auction, poor baby, loved the reactions! Great acting & great writing Jeff Eastin. This is just THE BEST show on TV!

14. e says:

love this show? i guess, i personally can’t wait to see where the nazi plot goes and like it or hate it, you are all still watching, right? so i guess it can’t be that abominable or obscene. obscene, really? are you going to start a one man crusade to return every valuable object ever stolen throughout time to their rightful owners? are we now going to pretend that white collar has some moral obligation to right the wrongs of the nazi’s? last time i checked this was a fictional tv show, way to go with the big words though, we are all very impressed

15. Helen says:

I loved this show! It was so great seeing Neal and Peter friends again as in the first 2 seasons instead of the sneaking around and distrust of the previous Season 3 episodes. I like excitement and a little tension, and I like a good story, but I don’t like the Treasure story. If it had ended at Adler’s death, it would have been fine, but to ruin the relationship between Neal and Peter after 2 great seasons is wrong. Even Mozzie isn’t his usual fun and quirkey character when it involves the Treasure. I think what makes Neal and Peter so good together is that they are nice guys both on screen and off-screen and it comes through when they act that they like each other. That rarely happens on TV and it should be appreciated by the writers and not destroyed.