The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Coming to your TV this week: Captain Jack tries to save the world (or die trying?!), Big Brother “double trouble,” and more Enthusiasm from Larry David. As a supplement to the fresh features and reporting TVLine has coming your way, here are 31 programs to keep on your radar.

8/7c A Capitol Fourth (PBS) |
9 pm Macy*s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular (NBC) | “Ahhhhhh….”
9 pm Switched at Birth (ABC Family) | Daphne is torn when Toby asks her and Emmett to help him cheat at a poker game. Why do I feel like ASL is about to be used for a nefarious purpose?
9 pm Citizen U.S.A.: A 50 State Road Trip (HBO) | Inspired by her Dutch-born husband’s naturalization process, filmmaker Alexandra Pelosi trekked cross-country to ask recent immigrants why they became U.S. citizens. Interestingly, 28 percent of them said, “I wanted to get in my vote for Haley Reinhart. Lotta good that did me.”
10 pm Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular (CBS) | “Pretty!”

Your Guide to Monday, July 4 TV Marathons

8 pm NCIS (CBS) |
It’s the season finale, and the P2P Killer isn’t going down without a fight.
9 pm Deadliest Catch (Discovery) | Mechanical problems with the Ramblin’ Rose threaten the season as well as the career of rookie captain Elliott Neese.
9 pm The Nine Lives of Chloe King (ABC Family) | Chloe tries to get a handle on her newest power — sonic hearing. Primo opportunity for Lindsay Wagner to guest star, missed.
9 pm White Collar (USA Network) | Neal and Peter go undercover as wealthy bachelors to snare a “black widow.”
10 pm The Good Wife (CBS) | It’s the one with the silly Case of the Week, but also The One Where She Finds Out.
10 pm Covert Affairs (USA Network) | As Auggie tests out his new job with Arthur, Annie adjusts to working with a new techie played by Thor‘s Jaimie Alexander. Mark Moses (Desperate Housewives) also guest stars.

8 pm So You Think You Can Dance (Fox) |
The Top 14 put their best feet forward, hoping not to be either of the two cut during Thursday’s results show.
9 pm Flipping Out (Bravo) | Season 5 opens with the introduction of a new team member and Jeff tackling a speaking engagement.
9 pm Lost Kennedy Home Movies (History) | Exactly what the title says. And if History is showing them, Katie Holmes must be nowhere to be seen.
10 pm Necessary Roughness (USA Network) | Dani treats a newsman played by Body of Proof‘s Nicholas Bishop.
10 pm Men of a Certain Age (TNT) | The Season 2 finale is chock-a-block with pivotal moments, as Joe looks to pre-qualify for the tournament, Terry discovers a new passion, and Owen and his dad have a heart-to-heart about the dealership’s future.

8 pm Community (NBC) |
Jeff gets caught with a fake “Conspiracy Theories” class on his schedule. Or is it fake? The final showdown is as epic as any paintball episode climax. “Would that this hoodie were a time hoodie!”
8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | The Lockwoods throw a masquerade ball; Damon goes as Boone Carlyle.
9 pm Big Brother 13 (CBS) | Time for Julie Chen and some “Double Trouble”! But first.
10 pm Love Bites (NBC) | This week’s guest stars include James Roday (Psych), Cheryl Hines (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Vanessa Marano (Switched at Birth) and Ashley Williams (How I Met Your Mother). Really, it’s no coincidence the show name mirrors “Love Boat.”
10 pm Suits (USA Network) | Lost‘s Titus Welliver plays an auto tycoon with a problem only Harvey might solve.
10:30 pm Louie (FX) | This week’s episode is worth watching if only for its painfully accurate depiction of a sleazy NYC apartment rental service. Took me right back to my first Upper East Side apartment hunt.

Hot for Summer: Your July Premieres Calendar

8 pm Friday Night Lights (NBC) |
Eric receives an enticing offer. To return for Super 9?
8 pm Smallville (The CW) | Series finale, Part 1 — aka before Clark [spoiler]s.
9 pm Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta (TLC) | Watch out, CSI and NCIS, because this wedding dress shopping series is branching out as well!
10 pm Torchwood: Miracle Day (Starz) | Captain Jack will get you high tonight… on the provocative premise that, suddenly, everyone in the world stops dying. But wait, what does the flip-flop mean for those who were immortal to begin with…? Uh-oh. All in all, a very compelling plot that is explored in fine detail (e.g. Who now gets priority in an ER? Are decapitations not even fatal?!), with some fun casting (Seinfeld‘s “Newman!” as a shady CIA biggie).

7:30 pm NASCAR Racing (TNT) |
Drivers spend three-plus hours breaking in the shiny-new Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Ky. Cars 2 only seemed longer.
9 pm The Social Network (Starz) | Scout’s honor, when I saw it in the theater I had no idea it wasn’t actual twins playing the Winklevi.

9 pm True Blood (HBO) |
While trying to help Eric, Sookie reunites with that hairy beast Alcide.
9 pm Secrets of SEAL Team 6 (Discovery) | SPOILER! Secret No. 14 is, “They wore only socks as they approached.”
10 pm Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) | Season 8 includes a relocation to NYC and guest stars such as Michael J. Fox and his TV dad Michael Gross, Mad Men‘s Rich Sommer, and Saturday Night Live alum Ana Gasteyer.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the comments to politely share tune-in recommendations of your own.

1. Erica says:

The only one I wanna see is True Blood!

• Lauren says:

So excited to see the new True Blood!! I watched the premiere and the second episode last week on a whim, since I didn’t watch the second or third seasons, and I got absolutely hooked. Watched season two and three while I’ve been waiting for the new episode, and loved them, but it has been absolute torture! I don’t like the description though – I’m looking forward to Sookie/Eric, not Sookie/Alcide. Still better than Sookie/Bill though.

• Aurore says:

That was the only show I was exited about too, but episode 2 was kind of a bore. They should really get rid of Bill and let Sam and Jason in the background.

2. Emily says:

Super excited for the Torchwood premiere.

3. shanay says:

Why is nothing listed about Hawthorne on TNT? I would like more scoop about that show starring Jada Pinkett Smith and Michael Vartan.

4. albi says:

Well the only one *I* wanna see is Torchwood. So there you go.

5. Jac says:

Super excited about Torchwood! I’ll never get enough of Captain Jack!

6. Kevin H. says:

Sooooo pumped for Torchwood! 2 years is too long. Hope the ratings are great.

7. Alex says:

Love Bites is not the best show out there, but I definitely enjoy the weekly collection of guest stars.
    Also excited for Curb Your Enthusiasm, one of the few shows that my mom and I enjoy watching together.

8. Cheryl says:

Definitely White Collar!!

9. gena says:

Love Men of a certain age well written show. White Collar bombed the first show of the season but now is back to being fun again. Liked Un Roughness will watch again. Saw the Kennedy film ended abruptly they could hv done that better. Still nice old family films.

10. K2 says:

Matt, wait until your co-worker Slezak finds out that you spelled his “Idol” Haley’s name wrong (it’s Reinhart). You are in trouble…

11. Emgee says:

How did the following shows not make the list?
    Pretty Little Liars
    Burn Notice
    Franklin & Bash

Glad Covert Affairs and Suits made the list though.

12. maggie says:

Can’t wait for Torchwood! I’ve been missing Captain Jack.

13. Justin says:

There are some shows not on the list that should be:
    Burn Notice
    Royal Pains
    However, the mentions of True Blood, Suits, and Necessary Roughness are good mentions, so thanks for that.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thank you for reading my coda and, in the spirit of that, politely sharing tune-in suggestions of your own. There is seldom an instance where I outright “forget” to include a show — and the rare times that I legitimately do, I am quick to admit as much and add it in. I have a list of several reasons why a show does not make the cut on a given week.

The TVLine-Up is NOT intended as a complete TV listings service; please consult with your physician before trying, kids ask parents before setting the DVR.

• Emgee says:

Looks like Justin and I have some similar interests in TV Shows.

14. XK says:

Conspiracy Theories was definitely one of my favorite episodes of Community this year… I’ll be watching it even though it’s a repeat. :)

Of the ‘new’ shows on the list, I thought the pilot for Chloe King was really pretty lame, and dropped it, Falling Skies, and Switched At Birth after one ep. Still enjoying Suits, Royal Pains and (occasionally) Franklin and Bash, and am hoping Necessary Roughness is still good in week 2. :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The Dean’s reactions throughout the climax makes me literally LOL each and every time.

• sashay says:

Each time I re-watch a Community episode, I appreciate Jim Rash (Rach?) more and more! A truly amazing cast, probably that’s why I didn’t properly appreciate the Dean before. Such a great show!

15. mimi says:

TEEN MOM starts on Tuesday on MTV. It’s amazing and everyone should watch!

16. Thecla says:

Uhm, why is NCIS on the list? Can’t wait for Torchwood though…

17. Alex says:

Suits is fun.

18. Katy says:

Can’t wait for Torchwood. Wonder if they are toning down Jack’s blatant sexuality, or just making it more hetero for US audience.

• bhm1304 says:

You have seen a Starz drama before haven’t you? Crash, Gravity, Spartacus: Blood and Sand? If not, check one out before making a false assumption.

19. sashay says:

So, so excited that Torchwood is back, and we get to see it in Canada concurrently!! (On Space TV). The channel has been re-running all the seasons, we’re about to see Children of Men again).
    Will watch Big Brother again (guilty, horribly shameful pleasure) and all the Community re-runs. Trying to avoid all the True Blood spoilers, since I haven’t seen last season yet (Space hasn’t caught up and I couldn’t afford HBO Canada this year). Surprisingly, I’ve found that being caught up on the books hasn’t spoiled me, since Alan has veered off so much from Charlaine’s work. Love how they are much riveting in completely different ways. One of the best things about the show is the casting. The last time I saw so many hot men in a TV show was back in the nineties, when I watched Days of My Lives. (Jensen Ackles, et al). Such eye candy!!

20. hatorl says:

TORCHWOOD!!!! I can’t wait!!!! Is amazing!!!!!
    so excited that Torchwood is back!!!!

21. Pat says:

The last Torchwood season was so depressing and now they say the new one will be even darker…And that Ianto Jones will not be back…No way I will watch.

• Carlie says:

We knew Ianto wouldn’t be back when he died onscreen.

Anyone who though he would was deluding themselves.

22. Jack S says:

LOVED last season of Big Brother, can’t wait to have it back. With the possibility that Rachel might be in there again :D

23. tfpeel says:

I’m waiting for Rookie Blue on thursday and the return of Flashpoint on Friday

24. Templar says:

On board with White Collar and Suits. And since the list stopped at Sunday, Rizzoli & Isles next Monday. The cable networks are surpassing the big 4 big time.

25. Elka says:

What do you mean the Social Network twins aren’t actually twins?!!!

Mind = Blown

26. Nancy says:

Must see: White Collar and Covert Affairs.

27. Alice says:

I can’t wait to see Divya living with Evan and Hank on Royal Pains!

28. Amber says:

Lol, I thought the same thing about the Winklevi. In fact, the first time I heard it was the same guy playing both parts, I didn’t believe I was being told the truth.

I’m not sure the conspiracy theory episode of Community was nearly as epic as the paintball episode. I was bored to the point where I can’t even remember what happened at the end, and I think it might be my least favorite episode. I don’t know, maybe I was in a really bad mood the night I watched it.