Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

It’s a case of good news/bad news for Glee fans.

First the good: Darren Criss (Blaine) and Harry Shum Jr. (Mike) have officially been upgraded to full-time series regulars, effective this fall with the start of Season 3.

And now for the not so good news…

Chord Overstreet‘s series regular option has not been picked up. However, a source close to the show says the actor — who joined the Fox hit last fall in the recurring role of McKinley transfer student Sam Evans — could return as an occasional guest star.

Late Friday, Overstreet issued a cryptic tweet saying, “It’s been a good year. Too bad it’s over. Time for summer and starting fresh.”

Glee Boss Ryan Murphy: ‘Amazing Stories’ Coming for Mercedes, Mike, Tina, and Sue

The news comes two weeks after series creator Ryan Murphy raised eyebrows when he told Ryan Seacrest that most of the show’s primary characters would graduate by the end of next season. “The show to me is about the way you express yourself as you start to move out into the world as a fresh, young person,” he later clarified to TVLine. “Do we really want to have an eight-year [high school] senior? The only way somebody could stay on the show is if they flunk, and that is always a possibility. I think Brittany is pulling straight Fs.”

Thoughts? Bummed about Chord? Psyched about Harry/Darren? Hit the comments!

Want Glee Scoop 24/7? Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. fudgefase says:

Was he the ‘diva’ being referred to in your blind item about someone getting too big for their boots etc and being thrown off a show? Just curious.

2. fudgefase says:

Sorry about the repitition. I didn’t realise the first one had gone through.

3. Chad says:

I barely ever noticed Sam in episodes anyway, so I’m not surprised they decided he was expendable.

4. RemusL says:

@Michael Ausiello and Nellie Andreeva … Way to incite the entire Glee-verse with a very misleading article. You know full well that Chord not being offered a regular cast contract does not mean he’s been “demoted”, “fired” or “let go” from the show or you would have said that, right? Does your “source close to the show” even know anything other than that info about the contracts? You should tell your readers that Chord, Harry and Darren were all on recurring guest star contracts in season 2, appearing in 21, 22 and 13 episodes respectively, while Mike O’Malley, who plays Kurt’s dad Burt Hummel, appeared in only 8 episode despite being a regular cast member. As for Chord’s “cryptic” tweet on July 1st – nothing cryptic about it. It most likely refers to the Glee Live tour coming to an end in Dublin on July 3rd. The cast members all get a month long summer break before taping for season 3 begins. It would hardly make any sense for it to refer to him not getting offered a regular cast contract.

5. Antea says:

I can´t… really …

Sam was the only reason I was still watching Glee this season…
    he was the only one character who I really can feel related in the whole show…

I just can´t understand wtf they are thinking…
    I mean I love Mike but he barely talks…

and Blaine, he is no a character for himself… he is just Kurt´s boyfriend… I don´t hate him but I don´t care about him besides of Kurt :/

Also, Chord is amazing!!!…

I just want my baby back :c … I hope their changes their mind

6. jeytd says:

I really want Chord to stay. His voice is great and he has such a infectious laugh. I hope he’ll do the best out of it though.
    Darren is my absolutely favorite. I don’t know why but I just really really like this guy. And in my opinion he deserves to become a regular. He really has a lot of talent and a wonderful voice. And he’s so passionate and modest.
    And like K said to the topic with Kurt: “How quickly people forget Kurt’s complete lack of support for Blaine while Blaine was struggling with his sexuality. Not to mention the time Kurt threw Blaine’s painful past in his face in front of Burt and Finn simply because Blaine was hesitant over Kurt’s choice of wearing a kilt to prom. I love Kurt, but he’s hardly a saint.”

Blaine is a great character and so lovely and he did so much for Kurt. Don’t talk him down.

• Marcus says:

I addressed that comment on page 1. Using bad writing as an excuse for why Blaine is a good character is stupid. Kurt didn’t owe him any support in the drunken-bisexuality episode, because you don’t support your friends when they do stupid things, you tell them they’re doing stupid things. Never mind that it was horrible of Rachel to ask out a guy she knew Kurt liked, and even more horrible of Blaine to say yes when he knew Kurt liked him and that Rachel was his friend. And the prom episode gay-bashing plot device was horribly offensive in several ways.

7. Support Chord says:

SIGN THIS PETITION: http://twitition.com/ykbuw

Buy BILLIONAIRE on iTunes! It has moved up 60 spots on the Glee Cast charts.

Tweet and use the hashtag #DontCutTheChord

We are getting mainstream press behind us. We can make a difference. We will win this!

8. zoot says:

UGH..I am so OVER Blaine..he bothers me with how he has to dominate all the singing all the time….. I don’t like his character!!!
    KEEP CHORD…DUMP DARREN

9. DJ says:

Mercedes and Sam wouldn’t have worked anyway. I like Sam and hate to see him leave. But there isn’t anyone currently on the show that would be a good match for Mercedes. And personally I hate seeing 30 year old high school students. The show was floundering this past season.

10. Spencer says:

Ok, they just need to slash everyone except for the kids that have been their since season 1, how about that.

11. denisec says:

I do not like this move at all. If they are worried about the “kids” looking too old, why get rid of one of the younger looking ones? He is very talented and getting rid of him was a bad move!!

12. stephen says:

This sucks,
    It would make a lot more sense to keep Chord, seeing as he is a year younger and would be able to stay, easing the transition between graduating students leaving and new members.
    Also, I really miss his storyline with quinn. So much better than finn and quinn….
    For darren, I think he’s got a great voice, but isn’t he a year older than the rest of them? How well can that possibly work?

13. Nic says:

My main concern is that Max Adler comes back. I started watching this season as his role became more prominent, and the hope of him creating a triangle with Kurt and Blaine will have me tuning in next season. Kurt and Blaine are adorable, but can Kurt resist a reformed Karofsky (after all, we know he likes jocks) forever?

• Marcus says:

Here’s hoping Kurt has grown some self-respect after the whole willing-to-be-Blaine’s-third-choice thing, because if they ever have him dating the guy who threatened to kill him, I’m done.

14. Thespia says:

Crap. Mercedes finally catches a man and they fire him?!

15. Jax says:

I am thrilled about the Mike upgrade as I think he’s awesome but I am incredibly bummed about Sam. I feel that Blaine has no depth as a character farther than being Kurt’s gay boyfriend. Sam was genuine and awesome. I know Blaine has the fanbase backing him but still, I will miss Sam and the Samcedes romance.

16. Ampi says:

I want see chord in season 3..This sucks

17. AmyLeigh says:

That really sucks about Chord since I really did like Sam and what he brought to the show. Not sure why in the hell Harry was upgraded to regular status. I only like his character in small doses.

Honestly though, what I really care about is Jonathan Groff. They had the perfect set-up to have Jesse as a recurring character but we’ve heard absolutely nothing. :( He’s one of the only things that I like about this show anymore. At this point, I don’t care if he’s with Rachel or not, I just want him back on the show damnit!

18. Sam says:

They should’ve kept Sam and gotten rid of Blaine. I’m happy about Mike.

• roni says:

look i like sam too… but i think it would be a very good way to end his story if it were after a couple episodes in the season.. they could show that his friends at glee club were a really big support to him and helped him with his problems… but i also think that blaine is beginning to become uninteresting too

19. Whittier says:

SPOILER:

The final scene of the final episode of Season 2 is of Sam and Mercedes holding hands, clearly having started going out but without the others knowing. What are they going to do with that?

20. DC says:

The song Billionaire shows it all when it comes to who should be on the show….Harry or Chord. As much as Harry is a strong Dancer, his character brings absolutely nothing to the show. In fact during the song Billionaire I try to tune him out as his dancing is actually distracting and detracts from the chemistry and stage presence of the musicians performing the song. In my opinion Chord is a much better performer and his character fits better into the chemistry and dynamics of the complete cast. If the decision is final and Harry has the job then it is my hope that his character is given some purpose and he becomes relevant to the show. Just to have some random guy dancing really doesn’t work.
    If you read this Chord….great job with Season 2. I am sure it is not the last we will hear from you.
    Darren certainly deserves a spot on the show and it is kind of interesting to have a character from an opposing glee club.
    One last thing is that I hope the producers don’t think that the writers will carry this show. Without this group of actors, this show will have a tough time succeeding after this year. Even after just 2 years this group has cemented their faces into all viewers that they are Glee Club. Changing that core group would be like overhauling the actors in “Friends”. No matter how good the writing is. It just will not work. Sorry.

21. Nimi says:

Sam was one of my favourite characters, and even though I like Darren Criss, Blaine just drove me nuts. I’m really glad that Harry gets to stay though (his dancing is awesome.)

I hope Chord does return as a guest star..

22. Luna says:

I’m so happy for Darren!!! I was kinda afraid, towards the end of the season that Chris and Darren’s roles were slimming, and they are by far my favorites on Glee. But I’m a little confused with Chord. He’s actually fairly new and pretty talented. I acrually thought his role would become bigger, starting his relationship with Mercedes. I feel likes she was the only one who was single. Well, basicly, if all else fails shes still got tots! :D So really, I’m super happy with Darren and Mike, but sad and unsatisfied with Chord!

23. Kris says:

Go Harry!
    So happy about this. Oh and btw Chord decided to leave, that’s just how dedicated he was…
    Harry is sooo talented. Maybe the writers finally realized how badly they were wasting his talent. I hope he gets a big story for season 3. It’s not his fault his character wasn’t developed so that’s not a reason why he would leave and it wouldn’t have saved Chord anyway. Some people have weird logic.
    Harry, you have swag!
    (something we asians got

24. Gia says:

I wish all of them would be able to stay. I am a bigger fan of Darren than Chord but that doesn’t mean I want him to go. They are both very good actors and are usually better than the other members of the cast. I also do not see why Ryan Murphy would cut a character that is going amazingly for any other reason than financial. There has to be some other reason.

25. Spark says:

Darren Criss is the only reason I WATCH glee. He is hot. Deal with it, haters!

26. Brittney says:

I like Darren Criss…he’s awesome BUT MU CHORD!!!!!!’ NOOOOOO! I’m gonna die without trouty mouth! <3 :O

27. Jason says:

I’d thought Harry Shum was the hottest thing on TV until Darren Criss joined Glee. Now they kind of share the accolade. I’m so delighted they’re permanent because its so richly deserved. Sorry about losing Chord though.

28. blog says:

You are precisely correct with this blog