Law & Order: SVU Scoop: Stephanie March, Diane Neal Heading Back to Court

Two of Law & Order: SVU‘s most popular ADAs — Stephanie March and Diane Neal — are headed back to the show this fall.

An SVU spokesperson confirms that the pair will return for “an undetermined number of episodes” during SVU‘s upcoming 13th season.

The news comes a week after the show tapped Danny Pino and Kelli Giddish to help fill the detective void left by Chris Meloni. Leading lady Mariska Hargitay, meanwhile, will appear in all 22 episodes, although her Benson character is expected to segue into more of a supervisory role.

Thoughts? Are you less inclined to cancel your SVU season pass now that March and Neal are returning? Hit the comments!

Want SVU Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop

1. Isabella says:

SVU is over for me. Imean, I really like Stephanie and Diane but without Chris and Mariska SVU won’t be the same.

2. Kelly says:

I absolutely LOVE this show. It’s actually inspirational to me. I agree with many of the other posters that it won’t be the same with out Stabler. My inspiration from this show though is Olivia (Hargitay, so I will continue to watch and see how it goes. This show has actually inspired me to want to help REAL rape victims in my area by volunteering for a local rape center. Also, I like that the 2 ADA’s are coming back. I did like both of them!

3. Fortesque says:

I’m glad Stephanie March is coming back. She was my favourite since the beginning. I hope she will have more tv time than 11th season. I mean, she was not the main focus not even in the 4th season, but her character was better respected and she was more present and involved while resolving the cases

I’m sad too Christopher Meloni is going away. He made the story of this show, but those things always happens in long terms shows. Maybe he wanted to fulfill other projects.

4. Michael says:

I’m glad they both are coming back cuz the show has really taken a bad turn. There where some good episoldes when they had Soyna Paxton as the ADA but after she was killed off it went back down. Not a but fan of Chris Meloni and as long as they don’t bring in Anthony Anderson i’ll keep watching..

5. B says:

Been watchin this show for years. Sad to see Christopher Meloni go, because together Elliot and Olivia made the show. They MADE it. But hey, at least they’re bringin back my 2 favorite ADAs! Cabot strictly follows the letter of the law while Novak finds the loopholes and shoves them down your throat. Best ADAs in SVU history.

6. Bill R says:

I can’t wait for SVU this season! I think that with Chris Meloni gone [he will be missed to some degree], and Mariska in a supervisory capacity, the show will shine for more than “Benson/Stabler hour! I love both of them as Detectives, but enough is enough already! I’m really happy they tapped an enormous talent like Kelli Giddish to play a new detective, she has more talent and personality in her little finger than anyone on SVU has had since the beginning! I love Mariska but having her get promoted is the natural progression in life anyway! If I worked as hard as she has [supposedly as a detective for the SVU], and I wasn’t promoted by now, I’d be pretty pissed off, thats what turns sane people into psychpaths! Good decision to finally shake up SVU, it’s about time, and should be the strongest episodes they’ve aired in tears. Welcome back to the best 2 Da’s the show ever had!

7. Andrew says:

This news has made me giddy with joy. From the moment I had found out Meloni would not be returning, I said that either Stephanie March or Diane Neal would have to return if the show wanted any chance of good ratings and survival at all. But now, BOTH are returning! I’m curious to see how this will work (alternating episodes, both working together on same case/episode), but it still delights me! And I’m curious about Cabot’s time in Africa (if you remember, she left part-way through season 11 to prosecute sex crimes in Africa). Yay!!!!

8. Jen says:

I love the Cabot character but SVU is nothing without Benson and Stabler. Mariska Hargitay’s intensity makes this show for me. I’m glad she’s coming back but I hope the rumors of a reduced role for Benson this season are unfounded. She is the one person that, if absent, would make the show unwatchable for me! Not to mention that the show has given her an amazing platform – millions strong – for her foundation. They do great work and should not underestimate the light SVU helps to shine on the issues of exploitation and abuse.

9. Aimee says:

I’ll only watch svu if Diane Neal or Stephanie March is on it. SVU isnt the same without it’s favorite adas.

10. Bunny says:

I am so mad that Chris is gone I love to watch the two of them together I dont think the show will be the same those two new ones have big shoes to fill

11. evaløvsjø says:

I am superhappy because Diane Neal returns,Novak the best ADA:)but also happy that Steph will be back too..I will not miss Stabler at all..

12. Hannah says:

YES YES I STINKING LOVE CASEY!!!!!! XD XD XD XD

13. Ginny Woolf says:

There can be no better news: Alex, the ice princess, is back! I have been in love with Alex from the first time that I saw her. And with Stabler gone (very sad), I would love to see the progression of a sexual tension between Alex and Liv. I have always sensed something more than a simple “professional friend” relationship between the two. In the “Loss” episode, a deeper relationship was palpable in Liv’s response to Alex’s shooting and later, when Liv discovered that Alex was alive. Ideally, a subtle, almost sotto voce escalation of a sexual tension emerges over the course of the season, a barely discernible subtext to a critically important professional, working relationship. Anything more would be far, far too much. And by the end of the season, Alex and Liv should at the very most find themselves, each independently of the other, vaguely questioning aspects of their identities that may or may not exist and that are, as yet, unexplored. And ultimately, unanswered and unresolved. I love it! How delicious! Dick Wolf, give me a call!

• Orlando says:

Ginny – You know that I speak from experience – brilliant, absolutely brilliant. (But, honestly, ice princess?) Dick Wolf, give this woman a call! Now!!

• Ginny Woolf says:

Orlando honey – thanks so much for the kind words. But yes, honestly, ice princess! As a callow youth, you wouldn’t be questioning the ice princess characterization. Really, sweetie, you’ve been around forever; your mind just isn’t as sharp as it used to be. You may have a room of your own but, every now and then you have to get out; fresh air is good for you. Let me help. When Alex wears glasses and shoots that piercing, bone chilling stare at some ne’er-do-well, there can be no doubt: Alexandra Cabot is the consummate ice princess. No doubt whatsoever.

• Joyce James says:

It’s interesting how many people are into the Alex and Olivia thing! I love your ideas, Ginny, but for some reason I really want that to happen between Alex and Casey! Or maybe Liv, Casey and Alex can just have a drunken night of a super hot threesome! Okay now I’m just getting carried away by fantasies, but although Chris Meloni won’t be back this season (I’m still holding onto hope that he’ll come back eventually) having Stephie and Diane does make me really really really happy. SVU has never even gotten close to finding ADA’s as good as those two fierce gals!

14. OperaDiva2011 says:

I’m really happy that at least Novak and Cabot will be back. I like the idea that the show is trying to get back to it’s grittiness of the first few season, focussing on sex crimes and crimes against children, instead of TV stunts for ratings. But it won’t be the same without Chris and Rishka. Hopefully he’ll have a change of heart, or maybe now that they aren’t working together, Elliott and Olivia can finally be together!

As for Alex and Casey, maybe I’m alone here, but I honestly think it would be the hottest thing in the world if the two of them got together. Two strong, professional females turning to each other for a little stress relief? I’m all about the Alex/Casey ship!

15. hawaii bob says:

aloha STEPHANIE M is sooo HOT as Miss Cabot! Sexy corporate barrister sense of style in nylons & pumps & outfits. I’d LOVE 2 lay a put a run in her nylons kiss on her : ) mahalo aloha hb

16. Chase says:

I will certainally watch

17. erika says:

what is happening since Elliot Stabler is off the show?? and where to next? SVU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT HIM!!!

18. KATHY JONES says:

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED THAT ELLIOTT STABBLER HAS LEFT LAW AND ORDER. IT IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT HIM. EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE ADDED TWO TO THREE MORE PEOPLE TO TRY TO REPLACE HIM IT IS NOT THE SAME. HE CAN NEVER BE REPLACED. I NO LONGER LOOK AS FORWARD TO THE NEW EPISODES BECAUSE ITS JUST NOT THE SAME. IF THERE IS ANYWAY POSSIBLE PLEASE BRING HIM BACK. A TRUE LAW AND ORDER SVU FAN. KATHY JONES

19. aldous says:

Diane is cute and its seems like she does an original Adas interpretation,but I like most when she faces Liv and discuss about Stabler,now without Eliot i will expect what happens