TVLine Items: Glee's Chord-Cutting Riles Actor's Fans, Lohan Talks About Dancing Gig, and More

As first reported by TVLine on Friday, Glee‘s Powers The Be have decided not to pick up Chord Overstreet‘s series regular option for the coming Season 3 — and boy, the young actor’s fans are upset.

Supporters of both Overstreet and his trouty-pouted character, Sam Evans, immediately took to Twitter to voice their frustrations, ultimately launching #DontCutTheChord, an organized movement to keep the McKinley High junior around this season.

As of Monday morning, two separate campaigns were afoot to show the Glee bosses that these Chord-cutting objectees mean business: The first encourages fans to buy Overstreet’s rendition of “Billionaire” on iTunes, which over the holiday weekend shot up from #64 to #5 on the series’ iTunes charts. The second effort is a simple Twitition, which thus far has collected nearly 11,000 signatures.

Though it doesn’t seem to be much consolation to fans, TVLine reported that Overstreet could still appear as an occasional Glee guest star.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Bad news, Dancing With the Stars fans: No, the ABC reality staple hasn’t been canceled. It’s worse. According to the New York Post, Lindsay Lohan’s mom, Dina, is going around saying that she is in talks to hit the parquet next season. Go ahead, try to curb your enthusiasm.

• Fox will preview Simon Cowell’s The X Factor prior to the MLB All-Star Game on Tuesday, July 12 8/7c, per Variety.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.‘s daughter, Kathleen Kennedy, has been cast opposite Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, and Olivia Munn in HBO’s cable news-based pilot More As This Story Develops, the New York Post reports.

• ESPN is now the home to Wimbeldon, having closed a 12-year deal that ends NBC’s 43-year run with the tennis championship. In addition to presenting all coverage live, effective with the 2012 tourney, ESPN plans to air taped programming on ABC during the weekend as well as make matches available via broadband (ESPN3) and mobile apps (Watch ESPN).

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Cory says:

Thank you so much for mentioning the Don’t Cut the Chord campaign! You’re awesome.

• MissMel says:

I don’t do the twitter thing but I would gladly sign an online petition. Do you know if one exists?

2. jrs says:

C’mon Sam!!!!! We all need a little Sam in our lives. Hope the campaign convinces the powers that be that we need to keep Sam on-screen.

3. Jacy says:

Thank you for mentioning the campaign! I hope everyone participates(:

4. AnnaStella says:

So so sad for Trouty Mouth… I thought his mouth was super hot. And, WOW, yay for his fans!! That is fighting for your idol… I hope he knows what you are doing for him… I’ll miss Sam next season… I think his character was super kind and cute. It’s really a pity.

5. Zane says:

Thank you for mentioning the campaign! Sammites and Unichords are fighting hard at this very minute!
    The song costs only 1.29$ and singing the twitition takes 5 seconds. Please help out our cause!

6. Amanda says:

Meg, you are a wonderful person. Thank you so, so much for helping out and spreading the word. This article is perfect and it certainly won’t go unappreciated! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Everyone, go buy billionaire, sign the twitition, and tweet #dontcuttheChord! We would love to see our favorite Trouty Mouth as a regular next season!

7. Karen says:

We need more Sam in season 3. He’s the only reason to keep watching this show. He’s such a likable, adorable character. WHY would they cut him? There are so many other characters who are so much more boring than him!

• Karen says:

Karen I’m sure you didn’t mean to but by saying “there are so many other characters who are so much more boring than him” you are actually saying that Sam’s character is boring because others are more boring than him. Unfortunately whether you meant to or not I have to agree with the sentiment. Sam’s character IS boring. As a point of conflict between Finn and Quinn his character has been a complete failure. That story line has gone nowhere. Being homeless also doesn’t work because homelessness (as terrible as it is) is really depressing. Its not the same as fighting for gay rights or self esteem issues resulting from weight or other such things. There are no personal demons or bad guys to overcome for the crowd to cheer when we’re talking about homelessness; there’s just poverty. And the producers have seen this. I like the guy; he’s talented but I have to agree with the producers on this one if they’re going to make a better TV show.

• Not-Karen says:

I gotta disagree Karen#2- fans have clearly demonstrated that Sam’s story is something they’re highly invested in.

I think for Glee Producers to turn around and say, Wow, People really care about this character we’ve created. We’re going to show we listen by making Chord a regular and capitalising on that story and fansupport..

Wow. That would be something. It would be the ultimate form of ‘Yeah, we actually care what you think’, from Glee, which has a really strong message at its heart that follows along those lines.

*shrug* I kinda think everyone should be allowed to have their happy ending in this case.

• Brianca says:

No agree with Karen. His character while charming, just really never clicked with the energy of the show. I never had a problem with him but the cast is already crowded with so many characters that I rather cut a new addition, rather than seeing the originals (why I watched the show) get drowned under all these new people especially in their last year where they should be focused on. We’ve already heard they are doing a way with musical guest stars, cutting Lauren’s part way back, and now Chord’s, so I’m hoping that will tighten up alot of what was wrong in season 2.

Fans can complain all they want, but if the decision benefits the shows storytelling, I’m all for it. I want the original ND members to have every last moment in the spotlight, since after this season they are gone forever.

• Jojo says:

I completely agree with you. I do love Sam, but there’s no character development at all, and he rarely gets the spotlight.

8. @lauhale says:

DONT CUT THE CHORD im so proud of my fandom. Here in brazil we are surpoting sam/chord. Love him

9. Cin says:

Thank you for helping spread the word on the campaign, Megan. Chord Overstreet won a great many fans in Season 2 of Glee, and sometimes I think he gets overshadowed in the press by Darren or the original cast members. But he, along with Sam Evans, is very loved. I can’t imagine the show without him in it now, and I don’t want to. #dontcutthechord

10. Jo says:

Online petitions are useless

• Andy says:

Seems pessimistic :/ Who knows if anyone will listen, but personally I think that business decisions are best addressed with numbers.

These fans have shown, 1) that there is a huge base of support for the actor personally, and 2) that he’s valuable in monetary terms, through this itunes thing.

Let’s be honest: it’s often got nothing to do with which character sings a song and everything to do with what song it is. Darren Criss hit it bigtime with “Teenage Dream”, but (and I’m sorry) the evidence isn’t there to show that his success has very much to do with him personally.

Now, I’m not hating on Darren Criss, I think he’s great- but I personally noticed a jarring change of general direction of the show after Teenage Dream was so successful, and now they’re cutting Chord Overstreet (who was never given any particularly mainstream songs to sing, with the exception of Billionaire) and upgrading others.

Now, imagine this scenario: Glee decides to upgrade Chord after all. How do you think the fans will respond?

With ANY song chord sings, the fans will show how grateful they are that he’s on the show by buying his recordings in absolute droves.

Hell, if Glee *doesn’t* renew him, and he goes on to make his own album – what do you think will happen then??

I think if he got his own stuff out quickly enough he’d see a whole lot of independant success – which arguably is a lot more valuable to him personally than anything he gets from a show that continuously ridicules his physical appearance and then dumps him arbitrarily.

Anyway, all i’m saying is: the support is there, the political goodwill is there for the taking; there’s no reason Glee producers shouldn’t come back after the holiday and say, We care what you think, we’re going to upgrade Chord – not only because of all this support for him, but because, hey, his character does have potential and the guy IS talented.

//my several cents.

11. Sarah El says:

Sam Evans is a character too developed for Glee, apparently. He doesn’t easily fit into stereotypes so I guess they couldn’t handle him.

12. carla says:

It’s just such bad writing end the season on “Oh Sam and Mercedes are dating!” to “Yeah, we’re retconning that”. Ugh. That’s a record even for Glee. I don’t think I can’t get past such horrible continuity, the writers should respect the viewers at least a little.

13. Sivat says:

I don’t want to see Sam again. Just say he moved away over the summer.

14. Mike says:

Man, I’d hate to see what would happen if they got a rid of a character the fans really liked. By my count Sam/Chord is only 8th or 9th most popular.

• Joey says:

8th or 9th most popular character?

Tell me how would you explain that Chord is always trending worldwide every month?

march: trouty mouth
      april : chord
      may: chord’s new haircut
      july: chord’s not being regular

You’re referring to a guy whose always been trending worldwide,
      whose trending in 13 different countries..

yeah, i guess you don’t noticed of figures.

There wouldn’t be any Glee Fans uproar if he isn’t very popular.
      He was in 371 articles.

15. Maria says:

Like I said before, I’m glad that Sam’s leaving because it became clear that the writers didn’t know what to do with his character. All he did was ride on the female characters like a bike.

• stenofifiafa says:

DO the writers know what to do with any characters? ‘Cause it seems pretty clear to me that they have no idea. Even with their golden boys and girls, they don’t know what to do, how to do, how to make it realistic and concrete. They just randomly make thing happend. Puff. Everything is so random and disconnected ever with the other characters. Actually, now that I think about it, in the last episodes Sam’s story was the only one that made some sense.

• dash says:

pretty much the writers didn’t know what to write not about him
      but about the whole storylines after they broke up him with quinn.

finn became a douchebag

and quinn became the worst character

16. cj says:

i think im the only person commenting on here who is more surprised by ESPN acquiring airing rights to Wimbledon. i know a lot of people have cable nowadays, but for the many that still dont and may never be able to afford it, i find this very sad. when i was a child, before we got cable, i loved watching Wimbledon on NBC. i wasn’t allowed to watch soap operas, nor was i interested in most other boring daytime fare so Wimbledon was a special treat. its just nostalgia, but i want others youngsters to have the same sense of wonderment and fun, and they shouldn’t have to be able to pay for cable to do it!

• Erica says:

I get where you are coming from with this but they are going to be showing some matches on ABC probably tape delayed like NBC has done in the past. That was one of the big problems NBC is tape delaying major matches. At least this way you can watch them live if you want to. I personally am thrilled because ESPNs commenting crew is miles above NBC.

17. stenofifiafa says:

What the???!!!! No Trouty mouth?! Is this a joke?!?! I loved the kid!!! No way I’m watching if there’s no Sam… he was almost as funny as Sue & Britt! C’mon! And the kid was so sweet and I was very curios to see what was going on between him and mercedes. Not to mention I WANT to see how his familiy’s SL will turn out. C’mon! That was, like, a real life realistic and actually possible story line…People could relate to him and his family. At least I know people who did.
    That’s just crazy. Cutting Trouty Mouth. What are the writers thinking?! Well, whatever it is you are thinking, dear writers, stop. It’s wrong. Take a deep breath and think again, thank you.
    What’s the slogan? #DontCutTheChord? Well, where do I sign for them not to cut it? Good job Chord’s fan. I like what you are doing.

18. me says:

CUT THE CHORD! Cut it into multiple pieces, send him back to wherever it is he came from, or further. Send him to some place like the Eastern Europe where we’ll never have to see him again.

• Stefy says:

Please, please, tell me you are 7 years old, please. ‘Cause if you are any older it’s a disaster… I won’t explain why ’cause you could feel offended… but, yeah, you HAVE to be 7… the fact that, instead of writing a name, you choose “Me” to identify yourself it’s an indication of the fact that you are probably still in the “ego-phase”. So, it’s ok.

• me says:

Or, maybe I don’t want to give my information to a site like this? Would you have preferred I use a name like magnoliafan?

• Stefy says:

It would have shown some sort of imagination,at least. And knowing it was a message from a kid would have at least justified the immaturity of the post… But,since I’m not up for a fight (and since in my country it’s def bed time) better if we leave it like that..

• MissMel says:

@me: LOL! I would have LOVED it if you had posted under the name magnoliafan.

• fail says:

The maturity level of Klaine fans, it’s amazing really. They also keep failing to see the very message of Glee from all their Blarren stanning.

• dana says:

CUT THE CHORD? you gotta be kidding me?

you got a lot of brain damage that needs a lot of fixing.

19. Liam says:

Yes! Don’t cut Sam/Chord off of Glee. He was one of the characters that was really good this year.
    As I’ce said: If Chord goes, I’ll go to. This is bull.

20. Petra says:

I won’t miss Sam. I didn’t connect with his character at all, not like with others on the show.

21. Michael says:

I think it’s a shame Overstreet is being let go mostly because of how many characters could potentially be graduating this season and how it was hinted that Sam was a sophomore last season.

22. denise says:

Dudes, Sam is still in season 3. He’s just not a regular. I don’t see the big deal. It will give him some space to work on some individual projects that way. People need to chill the fcuk out.

23. Brenda says:

First of all, who said Chord was not at all returning to Glee? He’s just not a regualr, like he WASN’T in season two. And it’s HILARIOUS to think that some ‘fans’ believe they can save him buy buying his music on Itunes, you ‘fans’ do know the only thing your doing is putting money in Travie McCoys and FOX’s pocket, right? Glee and most importantly FOX isnt going yo throw away money, they did group analysis and tests and decided they COULD CUT THE CORD. Because the raw truth is that he just wasnt that likeable/popular with the majority of fans. 11,000 people out of the millions that watch Glee signed that petition, thats WEAK!

Oh, and to most of who please stop pretending you were interested in Sam and Mercedes ‘future’, BULL, you didnt care nor want it until you heard watermellon mouth was leaving. Save the crap and CUT THE CHORD! ;)

24. Mike says:

This was always about Chord, but for me it was also about Sam. I know what it’s like to start out as this happy kid who just wants to be loved and to have everyone hurt you, turn on you, betray you, and then the worst possible thing happens and you’re 17 and you find yourself supporting your entire family for whatever reasons, and you have to sacrifice your childhood, your life, your ability to be happy, sometimes even your very soul and there isn’t a single person who understands and looks at you like you’re the idiot. Sam Evans was the first fictional representation of myself that I have ever seen and it kills me that in a show that within the first 20 minutes of the first episode tells you it is all about joy that this character will never get a happy ending. There are so many people out there in the world who won’t get that happy ending, RIB could have at least given it to Sam.

25. Jo says:

The only issue is, online petitions and things never work. Look at the beiber thing? No beiber on glee was twittered, a petition was made, and we still had to sit through an hour of the turds pre-teen music. As much as I think Chord should stay for at least guest roles, it would be better for fans to make phone calls to the right people in FOX, write letters and emails to a person(s), getting people to do the same. Buying the song just gives them extra money, it doesn’t do anything else.

Also, it has never really been said he would bea regular. Harry was mentioned last November, same as Darren Criss like the day after NBK, but nothing was ever mentioned about Chord.

Either way, if you want him on the show still, get all the people on the online petition to be physically active- bombard people with letters and phone calls, make yourself heard. Twitter and online petitions only does so much – it causes fan wars and juvinille behaviour on Tumblr and Twitter. Be active! Not a loser.

26. kate says:

i dont want sam/chord to leave, he’s the reason i watch glee!!!!!!!!!!!! please stay on glee!!!!!!!! #DontCutTheChord.

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!

27. Actor says:

After you have decided that acting is going to be a long-term career choice you will want to find an acting school that fits your lifestyle and needs. For many people, school will require additional time away from your family. For others, they will be able to attend acting school full-time. These are just a couple of areas that people will need to evaluate when considering a school when trying to become an actor.