Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

It’s a case of good news/bad news for Glee fans.

First the good: Darren Criss (Blaine) and Harry Shum Jr. (Mike) have officially been upgraded to full-time series regulars, effective this fall with the start of Season 3.

And now for the not so good news…

Chord Overstreet‘s series regular option has not been picked up. However, a source close to the show says the actor — who joined the Fox hit last fall in the recurring role of McKinley transfer student Sam Evans — could return as an occasional guest star.

Late Friday, Overstreet issued a cryptic tweet saying, “It’s been a good year. Too bad it’s over. Time for summer and starting fresh.”

Glee Boss Ryan Murphy: ‘Amazing Stories’ Coming for Mercedes, Mike, Tina, and Sue

The news comes two weeks after series creator Ryan Murphy raised eyebrows when he told Ryan Seacrest that most of the show’s primary characters would graduate by the end of next season. “The show to me is about the way you express yourself as you start to move out into the world as a fresh, young person,” he later clarified to TVLine. “Do we really want to have an eight-year [high school] senior? The only way somebody could stay on the show is if they flunk, and that is always a possibility. I think Brittany is pulling straight Fs.”

Thoughts? Bummed about Chord? Psyched about Harry/Darren? Hit the comments!

Want Glee Scoop 24/7? Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Monika says:

I really hate people hating on Darren right now, seriously. He worked hard to get where he is, okay? Sure, don’t like Blaine but it’s not right to wish misfortune on someone’s career, especially considering how much he does for his fans, and how much he cares about them. I love Chord, I’m devastated he’s not a regular, though :( But incredibly happy for Darren and Harry, no doubt.

I WANTS MY SAMCEDES TO GETS IT ON

2. stinasings says:

Wow didnt see that coming especially after the SamCedes hint at the end of S2 finale. Other than that Im over the moon for Darren and Harry. Darren I saw that coming because S2 he made such a splach and Harry’s been there since S1 he’s due.

3. Biba says:

I’m just so disappointed! Even if I knew they were going to mess everything up again, I’m so so so disappointed…

Sam is a great character and Chord portrays him so good… And they closed last season with Sam and Mercedes letting us know there was something going on there… I was never really a Glee lover untill I noticed Chord and his potential on the show…

Of course they picked up Darren… we all know Kurt his one of the favorte characters of the writers… and I’m really happy, ’cause I DO like them… but not bringing Chord back? That’s just dumb..

Honestly, I’m pretty sure the main reason I was going to tune in was Sam, Mercedes and the songs… Considering they didn’t pick Chord as a regular (GUEST STAR???? SERIOUSLY??? DO THEY EVEN REALIZE HOW MANY FANS HE AND HIS CHARACTER HAVE??? HAVING HIM BACK NOW AND THEN?? WHAT?S THE FREAKING POINT??), I’m sure they will ignore and neglet Mercedes and Amber like they did season 1 and 2 to give screentime onely to Rachel, Finn, Kurt, and now, probably Santana’s story line, and the fact that they won’t sing as much as before… Well, thanks RIB, you took away the reasons I had to love this show… Yeah, guess graduation came eraly for me…

NO cast I love, no reason to watch… and that’s just so sad, ’cause I really thought they could do something good this season…

RIB, BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

4. Amber says:

I am very happy for Harry Shum, because he is a crazy good dancer and I do like ‘em lanky, but could they maybe have his character take voice lessons or something? He needs to join in on those songs. Sad for Trouty Mouth. He may not have been the strongest character, but I think they just didn’t know how to use the actor. It was more of a case of bad writing than bad acting, I felt. At the end there they had a direction to go with his parents being foreclosed and living in a motel, but I guess they’re not going to try and work with that. My feelings for Darren Chris are lukewarm. I don’t really get all the hype surrounding his character, though he does have a crazy good voice, and it is nice to see Kurt have someone he can connect with on the show. Beyond that with Darren Chris, I’m like, meh!

5. Rob says:

I’ve long since realized after his feud with Kings of Leon that Ryan Murphy is a moron who probably gets paid far too much money.

6. Austin says:

Ohhhh, HELL TO THE NO.

I really don’t want the cast to leave after this season… It’s gonna be depressing :/

7. Rowell says:

Why promote a dancer and get rid of the singer?
    That’s not smart.

• Lily says:

Unless they want to go for the Asian storyline with Tina… Tina seems to be a modern Asian while Mike’s parents seem to be more traditional… a good source for conflict and storylines…

• Que says:

Because if they get rid of Harry they can’t do awesome numbers like Valerie – who would dance with HeMo?

8. Mikey M says:

Really sad to hear. I liked him.
    Big mistake.

9. Carol says:

No offence, but both Sam and Blaine had much more storyline than Mike, plus we at least got something about their characters, while Mike Chang has barely even said anything, let alone having any kind of character development. So I’m sorry, but I’d be much happier with Sam staying in the show than a guy who’s only purpose is being Tina’s boyfriend (yeah, I get there’s also his super important dancing, but honestly, being in choir without being able to sing?).

• Rawr says:

I think the point is, though, that he’s GOING to get a character, and become more of a person, with a better storyline. I agree though, I would have preferred Sam and Blaine to stay.

10. bittersweetgirl says:

God that show is really going down hill. I don’t care anyway, I only watch it for Chris Colfer. Even if they barely made him sing when he was at Dalton, nonsense! Having all this amazing talents (jane lynch, lea michele, kevin mchale, amber riley and her powerful voice, etc.) and doing what they are doing is really disappointing.

11. a says:

Need more Brittany/Heather Morris! Less Blaine, less useless characters like Sam. More Mike Chang too. :)

12. Lulu says:

To everyone hating on this decision:

Ryan Murphy and the gang wouldn’t have just made this decision at the drop of a hat! They would have done a lot of group response and analysis of the show, whether formal or not, and clearly fans just aren’t responding to Chord as much as Harry and Darren. Scritped TV is ever-so-slowly going to way of reality TV, especially with a show like this, in the way that they use audience response to decide who is on the show and who is not. Whether you like it or not, the majority of people would prefer to keep around Blaine and Mike, and while I too will lament the departure of Sam, he clearly wasn’t going to make as much money for the group as Darren/Harry, and at the end of the day, TV is a business like everything else. Of course you can’t please everyone, but they wouldn’t have done this if they thought they would lose a great proportion of their audience, so its obviously just a case of Sam not being as popular a character…oh well…

13. Ice says:

wow, damn he would upgrade blaine, wtf, you just gave Merceeds an Sam a try, i want to see them together, wow, im shock i dont want to see any more Finn,Rachel,Quinn, love trangle, its sad I feel bad , for Chord, for every door closes somthing better opens keep going for your goal chord.. But Congrats to Harry and Darren

p.s. Ryan, You Better do right by Santana,Brittany, this year..(Brittana/Santany) and also they need a spinoff show..

14. Rawr says:

Well I guess Sam was the EASIEST person to leave… I mean since his family’s gone broke he might have to live somewhere cheap. But it’s depressing him and Mercedes were so cute together :(
    So happy Darren’s been promoted though :D KLAINE!

15. Liam says:

Wtf?! One of the things I loved about the second season of Glee was how they introduced new characters and didn’t make me hate ‘em. Chord and Darren was the favorites.
    Thought they balanced out characters I didn’t care that much about in the first place. This is extremely disappointing.
    The second season of Glee has been very up and down, but one of the unfailingly ups has been Chord.
    Now I’m not sure if I’m coming back this fall as a regular viewer anymore.

16. Kakes116 says:

The show will be less abulous

17. Celeste says:

Not chord!!!! :( :(. :( he should have stayed!!

18. Jo says:

I am happy for both Harry and Darren. I love Harry’s dancing, and the way the crowd has reacted to Darren each ‘Klaine’ skint on tour, they were foolish if they hadn’t. I’ll miss Sam, but im not gonna loose sleep over him leaving – he has a great voice,but his acting was never great.

19. Scott says:

Syched about Darren. No feelings on Harry. Sad about Chord. But really, I’m just not looking forward to a new person from that Oxygen reality show coming on. Is that who’s replacing Chord? REALLY RYAN MURPHY?

20. Timmy Bauer says:

I really hate Harry’s character: he’s useless for the story and his dancing moves are irritating.

I would prefer to see the other dancer from the first season…

21. Johanne says:

Finally Harry gets to be Regular! he’s been on Glee for ages!
    So happy for Darren too! it’s so surreal :D ..
    I’m gonna miss Chord though.. He’s gonna be on Glee, but only as a guest star from time to time :/

22. Holly says:

*eternally cries* I’m not watching glee ever again. Why should the other two stay? One doesn’t go to mckinley and the other can’t even sing. It’s really not fair.

23. T.D. says:

Wow, this is very disappointing. Sam was the only part of season 2 that I liked. Doesn’t make me want to watch Glee anymore, which is shame because I used to love this show. I wish Chord the very best of luck in the future and look forward to seeing what he does next.

24. Gil says:

Very happy for Darren, don’t really care about Harry but sad for Chord, i think they should have kept him much more than the other two, such a pity….

25. Lily says:

Chord out… so the winner of the Glee project should be male…

• Rina says:

PLEASE let it be Damian! *swoons* Foreign exchange student from Northern Ireland, anyone? Cameron’s not bad either. I’m in love with Alex’s voice, but we don’t really need another flamboyantly gay character. Matheus is okay, but he just annoys me for some reason. And the guy with the dreadlocks whose name escapes me doesn’t stand out at all.

26. JessK says:

Thrilled to have Harry and Darren as regulars (Mike and Blaine are two of my favourites!) but it sucks that they couldn’t keep Chord as well. Just as he was getting some juicy storylines too!

27. Dan says:

I don’t think Ryan Murphy’s making good decisions with the show’s cast. Sure Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr as permanents will be good (Don’t know why Harry wasn’t a permanent at the start of Season 2), but kicking Chord out might not be such a good idea.

28. Sophie says:

Thanks for cutting one of the most interesting story lines for next year, Ryan! A homeless family and an unexpected romance for our girl, Mercedes. Stop with the constant tinkering. Character development clearly isn’t your strength. All you have to do is watch Nip/Tuck to see proof of that. I quit on N/P after 1 1/2 seasons. I lasted 2 with Glee…even though this past year was wildly uneven. I am hoping the new writers you recently hired can teach you a few things about how NOT to crash and burn a character.

29. Ring says:

No!!!!! Sam is my fav character!!!! Now i just kinda hate ryan murphy!!!!!

30. CHORD OVERSTREET MUST KEEP STAY ON GLEE ……………

31. Sam Evans needs to stay in Glee, if he doesn’t I will never watch Glee again

32. Beyonce says:

Bring Sam back when Finn graduates. Mercedes & Sam! And, yes, i’m going there – One big girl with a jock is enough. Jennifer Hudson & Mrs. Obama should guest star and help Mercedes get into shape.

33. Petra says:

Too bad about Chord, but as long as Mark Salling is in I’m in!

34. Emma says:

So, for a second I thought they meant Harry Potter and I got really excited they were acknowledging Darren’s FIRST (and most loyal….) fandom. But then I realized they meant Harry Shum. Disappointed Starkid.

35. Taylor Geary says:

He’s lucky. now he won’t be that kid from Glee for the rest of his career. He can go on to do better things and other shows that don’t put him in a box.

36. ben says:

This is atrocious. i blame the darren criss fans for over compensating, he is one of the weaker singers and a boring character to boot. sam was interesting, had actual quirks to him that were worth exploring but the writer’s slacked off when they realized what the teenage girls were saying about Blaine. I’m so angry. I won’t be watching Glee anymore, it’s just the darren twit show.

37. pat_C says:

WTF?! Sam is axed from the show?! Horrible decision by the Glee writers! Sam was my favorite part of Season 2. I don’t think I’m interested in watching Season 3 anymore.

38. Cathy says:

This stinks! Sam was my favorite character.This was a really stupid move…the whole show can’t be about Kurt.

39. Chelsea says:

First of all… who said that he was leaving? I am thrilled for Harry and Darren, of course. Harry has paid his dues and Darren well, he’s gotten extremely popular and sings amazing and sells well. A lot more than Chord does, to be honest. However, I hope he does stay on as a guest star, because I did love Sam. :( Plus, SAMCEDES.

40. Wouter says:

What about Max Adler? I want him to be a regular!

41. Ale says:

I guess that Chord is going so that Blaine can transfer at McKinley…but still…I LOVE Darren and I’m so happy that he’s a regular now, but I’ll miss Chord a lot! He was adorkable!

42. Aly says:

His abs though? :(

Yay Darren and Harry!

43. Elle says:

The part of this I’m most excited for is Darren Criss. He is the best male singer on the show (can we PLEASE stop pretending Finn is really that great, Ryan Murphy?), he and Kurt are absolutely adorable together, and he has the potential to really shine as an actor. While his main strenght is definitely singing, he was great as Harry in AVPM and AVPS. If only the producers would realize that…
    As far as Harry and Chord are concerned: meh. I like Harry and think they could make a more interesting storyline for his character, so good for him. I liked Chord and i’m sad to see him go, but he always felt like Finn version 2, and I just never really connected with his character
    And finally, to the supposed “fans”: I get it, you liked Chord, you wanted to see Samcedes, you’re upset. STOP. If you’re going to stop watching the show because he wasn’t made a regular, then you don’t seem like a true fan to me. Yes, season two wasn’t nearly as good as season one. But slow down. Breathe. Have faith. He’ll still be a guest star,probaly much like he was season. Accept the change and enjoybthe wonderful music that New Directions makes. And stop angst-ing. It’s annoying.
    Sincerely,
    A sane Glee fan

• Paris says:

I disagree with your post wholeheartedly. The best male singer on the show is Kurt or Artie. Blaine’s voice is always autotuned and I cringe when I hear it. I hate how the Darren fans always bring the Potter Musical to the discussion. He is a terrible actor for a terrible character. He makes the same facial expressions and he is beyond cheesy when he performs. My problem with Darren is that season 2 was basically the blaine and kurt show with spots of rachel/finn and santana/britney. He hogged the screen as a guest star and now he will take more plotlines away from the rest of the new direction characters.

• Vivian says:

maybe we shouldnt argue who the hell is the best singer?? come on! all casts in glee are so damn talented!! isnt this the reason why we all watch glee?? i guess u need to accept the fact that potter musical is a part of darren, no matter u like it or not.. his fans brought this to the discussion simply becoz they dont want someone like u to deny darren’s talent.
        okay fine, we all know RM is a jerk for not having chord as a regular.. but please stop judging their talents!!
        sad for chord, happy for darren harry

• Paris says:

I have seen Potter Musical and I am not impressed by what you call “his talent”. I think Darren is highly overrated and I can not wait until he graduates from glee

• Beth says:

Agreed. I am so freaking sick of Blaine and Darren Criss. Blaine is soooooooo boring!

• Really says:

Come on. They are all auto-tuned, including Kurt and Artie. Don’t blame Darren for Ryan Murphy’s decisions. Darren is an extremely talented young man – off set a singer, songwriter, musician with a dozen or more instruments and a great performer. He’s Scruffy, if you haven’t seen him without the slicked back hair and no beard. This guy earned his spot on Glee traveling back and forth from New York to do the tracks with the Beelzebubs and running back to LA to perform with the Warblers. He’s been on a dozen talk shows to promote the show. It’s not easy being a straight guy and portraying a gay guy. I was impressed. If Season 2 was the Klaine show, blame Ryan Murphy, not Darren.

• Marcus says:

“It’s not easy being a straight guy and portraying a gay guy.” Yes, we know, he reminds everyone of this constantly. The entire point of acting is that you’re portraying a person that you are not. I find it horribly offensive that fans make it out to be some OMG HUGE DEAL that he’s a straight actor willing to play gay, like it’s this big disgusting thing.

44. Leone says:

I honestly really enjoyed Chord on the show. In my opinion, he was a great addition to the cast. I don’t understand Harry. I never really liked him. Sure, he’s a fantastic dancer, but as far as his character goes, what? I really liked the Sam storyline with him being homeless and all, I thought it was really interesting. Also, why would they show the whole Sam and Mercedes thing on the season finale if they’re just going to boot him off? Hopefully they’ll do SOMETHING with that storyline. Just because he won’t be a regular, doesn’t mean he won’t mean make an appearance every once in a while:) As far as Darren goes, I’ve been a fan of his for a while now, so of course I’ll be happy for him no matter what. Everybody keeps saying how boring his character is. Although that may be true, he is like that for a reason. Kurt has such an over-the-top personality, if there were two of them, it would be chaos. Blaine is more just an addition to when Kurt already is. Blaine’s like his backbone, there for Kurt when he needs him. However, I do hope Ryan does more stuff with Blaine so people don’t get too bored. Keep the songs coming, people always seems to enjoy them.

45. Robin says:

Not cool RIB! I’m glad Harry’s staying, because he’s an amazing person on and off screen. I’m pissed that Chord is leaving. He’s adorable and I think Sam and Mercedes should have a chance. They’re cute together. Darren, on the other hand, needs to leave asap. I hate the character of Blaine and he really has not reason to be there. The Klaine relationship was kinda cute at the beginning, but now it sucks. Kurt deserves someone so much better then Blaine. Darren should leave and Chord should stay. End of story. I’m kinda glad that most of the original cast is graduating after season 3, because I don’t know how much more I can put up with RIB. This is not how to deal with a TV show and it’s characters. :(

46. mgb says:

I like Sam, but if Mercedes and Brittany left tomorrow I’d be very happy.

47. Kirsty e says:

Man, I really liked having Chord on Glee, it’s gonna suck :( wish he stayed x

48. Bumblebee says:

Ummm, so the kid who sings great and acts great (Chord) gets fired, yet Cory Monteith who can’t sing nor can’t act that well is still there? Seriously?

49. Annie says:

I’m sure someone has already said this, but here it goes. Throwing Chord Overstreet out now seems like a waste, they left a cliffhanger that was about HIM, so what are they going to do with that? Or will it be another one of Glee’s subplots that’s mentioned once or twice and then thrown by the wayside? I’ll be honest, I’ve never be a fan of Chord, not his singing, his acting, and not of his character Sam, but I thought the point of bringing him in was for the audience to get used to his character so when everyone graduated we’d still have a familiar face. Season 4 could have been Kurt, Sam, and (I guess) Brittany. I can’t stand when shows do this with characters, throw them in, just to stir up the pot, then throw them out, like it’s no big deal. It kinda is a big deal, these characters create a world so when people are added and removed, we notice, regardless of the statue of the character.