Glee's Best Musical Number? 'Dream On,' 'Dog Days,' 'Thriller,' 'Lady Is a Tramp' Highlight Day 5

Happy Fourth of July! And happy fifth day of’s Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament!

Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

Today’s featured performances include special guest stars like Neil Patrick Harris and Charice, and music from such superstar artists as Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Britney Spears. When Round 1 is done, however, only 32 of the 64 musical numbers in our brutal, single-elimination tournament will still be in contention. Yes, Gleeks, we know it’s not easy narrowing down the field to settle the debate over which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy, but it’s your patriotic(ish) duty to vote!

Vote in Day 4 of Glee’s Best Moment Tourney: ‘Forget You,’ ‘Bohemian,’ ‘Billionaire,’ and More!

In fact, every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you mentally humming your favorite Glee moments and anxiously wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Liz says:

I love NPH! Dream On for the win!

2. Laci says:

Dream On is probably the most listened to Glee song in my iTunes. I <3 NPH!

3. Drew says:

WTF Brittana fans? Why is autotuned TELEPHONE winning over our first duet, MATM?!

4. Captain says:

Like a Prayer and Thriller are two of my favourite Glee performances ever. I listen to their version of Thriller on my iPod more than I listen to the original.

5. Lily says:

Both Me against the Music and Telephone was terrible because the use of auto-tune was out of control. It was hard to choose but I vote for Telephone because I loved Rachel’s expression during the performance.

6. Drew says:

Brittana fans? Why is autotuned TELEPHONE winning over our first duet, MATM?!

7. RyanD says:

I’m sad that Dog Days Are Over isn’t doing better. Tina so rarely has a chance to be the star of a song (without awkwardly crying at the halfway point I mean…) and this is a fantastic song!

• Kari G says:

My problem with Dog Days is that it’s no where near as good as the original… Thriller/Heads Will Roll was a unique mash up that worked.

• Thomas says:

I agree. Poor Tina, lol. I voted for DDAO because I like it and I didn’t like how autotuned the mashup was.

8. Lu says:

Despite the auto-tuning- I loved the performance aspect of Me Against the Music. They make a great musical pair, at the very least.
    Telephone was good for performance too; Rachel is funny. But, you can’t beat the dancing and loving parody to a bathroom stall. Close call, though.

9. Spencer says:

Really?! How am i supposed to choose from Dog Days and Thriller?!?!?! I love them both sooooooooooooo much!!!! I <3 mercedes!!!!!!

10. Stacy says:

Why is Total Eclipse of the Heart not even in the bracket? That’s one of my favorites

11. Chloe says:

Sad to see that “Keep Holding On” isn’t getting more votes. In my opinion that was one of the best songs Glee has ever done, and it gets me every time. That being said, I can see why people are voting for “Like a Prayer” it was a great performance too. I just love “Keep Holding On” though.

• Jake says:

Totally agree with you! Definitely one of the best New Directions songs and one of best glee songs ever.

• Taylor says:

I completely agree. Like a Prayer is quite possibly my favorite Glee song, just with everyone’s voices, but I had to vote for Keep Holding On…the way it fit in with the plot, the performance/dancing, Finn holding both Rachel and Quinn’s hands…it was just about perfect. Not to mention it’s 360283641023958 times better than avril’s version.

• Chrissy says:

I definitely agree. Keep Holding On was absolutely amazing and I cried the first time I saw it on Glee. I wish it was doing better.

• maayan says:

totally agree, i was kinda sad that this two songs went up agenst eachother in the first round. as a big madonna fan i love like a prayer and i think glee made a really good version of the song, but i really love their version of keep holding on. i started listening to the song because of glee

• Juan says:

I am a huge Madonna fan, but Keep Holding On is a much better Glee song and performance, even though I don’t care for Avril.

Heck, I didn’t even know what it was when they sang it, but all I could think was, I have to get this song.

And in the end, isn’t that one of the best things about Glee?
      Rather than forced songs into theme weeks.

Take off the Madonna glasses and you’ll see.

• Lime says:

“Keep Holding On” is in my top three performances of S1. Absolutely beautiful, perfect choreography and the emotion of it all! I’ve rewatched it dozens of times. Glee perfection. “Like a Prayer” was good….but not on the caliber of KHO.

12. betty12 says:

Florence + the Machine is one of my favs, but the Glee version of Dog Days just felt like an afterthought during the ep.

13. Sharni says:

• mical says:

charice and rachel are good in this scene. very funny.i was amazed and entertained which made me happy. lol

14. Andi says:

I love Love LOVE The Lady is a Tramp. I kinda figured it wouldn’t take the bracket but I really think it was one of the best and one of the most underrated songs to come out of Season 2. Well…that and One of Us. A good portion of my Glee playlist didn’t even make it on the chart. Disappointing but not surprising.

15. Rachel says:

I loved Dog Days, but the Thriller mashup was just so amazing & creative, and it included so many new people!! I can’t believe Keep Holding On isn’t getting more, that’s one of their best, I think.

16. Thespia says:

You didn’t include my personal faves; Santana and Mercedes doing a chill “The Boy Is Mine” and The Warblers “Teenage Dream.” I would have to choose “Dream On” as the most epic of the above; plus “Safety Dance”–basically everything in Whedon’s ep was terrific.

• Lime says:

“Teenage Dream” was in bracket 2, last week. Don’t worry, it slaughtered its competition and is moving on in the tourney.

17. Vetle says:

To pit Dog Days Are Over vs. Thriller/Heads Will Roll is EVIL! =(

18. Jordan says:

Me Against the Music was SOOOO much better than Telephone!

19. CaseyF says:

I wish they would have had “My Man,” “As If We Never Said Goodbye,” or really any song featured the amazing Idina Menzel…

They should have expanded the bracket to 128. Throughout both seasons, they had 231 songs released on iTunes, and there are many fun unreleased songs like “My Headband” or Kurt singing “Mister Cellophane” in the pilot where they could have upped the ante even more to 256 and we could have had a great walk down memory lane voting on every possible Glee musical moment. Single Ladies could have made the cut!

20. FelipeV says:

It is really not nice to make me choice between Thriller/Heads wil roll and Dog Days are Over… they are in my top 5!!!

21. Bianca says:

Telephone duet is the best duet song in Glee imo :)

22. SandyT says:

Where are all the brittana fans? Go vote for me against the music!

23. Laugh says:

A hard choice between Thriller and Dog Days (which I prefer over the Florence version). Had to go with Thriller, ultimately. That was a great performance!

Telephone was a great version as well, had to go with that one!

I didn’t realize until recently that Sunshine was one of Oprah’s Kids With Talent or whatever she called those episodes. I didn’t catch her show much over the years, but saw this years’ with a look back. That was fun to see her being surprised by Celine Dion back when she was like 12 years old. Talk about getting your foot in the door, I’m shocked to have not heard of her sooner!