Glee's Best Performance? 'Umbrella,' 'Parade,' 'Valerie,' 'Teenage' and More Enter the Ring!

Welcome to Day 2 of the Glee All-Time Best Musical Number Bracket Tournament, where we’ve got four duels that include everything from rap to Broadway, and Neil Diamond to Amy Winehouse.

Glee Exclusive: Darren Criss and Harry Shum Jr. In, Chord Overstreet Out!

Indeed, this broad mix of moments is indicative of the overall diversity of the 64 players in our single-elimination competition that will once and for all settle the debate over which song-and-dance interlude ranks at No. 1 in the two-season history of Fox’s smash high-school dramedy.

Every day around 4:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of bouts that will have you joyously reliving your favorite Glee moments and biting your nails wondering how in the heck you’re gonna decide between ’em. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming week, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed-in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. lilly says:

anyone else expecting teenage dream to win it all?

• Anon R says:

I am.

• Becks says:

I’m expecting Teenage Dream to end up in an epic battle against Don’t Stop Believin’.

• S says:

Yeah. In my opinion the final round will be Don’t Stop Believin’ x Teenage Dream or I Feel Pretty/Unpretty.

• serialfan says:

I feel pretty/Unpretty is THE best mash up ever done! they created a whole new song! (althought Start me up/ living on a prayer, Confessions/it’s my life and Halo/walking on sunshine were great too…) What about Somebody to love? I still have tears after god knows how many listenings when Mercedes hits and hold that last note…

• Caroline says:

I totally agree! I feel like it could be Somebody to Love against Teenage Dream, in which case I wouldn’t even know what to vote for!

• just my opinion says:

That’s too bad because Teenage Dream is kind of boring. It’s one of my least favorites.

• Drew says:

That would be a horrendous travesty. Darren stans will probably sit and vote until he wins, but the song is so damn bland. Best song should be a group song or Naya song anyway :)

• jenn says:

honestly I adore Naya. She deff had one of the most under-apreciated voices on the show for a long time. Id love to vote a Naya song to the top. I also adore teenage dream, mostly because I was never that sucked up by the original version< but when glee did it, it wowed me. Can I make them both win? lol

• Bryce says:

Everytime Naya sings I end up downloading the song. I really hope she sings more next season. I honestly think she has the best voice on the show! I’m pretty Songbird is going againts Blackbird. NAYA FANS BETTER VOTE.

• WHATEVS says:

I love how it is only Darren stans that can supposedly like it….

• Daniel says:

So, here’s what you missed on Glee Michael: MARRY YOU – Furt
      BEST PERFORMANCE EVEER! Besides, Don’t Stop Believing

• remi says:

Why isn’t Sunshine Corazon singing “Listen” not a choice? She was amazing and sang that song better than even Beyonce.

• JDHetherington says:

It is. It just isn’t up yet. Check the whole contest bracket

• Linda Lantin says:

Sunshine Corazon has an amaing voice. We are lessening to her song “listen” and she sang it better than the orignal. She is fabulous

• Joana says:

Hell to the yes xD

• Anonymous says:

Don’t Stop Believing is going to win hands down.

It is the first, the biggest and still the best of all of Glee’s hits.

Compare it to American Idol winners and runner-up. After 10 years, the best remains the very first and her first song, Kelly Clarkson and A Moment Like This. Just as Kelly and AMLT defines Idol to this day, Don’t Stop Believing will always define Glee.

• My Parade says:

My all time best

2. Alison says:

Making me pick between “Valerie” and “Sweet Caroline,” two of my favorite songs from the show, is pure torture.

3. Tim says:

No links?

• Kari G says:

I agree… they could link to the itunes version so I don’t have to do all the work myself ;) Most of them I remember, but some, like Rose’s Turn, I needed a refresher.

4. Brice Gilbert says:

Valerie really should win it all. It’s the best coreographed, best sung, and best song outside the show.

5. Nicki says:

Poor Rose’s Turn, is has no chance against Don’t Rain on my Parade.

6. Hmm says:

Well, I don’t know, but I’m here to root for Pretty/Unpretty ^^

• Stacy says:

me too! that’s one of my favorites. anything but teenage dream, i hate that song

• Amy says:

I Feel Pretty/Unpretty is one of my all-time favorites! It was so unexpected (Rachel and Quinn?) and beautiful. I was so taken aback the first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. I still vote for Don’t Stop Believin’ as the best though. Somebody to Love close too.

7. Jessica says:

I would so be okay with that, although pairing it with Bust A Move almost isn’t even fair

8. Kelley says:

How about True Colors from first Season. I thought that was very effective.

Or for fun gimmicky, I still get a kick out of the Bad Romance, Lady Gaga tribute, or the Michael Jackson/Thiller, Heads will roll mashup with the marching band.

And still, nothing nailed Glee for me for fun when the football team did ‘Put a Ring on it’.

9. Stacie says:

Valerie was not only a great vocal by Santana(Naya), but the dancing of Brittany(Heather) and Mike(Harry) was the best dancing from any group performance. They really killed it. Plus it was Santana’s first solo ever so that’s kind of special right there.

• Sandy says:

Actually Science Fiction Double Feature in Rocky Horror was Naya Rivera’s first solo. Anyway, totally agree with you about Valerie

• Jessica says:

Oh…I forgot about that too. Probably because I try to block that episode out of my memory as much as possible.

10. Raya says:

Rose’s Turn vs. Don’t Rain on My Parade is cruel and unusual. :(

• HK says:

This was my first thought when coming to this page as well. :/

• Raya says:

It’s especially bad because obviously everyone’s going to vote for Don’t Rain on My Parade, but I honestly think Rose’s Turn is the number that has been most emotional and changed the plot/etc. the most (since it was a big character turning point) through both two seasons. It’s definitely my favorite song Chris has done, and while Don’t Rain on My Parade is obviously fabulous, I at least wish Rose’s Turn didn’t have to go so early. It’s better than just about any other song on the bracket.

• Hera says:

Totally agree!Its sad to see Rose’s Turn loose,because its a personal favorite of mine!& it was sung amazingly by Chris.<3

• Sally says:

Agree. I love Don’t rain on my parade (it’s one of my favourites), but I voted for Rose’s turn. Lea Michele ist fabulous, but the emotions that Chris Colfer puts into that song… It’s amazig!!! It gives me shivers every time I watch that scene. Too bad that it’s not going to win.

11. Amy says:

‘Don’t Rain On My Parade’ is by far the most listened to Glee song on my iTunes. Rachel at her best.

12. Tharcyla says:

Don’t Rain on My Parade – perhaps my all-time favorite glee cover. Lea Michele is beyond amazing!

13. angelstorm says:

Um “Don’t Rain on my Parade” for the win ! My favorite song from all 2 seasons by a landslide !

14. L. says:

Rooting for Don’t rain On My Parade. I’ve got chills (they’re multiplying :p) everytime I listen to this song.

15. Remibaxter says:

I love Artie singing “Isn’t she lovely” and also “Imagine” makes me cry every time. Very impressive to take a song that has been done so many times and make it unique.

16. Trista says:

Best Glee performance – so hard to choose

My faves are Thriller, Don’t Rain on My Parade, My Life Would Suck without you, and Silly Love Songs

17. blairx8 says:

How do you expect someone to choose between DROMP and Rose’s Turn!?! Those are two of my absolute favorites.

18. journey Streams says:

Rose’s Turn and Don’t Rain on my Parade? This. Is. Madness

19. kat says:

i’m rooting for don’t rain on my parade in this… but my fave Glee song is by far happy days/get happy duet between Kurt and Rachel. Love love love that performance. :)

20. cathy says:

all these brackets are missing “safety dance”! c’mon… artie dancing?!?! that’s gotta be one of the top numbers!

21. ggny says:

Im a huge Darren Cross/Blaine fan but what was so great about Teenage Dream? Because i just dont see it…Don’t Rain on My Parade was 100000x better. My best guess is that it was something new on the show when it started to get boring so people thought it amazing because really it was just above average…Most of the solo’s Kurt has have are better and even Puck’s Sweet Caroline was better imo

• mgawsmestevan says:

Darren Cross? Really? You’re a fan of Darren Cross? lol Its Darren Criss. Anyways the reason Teenage Dream was praised was for two reasons. 1; it was another boy serenading Kurt on Network television, 2; it was completely accapella. Something we had never heard or saw on the show until that episode. Which makes it Unique to Sweet Caroline or any Kurt solo. I think the harmonies and sound of Teenage Dream were incredible. I mean now it seems overplayed and outdated. But at the time it was an incredible cover and still is.

• ggny says:

you just confirm what i wrote, thanks…also Blaine wasnt serenading Kurt if i remember correctly Blaine was in love with the manager from Gap around the time he did Teenage Dream

22. Ann says:

Ouch! Don’t rain on my parade vs Rose’s Turn! Too bad for Rose!

23. Anna says:

Soul sister just needs to go away!!!! Teenage Dream FTW!!!

24. Christle says:

I kind of hate you for making me pick between Don’t Rain On My Parade and Rose’s Turn. I love them both equally, so I just didn’t vote on that one.

25. Tracy says:

Where is “River Deep, Mountain High”??????

26. Kate says:

I cannot stand Mr. Schue. Therefore, I shall be voting against any performance in which he sang.

27. Luke says:

I want to know why Somewhere only we know and Misery don’t even appear on the bracket!

• Paris says:

Misery sucked butt only Adam Levine can sing that song and only somewhere we know actually bored me

• Kari G says:

Agree on the Somewhere Only We Know. I adored the Glee version and can’t believe it didn’t make the full bracket. It’s one of my fav Glee songs for sure.

28. Ana says:

Sweet Caroline was so much better than Valerie. I hope it wins…

29. Laure says:

Putting anything up against DROMP is unfair. It’s the best performance ever on Glee.

30. SBR says:

I can’t believe Dream On isn’t even offered as a choice here. Hands down, the best, most spinal-tap-without-the-irony number of all time.

31. Sam says:

Not to be “that guy,” but I thought Teenage Dream, like every song that doesn’t feature Kurt, was way overproduced. Here’s an idea, kids (aka, Glee writers): Try NOT taking sandpaper to the vocals and smoothing them down beyond recognition!

32. martymcflyjb says:

SLEZ!!! How dare you pair Keep Holding On against Like a Prayer in the first round! :P

33. Cory says:

Most of these were easy (though I did hesitate slightly before voting for “Don’t Rain On My Parade”), but it was like Sophie’s Choice choosing between “Valerie” and “Sweet Caroline.” I went with Valerie largely because of Mike and Brittany’s awesome dance moves, but it was tough.

34. Andrew says:

I personally feel that Songbird and Jar of Hearts have been the best performances of the series, by far. I rarely listen to anything from Glee more than once, but I have listened to both songs repeatedly.

35. Caroline says:

Rose’s Turn vs. Don’t Rain on my Parade? You are cruel and unusual.

36. Jean says:

How awful to pit “Rose’s Turn” and DROMP against each other so early. That’s not how you seed a tournament, y’all.

37. Alex says:

Where is Landslide?? I’m flabbergasted they left off the best number, or at least most emotionally moving number, this show has ever done. SLEZAK!

38. meggie says:

Didn’t love “Hey Soul Sister,” but the Singin/Umbrella mashup was so horrendous I have to vote for the Warblers there.

39. Paul says:

Am I the only one who thinks that Teenage Dream is a little overrated? Don’t hate me.

40. ThereasonsY says:

Is this going to get hard ever?

41. nerdfightingdtargleek says:

COME ON! Rose’s turn is easily one of the best songs of the fist season! Chris Colfer’s voice was amazing not tomention his acting during that performance! TEnnage Dream is gonna win though because darren’s amazing and has tons of fangirls

42. Diogo says:

Don’t Rain on My Parade because the song is like immortal! xD
    Valerie because it’s Naya *_* and I’m very fond of Sweet Caroline.
    Teenage Dream is, along with Silly Love Songs, my favourite song from the Warblers.
    The mash-up, because what I said in the previous line. furthermore, gwyneth rocks!

43. Jill says:

I generally hate anything with Schu in it…purely because of principle, but compared to “Hey Soul Sister,” I didn’t have much of a choice.

44. Kenny says:

WHAT? How could they not put Defying Gravity in the list…..smh

• Esta says:

Are there parts of the country where they don;t do bracket tournaments? I see “Defying Gravity” on the full chart.

45. Gab says:

I find it incredible that the mash up of Open Your Heart/Borderline from the Madonna episode is not on here. It was a great song choice for the storyline (Finn still wanting Rachel, but she is dating Jesse St. James). It was one of those moments that was incredibly cheesy with the wind machines and the singing in the library. But it was glorious. The epitome of a muscial moment. PLUS, Finn and Rachel looked HOT and had amazing chemistry.

46. Teecie says:

All you people complaining about your faves NOT being included – please read the intro, and at the end follow the link to the COMPLETE 64 song bracket. Come back every day to check options for the day’s voting! GO “Defying Gravity!”

47. Mellie says:

Rose’s Turn is far superior to Parade, so this is depressing.

48. erin says:

i don’t even like umbrella/bust a move but i’ll vote for anything other than darren/warblers

49. Claire says:

I love so many of the performances, but my all-time favorite was the Baby It’s Cold Outside duet between Kurt and Blaine. It’s the only one that I’ve rewound and replayed over and over for at least a week. I’m a heterosexual married woman, but the sweet, piquant romantic moves between the two gay teens just somehow made my toes curl.

50. Lilly says:

I personally love “Teenage Dream”, “Landslide”, “I feel pretty/Unpretty”, “For Good”, “Defying Gravity”, and many others so much. However, I think if I had to choose, it would be “Keep Holding On”. It was the entire cast, and honestly gets me every time. I think that deserves the win.