Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

It’s a case of good news/bad news for Glee fans.

First the good: Darren Criss (Blaine) and Harry Shum Jr. (Mike) have officially been upgraded to full-time series regulars, effective this fall with the start of Season 3.

And now for the not so good news…

Chord Overstreet‘s series regular option has not been picked up. However, a source close to the show says the actor — who joined the Fox hit last fall in the recurring role of McKinley transfer student Sam Evans — could return as an occasional guest star.

Late Friday, Overstreet issued a cryptic tweet saying, “It’s been a good year. Too bad it’s over. Time for summer and starting fresh.”

Glee Boss Ryan Murphy: ‘Amazing Stories’ Coming for Mercedes, Mike, Tina, and Sue

The news comes two weeks after series creator Ryan Murphy raised eyebrows when he told Ryan Seacrest that most of the show’s primary characters would graduate by the end of next season. “The show to me is about the way you express yourself as you start to move out into the world as a fresh, young person,” he later clarified to TVLine. “Do we really want to have an eight-year [high school] senior? The only way somebody could stay on the show is if they flunk, and that is always a possibility. I think Brittany is pulling straight Fs.”

Thoughts? Bummed about Chord? Psyched about Harry/Darren? Hit the comments!

Want Glee Scoop 24/7? Follow Ausiello on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (414)

• YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DARREN! And yay Harry! I’ve been waiting for this to be confirmed, so happy it’s finally out there so no one can say Darren is going to leave and is expendable now :D Haters to the left!

Comment by Jenn – July 1, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really disappointed. Darren and Harry were already in every episode so it’s not that big of a difference. But does this mean that Sam is leaving Glee club? And what about him and Mercedes? I dont get it :(

Comment by Brianna – July 1, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell, people. You’re all talking like you know what’s best for the show. Just because Chord was not promoted to series regular does not mean he won’t be in (almost) every episode. This has been done time and time again on other VERY successful shows, including “Gilmore Girls,” where Kelly Bishop (Emily Gilmore) was always a guest star but was in nearly every episode, and Edward Hermann (Richard Gilmore) was always a “with a special appearance by” and was (again) in nearly every episode. Calm your fangirl panties down, and realize you’re not in charge. Yes, I know we’ve all had some issues with the inconsistencies in Glee’s writing sometimes, but you have no control over it. Chill out, and wait to see what happens.

Comment by Phil – July 1, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to question the people who are translating “Chord COULD return as an OCCASIONAL guest star” into “He still might be in almost every episode”. I want to borrow your dictionary.

Comment by Esta – July 1, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. That’s industry speak for “no way in hell is he coming back, we’re all just being polite here.”

Comment by E – July 3, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna miss his sexy abs. Atleast he’s working on his singing career. New album in the works!

Comment by Mackenzie – July 1, 2011 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Chord I’m done. Sam Evans became my favorite all time Glee character. The show is crap and decisions like this are exactly why. Big mistake. Huge.

Comment by cin – July 1, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is the change in Chord Overstreet’s status related to Mike Ausiello’s blind item a while ago about an actor who is a fan favorite becoming a diva on the set? Just a question. I have no knowledge either way.

Comment by Eliza – July 1, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Duh, of course it is, there’s no one else it could be.

Comment by E – July 1, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing.

Comment by MDEP – July 1, 2011 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is awful, i cant believe they are getting rid of chord, i thought he was great. is there any word on that lauren chick returning yet? bc they should get rid of her, she could be funny but the actress mumbles her lines and i can never understand her!

Comment by kelly – July 1, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAAAM.I’m going to miss you so bad :’(They give mercedes a relationship and then Sam leave………no waaay </3 but i'm happy for Blaine&Mike.They're my favorite character(and Kurt)

Comment by Ariadne – July 1, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harry Shum Jr has been around since what the 1st episode? And he wasnt a series regular till now…Im guess they just dont want to give Chord a pay upgrade but he will be around for most of the season like they have done with Harry

Comment by ggny – July 1, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if this relates to the winner of the Glee Project? Maybe Damian or one of the other boys wins, and they decided to get rid of Chord to make room for another guy.

I liked Trouty Mouth.

Comment by dan – July 1, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, I thought that Harry was already a regular he’s always dancing around. I don’t understand why Chord has to go. What will happen with the storyline with him and Mercedes…she deserves to be happy she’s the only girl on that show who hasn’t been in a relationship and I was so excited for her when she started going out with Sam. Why can’t everyone stay where they are? Besides they’re all graduating in season 3 thats when people should leave.

Comment by Kate – July 1, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also does this confirm Blaine will be apart of New Direction next year? Because i dont see how he could be a series regular and not be

Comment by ggny – July 1, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s really too bad, as the writers really could have made something of Sam’s character. Remember how he introduced himself as being dyslexic? What was the point of that revelation if the issue was never going to be explored? That would have been an interesting, DIFFERENT direction to take, rather than focusing all available energies on contrived relationship drama and various “orientation” crises. I don’t think it would have hurt RIB to spread the love to kids with learning disabilities. News flash: they also have self-esteem issues and get bullied.

Comment by Erin – July 1, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dislike Chord not being picked up. I mean seriously, they made the guy sing “Friday” and then dumped him from the show. How cruel can you get?

Comment by Amy – July 1, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now WAIT a minute. WHY would his option being denied mean he’s gone? Harry’s was denied in season 2 and he was in EVERY episode. Unless CHORD wanted out, why would this mean he’s GONE? I think people are making a mistake until Ryan or Chord explain more. Think about it… why does being a “guest star” mean he’s gone? He was a guest star with Lauren and Mike all season.

Comment by Drew – July 1, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PLUS, why is there no news on Ashley Fink aka Lauren getting promoted? Darren, Chord, Harry, and Ashley were the ? marks… Ausiello, we need more details!

Comment by Drew – July 1, 2011 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ok, one last tidbit.. Ryan was talking about Darren and Chord in every interview this month as “successful new blood” and “only being juniors” next season so they’d be around for season 4. why the HELL get rid of Chord? Ryan the troll again?

Comment by Drew – July 1, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • maybe Chord didn’t like the contract he was offered. Lisa Edelstein walked from House for that reason.

Comment by A – July 1, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • At first I thought that might be the case as well, but when I reread the article, it was there was a regular option. From my understanding, that means it was Fox’s option to keep him full time, not the actors. Usually I wouldn’t think it matters, as other people have noted, you can be on a show without being a regular. However, RM stating “occasional guest star” makes me think it wont be as many appearance as last season.

Comment by Corinne – July 2, 2011 10:48 AM PDT
  • While very happy for Darren and Harry, I just have to say HUH? to losing Sam. They just set him up with Mercedes and could have played that story line, plus he seemed younger than the rest and could have been the gap between the old and the new class. NOT Cool!

Comment by Emily – July 1, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang, I’d rather see Mike Chang leave. He’s boring.

Comment by Jonathan – July 1, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mike not be a great singer but he brings something different to the table

Comment by ggny – July 1, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad about Chord, but his character didn’t really bring anything interesting to the overall story of Glee. I’mm happy Darren and Harry becoming regulars, now if only Max Adler can become a regular so i can see more Karofsky.

Comment by Erik – July 1, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What!? NO!! I want Chord to be on the show next season. I LOVE Sam!
    He BETTER become a regual!!!!!!! GR!

Comment by Payge Priscilla Ruby ! – July 1, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding me? Fans adore Chord and they could care less about Harry. Chord can actually sing and has a personality. Harry can dance that’s all he’s good for. They made such a good move introducing Sam into the cast and fans are gonna hate Ryan Murphy for not making him a regular. It’s stupid. Get rid of Mike and keep our trouty mouth<3

Comment by Allison – July 1, 2011 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lame. If anyone thinks people really care that much about Mike, these writers are just fools. This seems like a major mistake. Above all, I’d really prefer Max Adler being bumped up to series regular.

Comment by Justin – July 1, 2011 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darren should go. Blaine is the worst character in the show now… he is so boring (also? I’ve seen flat surfaces more deep and with more content than Blaine)… Kurt deserves much better.

Comment by Liz – July 1, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ill bet anything that if Harry Shum was dropped and Chord was made a regular people would be bitching about that…people just like to bitch about anything

Comment by ggny – July 1, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, the characters I’d love to see leave are Brittany (HATE her… she is completely unfunny and I have no use for airhead idiots like this) and Lauren.
    Season 2 was really disappointing, but I liked Chord as Sam just fine.
    The character of Mike serves no purpose other than dancing, so I’m not clear on why they’re keeping him, but I’m okay with it as long as he primarily dances and doesn’t become an air hog. (Tina is another one who does nothing for me, and he suffers from being paired with her.)

Comment by Traci – July 1, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love chord overstreet!!!!!!

Comment by sharone – July 1, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t like darren. i want sam!

Comment by donna – July 1, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s that about. This isn’t Darren instead of Chord. It isn’t Mike instead of Lauren. It isn’t Corey instead of Mark. It isn’t Lea instead of Heather. Ryan Murphy wants to take the show in a certain direction and Chord’s character Sam is seen as expendable. Why the hate on the other actors?

Comment by Duh – July 4, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard that when some of the cast graduates some will stay.And everyone in the glee club were juniors in season 2 except for Sam,so that means that everyone will move up to senior in season 3 except Sam since he will be a junior in season 3,and maybe even Brittany-undecided(since shes so stupid)and then when season 3 is over they will invite more people in with Chord Overstreet(Sam)when he is a senior and whoever failed their senior year,(maybe Brittany).

Comment by Kristen – July 1, 2011 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed. I was very much looking forward to seeing what would evolve between Sam and Mercedes…

Comment by Babygate – July 1, 2011 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really pissed about this. I’m really starting to hate Ryan Murphy. I hate his approach to the show. He makes so many decisions just for the hell of it. Why should I invest time in these characters if he’s just going to drop them for no reason?! Seriously not happy. It makes me not want to watch anymore.

Comment by lauren – July 1, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am soooo bummed! i was really looking forward to seeing where they took Mercedes and Sam… if he is graduating that is a good sign, but I don’t want them to have him just disappear. I really loved Chord… :(

Comment by Rach – July 1, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY would he insist on keeping that horribly untalented and grossly obese “Lauren Zises” and dump a hotty like Chord? What kind of bizzare sex tape/blackmail item does this actress HAVE on Ryan Murphy??? Damn. It must be pretty good (and incriminating) to keep her…

Comment by Leigh – July 1, 2011 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame that Chord won’t be in the next season, I was hoping to see more of him. Well, hopefully the script will be changed along the way to make space for his character, cause honestly, I don’t see the point in him leaving just because he isn’t a series regular. :/ I’m glad for Harry though – it’s been long overdue. I have no comment about Darren but let’s just hope this season turns out to be good. :)

Comment by Sue – July 1, 2011 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna miss my Trouty Mouth.
    And Samedes, and Fabrevans and Sam/Puck bromance

Comment by Jess – July 1, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. they had so much planned for Sam before Season 2 started. He was the closeted jock who Kurt would help come to terms with his sexuality. It was going to be a great coming out story. Then BLAINE comes along and since he’s played by Darren Criss, he IMMEDIATELY has hundreds of fans. I just wish they would’ve cut off Blaine instead of Sam.

Comment by Evelyn – July 1, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg no you can not just ditch samcedes i fell in love with sunshine and her amazing voice then you ditched her sam has grown on me and ive grown attached to the nerdy guy that still pulls off popularity samcedes is one of the beat matchups on the show has everyone forgptten the prom on a budget of 20 dollars that still worked talk about chemistry they have more than anyone else on the show

Comment by Dalton – July 1, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAM

Comment by refri – July 1, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fine with me. I never was in favour of introducing SAM as a character on glee anyway. He’s not needed in the show and I think its a right decision to kick him out.

Comment by bubble – July 1, 2011 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TROUTY MOUTHHHH!!!
    (but omfg darren im soooooo proud of you love)

Comment by CrissIsKing – July 1, 2011 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is just another reason for me not to watch Glee next season. Sorry Ryan Murphy, season 2 was ridiculously boring & frustrating to watch. The only episode I liked was Funeral. Now there are going to be no guest stars & Chord is gone when he started to date Mercedes? They’ve lost me as a viewer.

Comment by Beck – July 1, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But what about Max Adler and Ashley Fink???

Comment by Adrian – July 1, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they become regulars too. Especially Max.

Comment by Erik – July 2, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand the thought behind “graduating” the cast out however, once the main cast starts leaving so will I. It does not take a lot of imagination to come up with the idea that one TV season does not have to be one school year. Think outside of the box!

Comment by Max – July 1, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about Harry, annoyed about Darren (not that I hate him (who could?) but more of the human prop known as BLAND (and no, it isn’t a typo), and have to say I don’t care either way about Chord. Now, make Max Adler a regular, RM.

Comment by Marco – July 1, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “hit show may give diva the boot” :D

Comment by evs – July 1, 2011 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really disappointed by this. I was looking forward to seeing Mercedes and Sam together next season as a couple. I wonder if Chord will at least be in the season premiere.

Comment by Belle – July 1, 2011 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Belle – July 1, 2011 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO CHORD OVERSTREET?!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO D’:
    And I just might stop watching glee after dianna agron and mark Salling are out too )’:

Comment by Claudia – July 1, 2011 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Major bummer. Of the three, Chord is my favourite Glee character. I was actually starting to like him more than Finn, who is my favourite male character. I could give a rat’s ass about Blaine, they focus way too much on him in the warblers and it always pissed me off. I do like Mike though. Still Chord’s the first I’d want on as a series regular.

Comment by Miranda – July 1, 2011 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sucks about Chord :/
    I don’t see why he has to get rid of Quinn, Rachel, Puck and Finn.
    They are the stars of the show, why not spilt the school year in half for two more seasons?
    Try and focus on the main characters if it’s the last season for them, don’t bring in new ones -_-

Comment by Lisa – July 1, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i totally agree!! i would like to see a quinn and puck storyline about their BABY and i am interested to see what will happen with finn and rachel, they are the only reason i watch the show anymore

Comment by jillian – July 2, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would also prefer Darren to leave,the only good songs I could think of him are Teenage Dream and Baby It’s Cold Outside, and those were held by Colfer’s screen presence.

We can’t lose Trouty Mouth now.

Save Trouty Mouth!