Fall TV First Impression: Can 2 Broke Girls Serve Up a Wealth of Laughs?

The broadcast networks have more than 30 shows debuting this fall, including Charlie’s reborn Angels, homecomings for Sarah Michelle Gellar and Rachel Bilson, and no less than two series set in the ’60s. To help you prep for fall, TVLine is offering First Impressions based on the not-for-review pilots. Next up….

THE SHOW | CBS’ 2 Broke Girls (Mondays at 8:30/7:30c, starting Sept. 26; sneak preview on Sept. 19 at 9:30, following Two and a Half Men)

THE COMPETITION | Dancing with the Stars (ABC), Terra Nova (new on Fox), Gossip Girl (The CW) and The Sing-Off (NBC)

THE CAST | Kat Dennings (Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist), Beth Behrs (Up Close with Carrie Keagan), Garrett Morris (Saturday Night Live), Matthew Moy (Scrubs), and Jonathan Kite

Fall 2011 TV Grid: Where Did Your Favorite Shows Land?

THE SET-UP | Dennings plays Max, a suffer-no-fools Brooklynite juggling two jobs — greasy-spoon waitress, and nanny — to make ends (barely) meet. Behrs is Caroline, a Park Avenue princess rendered a penniless pariah by her infamous father’s Ponzi scheme. Max’s diner needs a new hire (and Max is about to need a new roommate), while Caroline is desperate for a paycheck and a place to hang her surviving Chanel. Moy, Morris and Kite round out the cast as the diner’s ambitious boss, wise-cracking cashier and lecherous cook, respectively.

THE GOOD | Coming across as effortless in both its set-up and execution, 2 Broke Girls lands smack dab in the sitcom sweet spot, forcing clashing personalities to work together, live together, quarrel together, and just maybe learn from each other — similar to two other new comedies, Fox’s New Girl and ABC’s Apt. 23. Dennings seems to be having much fun here, and her fleeting asides with Morris’ cashier are little gems. Also, for TV fans who obsess over, like, when “the Mother” will be revealed, there’s this: The unlikely gal pals end up working toward a specific financial goal, with their combined savings tallied on-screen at the end of (presumably) every episode — which I think is a neat device.

THE… COULD-BE-BETTER | Behrs does well in her first major acting gig — and effectively elicits sympathy as needed — though Caroline could afford to be maybe five percent less precious. I don’t know how the show plans to utilize Kite’s Oleg, a lewd and unkempt immigrant cook who would seem to have very limited notes to play. And while it’s nice to see a series set in Brooklyn, an anachronistic graffiti-covered NYC subway car made my eyes roll a bit.

Fall TV First Impression: Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Ringer Twin Piques Our Interest

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Sneak-peeking after the much-ballyhooed season opener of the Sheen-free Two and a Half Men, 2 Broke Girls should cash in big its first night out. Then, in its regular time slot after How I Met Your Mother, it’s got a tonally (and geographically) apropos lead-in. Knowing that those who watch DWTS will (sigh) always watch DWTS, the only wild card is how loud a roar Fox’s Terra Nova makes with its own arrival on the TV landscape.

Watch a video preview for 2 Broke Girls, then vote in our poll below.

Loading video...

1. MissMel says:

This show is probably going to be terrible but I have such a girl crush on Kat Dennings that I won’t be able to stop myself from checking it out.

2. Danielle H. says:

I’m really still on the fence about this one. What truly sets it apart that makes it worth watching is what I’m wondering? (And no, Kat doesn’t count)

• Alexis Brogden says:

That is exactly how I feel. I don’t see this as something that is any different from shows about girls living together that have been done before

3. Marc says:

Calling two grown women “girls.” Misogyny is alive and well in Hollywood executive offices.

• NickC says:

HAHAhaha…are you for real?…so if you date someone do you call her your “Woman Friend” not your “Girl Friend”..?..Give me a break bro.

• Marc says:

Absolutely. Calling a women a “girl” (not “girlfriend,” “girl”) is derogatory and offensive to most of the women I know. When men refer to women as girls, it implies that they are not full and equal citizens and should not be treated as adults. It’s sexist.

• Guest says:

I think you are taking this way too seriously. 2 Broke Girls just sounds better than 2 Broke Women. If I heard that I would think it was about women in their 40s

• Erin says:

Actually, I think ‘Girls’ is more appropriate in this sense, because it implies that the characters are emotionally immature and need to find their way in the world. It’s kind of the whole point of the show.

4. Craig says:

what’s the sigh regarding DWTS? It’s a very enjoyable show, one without a mean bone in its body (unlike other competition shows ala Hell’s Kitchen, (don’t recall any sighs here regarding that show, or other reality dreck like Real Housewives and Jersey Shore ). People work hard on that show and come up with great routines. It’s pure entertainment. Plus CBS (and House) have always fared well against it so if Two Broke Girls doesnt work (which isnt likely, worse CBS shows have done well. this feels like a hit) it wont be because of DWTS

5. Shedon W says:

Loved the not-for-review advance look at the pilot; can’t wait to see the finished epwhen it gets sent out. Kat dennins and Beth Behrs work really well together.Best female off couple I’ve seen yet.

6. Girish says:

This show doesn’t seem funny enough for me, even though I like Dennings and there’s Terra Nova on FOX which I’ll definitely be watching!

7. dsfaf says:

This show looks jokes!!!

8. Tego Livi says:

It’s a little ironic that Kat Dennings will be (sort of) paired with Bob Saget again, after all these years, since he played her father on her previous sitcom.

9. Kevin says:

BORING new sitcom. 2 Broke Girls should last one season tops.

10. Magically Suspicious says:

Based strictly on the preview ads I’ve seen run on the networks, I will at least catch a couple of episodes of this show, whereas I probably wouldn’t have had the ads not sucked me in. It looks like it might actually be funny. Conversely, after seeing the ads, you couldn’t pay me to watch an episode of New Girl on Fox. Holy Moly, those ads are annoying. And thats saying something for me, since the only Fox show I watch is SYTYCD. In only three viewing hours per week, a show that I would have made an effort to see based on Zooey Deschanel alone has managed to irritate the snot out of me.

11. Roy says:

I didn’t like the trailer and was actually shocked this was the show that tested the best out of all the new comedy series. But since it airs after HIMYM and I will watch Two and a half Men for the first when it’s new, instead of repeats on cable. So I will definitely give it a few episodes.

12. kmb says:

I’m not sure if I’ll watch this yet, but that bucket list part made me laugh.

13. Luke says:

Kat Dennings is adorable. She should play “The New Girl” and Zooey Deschanel should play this role.

Will definitely tune in.

14. Melanie says:

Thought it was hilarious… Watched it while I waited on Hawaii 5-0! Will tune in again next week! Dumped the sing off halfway through the episode because it didn’t keep my interest.

15. jim says:

THIS SHOW IS TERRIBLE. IT’S ONE OF THE WORST I’VE EVER SEEN. THE ACTING STINKS AS WELL.YANK IT OFF THE AIR, STEP ON IT AND GRIND IT INTO THE DIRT THEN TO MAKE SURE IT’S DEAD POUR GAS ON IT AND BURN IT! THEN SCRAPE IT UP, PUT THE RESIDUE IN A LEAD BOX AND FILL IT WITH CONCRETE AND DUMP IT IN THE DEEPEST PART OF THE OCEAN. PLEASE! ANYONE WHO LIKES THIS SHOW NEEDS TO BE EXAMINED. SURE, THERE ARE A FEW PUKES THAT LIKE IT BUT THEY DON’T HAVE FRIENDS OR A LIFE.DO YA THINK I HATE THIS SHOW?

16. John says:

LOVE THE SHOW , CHANNEL 2 HAS A GREAT SELECTION FOR MONDAY. JOB WELL DONE. THESE GIRLS ARE FUNNY